Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama: First President to Acknowledge Non-Believers

+7
CarolinaHound
Kazza
Americanadian
Theophilus
Cartoon Head
luciano
HotParadox
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Obama: First President to Acknowledge Non-Believers Empty Obama: First President to Acknowledge Non-Believers

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Quote:
"In his inaugural address, President Obama said: 'We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you. For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and non-believers.'"

I don't have a problem with this. Why? Because WE ARE a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and non-believers.

How is this a threat to people of faith or traditionalists? Are we not supposed to love each other as our brother? Or are we just paying lip-service to the words of Jesus?

Or do people of faith and/or traditionalists not see this as a big deal?

What's your viewpoint?

The article is here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-01-20-obama-non-believers_N.htm
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Obama: First President to Acknowledge Non-Believers Empty Re: Obama: First President to Acknowledge Non-Believers

Post by luciano Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:41 pm

I dont think its a big deal, that's their president too, he just wanted to acknowledge all the citizens and their beliefs I think.
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 517

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Obama: First President to Acknowledge Non-Believers Empty Re: Obama: First President to Acknowledge Non-Believers

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:15 pm

luciano wrote:I dont think its a big deal, that's their president too, he just wanted to acknowledge all the citizens and their beliefs I think.
Right, L.

It seems to me that the minute a guy is elected president, poof, all bets are off and he is their new target. Doesn't it just stir up discord? I don't get the media. They pretend to be all sympathetic and PC but, man, they can be brutal. Huge yentas.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Can't really see the point being made.

Harmless words, offering an inclusive society, something you might expect a lot of newly elected leaders to say.

Cartoon Head

Number of posts : 1661

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:32 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Can't really see the point being made.

Harmless words, offering an inclusive society, something you might expect a lot of newly elected leaders to say.
My point was just what I said, that he is everybody's president and he did the right thing and the press makes a story of it, to maybe stir up controversy.

Shall I not post threads until I check in with you first, just to make sure that you find them almost as interesting as yours?
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Chill out lady.

Jeez

Shocked

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:44 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Chill out lady.

Jeez

Shocked
Chill out? You chill out, lady. If you don't like a thread, move on.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Yes.

Chill out.

Relax.

I was pointing out that there was no substance to the story, therefore, the person that put it together did so with the agenda of it being another cheapshot.

It's called my opinion.

Thanks

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:54 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Yes.

Chill out.

Relax.

I was pointing out that there was no substance to the story, therefore, the person that put it together did so with the agenda of it being another cheapshot.

It's called my opinion.

Thanks
What opinion? "Can't really see the point being made." By whom? The article? Me? You didn't clarify, or add anything. Just kind of left it there. I took it differently than you apparently meant it.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 pm

I am not going to get into religion. Not at all for now. The subject makes me angry. What you say when it comes to religion depending on your view point seems can wind up offending people. Therefore for now I am not going to get into it with anyone about religion. When you attack someone beliefs about religion. You wind up attacking the person. So for me I am taking a break from that for now. Not saying it should not be discussed. I just don't want to.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:58 pm

howdy wrote:I am not going to get into religion. Not at all for now. The subject makes me angry. What you say when it comes to religion depending on your view point seems can wind up offending people. Therefore for now I am not going to get into it with anyone about religion. When you attack someone beliefs about religion. You wind up attacking the person. So for me I am taking a break from that for now. Not saying it should not be discussed. I just don't want to.
OK, fair enough. My point is that he did the right thing. We are all Americans and he should acknowledge atheists just as much as any other group. He is serving everybody. Not just people who believe in God.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:48 am

HotParadox wrote:
howdy wrote:I am not going to get into religion. Not at all for now. The subject makes me angry. What you say when it comes to religion depending on your view point seems can wind up offending people. Therefore for now I am not going to get into it with anyone about religion. When you attack someone beliefs about religion. You wind up attacking the person. So for me I am taking a break from that for now. Not saying it should not be discussed. I just don't want to.
OK, fair enough. My point is that he did the right thing. We are all Americans and he should acknowledge atheists just as much as any other group. He is serving everybody. Not just people who believe in God.

I think it was commendable of Obama to include "non believers" in his address. I concur when you stated above that Obama is serving everybody, not just God.

I'm sure "Atheist" would have been a better word to use if one wanted to satisfy the media. Most likely, "non-believer" is almost a more derogatory term for those whom are devoid of any particular dogma.

