Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone else see a problem with "stimulus"

+3
CarolinaHound
Independent Harry
JReed
7 posters

Go down

Does anyone else see a problem with "stimulus" Empty Does anyone else see a problem with "stimulus"

Post by JReed Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:44 pm

Since this is my first topic on this new board, I will start by saying hello to all.
This does seem to be a kinder, gentler scam.com. Very nice. I see many familiar names.

For my first topic I have a question.

For a good 8 years Bush Jr. printed money at will. And it is partly responsible for a gigantic economic disaster which, IMO, has only just begun.
Now, Obama has started his administration by printing huge amounts of money.

Now, I know the fiscal conservatives will agree with me when I say this seems "odd". But does anybody think this will work? A HUGE piece of the problem in America is that we have no discipline when it comes to money. We've been on a spending frenzy for decades. And that mentality is something that will have to change if we as a country are going to emerge from this economic collapse.

So can someone please explain to me how going on a spending spree of unprecidented numbers is going to fix things...when spending is the problem?
JReed
JReed

Male
Number of posts : 112
Job/hobbies : Ironman
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else see a problem with "stimulus" Empty Re: Does anyone else see a problem with "stimulus"

Post by Independent Harry Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:56 pm

JReed wrote:Since this is my first topic on this new board, I will start by saying hello to all.
This does seem to be a kinder, gentler scam.com. Very nice. I see many familiar names.

For a good 8 years Bush Jr. printed money at will. And it is partly responsible for a gigantic economic disaster which, IMO, has only just begun.

Now, I know the fiscal conservatives will agree with me when I say this seems "odd". But does anybody think this will work? A HUGE piece of the problem in America is that we have no discipline when it comes to money. We've been on a spending frenzy for decades. And that mentality is something that will have to change if we as a country are going to emerge from this economic collapse.

So can someone please explain to me how going on a spending spree of unprecidented numbers is going to fix things...when spending is the problem?

I don't really know what to make of this move by Obama. But I will say this, there is a difference between spending money on things like infrastructure and job creation. Vs just throwing 5 trillion dollars away with no discernable reward for the money spent.

Independent Harry

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else see a problem with "stimulus" Empty Re: Does anyone else see a problem with "stimulus"

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:29 pm

I think in the end we're just going to have to let some businesses and banks go belly up and let the smaller guy move in to pick up the pieces and then we'll start pulling out of it. It's gonna hurt, but such is life. This stimulas will help for awhile but when all the little projects are done we're just going to have those same people out of work again. jmo

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:42 pm

I haven't looked at the finished bill...I think I will do that tomorow then come back...I don't know enough about what is actually included. I know we need to create or maintain jobs(stop sending jobs overseas)...just get people back to work and get banks lending again and get the mortgage crisis under control. Many states are in fiscal failure and need help...so I suppose some of the money will help them out. I don't know if this bill will solve anything but does anyone have a better plan?
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:45 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:I haven't looked at the finished bill...I think I will do that tomorow then come back...I don't know enough about what is actually included. I know we need to create or maintain jobs(stop sending jobs overseas)...just get people back to work and get banks lending again and get the mortgage crisis under control. Many states are in fiscal failure and need help...so I suppose some of the money will help them out. I don't know if this bill will solve anything but does anyone have a better plan?

I was reading that some of the top states receiving help (including Wyoming and Utah) have the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:55 pm

lisan23 wrote:
Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:I haven't looked at the finished bill...I think I will do that tomorow then come back...I don't know enough about what is actually included. I know we need to create or maintain jobs(stop sending jobs overseas)...just get people back to work and get banks lending again and get the mortgage crisis under control. Many states are in fiscal failure and need help...so I suppose some of the money will help them out. I don't know if this bill will solve anything but does anyone have a better plan?

I was reading that some of the top states receiving help (including Wyoming and Utah) have the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

I would think states like yours would have lower unemployment rates compared to New York and Pennsylvania that have large industries and employ large numbers of workers so I don't quite understand the logic behind that.
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by JReed Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Independent Harry wrote:
JReed wrote:Since this is my first topic on this new board, I will start by saying hello to all.

