Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with!

+6
PaulM
Old Timer
CarolinaHound
Peregrine(Endangered)
jigglepete
HotParadox
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Empty GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with!

Post by HotParadox Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:53 pm

GET BACK!

This seems like a good place to talk about the decade that we were each born in or that we associate ourselves with the most or the one that we would love to have lived in.

How did your decade of choice impact you and/or the world?

This could be fun. Clips/vids would be fun, too!

Back to the '60's/"Wipe Out!", The British Invasion, Cool Cars, Hitchhikers!

This link has something in it for everyone to enjoy. If it's before your time, you'll still enjoy it especially for the music. This is loaded with facts, trivia, cool cars, styles and politics. The British Invasion was everywhere in the States and everybody even picked up hitchhikers.

It was the last decade of innocence.

http://objflicks.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm

Last edited by HotParadox on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Empty Re: GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with!

Post by jigglepete Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm

I was born in the 60's

Should have been earlier...

Too young in the 70's to really appreciate the scene

The 80's were my 60's and 70's, and aside from the new music of that decade,

I guess that is the decade that I associate myself with...I am a NEO-HIPPY...I admit it...and I'm proud of it... Razz

jigglepete

Male
Gemini Snake
Number of posts : 162
Job/hobbies : Gardening/GARdening
Humor : Some think yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Empty Re: GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with!

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Yep this was my era...actually started in 56" when I was thirteen and Elvis was just coming on the scene...It was the best time ever, it wasn't until the Vietnam war that our life as we knew it began to change and its never been the same since...today's world is scary and dangerous...I feel freedom slipping away inch by inch..Glad I was born in the 40's. My bigest thrill was seeing MLK in Montgomery in 1962. I went to Washington for President Kennedy's viewing in the rotunda in 63'. I think maybe, if I'm not wrong, O.T. shares this same period of time with me? This is actually just a little snippet, there is so much more but it would take way too much time.

Last edited by Peregrine(Endangered) on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:15 pm

jigglepete wrote:I was born in the 60's

I guess that is the decade that I associate myself with...I am a NEO-HIPPY...I admit it...and I'm proud of it... Razz

ditto on the 80's that was my coming of age decade. Just barely got born in the 60's. My birth year was 69, go figure. What a Face Personaly I think I was born in the wrong century, I should of hit the scene about 1860.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jigglepete Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:21 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:

ditto on the 80's that was my coming of age decade. Just barely got born in the 60's. My birth year was 69, go figure. What a Face Personaly I think I was born in the wrong century, I should of hit the scene about 1860.

Were amps and axes invented way back then? You might just want to re-access that thought farao

jigglepete

Male
Gemini Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:26 pm

jigglepete wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Were amps and axes invented way back then? You might just want to re-access that thought farao

Reckon I'd just have to go unplugged. But there again I'd of had no idea about amps so I wouldn't really be missing them.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:31 pm

But ya know.. thinking of my personality as well my teenage years, sombodies daddy would of shot me by 17, so lets take it back to the 80's Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by jigglepete Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:33 pm

Well Hound, I simply cannot argue with that logic, now can I...Maybe you would have taken up harp, or violin instead...You know to impress the ladies Very Happy

jigglepete

Male
Gemini Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:37 pm

jigglepete wrote:Well Hound, I simply cannot argue with that logic, now can I...Maybe you would have taken up harp, or violin instead...You know to impress the ladies Very Happy

I did start out on trumpet. Probably play a horn. Yea, that'd be me, the bugle boy of some calvery regiment with a arrow sticking thru my skull.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Right on and sing it sister brother. afro Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:02 pm

If I could have gone back to any place in time it would have had to have been in the early days of our countrys beginning when the west was just starting to open up. 1780 to 1820 era. Room to grow and room to explore.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Old Timer wrote:If I could have gone back to any place in time it would have had to have been in the early days of our countrys beginning when the west was just starting to open up. 1780 to 1820 era. Room to grow and room to explore.
That's what I always thought when I was little. I would always read stories about that period. Now, I think it would be not so nice. santa
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:22 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:If I could have gone back to any place in time it would have had to have been in the early days of our countrys beginning when the west was just starting to open up. 1780 to 1820 era. Room to grow and room to explore.
That's what I always thought when I was little. I would always read stories about that period. Now, I think it would be not so nice. santa

think of the challenges back then HP, I would have loved to try.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

My problem is I hate a cold house and ditto hard work. Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

I think it'd be cool. Get up into the mountains, build a cabin, no need for anything more than a horse, axe, rifle and ammo. Skinin Griz.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:18 pm

You would be very surprised how long the romance of the period would last, if it were possible for you to be put to the test.