So with that being stated, I will ask any atheist member on this forum if they care to give their opinion betwixt "non-believer" or "atheist" as more or less offensive and why, if applicable.
Americanadian
Americanadian

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:57 am

HotParadox wrote:

Well this post peaked my interest. You might just get me talking about it. Maybe.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:03 am

Americanadian wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

I think it was commendable of Obama to include "non believers" in his address. I concur when you stated above that Obama is serving everybody, not just God.

I'm sure "Atheist" would have been a better word to use if one wanted to satisfy the media. Most likely, "non-believer" is almost a more derogatory term for those whom are devoid of any particular dogma.

So with that being stated, I will ask any atheist member on this forum if they care to give their opinion betwixt "non-believer" or "atheist" as more or less offensive and why, if applicable.

Well, they really mean the same thing. Atheist just means someone that doesn't have a belief in a supernatural being. I actually prefer non-believer to atheist. Atheist has come to represent those that actively believe that there is no god, rather than those that just lack a belief. I think there are far more of the latter than the former.
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:12 am

That is simply because so many people are told to go out and convert others into their dogmatic organization. I have a problem with that. True Christianity should help and administer to others, lead by example and not impose on anyone.

People usually live in relative peace if their community or network consists of those whom always make it a rule to never discuss their beliefs unless asked, or where all share the same dogma.

All it takes is an over-zealous, theocratic loony to hold a grudge and get pissed off because someone rejected his absurdity because he couldn't answer some logical questions.

I believe America would be a better place if the next few JW's were peppered with paint balls on their next visit to a house where the owners have attempted every reasonable, respectful and insistent request for the JW's to stay away. Eventually, it seems extreme cases call for extreme measures. Wink

I know you stated you didn't want to discuss religion per se, but how about a testimony of why it angers you and when/where it all started? I find it interesting to hear testimony from others whom have shared similar circumstances as I have. It usually begins in childhood, getting dragged from church-to-church, essentially looking for the "right" religion, or having religion crammed down your throat, threats of burning in hell if you don't do what you're told, or getting smacked over the head with a nice Holy Bible. Yeah...all that good stuff.

It isn't any accident that so many people turned away from religion, IMO. In fact, those whom purport to be "pounding the pavement" for God are essentially causing the opposite to occur because they've got it all wrong.
Americanadian
Americanadian

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:36 am

Americanadian wrote:

I believe America would be a better place if the next few JW's were peppered with paint balls on their next visit to a house where the owners have attempted every reasonable, respectful and insistent request for the JW's to stay away. Eventually, it seems extreme cases call for extreme measures. Wink

Too funny, A! But messy.

Here's what works for me:

When I see them coming to my door, I grab my Bible, which I now keep handy to my door. They ring my door bell. I answer it and, without giving them a chance to say word one, I say to them: "Hi! I'm Valerie! Come on in and have a cup of coffee and a donut. I'd love to talk to you about Jesus and The Holy Bible". affraid

As I'm obnoxiously spouting off stuff about Jesus, they run like hell. I kid you not, I do this every time to every one of them and I've never had the same one come back twice or had a single one accept my gracious offer for coffee and Jesus donuts. Very Happy

Good thing. We don't eat donuts!
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:58 am

Kazza wrote:
Well, they really mean the same thing. Atheist just means someone that doesn't have a belief in a supernatural being. I actually prefer non-believer to atheist. Atheist has come to represent those that actively believe that there is no god, rather than those that just lack a belief. I think there are far more of the latter than the former.

I concur with your assessment. When I re-read my post, I realized I didn't properly translate my thoughts into the post.

To me, "Atheist" is more of a title, congruous like Muslim, Jew, etc. A title which isn't subject to

"Non-believer", considering my past experience with religion, denotes those devoid of a membership to a particular dogma as "inferior", "unfortunate" or "different" in a negative aspect simply because they don't attend church or subscribe to their religious lunacy. Now, I'm not inferring that all church goers are loonies, because that simply isn't true. However, in every church congregation, there are some whose eyeballs appear to "spin" in their eye sockets. When I see 'em spinnin', I pretty much know they are a few fries short of a Happy Meal. So far, my instinct hasn't steered me wrong. Hmmm....I have digressed.

