Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bird Thread

+3
CarolinaHound
HotParadox
Qi123
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Bird Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Bird Thread

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 pm

HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Big Slick wrote:
Old Timer wrote:I come from a long line of hunters and fishermen, but I have always been taught from small on that there is only two times to pull the trigger and take a life, any life. One is for food and the other is for self defense. I have shot many animals in my life but I cannot see the "sport" of shooting an unarmed animal that has no chance of escape or fighting back just for the joy of killing it.

Disagree a little OT. My mom's side of the family are farmers and protecting the crop is priority #1. The crops are their livelyhood and wild pigs have become a huge problem in recent years. Ferel Pigs are like 500 lbs rats and are very destructive to local farmland. They are considered a nuisance like rats, and since they have no natural predators, their population goes unchecked. You will find a lot of local farmers who will hunt pigs not for food, not for sport, but for population control, and preservation of their crops. They shoot them and let them lay for the buzzards. A pack of pigs can destroy an entire field of crop.

They don't care about us shooting pigs. They aren't sweet and pretty as birds. It's perfectly alright for them to go buy their dead cow, chicken, and pig which has been tortured through out it's captive life and had a bolt shot through it's head so they can go to the store and pick up their meat. But God forbid those of us that want to work for our food to shoot a pretty little dove.
ok. first of all what slick said is perfectly legit.
second of all what you said is stupid. i refuse to eat veal, and for years i was a veggie. it took a lot to get me to eat meat again but that doesn't mean that i don't think of the torture some poor animals go through. that's another thread.

Neya neya neya boo boo. tongue

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Big Slick wrote:
Old Timer wrote:I come from a long line of hunters and fishermen, but I have always been taught from small on that there is only two times to pull the trigger and take a life, any life. One is for food and the other is for self defense. I have shot many animals in my life but I cannot see the "sport" of shooting an unarmed animal that has no chance of escape or fighting back just for the joy of killing it.

Disagree a little OT. My mom's side of the family are farmers and protecting the crop is priority #1. The crops are their livelyhood and wild pigs have become a huge problem in recent years. Ferel Pigs are like 500 lbs rats and are very destructive to local farmland. They are considered a nuisance like rats, and since they have no natural predators, their population goes unchecked. You will find a lot of local farmers who will hunt pigs not for food, not for sport, but for population control, and preservation of their crops. They shoot them and let them lay for the buzzards. A pack of pigs can destroy an entire field of crop.

They don't care about us shooting pigs. They aren't sweet and pretty as birds. It's perfectly alright for them to go buy their dead cow, chicken, and pig which has been tortured through out it's captive life and had a bolt shot through it's head so they can go to the store and pick up their meat. But God forbid those of us that want to work for our food to shoot a pretty little dove.
second of all what you said is stupid. i refuse to eat veal, and for years i was a veggie. it took a lot to get me to eat meat again but that doesn't mean that i don't think of the torture some poor animals go through. that's another thread.

I go no problem with protecting your crops as that is an entirely different thing than sport killing.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:18 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Big Slick wrote:

be careful out there hunting...never know when you may become the hunted...hehehehehehhe Very Happy Laughing bounce lol!
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Big Slick wrote:

be careful out there hunting...never know when you may become the hunted...hehehehehehhe Very Happy Laughing bounce lol!

that is very true as there are many idiots out there that will shoot at anything that moves even if they cannot identify it first.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Don't confuse hunting (for whatever reason) with depredation. Depredation is the same as placing mouse traps, baiting gophers/squirrels, swatting flies, or killing rabbits in Australia. Removing wild pigs to protect a crop is a way of life, and survival in many cases. However, they need not go to waste. Little effort is required to find them a new home (in someone's oven, BBQ or pit).

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:28 pm

DM007 wrote:Don't confuse hunting (for whatever reason) with depredation. Depredation is the same as placing mouse traps, baiting gophers/squirrels, swatting flies, or killing rabbits in Australia. Removing wild pigs to protect a crop is a way of life, and survival in many cases. However, they need not go to waste. Little effort is required to find them a new home (in someone's oven, BBQ or pit).