The men and woman toiled just to survive and I mean survive, as in not die. It was a hard life in hard times, even for the very young and the very old. It is a romantic period to think about but living it, for most everyone, was hellish.

Weather and common sicknesses, things that are simple fixes today, were a constant death threat. Take the farmers for instance. Crops, such as wheat, being tended by the entire family, even by the very young and by the elderly members of families, were often wiped out by one stretch of bad weather. That meant havoc, not only for the families who grew the food but for all who would have been provided with the crops. Livestock were often stricken with deadly diseases that today are not a problem, leaving the cattle families wiped out and broken and people dependent on the livestock, hungry.

It was a tough time in which to survive, without massive hard work and lots of good luck .
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Leave it to a woman to poo all over a fella's dreams. tongue

I love you

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:47 pm

lol Smile
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:01 am

My generation wasn't to long ago, I reminisce about the 90's... lol. BUT when it comes to music, I LOVE LOVE LOVE a lot of oldies. Everything from Nat King Cole to Elton John's old stuff, The Beatles and Rolling Stones, Stealers Wheel, Neil Diamond, Elvis (of course), and much much more. I grew up listening to a lot of oldies and I still love them.

As for a time I wish to be born in - that's easy. The Tudor time. Specifically around King Henry VIII to the Elizabethan time. But, being a history junkie... there's also about a million other times I would want to be alive in. I would love to be in Spain when Isabel and Ferdinand ruled, I would want to be in 2 places at once because I'd also want to be in Germany during the Reformation. I'd also want to be around for DaVinci during the Renaissance, and more recently I would've liked to have been around for the beginning of this country. There's probably a ton more if I really want to think about it. (Rome while Jesus Christ was on the earth - though I'm not really a Christian. It would be interesting.)

I'll just stop there, because there are a ton more now that I'm thinking about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:14 am

Hmmm, interesting thread. This was me in 1955... 3 years old Smile
GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! N1301638240_4558

I was in 4th grade when Kennedy was shot & in high school for the moon landing. Was right in on the 70's (bad decade... better left in the past)
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon
Number of posts : 577
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:08 am

lisan23 wrote:My generation wasn't to long ago, I reminisce about the 90's... lol. BUT when it comes to music, I LOVE LOVE LOVE a lot of oldies. Everything from Nat King Cole to Elton John's old stuff, The Beatles and Rolling Stones, Stealers Wheel, Neil Diamond, Elvis (of course), and much much more. I grew up listening to a lot of oldies and I still love them.

As for a time I wish to be born in - that's easy. The Tudor time. Specifically around King Henry VIII to the Elizabethan time. But, being a history junkie... there's also about a million other times I would want to be alive in. I would love to be in Spain when Isabel and Ferdinand ruled, I would want to be in 2 places at once because I'd also want to be in Germany during the Reformation. I'd also want to be around for DaVinci during the Renaissance, and more recently I would've liked to have been around for the beginning of this country. There's probably a ton more if I really want to think about it. (Rome while Jesus Christ was on the earth - though I'm not really a Christian. It would be interesting.)

I'll just stop there, because there are a ton more now that I'm thinking about it.
Awesome post, lisan! I wish you didn't just stop there, just because I was really starting to get into it.

You know what else would be cool, is if you could live in a certain time and be a person that is interesting to you. Like I would like to be Diana, Princess of Wales. Not for the whole part of her life. Just up until the crash. affraid
It would be cool to see how the Royal Family works through the eyes of a commoner who marries into such a dysfunctional family, plus you get to wear all those designer clothes and live like a queen. Very Happy
I would have just sit back and mocked them if I had been her, and not succumbed to all the hell they put her through. Crying or Very sad
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:10 am

PaulM wrote:Hmmm, interesting thread. This was me in 1955... 3 years old Smile
GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! N1301638240_4558

I was in 4th grade when Kennedy was shot & in high school for the moon landing. Was right in on the 70's (bad decade... better left in the past)
Can I just say you were they cutest kid ever. Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:27 am

My mama dressed me funny when I was a kid.

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Thedon69

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:16 am

CarolinaHound wrote:My mama dressed me funny when I was a kid.

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Thedon69
OMG how what a beautiful little boy! I love the clothes, so cute how Mums back then dress their little boys like little gentlemen. I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:36 am

HotParadox wrote:

OMG how what a beautiful little boy! I love the clothes, so cute how Mums back then dress their little boys like little gentlemen. I love you

How quickly things change though huh?

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:02 am

Uh uh. No way. You're a good looking guy, very manly. I dig that.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:16 am

HotParadox wrote:Uh uh. No way. You're a good looking guy, very manly. I dig that.

