Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PROBLEM? ASK ME FOR HELP

+15
counterpoint
Night-Reaper
xshivx
DM007
PaulM
Peregrine(Endangered)
Theophilus
CarolinaHound
Cartoon Head
Big Slick
Old Timer
catch-22
Admin
luciano
HotParadox
19 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

PROBLEM? ASK ME FOR HELP - Page 6 Empty Re: PROBLEM? ASK ME FOR HELP

Post by Night-Reaper Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Hey HP, I recently talked to KC and she says that the reason she has not been here on this site is that she caught a trojan. She thinks she may have picked it up on this site. It took her three days to get rid of it. Do you anyone else that has had problems like that.
Night-Reaper
Night-Reaper

Male
Number of posts : 832
Humor : being a wise cracker
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Night-Reaper wrote:Hey HP, I recently talked to KC and she says that the reason she has not been here on this site is that she caught a trojan. She thinks she may have picked it up on this site. It took her three days to get rid of it. Do you anyone else that has had problems like that.
nobody's mentioned anything like that to us. we would have discussed it and looked into it. if i hear anything regarding a similar problem, i'll post it here. thanks for the info, n-r.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:29 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Night-Reaper wrote:Hey HP, I recently talked to KC and she says that the reason she has not been here on this site is that she caught a trojan. She thinks she may have picked it up on this site. It took her three days to get rid of it. Do you anyone else that has had problems like that.
nobody's mentioned anything like that to us. we would have discussed it and looked into it. if i hear anything regarding a similar problem, i'll post it here. thanks for the info, n-r.

I have pickup a virus bout 5 or 6 times while on serving.com it is always the same virus. My security has always caught it and stopped it.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

I have pickup a virus bout 5 or 6 times while on serving.com it is always the same virus. My security has always caught it and stopped it.
what's serving dot com?
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:29 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

what's serving dot com?

It's where those ads were served from. Wink

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:30 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

what's serving dot com?

That5 is one of the icons we use to put a picture here. Starting from the left it is number 15

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:50 pm

okay, ot, the host an image icon. i've not had a problem with that. let's see if more people are having that problem, as well as the other.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:20 pm

It happened again, itseems to happen when you are on the screen that lets you chose the code. Here is the virus, it is always the same. I made it big and seperated so it wont work.

J S /X I L O S

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 pm

i'm not having that problem on my computer when i go into the icons, ot.
i'm just checking in for a few mins, but i'll shoot it over to luciano.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:00 pm

PROBLEM? ASK ME FOR HELP - Page 6 Gir13

test
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon
Number of posts : 577
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 pm

OT, when this happens to you are you clicking on the "copy" button to copy the code to your clipboard?

If so... I suspect that is where it is coming from because each time I attempted it I was asked if I wanted the program to access my clipboard. Since I don't like "foreign" software accessing my pc I declined... the image was not copied, but the code was highlighted.
I then hit "ctrl-c" to copy the code to my clipboard myself (rather than have the software do it) Nothing unusual happened.

This may be an issue with the "serving.com" coding instead of the forum itself. I recommend bypassing their software one of two ways.
1. Copy the code to your clipboard, as I mentioned earlier, and paste it yourself.
2. Host your own images... for example; I use a specific folder on both of my servers and my wife's server for forum images... I just link to the image.

If you do not have server space you can access then I recommend option 1 since it would be the easiest.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:33 am

JS/Xilos looks like it is definitely a virus from the short bit of research I did just now. Im gonna read up on it a bit, hopefully Pauly can help or someone else here maybe. Im not the best at removing viruses, Ive had very little of them in the 5 years Ive been roaming these internets. But I will do my best to help you remove it, if no one has gotten it quarantined and removed by tomorrow night, I gotta work, sometimes I get off a lil early on Fridays.........but I can do my best to help you remove it.

What Security Software do you have OT? If you have McAfee by chance I highly recommend you look up their help forum they have on comcast.net, its under the "Community" tag. But if you know what the name is try looking for a support forum for the software. Removing viruses can be a pain in the butt and its best to get help from a real deal computer geek usually. Use google and type "__________ support forum" and you will most likely find one.

