Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barack Obama:"America ...has shown arrogance, been dissmisive, even derisive, BUT..."

+7
Peregrine(Endangered)
JReed
Old Timer
PaulM
Grim17
CarolinaHound
HotParadox
11 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Barack Obama:"America ...has shown arrogance, been dissmisive, even derisive, BUT..." - Page 4 Empty Re: Barack Obama:"America ...has shown arrogance, been dissmisive, even derisive, BUT..."

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:15 pm

HotParadox wrote:the best poll is the one you hear with your own ears talking to friends, family, people in your area and people you know out of state. that may not be the pulse of america, but the formal polls may not be either. that appears to be the bottom line, though, doesn't it?

That's right.

Big Slick wrote:I work in Marketing Research and I do this all day.
Now that has me wondering if I've ever and how many times I've hung up on you. What a Face lol!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Barack Obama:"America ...has shown arrogance, been dissmisive, even derisive, BUT..." - Page 4 Empty Re: Barack Obama:"America ...has shown arrogance, been dissmisive, even derisive, BUT..."

Post by Kazza Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:01 pm

Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
Big Slick wrote:
Old Timer wrote:While I do understand what you are saying and agree with it. I have a question. Who selects those selected for the polls and how are they selected.

It depends on each individual study. This one said it used an RDD sample. Which means they used a computer program to randomly dial phone numbers nationwide. There is no rhyme or reason to the dialing and if someone picks up they start asking them questions. Each survey will have a screening section to see if you are qualified to take the survey. So, for example, if Summer's Eve wanted to get opinions on a new product or idea they would screen out certain people who would not help their study. They would screen out men (for obvious reasons) and they would more than likely screen out 55+ due to the menopausal stage.

Now for this study, since it was a general population opinion poll, I would guess they would only screen you out if you directly worked for one of the political parties. Everyone else would qualify and anyone who was willing to participate would be allowed to.

Thanks, I have always wondered about that. So there is no way possible for them to control or fix the results then?

That would depend on what they were screening for and what were the screening questions. So yea, it can be fixed right there.

So basically there is no way anyone would ever know if the polls are honest or not. So we then must have blind faith. That presents a problem for me.

They give you the detailed info online. In this case, as Big Slick mentioned, they aren't screening people. If they were screening then you would be able to read about all the details in the fine print in the PDF that they make available.
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Big Slick wrote:
Kazza wrote:The full details of the poll are available on the site, including the exact wording of every question that they asked and how many respondents answered in each category.

My internet is playing up, so I can't open the pdf, but I think there were about 1000 people in the poll. If Obama had, say, a 50% approval rating, instead of 66, then they would need to conduct the poll.... ok, I just ran the numbers and the silly thing doesn't have enough decimal places. Which means they would need to have run at least 100,000 trials before they got a set of 1000 where 66% like Obama. Which means asking 30% of the population of the country.

Of course, the whole thing could just be made up, but then so could Obama. Have any of you actually seen him with your own eyes?

And in any case, gallup polls are the most reliable, and they show the same thing.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/117370/Satisfaction-Ratings-Continue-Slow-Steady-Climb.aspx

That's not how polls work. I work in Marketing Research and I do this all day. Increasing the number of people you interview will not change the results of the poll. All it will do is decrease the margin of error. So if you interview 100 random people and 60% approve of BO then that means that could be as high as 70% or as low as 50% so there is a huge margin of error. Increasing the number to 1000 will mean that 60% will still say the same thing but now the range closes to 57%-63%.

I wasn't very clear in what I was stating there. I meant that the error margin in a sample of 1000 is so low that it would take hundreds of thousands of trials of 1000 people each before even 1 of them gave results as extreme as what was reported.
Kazza
Kazza

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:51 pm

So Obama is tying build bridges. So what?

Building bridges will benefit us.

Perhaps some of you were thinking Obama should of told Europe to go f**k themselves.

The fear mongering on this thread is deeply disturbing.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:09 pm

Theophilus wrote:So Obama is tying build bridges. So what?

Perhaps some of you were thinking Obama should of told Europe to go f**k themselves.

The only thing that concerns me is what will be coming back here over those bridges he is building. It does worry me when our president bows down to an arab, or anybody for that matter. Especially since he himself is still probably not only part arab by birth but mentally to.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:22 pm

he should build bridges, i just have a problem with the way he put us down in the process of doing that. i think it's possible to build bridges with other countries without slamming your own and, of course, not telling other countries to f**k themselves. that's all i'm saying theo. I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:28 pm

Old Timer wrote:

The only thing that concerns me is what will be coming back here over those bridges he is building. It does worry me when our president bows down to an arab, or anybody for that matter. Especially since he himself is still probably not only part arab by birth but mentally to.

How can you be part arab mentally?
Kazza
Kazza

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:11 am

Kazza wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

How can you be part arab mentally?

That is a good question.

As if one who is born would be filled with the beliefs of the parents, once born.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:38 am

Actually I don't think Obama is even part Arabian (which refers to the region someone or their ancestors are from, not their religion). I think he's half white and half black (caucasian American and Kenyan to be specific). He was however raised with a lot of Muslim (which is a religion) influence. And I think he holds a much stronger sentiment for that religion than he wants to be known publicly. Which is how I'm taking what OT is saying to mean, and I agree with him. I could convert to Muslim, but no matter how hard I tried, I could never completely remove the christian beliefs and morals that have influenced me so much over the years. especially in those early years of my life. It's programed into my psyche and can never be completely removed, covered up and denied,yes; but not removed. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:34 am

CarolinaHound wrote:Actually I don't think Obama is even part Arabian (which refers to the region someone or their ancestors are from, not their religion). I think he's half white and half black (caucasian American and Kenyan to be specific). He was however raised with a lot of Muslim (which is a religion) influence. And I think he holds a much stronger sentiment for that religion than he wants to be known publicly. Which is how I'm taking what OT is saying to mean, and I agree with him. I could convert to Muslim, but no matter how hard I tried, I could never completely remove the christian beliefs and morals that have influenced me so much over the years. especially in those early years of my life. It's programed into my psyche and can never be completely removed, covered up and denied,yes; but not removed. Very Happy

thank you as that is exactly what I meant. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:32 am

Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:Actually I don't think Obama is even part Arabian (which refers to the region someone or their ancestors are from, not their religion). I think he's half white and half black (caucasian American and Kenyan to be specific). He was however raised with a lot of Muslim (which is a religion) influence. And I think he holds a much stronger sentiment for that religion than he wants to be known publicly. Which is how I'm taking what OT is saying to mean, and I agree with him. I could convert to Muslim, but no matter how hard I tried, I could never completely remove the christian beliefs and morals that have influenced me so much over the years. especially in those early years of my life. It's programed into my psyche and can never be completely removed, covered up and denied,yes; but not removed. Very Happy

thank you as that is exactly what I meant. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
i understood you perfectly, ot. but doggieboy put it in black and white. i agree with you two stooges for once. bounce
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 am

I agree...it happens constantly on political threads and it gets old...it doesn't matter who is in office, everything is gloom and doom..
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:

I agree...it happens constantly on political threads and it gets old...it doesn't matter who is in office, everything is gloom and doom..

Yep, it sure is. And it gets worse each and every time doesn't it? And it will only get worse until the folks in this country get plumb fed up and start kicking politicians buts. Suspect

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4