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Awwshucks

Thank you and yer pertty too.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:29 am

Thank you. I'm the second from the left.

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Ugly
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 am

And yer just as cute as you can be to Laughing

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:39 am

HotParadox wrote:You would be very surprised how long the romance of the period would last, if it were possible for you to be put to the test.

The men and woman toiled just to survive and I mean survive, as in not die. It was a hard life in hard times, even for the very young and the very old. It is a romantic period to think about but living it, for most everyone, was hellish.

Weather and common sicknesses, things that are simple fixes today, were a constant death threat. Take the farmers for instance. Crops, such as wheat, being tended by the entire family, even by the very young and by the elderly members of families, were often wiped out by one stretch of bad weather. That meant havoc, not only for the families who grew the food but for all who would have been provided with the crops. Livestock were often stricken with deadly diseases that today are not a problem, leaving the cattle families wiped out and broken and people dependent on the livestock, hungry.

It was a tough time in which to survive, without massive hard work and lots of good luck .

Yes, I can agree up to a point. But to an old back woods boy from southern Missouri who grew up hunting and fishing and has also spent considrable time in the mountains alone prospecting, I really doubt if I would have had much trouble. Cool

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:53 am

Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:You would be very surprised how long the romance of the period would last, if it were possible for you to be put to the test.

Yes, I can agree up to a point. But to an old back woods boy from southern Missouri who grew up hunting and fishing and has also spent considrable time in the mountains alone prospecting, I really doubt if I would have had much trouble. Cool

ditto cept From NC and no prospecting just alone in the woods.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 am

HotParadox wrote:We have a lot of luxuries today that we take for granted that they simply did not have, not in their wildest dreams. I don't care how rugged you are, today's ruggedness is but a rose petal compared to the day to day living and actual hardships of all; young and old, man or woman, back in those day. Hunting and fishing and prospecting alone are choices. You can leave it if you truly want. Those things alone would have been a day at the beach for the people of that period, who had no choice but to endure or die.

Can't speak for OT but I never want to leave it. However I can't pay child support living alone in the woods and it would be wrong to deprive my kids because of a personal quirk.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:57 am

We have a lot of luxuries today that we take for granted that they simply did not have, not in their wildest dreams. I don't care how rugged either of you or any of us are; today's ruggedness is but a rose petal compared to the day to day living and actual hardships of all; young and old, man or woman, back in those days. Hunting and fishing and solitary prospecting and living in the woods alone are choices. You can take it or leave it, if you truly want. Those things would have been a day at the beach for the people of that period, who had no choice but to endure or die.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:04 pm

HotParadox wrote:We have a lot of luxuries today that we take for granted that they simply did not have, not in their wildest dreams. I don't care how rugged either of you or any of us are; today's ruggedness is but a rose petal compared to the day to day living and actual hardships of all; young and old, man or woman, back in those days. Hunting and fishing and solitary prospecting and living in the woods alone are choices. You can take it or leave it, if you truly want. Those things would have been a day at the beach for the people of that period, who had no choice but to endure or die.

All luxuries I could do without. However ac would be a tuff one to let go.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:04 pm

When I was young, free and single... GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! D_bubble GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! D_training GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Lol

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Post-11-1193859087
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon
Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Layout Designer/English and Russian subtitles
Humor : Да/Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-17

http://stagevu.com/user/birubir

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:08 pm

BiR wrote:When I was young, free and single... GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! D_bubble GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! D_training GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Lol

GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Post-11-1193859087
Wow, what a beautiful child. I really think that little boys are so precious and sweet. Thanks for these great pictures of you, BiR. I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:43 pm

HotParadox wrote:
BiR wrote:When I was young, free and single... GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! D_bubble GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! D_training GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Lol

Wow, what a beautiful child. I really think that little boys are so precious and sweet. Thanks for these great pictures of you, BiR. I love you

Hey Boris who is the litle girl in the middle picture hehehehe Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Old Timer wrote:

It's me. GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Blush GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Blum1 GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Cool
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon
Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Layout Designer/English and Russian subtitles
Humor : Да/Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-17

http://stagevu.com/user/birubir

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:17 pm

BiR wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

It's me. GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Blush GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Blum1 GET BACK! to the decade you were born in, wish you were born in or connect most with! Cool

Не волнуйтесь моего друга. Все будет хорошо для вас andyour семьи. Теперь у вас есть реальный ангел-хранитель уход за вами. Она будет заботиться о вас для нас. В конце концов нам все равно придется поделиться пить и еду один день

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Don't feel bad BiR, I've had people look at that pic of me and say how adorable that little girls curls are. They stayed jealous of my hair until I started losing it. lol

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next