Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ideal School?

+2
HotParadox
Cartoon Head
6 posters

Go down

The Ideal School? Empty The Ideal School?

Post by Cartoon Head Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:58 pm

Researchers recently confirmed what I have felt for years - that trauncy levels in schools are directly related to the boring way that many subjects are taught, and even the subjects themselves.

So, here is our chance to create the ideal school.

Subjects that you feel would captivate the pupils.

Make a couple of suggestions each.

And explain why you chose those.

Avoid English, Maths, etc, since these are a given, anyway.

Okay, I will go first.

I would like to see all kids get the chance to expericence nature more, more talks by those with experience in exotic creatures, and their great beauty. Perhaps bring some in, let the kids see them, and understand them, etc..

I am sure that kids would love that to be a regular thing, and it IS teaching them about the importance of the enviornment too.

And since we live in a dangerous world, I would suggest that we teach all kids combat, at schools.

Perhaps something like Krav Maga, best for real life.

Would maybe even lead to a reduction in knife crime, as scared kids would not feel the need to carry, for 'protection', they could rely on their training, and be confident.

Cartoon Head

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

The Ideal School? Empty Re: The Ideal School?

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:02 am

Kids, 5th grade and up, must serve at a local childrens' hospital and administer to the needs of terminally ill kids.
******To develop compassion.

Kids, 5th grade and up, must serve at a nursing home and listen to, read to and play board games/
cards/checkers with the elderly.

Kids, high school level, if they are willing and with parents' approval, will make at least one visit to the morgue and view the bodies of teens killed in auto accidents and/or by drugs.
******To witness the possible results of wreckless behavior.

My kids did all these things. It works to their advantage.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:25 am

HotParadox wrote:Kids, high school level, if they are willing and with parents' approval, will make at least one visit to the morgue and view the bodies of teens killed in auto accidents and/or by drugs.

And a drug rehab just to see what it's realy like to try and get off the stuff.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 am

HotParadox wrote:Kids, 5th grade and up, must serve at a local childrens' hospital and administer to the needs of terminally ill kids.

Kids, 5th grade and up, must serve at a nursing home and listen to, read to and play board games/
cards/checkers with the elderly.

Kids, high school level, if they are willing and with parents' approval, will make at least one visit to the morgue and view the bodies of teens killed in auto accidents and/or by drugs.

These are good.

Keep them coming, folks...

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:40 am

Maybe change the class from 'combat' to 'self defense'. A stronger emphasis on Geography. I know that in the U.S. at least many people couldn't tell you where the Persian Gulf is... much less the Tigris River. Of course to compliment the Geography class... Political Science-Comparitave Systems. To let students know that there are other governmental forms in the world that are just as viable as rebuplican democracy.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon
Number of posts : 577
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:54 am

How about a class were kids could literally invent stuff? Give them some knowledge, some materials, and let them go?

Who wouldn't want to attend a class like that!

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 am

PaulM wrote:Political Science-Comparitave Systems. To let students know that there are other governmental forms in the world that are just as viable as rebuplican democracy.

Yes, very good, I like that one.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:44 am

And let us not foget about the past and include archeology along with field trips to real digs. The future must also be thought of With courses on astronomy and perhaps include S.E.T.,I. and What is really being done in the search for life out there.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:Kids, high school level, if they are willing and with parents' approval, will make at least one visit to the morgue and view the bodies of teens killed in auto accidents and/or by drugs.

And a drug rehab just to see what it's realy like to try and get off the stuff.
Absolutely, doggieboy. Now that's a great idea. I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Anddon't forget about the maternity ward, Or a home for unwed mothers.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:26 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:How about a class were kids could literally invent stuff? Give them some knowledge, some materials, and let them go?

Who wouldn't want to attend a class like that!
My Alex has just done that in school, mandatory, as part of a science course. He invented a device that would keep your brew the correct temperature at all times. I'm not joking. Of all the things he could have invented, his mind led him to a brewski... Suspect
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Did he? When you say 'brew', do you mean any liquid refreshment, hot and cold?

