Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl

+9
DM007
Big Slick
Night-Reaper
jigglepete
Old Timer
Theophilus
Grim17
CarolinaHound
luciano
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who will win?

Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl Vote_lcap25%Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]
Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl Vote_lcap75%Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl Vote_rcap 75% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 8

Poll closed

Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl Empty Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl

Post by luciano Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:19 am

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh's dominating defense beat the Baltimore Ravens 23-14 in the AFC championship on Sunday and put the Steelers back in the Super Bowl.

Santonio Holmes scored on an electrifying 65-yard catch-and-run in the first half, and hard-hitting safety Troy Polamalu returned an interception 40 yards for a clinching TD with 4:24 remaining for the Steelers (14-4).

Pittsburgh earned a matchup with the NFC champion Arizona Cardinals in two weeks in Tampa, where they will meet in the championship game.

Jeff Reed kicked three field goals for the Steelers, who will be seeking their sixth Super Bowl title.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20090118/AFC.Championship/
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2009-01-13

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl Empty Re: Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:53 am

Cardinals... Because I keep seeing them on the front porch. *shrug*

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim17 Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:21 am

The Steelers are a very good defensive team, but I just don't think they will be able to shut down Kurt Warner and the Arizona offense. The Cardinals have hit on all cylinders in their 3 playoff games, and should score 24 points or more. So in my opinion, it's going to come down to how well Pittsburgh's offense does against Arizona's defense.

I give Pittsburgh the "experience" advantage based on their number of post season appearances. I give Arizona the "coaching" advantage based on the fact that Ken Whisenhunt was the offensive coordinator on Pittsburgh's last championship team and knows their system well.

This leaves me with just one more aspect, which is "momentum". I think Arizona having won all 3 of their playoff games being the underdog in each, has them playing at a level that I just don't think Pittsburgh will be able to match.

So I'm picking the Arizona Cardinals to upset the Steelers, and win the 2009 Super Bowl.
Grim17
Grim17

Male
Sagittarius Dragon
Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:34 am

The Cardinals are coming in as the more healthy team as well.
If the the Steelers don't get a good pass rush going against Kurt Warner forget it about it.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:43 am

Well, I will have to pick the cardinals, why? Just like them I guess. Heck I would even be willing to live a little dangerously here and break my own rule about not gambling and bet a whole nickle on the cards. No more and no less, can't afford to lose to much ya know. lol!

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 am

Grim, I would like to respectfully say, you are out of your mind Very Happy

We all know if you breathe on Warner the wrong way, he puts the ball on the ground, he has only been successful in his career when an army of an offensive line is in front of him. The extra week off will bring the Cardinals back down to earth(that momentum you're talking about) and give the Steelers time to get healthy again. The Steelers will expose the Cardinals and expose what they really are, a 9-7 football team. Because that's what the Steelers do best, as long as Ben doesnt hand it away, the Steelers keep teams honest, they dont overachieve against them, and that's what the Cards have done the last 3 weeks, overachieved.

The key will be to get close to Warner and make him make bad decisions, because I dont think anyone can cover Fitzgerald downfield and he'll probably make a big play or two during the game. But I have confidence Dick LeBeau will cook up a scheme to get Harrison, Woodley, Smith, and Kiesel to Warner often.

Sorry Coach Wiz, the Steelers are gonna show why the Rooney family chose Tomlin over Wiz and coach Russ Grimm 2 years ago.

Steelers win 34-20 and a defensive player wins the Super Bowl MVP Very Happy

P.S. We're ready for those Whisenhunt trick plays. The play that made it 14-3 yesterday, we ran the exact same play against the Bengals during the playoffs in 2005 on the way to the Super Bowl. I love Coach Wiz and Coach Grimm but Feb. 1st will not be their day. Evil or Very Mad
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim17 Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:44 pm

luciano wrote:We all know if you breathe on Warner the wrong way, he puts the ball on the ground, he has only been successful in his career when an army of an offensive line is in front of him.

