Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Our Image...

+5
Old Timer
catch-22
PaulM
Kazza
Cartoon Head
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

In Our Image... - Page 3 Empty Re: In Our Image...

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:59 am

Big Slick wrote:I think that idea is totally possible. There is a vault somewhere in Europe where they are doing this same thing. I want to say it's in Sweden? I could be wrong on that but they are collecting DNA from every known animal and plant species and storing them in this huge vault just in case.

Also, about the flood. It is commonly thought of as a flood of the entire world, but a more reasonable assumption would be a flood of a region. In this time, mankind was not as spread out as they are today and a small flood in a costal region could be conceived by the people of that time as a catastrophic flood that engulfed the whole world. Which would be true to them and their known world. It's all relative.

Steve, what do you think? You always throw out discussion topics and always ask "is it possible that...", but you never actually tell anyone what you believe. Why the secrecy?

No secrecy.

I just don't know.

I think most of these things are just good stories, inc religous miracles.

In reality, I think the origins were more mundane, as it were.

Cartoon Head

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:18 pm

yeah, well I think that you are just like mne and the dawg, you just like to stir things up just like us trouble makers.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:21 pm

Old Timer wrote:yeah, well I think

You shouldn't.

Only brings you problems.

Wink

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Well bring it on, aint nothing I can't or haven't handled before.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:21 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Footnote.

If 'god' made man in his own image, was he incredibly vain?

Discuss..

"made in own image" does NOT necessairly imply made to appear the same as the originator's likeness, BUT as desired to appear by that one. Much as you are fashioning something out of wood, paper, cloth or clay or other basic, raw-material. THe results would be as you "imaged" [imagination] in your mind; a concept.
Much of what has occurred in the past has been lost to time. After all, we are considering at least five-billion years [hell of a long time!] has passed since the eath was formed. Given a billion years for things to settle out after the volitale creation process and the potential for life to occur here and flourish, who knows what all of that is. Who knows what other life is exist in the Universe. It is such a vast, endless circumstance. anyone that says there is no other life anywhere other than here is an obvious fool.
Seemingly, here, advanced civilizations could have very possibly risen and vanished, without any clue of their existence. Today, what ruins of relatively recent ancient civilizations offer a great deal of puzzlement to even the educated scientist. The language of the hierglyphs of the Mayas, Aztecs and Olmes is still not deciphered. What they feel they have dechipered, there is still a great deal of conjecture as to its accuracy.
We, in our individual life-times, if we even survive to live to ninety years of age, really have so little time to learn, become aware of what has came before and what will transpire, come to pass in the future. Things are accelerating though. Even advancements in our own times, when we stoop to consider, are remarkable. For instance these computers that we use to communicate with are hardly fourty years in their established existence; especially in the advanced and perfected stages that we now have accessible. But, in say, twenty years, there will be even more remarkable advances to these machines and the likes, Such as Vell-phones, that haven't existed in their present state of perfection even twenty years. There will be remarkable advances and acheivements into the future that no one presently has the insight to discern. For instance, the intergration of these technological items into the human body. Wherein, virtually anyone that has the desire and the money will be able to have an "onboard computer" and tele-communications appartus intergrated into their body. THe idea is already with us and believe me, people are working on it happening. This is the least of such developments. Some are ultimately fantastic.
One thing is the cloning of humans and the hybridization and cloning of animals, insects and reptiles that are with us now. Who knows what will come of this? SOme good, some terrible and destructive. But leave it to humans; they will risk anything to know what is possible. Consider the Atomic and Hydrogen bombs - one that was detontated in the Pacific about twenty years ago, scientist at that time thought that "we had finally went and doner it' - destroyed ourselves, because of the force of this explosion and the energy released.
But who knows about this as well. Often, the fatal results of what we do is not immediately realized, but takes years to reveal the consequences. And like it or not, we are all included, "along for the ride". Like it or not.
Some day, ver far into the distant future, if humans do not commit some act that takes humanity back to primitive circumstances [which could have occurred before] humans may very well arrive at some primordial planet in our galaxy much like Earth was millions of years ago; basic raw materials of life, nothing advanced established. There, they will create in their image beings that they desire to be there. WIth these "creators" many of us will be with them in their DNA which we have passed on, even though we have been long gone thousands of years before.
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:51 pm

Let me throw this into the mixer.

God, giants, alien creators, evolution, etc.

In the end, does it really matter precisely how we got to be were we are at?

Would it make any difference if there was an agreed truth?

Would it effect any of our lives, on a day to day basis?

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:10 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:
Old Timer wrote:Again you have tap danced around the question. You have clearly stated that you believe that there is probably no God. You have made this statement, have you not? You yourself must have some idea as to why you believe that. You are always challenging others to prove what they say. so I am challenging you to show your proof for that assumption, what do you base that your belief on. Do you base it on fact or fiction

Based on the TOTAL lack of evidence.

How hard can this be to understand, it surely is the same logic that leads you to make up your mind about anything.

In a way it doesn't matter. However, as a part of "human-nature" we are curious beings; we want to know. It seemingly springs from a protective, survival mechanism. We will always want to know; some idea perhaps, of what lies out of our knowing, our sight. You, me, everyone is this way. This is the main reason for the "idea" concept of this "God" entity and the circumstances involving humans. We have no recollection of where or what we were before we arrived here and gained "life" which is consciousness; "Light". But once having done so, now we want to know that we will continue on, somehow. For many, the mere idea of falling into the absorbing darkness of the Abyss is very frightening. THerefore, there is a desire to ALWAYS cling to some circumstance of hope, evn though we have no idea of whether IT exist or really cares knows or cares about us. Especially that we are found worthy to continue on, somehow, to have Life in another realm, dimension.
This is generalizing on my part, in regard to the many. For myself, personally, I have no idea and continue to contemplate and derive ideas of possibilities. But, in the end, I entertain, very well, that I will "fall into the oblivion" from which I emerged. On the other hand: "there are NO accidents!". So, especially lacking of choice in the matter [is there? Perhaps there is... think this is possible as well] I will HAVE to be satisfied, like ALL to accept, come what may. Here there is TRUTH, for ALL...
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:52 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Let me throw this into the mixer.

If it were known to be true that there was definatly a heaven and a hell and you were to be judged on your life and the results were to send you to either, yes it would mke a difference. If that were the case and you didn't care then you were a fool. So using your own scenario there which wouldyou chose.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:15 pm

Old Timer wrote:
The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Let me throw this into the mixer.

If it were known to be true that there was definatly a heaven and a hell and you were to be judged on your life and the results were to send you to either, yes it would mke a difference. If that were the case and you didn't care then you were a fool. So using your own scenario there which wouldyou chose.

Does it though?

The religous are just as likely to make mistakes as the non religous.

And that is usually what many 'sins' are, right? Normal mistakes.

Anyway, my point was that perhaps we spend too much time looking back, looking forward, but not living for the here and now.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum