Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No excuses thread...

4 posters

Go down

No excuses thread... Empty No excuses thread...

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:29 am

I think we all have things we want to do, maybe need to do, but we find excuses for not doing it. Here you can post things to give people inspiration and to show that in the grand scheme of things, an excuse is really a cover for fear or laziness.

For example, I've been learning to play guitar for about a year and a half. I'll record myself and put it over a video and show it to people. But when it comes to sitting in front of people and playing I get nervous and choke up. I've had a couple people ask me to come sit in with them, not really playing a gig or anything, but just a jam. Play a little, learn a little. But that fear comes up and I never do it. I mean what if I can't keep the rhythm? Or my fingers stumble and cross up, hitting the wrong string..etc. I ran across this guy on YouTube a few minutes ago. Can you imagine the laughs and giggles he gets when he walks in and straps on a bass?

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

No excuses thread... Empty Re: No excuses thread...

Post by Old Timer Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:44 am

I know I should really go and clean out the closet, but I am old, I am to tired, I don't feel very good, my back hurts to much, I need to go to the store first, I have to go to the bathroom, I'll get to it just as soon as this movie is over, I will take care of it just as soon as I finish my coffee, I will do it just as soon as I help my buddy move, why do I need to clean it for anyways I already know what is in there and where everything is, that stuff is not junk and I might need it someday ya know, Don't worry honey it is next thing on the list of things to do. Very Happy Surprised Cool

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 am

I don't use excuses for stuff like that OT. I'm just not gonna do it. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:54 am

CarolinaHound wrote:I don't use excuses for stuff like that OT. I'm just not gonna do it. Very Happy

You aint married either Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:59 am

Then I just kept the fishing poles in the truck so I could just go and pretend I didn't hear her. Very Happy Wink

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:32 am

Old Timer wrote:I know I should really go and clean out the closet, but I am old, I am to tired, I don't feel very good, my back hurts to much, I need to go to the store first, I have to go to the bathroom, I'll get to it just as soon as this movie is over, I will take care of it just as soon as I finish my coffee, I will do it just as soon as I help my buddy move, why do I need to clean it for anyways I already know what is in there and where everything is, that stuff is not junk and I might need it someday ya know, Don't worry honey it is next thing on the list of things to do. Very Happy Surprised Cool

sounds as though you're practising your procrastination abilities - I know about this in my own way; yesterday, I decided that I needed to clear out a couple of boxes of 'stuff' that had been sitting in the corner of a romm. Not doing anything except for taking up room. And, I thought; if whatevefr's in there has been in there sitting for so long [about four years] then it must not be that useful. This I concluded from being out of sight and mind for so long. Yeah, there was a part of me that said: ahhh, just let it go for another day and the image of me sitting watching t.v. was conjured up in my mind. Another discliplined part said; nahhhh, you're 'gonna do this! So I set it to do it. I was suprised by what I found; several useful items that I put away in a drawer, where they would be more accesible. Then, other items I decided I could sell and some that I would donate to Salvation Army - I wont donate to 'Good Will' as they are a sham business ran by franshised individuals that make a lot of money and their claim to helping others, just by hiring them and teaching them to work; well, after all, what does any business do? And no one gives these others free product. [excuse the deciation]. Anyhow, I diligently worked at it for better part of an hour, then another part of my psyche kicked n and I suddenly began to feel that it would be good to open the windows [beautiful day out] and take a nap - then, after being rested I could do better... the box was about two-thirds empty. So then, I complied with this urge! Cool Twisted Evil Razz Well, I woke up several hours later and we went out to eat! Basketball lol!
That box is still there ALMOST emptied and it's companion is right there with it... Oh, well, they'll keep. ANd honestly ['Kings X aside] I promise to give them further attention [?] SOON... albino Rolling Eyes
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:42 am

coontie wrote:
Old Timer wrote:I know I should really go and clean out the closet, but I am old, I am to tired, I don't feel very good, my back hurts to much, I need to go to the store first, I have to go to the bathroom, I'll get to it just as soon as this movie is over, I will take care of it just as soon as I finish my coffee, I will do it just as soon as I help my buddy move, why do I need to clean it for anyways I already know what is in there and where everything is, that stuff is not junk and I might need it someday ya know, Don't worry honey it is next thing on the list of things to do. Very Happy Surprised Cool