I realize that Warner has a history of fumbling or throwing stupid passes when he's pressured heavy, but with very few exceptions, that just hasn't been the case this year. He has amazed coaches and critics alike by taking good care of the football. The Eagles defense is a very good one, and when they made those defensive adjustments yesterday in the second half and applied the pressure to Warner, they almost stole the game. But much to my surprise, Arizona managed to overcome it in the 4th quarter, and even with the Eagles blitzing, Warner found a way to find the open guys. The Cardinals have earned my respect during these playoffs, for the first time ever... And I have been behind them from day 1 since they moved to Arizona.

The extra week off will bring the Cardinals back down to earth(that momentum you're talking about) and give the Steelers time to get healthy again.

Believe me, the two weeks off scares the hell out of me. You may be right on both accounts, but I have to believe in my team.

The Steelers will expose the Cardinals and expose what they really are, a 9-7 football team. Because that's what the Steelers do best, as long as Ben doesnt hand it away, the Steelers keep teams honest, they dont overachieve against them, and that's what the Cards have done the last 3 weeks, overachieved.

Until they won yesterdays game, that's all I have seen them as... A 9-7 football team. I've been waiting for them to start playing like the mediocre teamed I believed them to be all year, but that sub standard team just hasn't shown up. They WON all three of their playoff games... They weren't flukes, or games they got lucky and won. They earned every one of them, which is why they have finally won my respect. I really believe that the Cardinals haven't overachieved in the playoffs, but under achieved during the regular season.

The key will be to get close to Warner and make him make bad decisions, because I dont think anyone can cover Fitzgerald downfield and he'll probably make a big play or two during the game. But I have confidence Dick LeBeau will cook up a scheme to get Harrison, Woodley, Smith, and Kiesel to Warner often.

I couldn't agree with you more. If the Steelers can put pressure on Warner like the Eagles did most of the second half yesterday, they will win the game even if Warner doesn't make any major mistakes. The other key for the Steelers is to shut down the Cardinals running game, which hasn't been that hard to do all season.

Steelers win 34-20 and a defensive player wins the Super Bowl MVP Very Happy

If the Steelers keep the pressure on Warner, and the Cardinals can't find the answer, they will be lucky to score 20. The thing is though, I believe they can overcome it. As for the Steelers scoring 34, I just don't see that happening. Arizona's defense has really stepped up in the playoffs.

Arizona wins 24-20 and an offensive player gets the MVP. Smile

P.S. We're ready for those Whisenhunt trick plays. The play that made it 14-3 yesterday, we ran the exact same play against the Bengals during the playoffs in 2005 on the way to the Super Bowl.

I know... I saw that on Sports Center, but that is the first time they have used it all year. Trick plays haven't played much of a part in Arizona's success this year.
Grim17
Grim17

Male
Sagittarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by jigglepete Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:15 pm

This particular match up is basically a win/win for me.

I love the Steelers and always have...But I have been so impressed with the Cards, well, I think they might just be able to pull this off...

Either way, I will be happy, so may the best team win!!

Last edited by jigglepete on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

jigglepete

Male
Gemini Snake
Number of posts : 162
Job/hobbies : Gardening/GARdening
Humor : Some think yes...

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:19 pm

Grim, what happens after the first quarter and they realize they can't run the ball? I think that's why the Cardinals offense has been so potent the last few weeks, they had a running game. No one has run the ball on the Steelers since I was born 29 years ago, I doubt it will happen Feb. 1st. Thats when the linebackers pin back their ears and come after Warner, and I believe the Steelers will score a lot of points because they will be forcing turnovers on the Arizona side of the football field after they abandon the run. They will score 30+ because of the Arizona offense and Steeler D, not the other way around.

I do think Fitzgerald will make a couple big plays though, probably early. I also wouldnt be surprised if Matt Leinart ended up having to finish the football game.

Stevie Breaston(Woodland Hills H.S. Grad) scares the hell out of me on punt returns though.

If Turnoverberger keeps his act together for one more game, I really dont think they can compete with the Steelers.

We'll see and if the Cards win, honestly it wouldnt be the worst team to lose to, Im a big fan of the Cardinals coaches, Fitzgerald(Pitt alum), Sean Morey(ex-Steeler), and Stevie Breaston.

Gonna be a lot of talk about the Pittsburgh connections in the next couple weeks.
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim17 Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Steelers are going to be favored for sure, and with good reason... But I just think things are clicking for Arizona, and they will find a way to win this one.