Essentially, "believer" or "believe" exudes a positive or hopeful aura, IMO, since everyone believes in something and it gives us purpose in return, no matter what it happens to be. When "non" precedes "believe", it renders the positive aspect of the word to a negative one, thus, painting one with that title as a defect or in need of "fixing"?

Or perhaps I just require some shut-eye??? LOL...
Americanadian
Americanadian

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:01 am

Americanadian wrote:

That is simply because so many people are told to go out and convert others into their dogmatic organization. I have a problem with that. True Christianity should help and administer to others, lead by example and not impose on anyone.

People usually live in relative peace if their community or network consists of those whom always make it a rule to never discuss their beliefs unless asked, or where all share the same dogma.

All it takes is an over-zealous, theocratic loony to hold a grudge and get pissed off because someone rejected his absurdity because he couldn't answer some logical questions.

I know you stated you didn't want to discuss religion per se, but how about a testimony of why it angers you and when/where it all started? I find it interesting to hear testimony from others whom have shared similar circumstances as I have. It usually begins in childhood, getting dragged from church-to-church, essentially looking for the "right" religion, or having religion crammed down your throat, threats of burning in hell if you don't do what you're told, or getting smacked over the head with a nice Holy Bible. Yeah...all that good stuff.

It isn't any accident that so many people turned away from religion, IMO. In fact, those whom purport to be "pounding the pavement" for God are essentially causing the opposite to occur because they've got it all wrong.

I agree with you sir. Very Happy
My parents never dragged me to church except for weddings and funnerals. They might go but never forced me to. When I asked, they let me know what they believed and left it to me to decide. I was damned lucky to have some great parents though.

I haven't had the JW's in awhile. The morrmons popped up a couple years ago. I opened the door in my underwear, holding the shotgun I was cleaning. Smiled real big and showed off that front tooth that I have missing, said "Howdie boys.". They said have a nice day turned and left and head off away from the river. never seen none of em again.

Obama: First President to Acknowledge Non-Believers Deliverance

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:04 am

You sure are purdy, doggie boy. affraid
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:10 am

HotParadox wrote:Too funny, A! But messy.

When I see them coming to my door, I grab my Bible, which I now keep handy to my door. They ring my door bell. I answer it and, without giving them a chance to say word one, I say to them: "Hi! I'm Valerie! Come on in and have a cup of coffee and a donut. I'd love to talk to you about Jesus and The Holy Bible". affraid

As I'm obnoxiously spouting off stuff about Jesus, they run like hell. I kid you not, I do this every time to every one of them and I've never had the same one come back twice or had a single one accept my gracious offer for coffee and Jesus donuts. Very Happy

Some of them aren't too bad, but some are adamant in remaining on your doorstep after being politely asked to depart at their earliest convenience. Visions of bad decisions end up clouding the cognitive reasoning process in the frontal lobe.

I suppose one could purchase a Strait Jacket costume designed to look genuine and drool a little on the way to the door to greet them; "Hi...my name is Mumbles...can you help me out of this thing? I really need to scratch my ass."
Americanadian
Americanadian

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:11 am

HotParadox wrote:You sure are purdy, doggie boy. affraid

hehehehe...

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:17 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
I agree with you sir. Very Happy
My parents never dragged me to church except for weddings and funnerals. They might go but never forced me to. When I asked, they let me know what they believed and left it to me to decide. I was damned lucky to have some great parents though.

I haven't had the JW's in awhile. The morrmons popped up a couple years ago. I opened the door in my underwear, holding the shotgun I was cleaning. Smiled real big and showed off that front tooth that I have missing, said "Howdie boys.". They said have a nice day turned and left and head off away from the river. never seen none of em again.

Obama: First President to Acknowledge Non-Believers Deliverance

Ha..ha..I love it!

And at the same time, it reveals the hypocrisy of their mission. Either they were too intimidated to proclaim their beliefs because you were holding a gun, or they stereotyped and came to the conclusion that people such as yourself don't fit the description of their cookie cutter dogma. I can just imagine them thanking their magical pajamas that they got out of there in one piece. Very Happy
Americanadian
Americanadian

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 am

Americanadian wrote:
HotParadox wrote:Too funny, A! But messy.

Some of them aren't too bad, but some are adamant in remaining on your doorstep after being politely asked to depart at their earliest convenience. Visions of bad decisions end up clouding the cognitive reasoning process in the frontal lobe.

