Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

could this be the problem

+2
CarolinaHound
Old Timer
6 posters

Go down

could this be the problem Empty could this be the problem

Post by Old Timer Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Could This Be the Reason.

Could it be possible that overpopulation is the real reason why there is so much trouble in this country today ? Below is a chart from the census bureau that show just how much the birth rate is exceeding the death rate. There are only so many companies with so many jobs available today. There is just so much room for us to grow in. It seems that we are fast becoming overpopulated whether or not we want to admit it. Where are all of the next 5 to 10 generations going to live and work? How are we going to feed them. As it is our farmers are going to be hard put just to feed those of us now. If you think that the homeless population is big now, just wait, it is growing at a very fast pace. Are we going to wind up like India or China where people have little or next to nothing at all.

If things continue at the present rate, it seem like things will only get worse. 25, 50, 75 and 100 years ago we didn’t have these problems like we do today. It isn’t going to go away either. Just look around you, all you se now is more and more construction going up. New homes, shopping malls, new towns coming into existence. Before long there will be nothing but concrete wherever you look. Farmers are selling their land to make room for more and more subdivisions. Of course that will mean less food being grown and higher and higher food prices.

Seems like we are going to be reaching the end of our rope in the not to far future. You can laugh and scoff at all you want to, but just take a really good look around and see if you can see what I am talking aout.

I don’t have to paint a bleak picture. It has already been done.

U.S. POPClock Projection
According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the resident population of the United States, projected to 02/27/09 at 20:09 GMT (EST+5) is
COMPONENT SETTINGS FOR FEBRUARY 2009
One birth every.................................. 7 seconds
One death every.................................. 12 seconds
One international migrant (net) every............ 33 seconds
Net gain of one person every..................... 13 seconds

The U.S. population clock is based on the national population estimates. The U.S. Census Bureau produces national population estimates annually using the latest available data on births, deaths, and international migration. Each year, we recalibrate the population clock when we release the new set of population estimates. For more information on the methodology for producing national estimates, see http://www.census.gov/popest/topics/methodology/2008-nat-meth.pdf [PDF].

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

could this be the problem Empty Re: could this be the problem

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Yes indeed OT. Or that's my opinion anyway. If deer became this over populated, we'd have special hunts to thin them out. Not really hunts actually, closer to a herding and mass shooting. But between hunting and natural predator deer and other animal populations are kept in check. Humans have no natural predators other than themselves, and the occasional natural disaster.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Absolutely. Overpopulation underlies many of the problems we have in the world today. If we had 10% of the population we do now, we could emit 10 times as much CO2. We wouldn't have food shortages. We wouldn't have (quite so many) wars over land.

It's absolutely one of the biggest problems the world is going to face in the next 100 years or so, IMHO. Unfortunately, it's also very un PC to talk about it. I've never once heard a politician mention it. I guess it's because having children is such a fundamental human drive, the fundamental human drive, that to suggest we limit ourselves would be political suicide.

But really, all the environmental issues we face wouldn't exist if the global population wasn't so high.
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Night-Reaper Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:30 pm

Old Timer wrote:Could This Be the Reason.

Could it be possible that overpopulation is the real reason why there is so much trouble in this country today ? Below is a chart from the census bureau that show just how much the birth rate is exceeding the death rate. There are only so many companies with so many jobs available today. There is just so much room for us to grow in. It seems that we are fast becoming overpopulated whether or not we want to admit it. Where are all of the next 5 to 10 generations going to live and work? How are we going to feed them. As it is our farmers are going to be hard put just to feed those of us now. If you think that the homeless population is big now, just wait, it is growing at a very fast pace. Are we going to wind up like India or China where people have little or next to nothing at all.

If things continue at the present rate, it seem like things will only get worse. 25, 50, 75 and 100 years ago we didn’t have these problems like we do today. It isn’t going to go away either. Just look around you, all you se now is more and more construction going up. New homes, shopping malls, new towns coming into existence. Before long there will be nothing but concrete wherever you look. Farmers are selling their land to make room for more and more subdivisions. Of course that will mean less food being grown and higher and higher food prices.

Seems like we are going to be reaching the end of our rope in the not to far future. You can laugh and scoff at all you want to, but just take a really good look around and see if you can see what I am talking aout.

I don’t have to paint a bleak picture. It has already been done.