sounds as though you're practising your procrastination abilities - I know about this in my own way; yesterday, I decided that I needed to clear out a couple of boxes of 'stuff' that had been sitting in the corner of a romm. Not doing anything except for taking up room. And, I thought; if whatevefr's in there has been in there sitting for so long [about four years] then it must not be that useful. This I concluded from being out of sight and mind for so long. Yeah, there was a part of me that said: ahhh, just let it go for another day and the image of me sitting watching t.v. was conjured up in my mind. Another discliplined part said; nahhhh, you're 'gonna do this! So I set it to do it. I was suprised by what I found; several useful items that I put away in a drawer, where they would be more accesible. Then, other items I decided I could sell and some that I would donate to Salvation Army - I wont donate to 'Good Will' as they are a sham business ran by franshised individuals that make a lot of money and their claim to helping others, just by hiring them and teaching them to work; well, after all, what does any business do? And no one gives these others free product. [excuse the deciation]. Anyhow, I diligently worked at it for better part of an hour, then another part of my psyche kicked n and I suddenly began to feel that it would be good to open the windows [beautiful day out] and take a nap - then, after being rested I could do better... the box was about two-thirds empty. So then, I complied with this urge! Cool Twisted Evil Razz Well, I woke up several hours later and we went out to eat! Basketball lol!
That box is still there ALMOST emptied and it's companion is right there with it... Oh, well, they'll keep. ANd honestly ['Kings X aside] I promise to give them further attention [?] SOON... albino Rolling Eyes

And don't forget about that old football injury, you don't want that to start acting up again do ya. Very Happy Best take it easy for a week or so.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:08 am

auhhhh, yeah... thanks for the reminder; now that you mention it it seems like I recall that there were 'pangs' of such an old-injury commecning to rear it's head! Cool Twisted Evil Razz
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:30 pm

coontie wrote:auhhhh, yeah... thanks for the reminder; now that you mention it it seems like I recall that there were 'pangs' of such an old-injury commecning to rear it's head! Cool Twisted Evil Razz

Just glad I could be of help my friend. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:26 am

Back in my younger years. I played guitar a lot. I actually started to get good at it. I had no fear of jamming with people because I would just let it rip. I have not picked up a guitar in years, and would sound quite foolish if I played today. Though back in the day I used to practice scales. I would know what key someone was in and could always improvise something. I feel in my humble opinion when jamming just know the the keys of the song, and let it rip. I met some really good musicians in my early twenties. This was while I was in the Navy. Man they would bitch about me bringing my guitar on board a submarine. Though in my time off I would just play, and play. I used to have a '74 Gibson solid body SG. Man I miss that guitar to this day. I had it set up so the strings were really close to the fretboard. It was a really nice guitar.
Though when it was ripped off from me. For some reason I never played again. I guess a small piece of me died that day. I don't if you can understand why I never played again. I don't even know if I understand why. Though that guitar was a part of me. When it was gone my desire to play went as well.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 am

Theophilus wrote:Back in my younger years. I played guitar a lot. I actually started to get good at it. I had no fear of jamming with people because I would just let it rip. I have not picked up a guitar in years, and would sound quite foolish if I played today. Though back in the day I used to practice scales. I would know what key someone was in and could always improvise something. I feel in my humble opinion when jamming just know the the keys of the song, and let it rip. I met some really good musicians in my early twenties. This was while I was in the Navy. Man they would bitch about me bringing my guitar on board a submarine. Though in my time off I would just play, and play. I used to have a '74 Gibson solid body SG. Man I miss that guitar to this day. I had it set up so the strings were really close to the fretboard. It was a really nice guitar.
Though when it was ripped off from me. For some reason I never played again. I guess a small piece of me died that day. I don't if you can understand why I never played again. I don't even know if I understand why. Though that guitar was a part of me. When it was gone my desire to play went as well.

But if you could find it in yourself to play again, when you retire it will fill a gap in the time of day. You could rediscover your love of music and the joy of playing it again. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:52 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:I think we all have things we want to do, maybe need to do, but we find excuses for not doing it. Here you can post things to give people inspiration and to show that in the grand scheme of things, an excuse is really a cover for fear or laziness.