He should patent that.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 pm

There are tons of classes that could be added. I think schools here in the US are lightyears behind other countries. I know here in Texas we have the TAKS test. It's a standardized test that schools are graded on and that's how they receive funding. As a result TAKS preperation is all they teach. They teach all year how to pass the TAKS. They don't teach the important things like teaching kids how to think. They program them like robots and kids can't think for themselves. I see this all the time with my son and it frustrates the hell out of me. Kids are taught to find the right answer and that everything has a "right answer". Then when they get into college where, a lot of the time there is no right or wrong answer, they struggle. Your answer is "right" as long as you can justify and support your answer.

Kids should also be required to learn more than one language. Currently they are required to take, I think 2 foreign laguage classes. But what I'm talking about it really learning it. They start "English" classes in 1st grade. Start them in Spanish in 1st grade as well.
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Good post Slick, mate.

Not much I can disagree with there.

To accomodate these suggestions though, we would need to either drop some of the stuff that is presently in the curriculum, or we would have to have kids attending school for longer hours, like a 9-5, or the present hours, plus a Sat morning?

Kids love nature.

Bugs and things.

I keep them, Praying Mantids, Velvet Worms, Camel Spiders, etc.

I have done a couple of shows, for free, to scout groups and so on.

They love it.

I would like to create a site for this, but it is not something that I am good at.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:47 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Did he? When you say 'brew', do you mean any liquid refreshment, hot and cold?

He should patent that.
He might!

When Americans say something like " I could go for a nice brew right about now." or "Hey, you want a brewski?" we mean beer and only beer.

Another reference to beer is "a cold one", as in "Hey, let's break open a cold one."
Of course unless things have drastically changed across the pond, and I hope for the sake of good brew they have, you would definitely not know that one. When I was over there the first time, I couldn't believe it when the bartender served me a room temp beer! Suspect affraid
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 pm

HotParadox wrote:
The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Did he? When you say 'brew', do you mean any liquid refreshment, hot and cold?

He should patent that.
He might!

When Americans say something like " I could go for a nice brew right about now." or "Hey, you want a brewski?" we mean beer and only beer.

Another reference to beer is "a cold one", as in "Hey, let's break open a cold one."
Of course unless things have drastically changed across the pond, and I hope for the sake of good brew they have, you would definitely not know that one. When I was over there the first time, I couldn't believe it when the bartender served me a room temp beer! Suspect affraid

Okay.

So he invented something that keeps beer cool.

Here's a name for it.

Just an idea.

Fridge?

tongue

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:02 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

He should patent that.
He might!

Okay.

So he invented something that keeps beer cool.

Here's a name for it.

Just an idea.

Fridge?

tongue
That's funny! He invented something not even remotely close.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:06 pm

You know I came up with an invention to keep beer cold not too long ago but I haven't come up with a name yet. Maybe you guys can help.

It's basically a big styofoam box with a lid on it. You have to put ice in it to make it work though. What could I call it...
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Big Slick wrote:You know I came up with an invention to keep beer cold not too long ago but I haven't come up with a name yet. Maybe you guys can help.

It's basically a big styofoam box with a lid on it. You have to put ice in it to make it work though. What could I call it...

George?

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:18 pm

The big chiller

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:54 am

PaulM wrote:Maybe change the class from 'combat' to 'self defense'. A stronger emphasis on Geography. I know that in the U.S. at least many people couldn't tell you where the Persian Gulf is... much less the Tigris River. Of course to compliment the Geography class... Political Science-Comparitave Systems. To let students know that there are other governmental forms in the world that are just as viable as rebuplican democracy.

Perhaps combine geography, social studies/foreign studies, and teach a little of the martial arts styles as part of the geography and social studies lessons? That way geography wouldn't be such a boring class. Sorry, it was. Sleep lol!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:56 am

Big Slick wrote:You know I came up with an invention to keep beer cold not too long ago but I haven't come up with a name yet. Maybe you guys can help.

Styrofoam box with lid on it to keep the beer cold????? Smile

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:11 am

Hey Dawg, that was a toughie, how did ya ever come up with that one. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down