U.S. POPClock Projection
According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the resident population of the United States, projected to 02/27/09 at 20:09 GMT (EST+5) is

The U.S. population clock is based on the national population estimates. The U.S. Census Bureau produces national population estimates annually using the latest available data on births, deaths, and international migration. Each year, we recalibrate the population clock when we release the new set of population estimates. For more information on the methodology for producing national estimates, see http://www.census.gov/popest/topics/methodology/2008-nat-meth.pdf [PDF].
You definetly have got a good point OT!
Night-Reaper
Night-Reaper

Male
Number of posts : 832
Humor : being a wise cracker
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:34 pm

People of different times have different problems. Yes, we're experience problems that are different, but I wouldn't say they are more serious or less serious.

I think the real problem is not over population, but people's inability to live properly. Sure, we could emit more CO2 if the population was smaller, and we could continue to abuse the earth as we do now if the population was smaller without having to deal with the consequences so quickly. But if the population was this big and more people were more concerned about taking care of this planet and reducing your carbon footprint and all that hippy dippy stuff then I don't think the increasing population would matter as much. I think the real problem is the way we live.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Definetly over population....I don't think the earth can support the numbers without doing harm to ourselves and the planet..The politicians don't want to talk about it, the people don't want to talk about it but in the end it will be our demise.
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:31 am

Acording to the census bureau since I signed off last night and as of right now there are an additional 5,000 + people in the U.S.A. These people are going to need homes food and jobs when they grow up. As of right now there are over 5,000,000 folks out of work. The president says he will create 3,500,000 jobs. What about the others not to mention those 5,000 plus each and every day that are being born and not to mention the illegal aliens that keep coming in to this country.

Is there still anyone out there that thinks that this is not a problem. It is only going to get worse.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Old Timer wrote:Acording to the census bureau since I signed off last night and as of right now there are an additional 5,000 + people in the U.S.A. These people are going to need homes food and jobs when they grow up. As of right now there are over 5,000,000 folks out of work. The president says he will create 3,500,000 jobs. What about the others not to mention those 5,000 plus each and every day that are being born and not to mention the illegal aliens that keep coming in to this country.

Is there still anyone out there that thinks that this is not a problem. It is only going to get worse.

If you have more people, the demand for items increases. From the numbers provided in your original post, we gain approximately 5,100 (I closed the calculator before writing down the number) new BIRTHS (after deducting the number of deaths) each day. I don't think the figure quoted by the Census includes illegal immigrants, if it did then some of their statistics are wrong. As far as I know, these 5,000 infants won't be looking for jobs for at least another 16 years, so as of right now that's not really an issue that the president will need to worry about.

Like I said though, and increase in people means an increase in the need for different products and services, meaning the increase of job availability.

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:05 pm

lisan23 wrote:
Old Timer wrote:Acording to the census bureau since I signed off last night and as of right now there are an additional 5,000 + people in the U.S.A. These people are going to need homes food and jobs when they grow up. As of right now there are over 5,000,000 folks out of work. The president says he will create 3,500,000 jobs. What about the others not to mention those 5,000 plus each and every day that are being born and not to mention the illegal aliens that keep coming in to this country.

If you have more people, the demand for items increases. From the numbers provided in your original post, we gain approximately 5,100 (I closed the calculator before writing down the number) new BIRTHS (after deducting the number of deaths) each day. I don't think the figure quoted by the Census includes illegal immigrants, if it did then some of their statistics are wrong. As far as I know, these 5,000 infants won't be looking for jobs for at least another 16 years, so as of right now that's not really an issue that the president will need to worry about.

Like I said though, and increase in people means an increase in the need for different products and services, meaning the increase of job availability.

Assuming there are more people now than say ten or twenty years ago, and going by your theory; where are all these jobs at? Unemployment is rising along with the prices of products, but available jobs are decreasing.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:13 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
lisan23 wrote:

Assuming there are more people now than say ten or twenty years ago, and going by your theory; where are all these jobs at? Unemployment is rising along with the prices of products, but available jobs are decreasing.

The current job situation isn't due to over population, it's because people were irresponsible, investors and Wall Street were even more irresponsible, and the capitalist system in this country didn't work. Even then, though, there are jobs out there. Where I live there are 5-10 new jobs posted on the state website every day. (And considering how small our population is, that's quite a bit.) There are problems filling positions in our area because no one applies. For instance, right now I have a job as a assistant supervisor for the Census. The state of Wyoming is one of the few states they are having trouble in finding people to work for them. We were told in most states positions were filled within days. They've been trying for a couple months now and still no luck, in fact in my area they are short over 40 people. They've been trying to recruit for quite some time, but our Workforce office is almost always empty and not a lot of people are needing to look for work. So if people were willing to move where jobs are at, then maybe this current situation wouldn't be so bad. But a lot of people aren't willing to move for a job.