We'll see...
Grim17
Grim17

Male
Sagittarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:41 pm

Indeed, Steelers are 6.5 point favorites right now.

If the Cardinals do win, I think it might be because of special teams. Our punter is absolutely dreadful and the Cardinals can get in there and block punts(Cowboy game) and they also can run them back with Breaston.
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:14 pm

luciano wrote:Indeed, Steelers are 6.5 point favorites right now.

If the Cardinals do win, I think it might be because of special teams. Our punter is absolutely dreadful and the Cardinals can get in there and block punts(Cowboy game) and they also can run them back with Breaston.

Don't be knockin the Cowboys. tongue Laughing hehehehe

Next year... COWBOYS!!!!.... yea.... right. Crying or Very sad

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Not knocking them, thats how they lost to the Cardinals, the guy blocked a punt in overtime.

It may sound blasphemous but Im a fan of Romo. Very Happy
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:59 pm

luciano wrote:Not knocking them, thats how they lost to the Cardinals, the guy blocked a punt in overtime.

It may sound blasphemous but Im a fan of Romo. Very Happy

Nothing wrong with liking a player no Matter what team he's on. Wink

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:26 pm

luciano wrote:Indeed, Steelers are 6.5 point favorites right now.

I say a win is a win is a win. It don't matter who, how or why or by how many or few points.
Bottom line is who walks away champ and who walks away chump. And seeing as I am originally from the same place as the cardinals ( St. Louis, Missouri ) just gotta say. Go Cards

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 am

Im gonna have to pay my neighbors to join up and vote to get this poll closer affraid
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Night-Reaper Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:47 pm

Even though the Cardinals have really improved, I still believe that the Steelers pose too strong of a team for Arizona. The Steelers are the next Super Bowl Champs.
Night-Reaper
Night-Reaper

Male
Number of posts : 832
Humor : being a wise cracker
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:46 pm

I think the Cardinals are the sexy pick but the Steelers ain't no bitches either. It's really impossible to pick. Sure the Cards underachieved in the regular season but they were never tested either. I think they had their division wrapped up by what, week 6? Very Happy If their offense plays like we all know they can, they'll blow out the Steelers. Pittsburgh isn't really an explosive team so if they get down 20 or so points, which can happen in a hurry with Arizona, they'll be done.

But if Pittsburgh unleashes that D and they start getting to Warner the Cards are in trouble. It's really hard, it really depends how Arizona's Offense plays against Pitts Defense. Pitts O vs Arizona's D is a push.

I'll be happy either way. If Arizona wins, I'll be happy to see that lonely team finally win one. But if Pittsburgh wins, then maybe all the homers down here will quit talking about how noone has more Super Bowls that the Cowgirls.
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Big Slick wrote:I think the Cardinals are the sexy pick but the Steelers ain't no bitches either. It's really impossible to pick. Sure the Cards underachieved in the regular season but they were never tested either. I think they had their division wrapped up by what, week 6? Very Happy If their offense plays like we all know they can, they'll blow out the Steelers. Pittsburgh isn't really an explosive team so if they get down 20 or so points, which can happen in a hurry with Arizona, they'll be done.

But if Pittsburgh unleashes that D and they start getting to Warner the Cards are in trouble. It's really hard, it really depends how Arizona's Offense plays against Pitts Defense. Pitts O vs Arizona's D is a push.

I'll be happy either way. If Arizona wins, I'll be happy to see that lonely team finally win one. But if Pittsburgh wins, then maybe all the homers down here will quit talking about how noone has more Super Bowls that the Cowgirls.

That COWBOYS comment was un called fer. Stop knockin the COWBOYS! hehehehehe
Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl Smiley-face4

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:51 pm

The Steelers cant catch the Cowboys in SB appearances this year, they have 8 of them(5-3), this is our 7th(5-1) . Putting us in 2nd all alone, we were tied with a couple other teams(Denver(2-4), New England(3-3), and maybe another with 6)

But when it comes to wins, the Steelers, Cowboys, and 49ers(5-0) all have 5. In 10 days, the Steelers will be all alone at the top again with 6! Very Happy
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:36 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
Big Slick wrote:I think the Cardinals are the sexy pick but the Steelers ain't no bitches either. It's really impossible to pick. Sure the Cards underachieved in the regular season but they were never tested either. I think they had their division wrapped up by what, week 6? Very Happy If their offense plays like we all know they can, they'll blow out the Steelers. Pittsburgh isn't really an explosive team so if they get down 20 or so points, which can happen in a hurry with Arizona, they'll be done.