But like I said, Im gonna try to read up on it tonight a bit, and tomorrow. I'll tell you who might help you but he de-activated his account here, is catch-22, he knows his stuff. Im sure he would help too, hes a good guy.

I hope you dont have to re-format but I know sometimes with viruses you have to do that, have you made back-up disks by chance?

Anyway OT, I hope you get this squared away by tomorrow but if you havent I will get in contact with you as soon as I get home from work(usually between 6-7pm, sometimes earlier) tomorrow night and we'll try to work this out

Are there any computer Wizzes here that could help OT?

OT if you want to start a thread here in GC, dedicated to this subject, feel free. I dont know why but on every forum Ive ever been on, I always skip the stickys, lol. Maybe someone else will see it that way and help you out.

If you google "JS/Xilos", dont click any of the links please, but you will see its a virus, unless you know that site personally. And using a web-based virus scanner might not be the best idea right now Ive heard with the Conflicker worm out there.

Hope you get worked out OT
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 517

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:56 am

OT, I just remembered I have to meet my wife and kids at a restaraunt after work for her dad's b-day tomorrow night, so it will be 8-9pm EST when I get home.Smile

I'll pm you as soon as I get online.
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:14 am

More info on it here... This is McAfee's information on it.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99460.htm

It's, basically, a java-script based virus. In other words... the buttons in that window employ java-script and could likely be the source.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:59 am

Well thanks for the mention but I use Windows live one care for security. I can tell you that nothing and I mean nothing gets past it with out my appoval, it stops anything and everthing from getting on. I have had Macafee and norton and they don;t even compare. this even does a tune up once a month. I just wanteed to let ya know where it was coming from. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:49 am

Old Timer wrote:Well thanks for the mention but I use Windows live one care for security. I can tell you that nothing and I mean nothing gets past it with out my appoval, it stops anything and everthing from getting on. I have had Macafee and norton and they don;t even compare. this even does a tune up once a month. I just wanteed to let ya know where it was coming from. Very Happy

Good... I'm glad you haven't "caught" anything. If nothing else this info may be useful to other members.

luciano's been following this thread as well... maybe he can get word to forumotion about this.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:02 am

Ok sweet, Im glad you are on top of things OT. I think Im gonna see if I can disable the button that leads to servimg. I wish you guys would just use photobucket or imageshack, because those are the ones that everyone uses, they are safe.

Everyone stop using servimg please. Im gonna try to remove it.

Edit: Sorry for taking so long to respond, ended up having a pretty good time Wink
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:13 am

OT, look you arent the only one, this is on the "forum of the forums" admin help forum they have here at forumotion.

http://help.forumotion.com/other-problems-f46/i-picked-up-a-virus-at-servimgcom-t33102.htm?highlight=servimg

I cant remember my password or what email I used on that forum, lol, I know HP has an account on that forum, maybe she will copy/paste the name of the virus in the thread for us. But she has a lot on her plate. I'll figure it out in the morning when Ive had a chance to let the yuengling run its course Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 187
Humor : Sure

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:15 am

OT, do you only get that when you click the serveimg button? If so, the box that appears is javascript. Java script, and other forms of code used for such type of apps can often be picked up by antivirus programs, especially the good antivirus software, and most that are set for high protection. It won't harm your computer, but since a lot of viruses use java, sometimes the virus software will light up from harmless java used for site navigation. Just a thought.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:32 am

Admin wrote:OT, look you arent the only one, this is on the "forum of the forums" admin help forum they have here at forumotion.

http://help.forumotion.com/other-problems-f46/i-picked-up-a-virus-at-servimgcom-t33102.htm?highlight=servimg

I cant remember my password or what email I used on that forum, lol, I know HP has an account on that forum, maybe she will copy/paste the name of the virus in the thread for us. But she has a lot on her plate. I'll figure it out in the morning when Ive had a chance to let the yuengling run its course Very Happy
happy to do so, l. here is a vital page, the most important that i could find, and i am posting it in total. l, if you want to delete any parts of this post after you have read it, please do so. i am posting it because you can't access your account right now.

