Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So long Daniel Boone. 'Davy Crockett' star Fess Parker dead at 85.

2 posters

Go down

So long Daniel Boone. 'Davy Crockett' star Fess Parker dead at 85. Empty So long Daniel Boone. 'Davy Crockett' star Fess Parker dead at 85.

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:25 pm

I grew up watching the re-runs of Daniel Boone. It's a shame they don't make TV progaming like that anymore.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Actor Fess Parker, who became every baby boomer's idol in the 1950s and launched a craze for coonskin caps as television's Davy Crockett, died Thursday of natural causes. He was 85.

Family spokeswoman Sao Anash said Parker, who was also TV's Daniel Boone and later a major California winemaker and developer, died at his Santa Ynez Valley home. His death comes on the 84th birthday of his wife of 50 years, Marcella.

"She's a wreck," Anash said, adding Parker was coherent and speaking with family just minutes before his death. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

The first installment of "Davy Crockett," with Buddy Ebsen as Crockett's sidekick, debuted in December 1954 as part of the "Disneyland" TV show.

The 6-foot, 6-inch Parker was quickly embraced by youngsters as the man in a coonskin cap who stood for the spirit of the American frontier. Boomers gripped by the Crockett craze scooped up Davy lunch boxes, toy Old Betsy rifles, buckskin shirts and trademark fur caps. "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" ("Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee...") was a No. 1 hit for singer Bill Hayes while Parker's own version reached No. 5.

The first three television episodes were turned into a theatrical film, "Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier," in 1955.

True to history, Disney killed off its hero in the third episode, "Davy Crockett at the Alamo," where the real-life Crockett died in 1836 at age 49. But spurred by popular demand, Disney brought back the Crockett character for some episodes in the 1955-56 season, including "Davy Crockett's Keelboat Race." In reporting this development, Hedda Hopper wrote: "Take off those black armbands, kids, and put on your coonskin caps, for Davy Crockett will hit the trail again."

But just as suddenly it had taken the country by storm, the craze died down.

More... http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=488788&gt1=28103

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

So long Daniel Boone. 'Davy Crockett' star Fess Parker dead at 85. Empty Re: So long Daniel Boone. 'Davy Crockett' star Fess Parker dead at 85.

Post by Old Timer Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 pm

So long Fess, I grew up watching you on TV. NO RERUNS. You will be missed.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

So long Daniel Boone. 'Davy Crockett' star Fess Parker dead at 85. Empty Re: So long Daniel Boone. 'Davy Crockett' star Fess Parker dead at 85.

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Old Timer wrote:So long Fess, I grew up watching you on TV. NO RERUNS. You will be missed.

Dang you old! affraid

Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:24 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:So long Fess, I grew up watching you on TV. NO RERUNS. You will be missed.

Dang you old! affraid

YEP...................................

Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Dang you old! affraid

Very Happy

Maybe not old, aged and refined like a fine cheese. What a Face

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:45 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Dang you old! affraid

Very Happy

And you my friende are like the fine wine. Smooth

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:34 am

Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Dang you old! affraid

Very Happy

lol, more like a fine wine-o. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:43 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Dang you old! affraid

Very Happy

But still smooth

lol, more like a fine wine-o. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down