I don't really know what to make of this move by Obama. But I will say this, there is a difference between spending money on things like infrastructure and job creation. Vs just throwing 5 trillion dollars away with no discernable reward for the money spent.

I agree with that...I guess I just think it is all temporary. Smoke and mirrors at best.

At the end of the day, bad businesses need to go bankrupt. Let the executives go bankrupt too. How will any of them learn to get better if there is no penalty for doing a crappy job. Perhaps it is my distrust of government speaking here...but I suspect we'll see some short-term jobs created while the rich get even richer, as usual.
JReed
JReed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:47 pm

hi jreed. i was just strolling thru the threads and found this. it's an EXCELLENT question.
and one that too few people are asking.

personally, i think about this alot, and the more i roll it around in my head, the less sense it makes. most of us have heard the term "ya gotta spend money to make money", right? this is what leads me to the biggest problem i have with what obama is doing - where's the money that can potentially be made from all his spending gonna come from? if he's gonna do this, shouldn't he be looking for a NEXT BIG THING to invest in instead of throwing good money after bad on the same shit that has ALREADY FAILED and then calling it "help for the American people"???

i don't get it.

i look at this way... for example: he says he's gonna put thousands of people to work fixing our highways, bridges, etc. - but what good does that do when the majority of people still won't be able to buy a car to drive on these new roads and bridges? and like CH said... what are the new workers gonna do when their work is completed? these pet projects have to eventually land those people back in the unemployment line, so what was gained besides more debt?

obama's plan for success all seems one of two ways to me:

1) short lived (pet projects)
or
2) 10 years away (new energy?)

so what happens in between. i see nothing that provides a STEADY stabilization for this country... nothing that we can sink our teeth into.... nothing that will grow and prosper! no NEXT BIG THING - like the internet was. what's out there ------ there's gotta be something. shouldn't bo be looking for THAT?

bottom line: we're screwed.

CV

Susan aka CV

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi there. good to see ya here. I can only say that it all boils down to one thing GREED. It also seems like Obama thinks he has found a whole forest of money trees. Maybe we should all get ready for a trip to the poor house. No

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Fiscal malfeasance caused this economic calamity. Bailing out the individuals and corporate entities which participated in or contributed to the fiscal malfeasance isn't exactly going to alleviate the problems. Rooting out the corruption should be the endeavor, not throwing taxpayer money at the problem and hoping it will disappear. The current failures are a result of corporate greed and government complicity. Greed has manifested itself to a point where we need to re-evaluate our lifestyles and make adjustments so that all of us don't fall into the abyss.

My main concern right now is all of the "pork" and subtle bills contained in the stimulus package. Politicians always get their way for passing certain laws when a calamity is present to distract the sheeple. Big Slick, I believe mentioned HR 45 is part of that package which will target gun ownership in America. This must not be permitted to transpire. Gun laws only deprive the common citizen of his/her right to defend themselves against a tyrannical government or the common petty thief. It does not affect the black market or criminals.

I guess the big question on everyone's minds is whether or not the stimulus package will work. It will prolong, IMO, but I don't believe it will stimulate the economy. If the government truly wanted a stimulation of the economy, they would be printing checks for every American for $20,000 (or more? I haven't calculated anything yet) to spend on debt and go on a shopping spree. Wouldn't that benefit America better than bailing out the companies which perpetuated greed for a select few?

Which brings up another concern I have with Obama's plans of late. His proposal to increase taxes for Americans. How is that going to stimulate the economy? I can understand the thinking behind such a move (increase spending, increase taxes to pay for it). However, at a time when the economy is crippled, taxing the people, upon which the recovery of the economy is dependent, is not a wise move whatsoever. Tax cuts aren't the answer either if the stimulus package is passed. I fear if a massive tax hike is passed, it will cause the economic collapse already feared by many.