For example, I've been learning to play guitar for about a year and a half. I'll record myself and put it over a video and show it to people. But when it comes to sitting in front of people and playing I get nervous and choke up. I've had a couple people ask me to come sit in with them, not really playing a gig or anything, but just a jam. Play a little, learn a little. But that fear comes up and I never do it. I mean what if I can't keep the rhythm? Or my fingers stumble and cross up, hitting the wrong string..etc. I ran across this guy on YouTube a few minutes ago. Can you imagine the laughs and giggles he gets when he walks in and straps on a bass?

There's a well established organization named "Toastmasters" that was founded just for the purpose of helping people get over being fearful of getting up in front of people and speakinjg or performing.
Would you believe that the problem lies in childhodd where a person was unduly shamed; likely by parents or someone that made an impression upon them?
Otherwise, it is said that people that are so self-conscious in this regard just take theirself too seriously...
You should keep challenging yourself, daring yourself to perform and tell people that you are trying to change this problem. You will be suprised at how many people have this problem and are very understanding in regards to wanting to help anyone. If you mess up, just keep going, or quickly apologize and start all over, or correct the instance of the mistake and keep on going.
I think I mentioned getting up in front of tenth grade health class because I had to give a report and I just stood there and laughed like a fool until the teacher told me to sit down. Most of the class had a good laugh about that as well. So, if it is true that laughter is good medicine, then I accomplished a lot of good for those people that day.
Anyhow, I think that was because I was self-conscious in that regard. I was really not very well prepared for my talk and knew it - that was the problem.
When giving a talk, if a person rehearshes their talk and knows their subject, that is what is needed to be sucessful in perfomring in front of an audience. Using one's wife or friends to rehearse in front of is very helpful. Other performances, such as acting, dancing or playing a instrument, especially solo, in front of an audience; same thing. Know your instrument, know your music pieces and words, if you are singing them - rehearse, rehears, rehearse.
And rtemember: don't take yourself so seriously; no one else does anyone else. People are usually very accomodating and uncritical. That is unless somebody gets up in fron of people saying they are a comedian and personally insuilts somebody in the audience. Then, there's a problem.
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Well, I have noticed when I have things to do and don't really feel motivated, I set goals for AT LEAST what I desire to accomplish for that day. The, I challenge myself to stick with it and accomplish as much as I can in regard to the task I have established for that day or period. When I find this other little voice in my mind saying "I'm getting tired", "I need a break", "It would be nice to go in where it is coll and get some refreshing beverage and sit and watch a little t.v. news and maybe take a little nap and... Then, I allow this [must be] disciplined part] of me to be in charge and say to the 'other': "okay, you can do that, but first you have to finish with so and so, then maybe after a break, come back and finsihe the project, or, at least when it is cooler" - no manipulation of the minds. That way I can get things done that I need to. It is so luxurious and inviting, especially on a really hot day to just allow all sort of lame excuses to cloud one's mind!
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:13 am

My grandfather once told me that if I really wanted to do something or get something done I would find a way to do it. but if I really didn't wnat to do it I would find a thousand reasons why I couldn't do it.

Job for the day == clean out garage.

I wnet to the garage to get it cleaned out and saw that the light bulbs were out, so I went back to the house to get some new bulbs. Couldn't fine any. Maybe tomorrow I will go get some. Hope I am not this tired tomorrow.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Old Timer wrote:My grandfather once told me that if I really wanted to do something or get something done I would find a way to do it. but if I really didn't wnat to do it I would find a thousand reasons why I couldn't do it.

I wnet to the garage to get it cleaned out and saw that the light bulbs were out, so I went back to the house to get some new bulbs. Couldn't fine any. Maybe tomorrow I will go get some. Hope I am not this tired tomorrow.

Oh, you know the Light Bilb out being a legitimate 'out', too, eh? Razz
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:46 pm

coontie wrote:
Old Timer wrote:My grandfather once told me that if I really wanted to do something or get something done I would find a way to do it. but if I really didn't wnat to do it I would find a thousand reasons why I couldn't do it.

Oh, you know the Light Bilb out being a legitimate 'out', too, eh? Razz

But of course, why do today that which you can always put off until tomorrow. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down