The forum of the forums

Error message/ virus
Post TeamBlueOval on March 25th 2009, 3:15 pm
I have had several members complain of virus issues on my site over the past few days.

Here is a post by one of those users:

While I haven't had any problems visiting that site in the past, yesterday I took a peek, and both of my virus detectors went off. There are some serious virus's there. A couple of different kinds of Trojan's,

rootkit-Agent DM,
Downloader.zlob.AKF
Adload_R.HW
Injector.CD

and a virus called win32/heur.

So far, they are only in my temporary internet files, but the adware on that site appears to be malicious. I am running top and low level scans on that computer now.

Can someone who is over at that board contact the webmaster and let him know? And then check your computer?

And my apologies to any who have had problems from malicious adware due to that site. I had no intention of causing that!

fordfans.forumotion.com

Do you know what could be causing these viruses and/or how to correct the problem?

Thanks.

TeamBlueOval
Forumotion Member

Language: English

Re: Error message/ virus

Post whatzit on March 25th 2009, 11:27 pm
I can't answer your questions, but I am very glad to see this subject mentioned.

Three members of our forum have had their computers BADLY brought down by this very malicious virus... every one of the three had to wipe and re-format their hard-drives. Not good... not good at all. It seems to have been a trojan masquerading as a virus protection!

My question is this: What is ForuMotion doing to protect itself from any further attacks? I would really love to hear from a ForuMotion representative about this.

Thank you for your time. Our forum members need some reassurance.

whatzit
Forumotion Member

Post Sanket on March 26th 2009, 9:15 am
I have never seen such a complaint, of virus attacks. Also on visiting your site, my virus scan(updated everyday) never detected anything. To recheck my notion, i used my bro's laptop who has a different antivirus still nothing. There is nothing wrong with forumotion, or virus attacks due to forumotion.

Problems with Categories, Signatures not showing, navigation button rights, anything related to the updates?? Arrow Click Here

Sanket

Male

Post Garmar on March 26th 2009, 10:51 am
I'm also having similar issues with the ads on my forumotion site redirecting members and causing their anti-virus software to take action. I went on the site as a guest and my anti-virus flagged this.

As you can imagine, this is quite disturbing for me considering I'm trying to encourage new membership and if my guests are redirected - or think they have entered a site full of virus activity...why join my site?

Otherwise I'm extremely happy with the site hosting. Could the ad activation be allowing malicious sites to post their adware on my site? Can I screen this somehow?

Thanks,

Garmar.

Garmar
Forumotion Member

Language: english

Post whatzit on March 26th 2009, 11:11 am

Sanket wrote:There is nothing wrong with forumotion, or virus attacks due to forumotion.

Sanket, I appreciate your confidence, and I also appreciate your reply. However, the fact of the matter is that there ARE malicious pop-ups originating from individual ForuMotion sites. I really would appreciate someone in security at your site looking into this matter and getting back to us as soon as possible.

I would also like to note that a couple of the forum members who were attacked/infected were using a much safer browser than Internet Explorer (Firefox, in fact) which is much more difficult to hit, being very prudent at blocking pop-ups and recognizing threats.

We have forum members waiting for the word that all is well.

Garmar, thank you for posting your experience also.

whatzit
Forumotion Member

Post Sanket on March 26th 2009, 11:23 am
Garmar, can your provide your forumotion URL. Let me check it on my bro's laptop which does have Norton(Updated) if it too has the same error.

whatzit I seriously am confident, that there are no pop-up ads on forumotion.

Problems with Categories, Signatures not showing, navigation button rights, anything related to the updates?? Arrow Click Here

Sanket

Male

Post whatzit on March 26th 2009, 11:44 am

Sanket wrote:I seriously am confident, that there are no pop-up ads on forumotion.