Cash flow is the major issue currently. Increase the cash flow to the average American. Credit only helps continue the spending but it compromises cash flow in another way if job circumstances change. Take away spending and we are left with a recession. This leads to job losses and a further decrease in spending.

Hence, my proposal; a government bailout (or tax rebate) to the American people in order to eliminate some debt and begin the spending process again (their choice). Once the spending commences, more jobs can be created etc. People just need some relief from the economic oppression. That would be the more responsible and logical way to stimulate the economy, IMO.
Americanadian
Americanadian

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by JReed Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:32 pm

Americanadian wrote:Fiscal malfeasance caused this economic calamity. Bailing out the individuals and corporate entities which participated in or contributed to the fiscal malfeasance isn't exactly going to alleviate the problems. Rooting out the corruption should be the endeavor, not throwing taxpayer money at the problem and hoping it will disappear. The current failures are a result of corporate greed and government complicity. Greed has manifested itself to a point where we need to re-evaluate our lifestyles and make adjustments so that all of us don't fall into the abyss.

My main concern right now is all of the "pork" and subtle bills contained in the stimulus package. Politicians always get their way for passing certain laws when a calamity is present to distract the sheeple. Big Slick, I believe mentioned HR 45 is part of that package which will target gun ownership in America. This must not be permitted to transpire. Gun laws only deprive the common citizen of his/her right to defend themselves against a tyrannical government or the common petty thief. It does not affect the black market or criminals.

I guess the big question on everyone's minds is whether or not the stimulus package will work. It will prolong, IMO, but I don't believe it will stimulate the economy. If the government truly wanted a stimulation of the economy, they would be printing checks for every American for $20,000 (or more? I haven't calculated anything yet) to spend on debt and go on a shopping spree. Wouldn't that benefit America better than bailing out the companies which perpetuated greed for a select few?

Which brings up another concern I have with Obama's plans of late. His proposal to increase taxes for Americans. How is that going to stimulate the economy? I can understand the thinking behind such a move (increase spending, increase taxes to pay for it). However, at a time when the economy is crippled, taxing the people, upon which the recovery of the economy is dependent, is not a wise move whatsoever. Tax cuts aren't the answer either if the stimulus package is passed. I fear if a massive tax hike is passed, it will cause the economic collapse already feared by many.

Cash flow is the major issue currently. Increase the cash flow to the average American. Credit only helps continue the spending but it compromises cash flow in another way if job circumstances change. Take away spending and we are left with a recession. This leads to job losses and a further decrease in spending.

Hence, my proposal; a government bailout (or tax rebate) to the American people in order to eliminate some debt and begin the spending process again (their choice). Once the spending commences, more jobs can be created etc. People just need some relief from the economic oppression. That would be the more responsible and logical way to stimulate the economy, IMO.

Well said. I agree completely.
Just think if every tax paying american were given back a larger sum to do with as they please. Many would pay off debt and get out of trouble, others would spend, others would save, others would invest. One way or the other...that money goes to good use.

Obama's way gives it right to the executives. I thought the repudlikins were in bed with the corporate execs. The dems were supposed to look out for the little guy. Is this bizarro world?
JReed
JReed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 pm

JReed wrote:
Americanadian wrote:Fiscal malfeasance caused this economic calamity. Bailing out the individuals and corporate entities which participated in or contributed to the fiscal malfeasance isn't exactly going to alleviate the problems. Rooting out the corruption should be the endeavor, not throwing taxpayer money at the problem and hoping it will disappear. The current failures are a result of corporate greed and government complicity. Greed has manifested itself to a point where we need to re-evaluate our lifestyles and make adjustments so that all of us don't fall into the abyss.

Well said. I agree completely.
Just think if every tax paying american were given back a larger sum to do with as they please. Many would pay off debt and get out of trouble, others would spend, others would save, others would invest. One way or the other...that money goes to good use.

Obama's way gives it right to the executives. I thought the repudlikins were in bed with the corporate execs. The dems were supposed to look out for the little guy. Is this bizarro world?

Nope, it's just politics or simply put. The politicians get richer and we get poorer. pale

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down