I suppose one could purchase a Strait Jacket costume designed to look genuine and drool a little on the way to the door to greet them; "Hi...my name is Mumbles...can you help me out of this thing? I really need to scratch my ass."
You're funny!

I am loathe to people peddling their religion like the Fuller Brush man, coupled with the fact that I really don't like unsolicited visits from strangers; I guess is what it boils down to.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by catch-22 Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:36 am

HotParadox wrote:Quote:
"In his inaugural address, President Obama said: 'We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you. For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and non-believers.'"

I don't have a problem with this. Why? Because WE ARE a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and non-believers.

How is this a threat to people of faith or traditionalists? Are we not supposed to love each other as our brother? Or are we just paying lip-service to the words of Jesus?

Or do people of faith and/or traditionalists not see this as a big deal?

What's your viewpoint?

The article is here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-01-20-obama-non-believers_N.htm
I don't think it was meant threaten people of faith or traditionalists otherwise it would have backfired entirely.

It was, clearly, a warning that it is business as asual as far as extremists and terrorists are concerned.

catch-22

Male
Number of posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by catch-22 Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:51 am

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:I was pointing out that there was no substance to the story, therefore, the person that put it together did so with the agenda of it being another cheapshot.
I thought there was a great deal of substance to the story and I think there will be more references to Obama's background as a black American. The struggles of non -white Americans and the consequent triumphs gives him a profound sense of passion and compassion. Something which this planet as a whole has sadly been lacking of late.

Yet in its rhetoric and references, and in Obama's "almost musical delivery," it was thoroughly expressive of a black and Christian man........

I'm impressed!

catch-22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:26 am

HotParadox wrote:
The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Yes.

Chill out.

Relax.

It's called my opinion.

Thanks
What opinion? "Can't really see the point being made." By whom? The article? Me? You didn't clarify, or add anything. Just kind of left it there. I took it differently than you apparently meant it.

Yes.

You did.

No matter.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:22 pm

Quote:

Excellent statement. I don't recall hearing a President say anything similar before.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon
Number of posts : 577
Humor : Yes

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:55 pm

catch-22 wrote:
The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:I was pointing out that there was no substance to the story, therefore, the person that put it together did so with the agenda of it being another cheapshot.
I thought there was a great deal of substance to the story and I think there will be more references to Obama's background as a black American. The struggles of non -white Americans and the consequent triumphs gives him a profound sense of passion and compassion. Something which this planet as a whole has sadly been lacking of late.
I was very impressed with the story, C. I think BO hit one out of the park by acknowledging every American and the author of this piece, I thought, highlighted the positives in BO's speech.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:58 pm

PaulM wrote:Quote:

Excellent statement. I don't recall hearing a President say anything similar before.
Right. If I understand correctly, he is the first president in inaugural history to acknowledge every American. Well Done.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:35 pm

Well I guess that I had better put my 2 cents in also. I firmly believe that it is the right of each and every person in this great country of ours wether or not they are a citizen or not, live here or not or just visiting, to worship what ever God they may chose or perhaps chose not to worship any God at all.

That right was granted to them under the United States Constutution and they do not have to answer to anyone at all fo what ever they chose to or not to believe.

Yet there are those that will condem those that do believe and those that will condem thosse that do not believe.

Why is it that you want others to respect you in your beliefs but you do not want to grant that same courtesy to them in return?

I am not adressing this to those that have a belief in any one or more faith, nor to those that do not have any belief at all. But rather to all concerned with the religious aspect here.

I believe that you have the right to disagree with but not to condem those that do not believe as you do. Talk, debate and question the other persons beliefs or lack of yes. But to become angered over it no. If you want to be respected for what you believe in and the way you believe, then respect the other person in return for what they believe and how they do it. If you cannot do this then perhaps you should remain silent on the matter.

And that is more that I have said about this subject in many years. I believe that you must be at peace with yourself before you can be at peace with someone else when discusing things like this.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:39 pm

Old Timer wrote:Well I guess that I had better put my 2 cents in also. I firmly believe that it is the right of each and every person in this great country of ours wether or not they are a citizen or not, live here or not or just visiting, to worship what ever God they may chose or perhaps chose not to worship any God at all.

