Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So long to a legend. Farewell Les Paul.

+2
par84forme
CarolinaHound
6 posters

Go down

So long to a legend. Farewell Les Paul. Empty So long to a legend. Farewell Les Paul.

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:45 pm

There's never really been a personality or entertainer that passed away that I truely felt a heavy loss over. It's just hard for me to feel too much loss over someone I never knew in person. Maybe because he's a guitar player that I've often watched and tried to pick up a little of his technique, I really do feel a loss over the passing of this man. However his influance in guitar playing will be with us forever.

Guitar legend Les Paul dies at age 94
Aug. 13, 2009, 11:17 AM EST
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- Les Paul, who invented the solid-body electric guitar later wielded by a legion of rock 'n' roll greats, died Thursday of complications from pneumonia. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

As an inventor, Paul also helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll with multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the tracks in the finished recording.

The use of electric guitar gained popularity in the mid-to-late 1940s, and then exploded with the advent of rock in the mid-'50s.

"Suddenly, it was recognized that power was a very important part of music," Paul once said. "To have the dynamics, to have the way of expressing yourself beyond the normal limits of an unamplified instrument, was incredible. Today a guy wouldn't think of singing a song on a stage without a microphone and a sound system."

A tinkerer and musician since childhood, he experimented with guitar amplification for years before coming up in 1941 with what he called "The Log," a four-by-four piece of wood strung with steel strings.

"I went into a nightclub and played it. Of course, everybody had me labeled as a nut." He later put the wooden wings onto the body to give it a traditional guitar shape.

In 1952, Gibson Guitars began production on the Les Paul guitar.

Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al Di Meola and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.

Over the years, the Les Paul series has become one of the most widely used guitars in the music industry. In 2005, Christie's auction house sold a 1955 Gibson Les Paul for $45,600.

Full story:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=425984>1=28102

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

So long to a legend. Farewell Les Paul. Empty Re: So long to a legend. Farewell Les Paul.

Post by par84forme Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:23 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:There's never really been a personality or entertainer that passed away that I truely felt a heavy loss over. It's just hard for me to feel too much loss over someone I never knew in person. Maybe because he's a guitar player that I've often watched and tried to pick up a little of his technique, I really do feel a loss over the passing of this man. However his influance in guitar playing will be with us forever.

Guitar legend Les Paul dies at age 94
Aug. 13, 2009, 11:17 AM EST
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- Les Paul, who invented the solid-body electric guitar later wielded by a legion of rock 'n' roll greats, died Thursday of complications from pneumonia. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

As an inventor, Paul also helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll with multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the tracks in the finished recording.

The use of electric guitar gained popularity in the mid-to-late 1940s, and then exploded with the advent of rock in the mid-'50s.

"Suddenly, it was recognized that power was a very important part of music," Paul once said. "To have the dynamics, to have the way of expressing yourself beyond the normal limits of an unamplified instrument, was incredible. Today a guy wouldn't think of singing a song on a stage without a microphone and a sound system."

A tinkerer and musician since childhood, he experimented with guitar amplification for years before coming up in 1941 with what he called "The Log," a four-by-four piece of wood strung with steel strings.

"I went into a nightclub and played it. Of course, everybody had me labeled as a nut." He later put the wooden wings onto the body to give it a traditional guitar shape.

In 1952, Gibson Guitars began production on the Les Paul guitar.

Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al Di Meola and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.

Over the years, the Les Paul series has become one of the most widely used guitars in the music industry. In 2005, Christie's auction house sold a 1955 Gibson Les Paul for $45,600.

Full story:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=425984>1=28102

nice post ch
par84forme
par84forme

Male
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

So long to a legend. Farewell Les Paul. Empty Re: So long to a legend. Farewell Les Paul.

Post by HotParadox Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 pm

My boys were devastated when I told them the news today. Les Paul has been, and will continue to be, their mentor. The one thing that impressed me the most was the common sense they demonstrated when they wondered, my youngest son Alex actually did, why all the lingering hype over 'legends' like Michael Jackson, and so little news today over Les Paul, since (according to them) Les Paul was responsible for the electric guitar, multi-track recording, and more. Of course, they realize that it is drugs and vulgarity that makes and sells the news today and they were asking a rhetorical question, but the answer they already knew did not soften the blow or make much sense to them. Or to me. RIP, Mr. Les Paul.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Thank you Par.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:11 pm

I was thinking the same thing HP. Les Paul was a man that was a great role model for anybody, and they have barely mentioned his name.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Right, doggieboy. You know, they've been channel surfing all day and on the internet and they just can't get over the lack of coverage. It really does speak to the kind of society we live in today.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Yea it does. It's a shame.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:05 pm

Farewell to a legend. In memory of him.........

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:58 pm

The thing that amazed me about Les Paul is just how cleanly he could play. Really amazing.

I feel this way because I have never really heard anyone that could play a guitar as cleanly and smooth as he did. He could transition from chord to chord, from key to key and you would never hear his fingers slide across the fret board.

I am sorry about his passing.

Though I am happy that he lived such a long life, doing what he loved.

He left us with the gift of music.

He will live through his music for many, many years to come.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Nice little historical tribute here:

HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:57 pm

I forgot to mention he was the greatest guitar player who ever lived.

The best.

In my mind there is no question about that.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by xshivx Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:48 am

oh noooo Crying or Very sad what ashame

well atleast he had a long life Smile xxx
xshivx
xshivx

Female
Taurus Horse
Number of posts : 1115
Job/hobbies : i work as a lobby hostess at mcdonalds, my hobbies are, singing, dancing, playing the drums, writing
Humor : a bit of everything
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:57 am

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down