You can have full confidence that there are no PAID pop-up ads on ForuMotion, but that does not include the malicious intrusive viral pop-ups that did NOT arrange with admins to be there. I assure you, these exist. I have been on three different ForuMotion forums over the past two years or so, and I have never seen anything like this problem before. I too, am shocked and dismayed.

If you would like more information (specifics) about our situation, please PM me, as ours is not a public site.

Thank you for looking into this.

whatzit
Forumotion Member

Post Kumiko on March 26th 2009, 11:59 am
we've had complaints on our site too, about possible viruses, spyware and trojan horses

http://bleachsociety.motionforum.net

Just "warnings" in the sponsors/ads thing, and one member says the screen of her anti-virus goes red for a split second when she clicks sends on PMs

I personally never had problems on the forum, with AVG anti-virus, but that's maybe because it isnt the best anti-virus in the world ^^;;

Last edited by Kumiko on March 26th 2009, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kumiko
Forumotion Member

Female
Language: French

Post Sanket on March 26th 2009, 12:03 pm
whatzit, its upto you if you want me to check it or not.

Kumiko, sorry but i don't find anything.

Sanket

Male

Post Garmar on March 26th 2009, 12:20 pm

Sanket wrote:Garmar, can your provide your forumotion URL. Let me check it on my bro's laptop which does have Norton(Updated) if it too has the same error.

http://review-group.forumotion.com/index.htm

I didn't post it originally because I wasn't sure if it was against forum rules.

It is an intermittent problem. I run Firefox also and I get redirected when I go to my site sometimes. Several of my members have sent me a PM about this issue also.

Thanks,

Garmar.

Garmar
Forumotion Member

Post Sanket on March 26th 2009, 12:26 pm
Garmar, glad you waited before posting the link.

I don't see any warning by my virus scan. Don't really see a problem.

Sanket

Male

Post Garmar on March 26th 2009, 12:42 pm
This is a very odd issue. Is it possible that some of the Google Ads at the top of my screen contain malicious programs? I just went on and no problems. Like I said - it's intermittent. I've been to sites before that redirected you as soon as the page loaded and one thing in common was the Google ads running.

I appreciate you looking in to this. Is there any way for me to screen out malware from my site? Like the firewall on my computer, but for the website? To be frank, I'm worried that some new malware from one of those ads has infected my computer and the computers of my other members. Because Firefox should not be allowing the redirecting and pop-ups since I have these set up to filter out such problems. Thankfully my anti-virus caught the attack this morning.

Thanks,

Garmar.

Edit: note that the ads change periodically, so the problem exists some times and not others.

Garmar
Forumotion Member

Post Kumiko on March 26th 2009, 12:53 pm
Thank you for having checked out my site.

I'll say like Gramar: The ads change/rotate, so not all ads may do this, but one in particular does. Seeing it's google ads, it has to be a problem that google can look into it too.

I'm not an expert, but I still wanted to share my opinion if you guys can do anything about it ^^;

Kumiko
Forumotion Member

Female

Post Garmar on March 26th 2009, 1:12 pm
And to top it off, I'm getting posts like this from members. Received less than 15 minutes ago.

Actually, my computer has frozen up completely on more than one occasion when this site attempted to impose popups . . . one of which has a guy shouting at me through my speakers!

If I was not a strong supporter of you, Gary, I would not return to this site. It's just too scary and intrusive, especially knowing that there is a major new virus set to trigger on April Fools day. If possible, I'd find another server/arrangement.

Tell your server company that!

Personally, I don't think it is a server issue. I think it's more an issue of the Google screening process. I have had seven members that complained to me about this that haven't come back.

What we have here is basically like when you hear a strange noise coming from your car and take it to the mechanic - and guess what? It doesn't do what it was doing anymore. The mechanic has to make more than one pass at it to catch the offending noise (malware) in the act.

If there is a way to deal with this I'd very much appreciate it. With only 21 members and about 6 or 7 active (and that's declining) I can't afford such problems. Picture if your friend sent you a link to a site and the first thing to happen was it activated your antivirus software or redirected you to a different site. What would you do? I highly doubt coming back or spending much time there would be high on your list of things to do.

Garmar.