That right was granted to them under the United States Constutution and they do not have to answer to anyone at all fo what ever they chose to or not to believe.

Yet there are those that will condem those that do believe and those that will condem thosse that do not believe.

Why is it that you want others to respect you in your beliefs but you do not want to grant that same courtesy to them in return?

I am not adressing this to those that have a belief in any one or more faith, nor to those that do not have any belief at all. But rather to all concerned with the religious aspect here.

I believe that you have the right to disagree with but not to condem those that do not believe as you do. Talk, debate and question the other persons beliefs or lack of yes. But to become angered over it no. If you want to be respected for what you believe in and the way you believe, then respect the other person in return for what they believe and how they do it. If you cannot do this then perhaps you should remain silent on the matter.

And that is more that I have said about this subject in many years. I believe that you must be at peace with yourself before you can be at peace with someone else when discusing things like this.
Well chosen words, well put and eloquent, OT. Thanks for a great post.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Well said, OT.

The difficulty is, and I have always found this, is that the 'believers' seem to take any critique of their religion like an attack on them.

It is boring.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:33 pm

And it seems to be the same with all religions and non believers to. It will never end. Sad

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:38 pm

I can't really be challenged for my NON belief though, since by not believing, I am not asserting that I think some stories are literal truth.

I always say, hey, prove these claims, and if you can, I will be the first to take it all back.

Of course, the proof never comes.

Maybe it cannot be shown, because it doesn't exist....

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Something you might expect but has never been spoken before...he made me feel inclusive to the process as an Atheist. Good Stuff!!! Very Happy
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by catch-22 Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:28 pm

HotParadox wrote:
catch-22 wrote:
I was very impressed with the story, C. I think BO hit one out of the park by acknowledging every American and the author of this piece, I thought, highlighted the positives in BO's speech.
He also said, in an interview, that although there is much to be done, it's the American people who are going to have to do most of the work to get us back on track.
That was what I saw as the main message Obama was putting forward throughout his whole campaign and that is why I voted for him.

If he can pull us together so we take an interest in making things better rather than driving a wedge between us, he just might be able to undo the damage that has been done to us over the last 8 years.

I imagine there will be times when he wishes he didn't get lumbered with all the crap left by Bush, but if he has the support of the people by drawing them together, who knows, maybe we will regain some of the lost respect. I also think the rest of the world will be very watchful of our behavior and if they see some radical changes in a postive way, they will react in the same way.

catch-22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by catch-22 Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Peregrine wrote:

Something you might expect but has never been spoken before...he made me feel inclusive to the process as an Atheist. Good Stuff!!! Very Happy
exactly! United we stand, divided, we fall!

catch-22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:32 pm

Just a thought, but one huge issue America will always face, is the sheer mass and size of popualtion.

Factor in all the cultural swings, and you may have diversity, but you will never have true unity.

Obama might be received one way in NYC and quite another in the deep south.... Rolling Eyes

In 2009, I really believe that many American states might be better of being nations in their own right, with their own culture and own constitution, etc.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by catch-22 Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:39 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Well said, OT.

The difficulty is, and I have always found this, is that the 'believers' seem to take any critique of their religion like an attack on them.

It is boring.
Then they are not at peace with their religion and yes, they are boring.

catch-22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:42 pm

catch-22 wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
catch-22 wrote:
He also said, in an interview, that although there is much to be done, it's the American people who are going to have to do most of the work to get us back on track.
That was what I saw as the main message Obama was putting forward throughout his whole campaign and that is why I voted for him.

If he can pull us together so we take an interest in making things better rather than driving a wedge between us, he just might be able to undo the damage that has been done to us over the last 8 years.

I imagine there will be times when he wishes he didn't get lumbered with all the crap left by Bush, but if he has the support of the people by drawing them together, who knows, maybe we will regain some of the lost respect. I also think the rest of the world will be very watchful of our behavior and if they see some radical changes in a postive way, they will react in the same way.
He's getting high praise world wide for gitmo. Back to the US now; he's going to have a honeymoon period, the first 100 days, just like every other president, where most people will react favorably, let's give him a chance mentality and the polls will be high in his favor. After the first year we will have a pretty good handle on how he operates, who he is, etc. I wish him the best, for our sake. I've read a couple of pieces where some hope he fails. How that could work to our benefit, I have no idea. I guess some just have to be right, at all costs.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next