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:31 pm

lisan24 wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
lisan23 wrote:

The current job situation isn't due to over population, it's because people were irresponsible, investors and Wall Street were even more irresponsible, and the capitalist system in this country didn't work. Even then, though, there are jobs out there. Where I live there are 5-10 new jobs posted on the state website every day. (And considering how small our population is, that's quite a bit.) There are problems filling positions in our area because no one applies. For instance, right now I have a job as a assistant supervisor for the Census. The state of Wyoming is one of the few states they are having trouble in finding people to work for them. We were told in most states positions were filled within days. They've been trying for a couple months now and still no luck, in fact in my area they are short over 40 people. They've been trying to recruit for quite some time, but our Workforce office is almost always empty and not a lot of people are needing to look for work. So if people were willing to move where jobs are at, then maybe this current situation wouldn't be so bad. But a lot of people aren't willing to move for a job.

I respectfully disagree, the CEO's didn't work nor do their job. The capitalist system didn't fail, they did. And the Government bailed them out successfully setting them up for yet another failure. Had they gone by capitalistic theory, the companies and banks would have failed and the smaller ones would have moved in to fill the void. But instead they got bailed out and now will continue to do what they did before until they fail again after creating more problems than we would of had if they had been allowed to fail from the beginning.

As far as the moving to where jobs are, I have to agree with you there. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do to get work. Smile

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:47 pm

lisan24 wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
lisan23 wrote:

I do not think that you are taking into account those born, oh let's say 16 years ago that are now starting to look fo jobs some of them full time. And that figure will grow by the amnount born each day since that day 16 years ago. so let's say for the sake of a discussion that it is only 2,000 a day so that is now 2,000 a day more with a little extra thrown in each day looking for a job. that is now 14,000 a week or 56,000 a month or 672,000 a year and it is growing each and every year. Now where are all of those jobs and homes going to come from and where is all of the employers going to come from. it is a snowball effect that has not stopped and is getting out of control and each year the figure will get higher. This is in adfdition to the already 5 million plus out of work. And this is not counting those that live on the streets and the illegal aliens. And don't forget the 2,000 figure was those born 16 years ago. todays figure is more than twice that. think of 16 years in the future. what will the figure be then.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:08 pm

Except 16 year olds don't need a job in most situations, that's optional. My brother, who is now 18, has had a job since he was 16 years old. He works at Little Caesars, before that he worked at a restaurant as a busser/host/server. I said it would be 16 years before the newly born citizens of this country are going to look for a job, BUT they don't HAVE to have a job right now.

Many college students (18+) get jobs on campus or working fast food - which is still in business and still hiring in most places. The real people hit by this economic crunch right now are professionals. Not the boy who's been working at McDonald's for the last 3 years.

Ot, what you are suggesting is that the growing population is causing the problem. BUT that simply doesn't work when you apply logic. If that's the case, then how did we pull out of the depression? Because people kept having kids - but we pulled out didn't we? People have continued having children during rough times economically, the population has continued to grow, and we have always recovered from poor economic situations. IF increasing population WAS the cause of our economic problems (which it appears that you are trying to make this point) then we wouldn't recover from poor economic times because the population's increase would've made it impossible to recover. But that's not the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:28 pm

lisan24 wrote:Except 16 year olds don't need a job in most situations, that's optional. My brother, who is now 18, has had a job since he was 16 years old. He works at Little Caesars, before that he worked at a restaurant as a busser/host/server. I said it would be 16 years before the newly born citizens of this country are going to look for a job, BUT they don't HAVE to have a job right now.

Many college students (18+) get jobs on campus or working fast food - which is still in business and still hiring in most places. The real people hit by this economic crunch right now are professionals. Not the boy who's been working at McDonald's for the last 3 years.

Ot, what you are suggesting is that the growing population is causing the problem. BUT that simply doesn't work when you apply logic. If that's the case, then how did we pull out of the depression? Because people kept having kids - but we pulled out didn't we? People have continued having children during rough times economically, the population has continued to grow, and we have always recovered from poor economic situations. IF increasing population WAS the cause of our economic problems (which it appears that you are trying to make this point) then we wouldn't recover from poor economic times because the population's increase would've made it impossible to recover. But that's not the case.

there can be no comparison between the great depression and now as the amount of people was far less than now. the best way I can say it is this. You can only put so much air into a ballon before it will break. so much water into a glass before it over flows. and so many people in a country before it tumbles into what india has now. simply to many people. and one large slum area.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Living in Wyoming, you should know we're not to that point yet, OT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:24 pm

lisan24 wrote:Living in Wyoming, you should know we're not to that point yet, OT.