Garmar
Forumotion Member

Luciano:continued, see next post
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:33 am

continued:

Post Sanket on March 26th 2009, 1:54 pm
All i can suggest you is keep your anti virus updated every time. I personally, have never faced an issue like this. Also, if you could find out any other info on this like some information of the source, you can PM me about it.

Sanket

Male

Post Kumiko on March 26th 2009, 5:06 pm
I'm sorry. this is an issue I don't want to let go because it's important. I'm quoting some people on my forum. It's in the headline section, so I'm not making this up.

Hoshi wrote:i've noticed a bit of something at times. i use site advisor on my home computer. sometimes the little thing turns red for a second (warning about spyware and such) before turning back to green. if there are viruses on this system, it's in the split second screens that pop up after you hit send and stuff like that...

Kyuzo wrote:...oh i noticed something too.....well...after you post a message and try to exit out of the window...an unlimited number of other windows pops up...i mean you have to restart the computer

....but it only happens if after you posted and it saids you did...right when its about to go back to the forum and you exit out i'll do that..........hmmmmm...it only happened about...i guess 4 times to me right now....but idk if its happened to anyone else :confused2:

Aki wrote:hmmm, when I had my old laptop, I had multiple windows of the same thing keep poping up after I sent a post or a pm, and when i ran a virus check on the old computer it had caught 3 viruses I rebooted it and everything and not to long after that it caught another one. But since i got my new laptop, everythings been doing ok

Kuragari wrote:my mums computer got a virus not long ago the virus scan said that it was from one of the google adds on this site........thats the first time id seen that happen........

Can't one of the mods address this issue to Typlo? At least let him know that some of his users are experimenting problems with the google ads, so maybe he can contact google himself?

Kumiko
Forumotion Member

Female

Post Garmar on March 27th 2009, 12:24 am
Thanks, Sanket. I'll get a screenshot and the website I got directed to next time. I'll have my members do the same. Maybe if we can narrow down which sites are causing these problems, we can take a step toward fixing this.

Garmar.

Garmar
Forumotion Member

Post Sanket on March 27th 2009, 12:42 am
Kumiko, you need to provide evidence only then will i forward it to Typlo. Thats the reason i am saying forward some information on this to me maybe screenshots etc, or the virus scan screenshots showing source of the virus..something of that sort.

Sanket

Male

Post whatzit on March 31st 2009, 12:55 am
I see that others are still having this problem, as evidenced by the new thread started on this issue:
http://help.forumotion.com/other-problems-f46/virus-question-t39812.htm#252228

May I ask, what is being done to investigate this?

whatzit
Forumotion Member

Post whatzit on March 31st 2009, 1:08 am
And another:

http://help.forumotion.com/other-problems-f46/virus-alert-big-problem-t40084.htm#252230

I'm sure these users are not appreciating that so many replies insinuate that this is imagined. As I have already mentioned, three forum friends of mine have had their hard-drives systems thoroughly and absolutely ruined, all three needing to be wiped and re-installed!

I disagree with the theory that it is from the Google ads. One, they are not pop-ups, and two, no one clicked on these things to become infected. It would seem that the Forumotion host site itself has been infected for so many to have felt this sting.

Where is the security department for Forumotion? Why are these threads just dying? If nothing is done about this, I can tell you, our busy little forum will be DEAD... too many folks there have been affected, if not INFECTED.

whatzit
Forumotion Member

Post darren1 on March 31st 2009, 1:25 am

whatzit wrote:

I disagree with the theory that it is from the Google ads. One, they are not pop-ups, and two, no one clicked on these things to become infected. It would seem that the Forumotion host site itself has been infected for so many to have felt this sting.

Well, considering I have been un able to detain any virus' from any forumotion forum, I don't believe that you are accurate Wink

Where is the security department for Forumotion? Why are these threads just dying? If nothing is done about this, I can tell you, our busy little forum will be DEAD... too many folks there have been affected, if not INFECTED.