True but sometimes you can't get rid of them as fast as you're shooting them. Also, the big pigs are not good for eating. Their meat is very tough and very gamey tasting. The big ones are the ones you have to watch out for though. Those suckers will attack you!!
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:30 pm

HotParadox wrote:
ok, slick's twisted deer comment came in as i was posting this. so you're both stupid.

Stupid for eating deer? It's just like eating beef. Matter or fact, the meat is actually better for you anyway. It's not as fatty.
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Big Slick wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
ok, slick's twisted deer comment came in as i was posting this. so you're both stupid.

Stupid for eating deer? It's just like eating beef. Matter or fact, the meat is actually better for you anyway. It's not as fatty.
it's a joke. i don't think you're stupid and i certainly don't think carolina hound is stupid.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:48 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Big Slick wrote:

you're so delightfully white trash.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Big Slick wrote:
DM007 wrote:Don't confuse hunting (for whatever reason) with depredation. Depredation is the same as placing mouse traps, baiting gophers/squirrels, swatting flies, or killing rabbits in Australia. Removing wild pigs to protect a crop is a way of life, and survival in many cases. However, they need not go to waste. Little effort is required to find them a new home (in someone's oven, BBQ or pit).

True but sometimes you can't get rid of them as fast as you're shooting them. Also, the big pigs are not good for eating. Their meat is very tough and very gamey tasting. The big ones are the ones you have to watch out for though. Those suckers will attack you!!

Oh, I'm very familiar with wild pigs. And, you are right, but not entirely. They are good eating, but you can't just butcher and prepare them like you would farm raised pigs. Properly prepared, any game animal can be made a delicacy (even skunk, opossum, squirrel, etc.). It isn't for everyone, but there's no shortage of people wanting it. Farmers and land owners in my area hold "hunts", allowing people from out of the area to take animals that would normally be discarded. It satisfies the "primal need" of the hunter and removes the pests from the land. Everybody goes away happy. Many times, the land owner makes a handy little profit in the process. It's a means to an end. Animals taken for depredation purposes don't necessarily have to be consumed by people. Any zoo, wild animal park, and even pet food processors (commodity processors, in your phone book) will gladly take them off your hands. If you have enough volume, they will even pick them up. All it takes is a little effort, and not too much, at that.

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:50 pm

HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Big Slick wrote:

NOT to be confused with Redneck!

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:54 pm

DM007 wrote:Animals taken for depredation purposes don't necessarily have to be consumed by people. Any zoo, wild animal park, and even pet food processors (commodity processors, in your phone book) will gladly take them off your hands. If you have enough volume, they will even pick them up. All it takes is a little effort, and not too much, at that.

I never even thought about zoos and wild animal parks. That's a good suggestion. We have 2 big zoos here (Ft. Worth and Dallas) and we also have a big cat rescue park. Thanks for the suggestions.
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:17 pm

HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Big Slick wrote:

Thank ya kindly. I love you

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:36 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Thank ya kindly. I love you
i know! how funny is that!
only another stewie lover would get the humor!
I love you
The Bird Thread - Page 2 Stewie12 I love you

Last edited by HotParadox on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:The Bird Thread - Page 2 Jrw_0711

This little sparrow migrates to the lower states from Canada in the Winter and leaves anywhere from the lst. of April to the 15th..I have them at my feeders all winter long...but now is the sad time...watching for the day they are gone...at least they will be back next winter. They nest and bring up their broods in Canada.

the image wasn't showing up, so i corrected the picture for you, p.
HotMod

Speaking of the Junco...they left this morning...none were at my feeders all day...they were there yesterday. I'm in awe...I wish I knew what tells them when to leave...I quess its instinct but I'll miss them...and I saw my first cowbird so they are back...just amazing to watch
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:40 pm

i still have the little guys! the cowbirds are here. they have emptied out the feeders so the other guys have to wait until i get to the feed and grain store. tomorrow, i hope, p.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Qi123 Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:25 pm

The Bird Thread - Page 2 Wpt0063m_medium

The Bird Thread - Page 2 28303Noah_March13-med

I have a blue and gold macaw and a green amazon. Those are not the actual pics of them though.

Qi123

Male
Pisces Rat
Number of posts : 281
Humor : Hahaha
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:53 pm

too precious! spectacular birds.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:01 pm

HotParadox wrote:too precious! spectacular birds.

yeah, especially on a rotisserie basted with bbq sauce. hehehe Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2