Yes, you are correct about our state of Wyoming. But we are the exception not the rule. Comparing us to a state like New York or California is like apples to oranges isn't it? New York City by itself has more than ten times the population of our state alone.

Is it possible that you are making the same mistake that so many have made. Thinking that what was will always be. That is not what is happening. The only real thing that has helped to hold our population in control has been war. Without it we would have been so over populated centuries ago that it would have been pathetic. We do breed like crazy and everyone knows it. This problem has been address and put aside by all countries for a future generation to deal with fo many generations now. And now the problem is really going to multiply itself many times over. The time to act is now before it gets to bit not after it is there. Tell you what, check the clock and write down the figure. Then 24 hours later write down that figure anddo the math. ho many new citizens do we now have. Mulatiply that times 365 and see just how many people are going to be added to this counry in teh next year. And remember that the birth rate far exceeds athe death rate. http://www.census.gov/

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:53 pm

Most people I know are out trying to get full-time work at 18. Very few can continue to live at home with their parents help, much less be able to afford collage.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Most people I know are out trying to get full-time work at 18. Very few can continue to live at home with their parents help, much less be able to afford collage.
I have no doubt that it will get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:13 pm

U.S. POPClock Projection

According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the resident population of the United States, projected to 03/01/09 at 20:11 GMT (EST+5) is

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:25 pm

I found some interesting information - we are slowing down NOT speeding up in our attempt to "populate" the world. At least here in the US.

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461544073/u_s_birth_and_death_rates.html

In 1920 the birthrate was just over 25 births per 1,000 people for white people, 35 births per 1,000 people for other races. In 2000 (when the last census was) this rate was down to just under 15 per 1,000 for white, about 18 per 1,000 for other races.

The death rate hasn't seen nearly the sharp decrease that the birth rate has. So evidence shows that we, in the United States, ARE not having as many children as we used to which makes complete sense to me. Think about it - people are now waiting longer to have kids, and most couples have only 1 or 2 children, where as 30 years ago the average household had more children and more couples were pressured to have children. Now - not the case. If a couple doesn't want to have kids it's not "taboo" or such a bad thing. So this argument that the population is continuing to increase at too fast a speed truly isn't accurate. Reality is it's slowing down, not speeding up.

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:33 pm

lisan24 wrote:I found some interesting information - we are slowing down NOT speeding up in our attempt to "populate" the world. At least here in the US.

In 1920 the birthrate was just over 25 births per 1,000 people for white people, 35 births per 1,000 people for other races. In 2000 (when the last census was) this rate was down to just under 15 per 1,000 for white, about 18 per 1,000 for other races.

The death rate hasn't seen nearly the sharp decrease that the birth rate has. So evidence shows that we, in the United States, ARE not having as many children as we used to which makes complete sense to me. Think about it - people are now waiting longer to have kids, and most couples have only 1 or 2 children, where as 30 years ago the average household had more children and more couples were pressured to have children. Now - not the case. If a couple doesn't want to have kids it's not "taboo" or such a bad thing. So this argument that the population is continuing to increase at too fast a speed truly isn't accurate. Reality is it's slowing down, not speeding up.

Not to worry - a plague or some such circumstance will come along to 'even the table'...
Typically, when populations get out of control, nature is prepared to step in and regulate. ANd yes, even humans are subject to the whims of Nature.
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:48 pm

lisan24 wrote:I found some interesting information - we are slowing down NOT speeding up in our attempt to "populate" the world. At least here in the US.

Yep, all the developed countries are slowing down. Some are even declining (like Japan I think, and maybe some of the northern European countries).

It's expected that the global population will peak at about 10-12 billion, and remain steady around there. That's almost twice the current population.
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:50 pm

I kind of agree with coontie, that mother nature sometime's has a way of weeding out the population when it gets to large. I was thinking about it, and while we're making strides in ways to treat cancer, there are still many types of cancer that are not curable, and I think cancer is becoming far more common than it used to be. In fact, I know that, not think that. Maybe that's part of mother nature's attempt to try and reduce the population..?? Not sure, just a thought though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:44 pm

lisan24 wrote:I kind of agree with coontie, that mother nature sometime's has a way of weeding out the population when it gets to large. I was thinking about it, and while we're making strides in ways to treat cancer, there are still many types of cancer that are not curable, and I think cancer is becoming far more common than it used to be. In fact, I know that, not think that. Maybe that's part of mother nature's attempt to try and reduce the population..?? Not sure, just a thought though.

reduce us or eliminate us.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down