The "forumotion security department" is the techs Wink
the techs also don't have any active accounts here.
The techs are represented by Typlo...profile
He is also, absent from the forum - un known reason's

These threads are dying simply because, ForuMotion is french, and the french team is un able to help us here on the English support forum Wink

darren1
Forumotion Member

Male
Language: English - Australian, parts of CSS & HTML
Warning Level:

http://testie.forumotion.com/

Post whatzit on March 31st 2009, 1:28 am
Thank you for your replies, Darren1.

I am very sadly coming to the conclusion that nothing is going to be done about this at all...

whatzit
Forumotion Member

Post darren1 on March 31st 2009, 1:40 am

whatzit wrote:Thank you for your replies, Darren1.

I am very sadly coming to the conclusion that nothing is going to be done about this at all...

Well, I forgot to say this before...sorry.

The database is only accessible by the ForuMotion technician's, (not us users) and there forth, they are completely safe.

Anyhow, bumping this thread will now provide any further assistance, nor will it provide a solution.
It is best to let the techs do their job.

darren1
Forumotion Member

Male
Language: English - Australian, parts of CSS & HTML
Warning Level:

http://testie.forumotion.com/

Post Riverdog on March 31st 2009, 1:49 am
I think there might be a possiblity it is Google. It wouldn't be the first time. Google Ads were attacked in 2007 and no you didn't have to click on anything. Here is one article from 2007.

The reason I'm thinking it's Google is that I belong to a forum hosted on Zetaboards and I was attacked recently. I have the free AVG installed on an old laptop and I did end up with a Trojan. Since I don't use the laptop very often I knew the trojan originated from the Zetaboard. Lucky for me it was an old laptop that I only use occasionally for browsing. Since I run the free AVG I also run a few other free programs. I can't remember which one found the trojan. My good computer has Norton & a warning is still occasionally popping up when I visit the Zetaboard forum with Google Ads.

This is why I'm guessing it is not limited to just the Forumotion boards. I'm just wondering if Google is aware that they may have been attacked again.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:31 am

That's quite an epistle there HP... It seems there's a lot going on regarding the forums and virus'. Hopefully they'll be able to get things cleaned up.

Last edited by PaulM on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:44 am

Lol, Hp I could still read that stuff. I meant you post on that forum saying we have a member having the same problem, and the virus in question is named "JS/Xilos" but thanks for posting the thread here for everyone to read Very Happy

There is some huge standoff in Pittsburgh right now, 2 cops dead, 2 more shot by some crazy fucker who was beating his wife, so Im kind of riveted to that at the second, Im trying to get my password, Im starting to think they banned my account because I never made a post?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:23 am

Admin wrote:Lol, Hp I could still read that stuff. I meant you post on that forum saying we have a member having the same problem, and the virus in question is named "JS/Xilos" but thanks for posting the thread here for everyone to read Very Happy

There is some huge standoff in Pittsburgh right now, 2 cops dead, 2 more shot by some crazy fucker who was beating his wife, so Im kind of riveted to that at the second, Im trying to get my password, Im starting to think they banned my account because I never made a post?

Correction: He got into it with his wife's mom, 3 cops are dead and they got him in custody now. Im pretty sure he is a Zionist hater from what his best friend just said on the local news. The cops bled to death in the front yard and in the street because no one could get to them because he would not stop firing. He did kill one instantly I think, he is an 23 year old ex-marine, they are afraid to enter the home now, they think it might be "booby-trapped", I guess he is an explosives expert.

Sad sad day for the city of Pittsburgh
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Sounds like he pretty much hates everyone, not just Zionist.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Admin wrote:Lol, Hp I could still read that stuff. I meant you post on that forum saying we have a member having the same problem, and the virus in question is named "JS/Xilos" but thanks for posting the thread here for everyone to read Very Happy

sorry to hear about the trouble in your great city, L. it's a mixed up world. my thoughts and prayers are with your today.

lol@my mistake, l. please forgive ime. i'm in a daze still. we just got home from the funeral.

anyways, i just tried signing in to my account and they said my password is incorrect. Suspect ...which it's not. they are sending me a new one, at which time i will post what you asked me to. I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:57 pm

here you go, l....

