Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clinton: No options off the table when it comes to Iran

5 posters

Go down

Clinton: No options off the table when it comes to Iran Empty Clinton: No options off the table when it comes to Iran

Post by luciano Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:31 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidateFeed1/idUSN13399752

WASHINGTON, Jan 13 (Reuters) - U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton said on Tuesday the Obama administration would take no options off the table when dealing with Iran but a policy review was under way over how to tackle Tehran's nuclear ambitions.

"We will pursue a new, perhaps different approach," Clinton told the Senate hearing needed to confirm her as the next secretary of state. "What we have tried has not worked."

Pressed about whether the review included opening up a diplomatic presence in Iran, which the Bush administration decided to do in principle but did not ultimately go ahead with, Clinton said this was part of the policy review.

"These are matters that are part of our policy review. We will turn to them with great diligence and attention," she said, without providing any timeline.

"No option is off the table," she told the Senate hearing.

The Bush administration, together with its allies, has pursued several rounds of U.N. sanctions against Iran in a bid to get it to give up sensitive nuclear work and Clinton indicated this approach would continue.

"We will do everything we can pursue through diplomacy, through the use of sanctions, through creating better coalitions with countries that we believe also have a big stake in preventing Iran from becoming a nuclear weapon power," said Clinton.

Pressed whether and when the United States would directly engage Iran, Clinton said Washington wanted to consult with its allies before making any decisions over how to proceed.

But, without giving details, she promised an attitude toward engagement with Iran "that might bear fruit."

"We have no illusions, Mr. Chairman, that even with a new administration looking to try to engage Iran in a way that might influence its behavior, that we can predict the results. But the president-elect is committed to that course and we will pursue it," she said. (Reporting by Sue Pleming, editing by David Alexander)
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2009-01-13

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Clinton: No options off the table when it comes to Iran Empty Re: Clinton: No options off the table when it comes to Iran

Post by Big Slick Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:45 pm

Looks like there is going to be major differences in the 2 administration.

"No options off the table" translated into 2 different messages by the different administrations

BUSH - "we are threatening you with war"
OBAMA - "we are willing to talk to you, even though we haven't talked in a long time"

Off to a good start imo
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Clinton: No options off the table when it comes to Iran Empty Re: Clinton: No options off the table when it comes to Iran

Post by luciano Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Big Slick wrote:Looks like there is going to be major differences in the 2 administration.

"No options off the table" translated into 2 different messages by the different administrations

BUSH - "we are threatening you with war"
OBAMA - "we are willing to talk to you, even though we haven't talked in a long time"

Off to a good start imo

Definitely agree with that. I think its a good approach, they are extending a hand but remaining firm at the same time. Not sure if it will work, but its a different approach, and worth a shot. The Iranians arent responding well to Bush's approach to dealing with them.

Im excited to watch the first days of our new government
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 517

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:51 pm

While I remain quite skeptical, I have learned in life that nothing good ever happens immediately in these type of situations. It takes time and effort on all sides to make it work. But there are times like this to remember those words of Mr. spock. " The needs of many far oughtweigh the needs of a few." I can only hope for the best.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:13 pm

Old Timer wrote:While I remain quite skeptical, I have learned in life that nothing good ever happens immediately in these type of situations. It takes time and effort on all sides to make it work. But there are times like this to remember those words of Mr. spock. " The needs of many far oughtweigh the needs of a few." I can only hope for the best.

Obama does kind of look like the Vulcan on Voyager. Laughing

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Imo, the latest buzzword, 'Hamas', is an organisation that actuallly fills the need of the most radical Israeli ideal.

We already know that there are many Jews all over the world, not only speaking out about this slaughter by Israel, but the very existance of Israel. According to orthodox Jews, it is clearly written in the Torah that the Jews were 'meant' to be scattered, living among other people. The very existance of Israel offends many Jews, as much as it does some Muslims.

For six decades, Israel have been stealing land and destroying people's homes.

Perhaps they got some of their ideas from those adopted by the Reich, as they do seem rather familiar in some ways...

Imo, and from all that I have seen, Israel intend to go on with this expansion, but more than that, I believe there are elements within the Government who effectively want to commit genocide on the people of Gaza. A strong statement? Yes. But there is evidence of this all around.

Of course, to carry this off effectively, even Israel would need a damn fine reason.

Enter Hamas.

The convenient stooge who fits what Israel need, just perfectly.

Hamas lobs some crude rockets into Israel. Israel respond with a campaign of bombing, killing primarily ordinary people, like you and I. A bit of a fiddle with the media, and what do you have? The perfect 'reason' to carry out mass killings. Ya see, without Hamas, Israel would be without their 'reason'.

Even Hitler had to cite 'reasons' as to why Jews were considered to be the genuine enemies of the Reich.

And people sucked that up, didn't they?

Cartoon Head

Number of posts : 1661

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:23 pm

Whoops.

Just made a bit of a twat of that.

Thought this was about Israel.

I blame Christie and Grimbo.

Wink

Cartoon Head

Number of posts : 1661

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down