Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homework and After School Activities:Are Kids Overburdened?

4 posters

Go down

Homework and After School Activities:Are Kids Overburdened? Empty Homework and After School Activities:Are Kids Overburdened?

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Free time and free play at home is a period during which kids can get into their creative selves and spend time with their families.

Kids come home with so much homework and have so many after school activities that it begs the questions:
When is enough enough and is this much good for them?

Children have sports and lessons and you name it after school and then come home faced with hours of homework, with hardly any time to themselves or to share with their families.

Dinner hour is a dwindling tradition because many families are rarely together at that time of day.

Do teachers give kids so much homework in order to help take much of the load off of themselves and place it squarely in the laps of parents?

Do kids need to be kept busy every minute to keep them occupied and out of trouble?
Or do parents allow it and even encourage it in order to keep themselves free to do their own thing?

Are kids overburdened?
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Homework and After School Activities:Are Kids Overburdened? Empty Re: Homework and After School Activities:Are Kids Overburdened?

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Yes, yes, and yes.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Homework and After School Activities:Are Kids Overburdened? Empty Re: Homework and After School Activities:Are Kids Overburdened?

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:18 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Yes, yes, and yes.
lol, good input. Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:25 pm

Ditto!

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 pm

DM007 wrote:
Ditto!
Another awesome answer.
Now we're cooking. Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:37 pm

HotParadox wrote:
DM007 wrote:
Ditto!
Another awesome answer.
Yup!

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:38 pm

lol Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:45 pm

All right! We're off to a bang here and have two informative answers from our very own DM and doggieboy. Anybody else want to chime in with even more insight? Sleep
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:48 pm

DM007 wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
DM007 wrote:
Ditto!
Another awesome answer.
Yup!

Spot on.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:54 pm

I agree, as well. I almost feel like our kids are learning less than when I was in school but with 4 times the amount of homework I had. I think a lot of it is that some new teachers simply don't understand how to teach. I also think the "No Child Left Behind" act means that the teachers spend less time teaching about subjects that need to be taught and more time on subjects that will be tested on. Since the children still need to know about subjects that get neglected, they use homework as a learning tool instead of teaching it in the classroom.

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:21 pm

lisan23 wrote:I agree, as well. I almost feel like our kids are learning less than when I was in school but with 4 times the amount of homework I had. I think a lot of it is that some new teachers simply don't understand how to teach. I also think the "No Child Left Behind" act means that the teachers spend less time teaching about subjects that need to be taught and more time on subjects that will be tested on. Since the children still need to know about subjects that get neglected, they use homework as a learning tool instead of teaching it in the classroom.
Exactly. And do you know what, lisan, they even do that in college now. What the freak, college, they actually give the kids a list of what to learn and read for the semester and then that's it for some of these profs. And then the final is on the stuff the kids taught themselves from the list. Disgusting.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:22 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
DM007 wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
DM007 wrote:
Ditto!
Another awesome answer.
Yup!

Spot on.
True that.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Ok, here's a question. If the home work and other activities were lighter, would parents really take that time to spend with their children. Or would they be so tired when they come home from work that they'd send the kids off to their room with the video games and computers?

Facts are, there are teachers teaching that are not qualified because anybody with any sense will turn away from teaching as a career. Low pay, long hours, and too many students per class drives any idea of being a teacher out of people that would make good teachers.

Parents rely too much on schools and after school activities as alternate day care because they have to work to maintain a home. It's not so much their fault as much as the fact that to get ahead both parents have to work, or single parents have to work two or three jobs. So the burden of raising the children is left more to the schools, video games, and the computer.

Can you imagine what it's like to be one person trying to teach a class of 35 or 40 students? And when you get up into middle school and beyond where you have 7 periods of an hour with each period having a different set of 35 to 40 students is it any wonder they expect some help from the parents?

But then you have the parents side. Imagine both parents working 9 to 12 or more hours a day. Many of them have their own work they bring home. Or the single parents working multiple jobs just to keep a roof over their children's head and cloths on their backs. Is it any wonder they ask for the schools to do more and half raise their children?

What's the answer? Maybe lower our expectations of what kind of house we live in? Lower our standards of what's a suitable environment to raise our children in? Start working less and living in less desirable homes so we can have more quality time with our children. To spend more time raising them rather than letting our schools do it for us?

Raise the standards of what we expect from those teachers who are already stretched as far as they can be? Lower the standards for what a qualified teacher is maybe so more will deem it worthwhile to become a teacher?

I don't know. Personally I can see where both sides need some fixing. I'm not condemning either side. I'm just saying things need to be done both by parents and by the education system. In the end it's going to be the kids who suffer.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:48 pm

It might have been a few centuries ago when I went to school but, We were not given that kind of work load that the kids have today. Have any of you ever seen the progream Smarter than a 5th grader. A lot of the things sthey are theaching them today we did not have until high school. Iagree. To much is not good. Remember the old saying of To many cooks spoil the broth. That can also apply to school work today. Evil or Very Mad

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Old Timer wrote:It might have been a few centuries ago when I went to school but, We were not given that kind of work load that the kids have today. Have any of you ever seen the progream Smarter than a 5th grader. A lot of the things sthey are theaching them today we did not have until high school. Iagree. To much is not good. Remember the old saying of To many cooks spoil the broth. That can also apply to school work today. Evil or Very Mad

That is true, education is becomeing more of an assembly line. And it's more about the numbers than the quality.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Old Timer wrote:It might have been a few centuries ago when I went to school but, We were not given that kind of work load that the kids have today. Have any of you ever seen the progream Smarter than a 5th grader. A lot of the things sthey are theaching them today we did not have until high school. Iagree. To much is not good. Remember the old saying of To many cooks spoil the broth. That can also apply to school work today. Evil or Very Mad

That show is a load of crap! My step mom is a 4th grade teacher and she says that a lot of 5th graders wouldn't even know the answers to those questions. She thinks that they get the questions off of "gifted" tests for 5th graders, not from average 5th grade testing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:22 pm

lisan23 wrote:

That show is a load of crap! My step mom is a 4th grade teacher and she says that a lot of 5th graders wouldn't even know the answers to those questions. She thinks that they get the questions off of "gifted" tests for 5th graders, not from average 5th grade testing.

Well that is something I was not aware of, but then of course they would not tell you anything like that now would they. Question

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down