my post is copied below and it is the 18th post down, here:

Re: I picked up a virus at Servimg.com

Post HotParadox Today at 2:43 pm
My site is:
https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/forum.htm

we have a member having the same problem, and the virus in question is named "JS/Xilos". could you please help us out?
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:16 pm

The problem is not with the server, or the server software, if it's Java related. If it were, everyone would have it, and we wouldn't be hearing of only a few cases. I all likelihood (99% certain), your browser and/or Java plug-in has been compromised. The usual suspect is "tool bars", which are most often adware driven (Google, Yahoo, Ask, etc.), as they are easily compromised.

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:34 pm

thank you so much for that infor, dm. i have no problem so far, i like server.com and i hope what you say is the extent of the problem.

HotParadox
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Thanks so much HP for posting that.

Good info DM
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:44 am

luciano wrote:Thanks so much HP for posting that.

Good info DM

But it sure is strange that the only time I pick up that virus is when I am on server dot com. Windows live onecare security catches it every time and removes it. It does not tell me I have a virus, it tells me that the virus is trying to get on my computer.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Old Timer wrote:
luciano wrote:Thanks so much HP for posting that.

Good info DM

But it sure is strange that the only time I pick up that virus is when I am on server dot com. Windows live onecare security catches it every time and removes it. It does not tell me I have a virus, it tells me that the virus is trying to get on my computer.

I'm gonna just shoot from the hip and give you what I think is happening, although there are other possibilities, with the info we have so far here.

Windows Live seems to be one only a couple apps concerned with this (Microsoft products can be overcautious, as it should be with threats). There are a few possible reasons, but a little background may be helpful in understanding. The "virus", [JS-XILOS], is no longer a threat, and even during its initial release, was essentially a very weak threat. It's release was in 2002, and was only effective on specific machines of a specific configuration under the best of conditions. In layman's terms, every currently operating system should be "inoculated" of this, and although the script may present itself under certain conditions, it is inert. In much the same way, we (people) NEVER catch the same cold (flu) twice. Once you get a cold, your body reacts, defeats the virus (hopefully), then remembers how to defeat it for the rest of your life. If you get a cold again, it is a different virus your body is reacting to. However, the symptoms (the "cold") are essentially the same, as your body reacts the same, every time, with only varying severity. Physiologically, your body "sees" the virus intrusion, and protects your body from further intrusion while it's "decoding" the virus. The abundance of mucous in your body protects you from airborne and ingested intruders. The mucous (snot, phlegm) captures most of the infected particles, allowing them to be either harmlessly passed through the body, or expelled. This is also why a cold usually lasts a specific period of time, and passes in it's own time, regardless what we do. We treat, and sometimes can reduce, the symptoms, but it will run its course. The actual virus is long gone by the time our "cold" is over. A flu vaccine can only inoculate you for specific viruses previously encountered by other people, and will only protect you from those. Computer viruses are much the same, and we treat them much the same (only with a more immediate treatment of the symptoms). The movie "Independence Day" contained a good example of this (except the treatment part). Enough rambling........

That said, just because a specific application is "seeing" a virus, does not mean the virus is a threat. The Java Script vulnerable to this is long gone. Most instances of the code are no more than empty command lines. If you have a machine with a vulnerable Java plug-in, it won't work with current website Java language. This Java Script "infection" is local, meaning it can only reside on an end-user system. It cannot embed in server content available to the public (unless the programmer intentionally scripts it, and then it will only effect the local system, the server itself). If you are seeing any instance of this, it is on your system, and the script commands are conjured when you enable a Java Script command (click a Java Script enabled link). It seems Windows Live is recognizing the script from old DAT files, and reacts, as it should with any threat. Problem is, your system will keep "infecting" itself, and the virus will continue to bee seen until the source is removed. In all likelihood, your system is storing a copy of it, and continues to duplicate. The most likely source is your browser cache and/or system restore files. I suggest ignoring this "threat", as the treatment may be more menacing than the virus itself. If after deleting your caches and system restore files, you still have the presence, it is likely embedded deeper in your system. Chasing and trying to eliminate this [non]threat will likely have much more undesirable side effects. If you have the option, have Windows Live Onecare ignore this in the future. It should, in any case, not see this as a threat and ignore it. It will likely do this automatically in the future with updates, but they (the programmers) may ignore it with so few occurrences.

Even if you are using an older system, with older versions of Windows, browser, and Java Script plug-in, the script is empty. The script goes nowhere, and does nothing. The worst it can do is replicate and infect other systems with harmless empty code. Less harmful than a gnat on a warm summer night. Nothing more than an annoyance, as evidenced by this thread. With more information specific to your system (OT), we could dump the source, but I think it's probably not worth the time.

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:01 pm

DM king

that was great, thank you!

i need to ask you something:are you familiar with this product and what do you think of it for a home computer? they have different products and i don't know what's what, tbh:
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Products/showSolutions/1/

they like it:
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/awards.html
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:54 pm

HotParadox wrote:DM king

that was great, thank you!

i need to ask you something:are you familiar with this product and what do you think of it for a home computer? they have different products and i don't know what's what, tbh:
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Products/showSolutions/1/

they like it:
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/awards.html

Good products. Not great, IMO, but good. Most of what they offer is overkill (the same with all "protection" suites). The programs do offer a lower overhead, but are significantly slower to react to threats, compared to the major brand names (Mcafee, Norton). It's a trade-off. Much depends on what YOU do with your computer, the platform you are operating, and your experience or willingness. Most of the "pay" services are far and away better than the free services for hands-off protection. Problem is, in this "Chicken Little" world we live in, they are easy to sell, and oversell. I can offer some suggestions, but I prefer to tailor it to your specific uses and needs. Computers tend to run slower (and become more vulnerable) over time. This is attributed to "baggage" (my term) accumulated over time. The baggage includes over-redundant system files, patches, protection schemes and program ghosts (files, registry entries, and processes left behind or obsolete). Many times, these protections begin to cancel out each other. I'm a firm believer of the "belt and suspenders" philosophy, but the belt and suspenders do no good if they aren't attached to your pants. If you want my best suggestion, according to the most common platform in use today, I can keep it simple. If you are running Windows XP or Vista, and keep it current with updates, use IEx (the latest update), or Firefox (latest update), your needs are simple. Enable Windows Security or Defender (whichever applies), and subscribe/buy ONLY Mcafee Viruscan Plus. You don't need additional firewalls. One is as good as 10, and Windows Firewall is as good as any (they all do EXACTLY the same thing). This seems to work best with most users. Norton is OK, but caries twice the overhead (read: slower computer), and is more difficult to configure and use. Entire websites are dedicated to this stuff and are very busy (although most are bogus, and full of really bad advice). Covering everything won't happen in a forum post. PM me if you want/need some info more specific to your needs.

Also, keep in mind, opinions and experience varies widely regarding all this. Many "techies" (geeks) have a different approach and and solution to most issues, but that doesn't make all of them wrong. Just different.

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:31 pm

great info and details, dm. if i get in a jam, i will take you up on your offer and pm you. right now, this much i know for sure, thanks to you-i won't be buying bitdefender. thanks very much. cheers
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:35 pm

When is the url gonna change to Talk Us Down? I've tried it today and just get forumotions page.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:41 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:When is the url gonna change to Talk Us Down? I've tried it today and just get forumotions page.

Looks like it just did. Within the last 2-3 minutes.

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:41 pm

question answered, thank you. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:43 pm

DM007 wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:When is the url gonna change to Talk Us Down? I've tried it today and just get forumotions page.

Looks like it just did. Within the last 2-3 minutes.

Yup, switched within a couple minutes of me posting that. Suspect

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Sorry about that, I cant believe I like totally forgot to do it, I was sort of rushed out the door and never went near the computer. I remembered about noon, I even attempted to do it from my wife's cellphone, but this site was weird on her phone and I couldnt even get logged on here.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content