That COWBOYS comment was un called fer. Stop knockin the COWBOYS! hehehehehe
Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl Smiley-face4

I am a 49er's fan. So you know how I feel about the cowboys. All those NFC battles. A lot which the cowboys won. So I hope the 49er's can once again regain their form. Nothing better than to see the look on Jerry's face after losing a hard fought game.
hehe.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm

I see Hines Ward is going to play. A healthy Hines Ward could spell trouble for the Cardinals. This should make the Steelers play action pass much better. Though I saw in their last game they were using an empty back field a lot. If you have a good running game why in the world would you use an empty back field on first, and second down? If the Steelers pull that kind of nonsense in the super bowl they will lose the game.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Yeah man, I aint a fan of that either, the empty backfield on obvious running downs. Arians got a strange offense. The Pittsburgh Steelers gotta have a RB back there, just to keep up appearance, we're known for defense and running the ball down people's throats. They been getting away from the running game the last few years more and more. I think its because they know Parker cant handle the beating you take game in game out. Im excited to see Rashard Mendenhall next year(Ray Lewis busted his shoulder in like Week 4).
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:43 pm

luciano wrote:Yeah man, I aint a fan of that either, the empty backfield on obvious running downs. Arians got a strange offense. The Pittsburgh Steelers gotta have a RB back there, just to keep up appearance, we're known for defense and running the ball down people's throats. They been getting away from the running game the last few years more and more. I think its because they know Parker cant handle the beating you take game in game out. Im excited to see Rashard Mendenhall next year(Ray Lewis busted his shoulder in like Week 4).

There is nothing so defeating to a defense than running the ball down their defense. I believe in the running game. I feel that is what can win you football games. Nothing is more demoralizing to a defense than being pushed back. The fight in the trenches is what I like.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 pm

You should of been born in Pittsburgh then Howdy, thats all I know. But, you do point out something that has been troubling people in Pittsburgh especially this season. The empty sets on 1st down is just nuts, its 1st down, why tell everyone on the planet you plan to pass the ball? Suspect

They did it a lot in the regular season, especially the weeks Parker didnt play. My best friend that watches the game with me always start snapping when he sees it, so I thought it was pretty wild you pointed it out.

Mendenhall is a big boy and young, he can handle the beating I think, hope to see them getting back to power running in the future. I hope they keep Willie too though.
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:58 pm

And I got a shiny new nickle that says arizona is gonna win.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:28 pm

Old Timer wrote:And I got a shiny new nickle that says arizona is gonna win.

What no takers Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Old Timer wrote:
Old Timer wrote:And I got a shiny new nickle that says arizona is gonna win.

What no takers Very Happy

Only a nickel? I'll bite. Cinderella has left the building.....Should be a good game, though.

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:23 pm

I never bet more than a nickle, that way nobody either gets hurt money wise or friend wise. Besides, who can't affod a nickle??

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:41 pm

Old Timer wrote:I never bet more than a nickle, that way nobody either gets hurt money wise or friend wise. Besides, who can't affod a nickle??

You're right, of course.
I'm not a gambler. Not that I don't enjoy it. I'm just no good at it. I can swing a nickel, though.

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:49 pm

Old Timer wrote:I never bet more than a nickle, that way nobody either gets hurt money wise or friend wise. Besides, who can't affod a nickle??

ME!! HEHE
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:25 pm

Peregrine wrote:

ME!! HEHE

Not to worry, I got ya covered. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:16 am

Cardinals 43 Steelers 13

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by catch-22 Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:36 am

Cardinals by plenty!

catch-22

Male
Number of posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankg Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:58 pm

I'm a Giants fan and think the Cards are going to win because of their last two victories over the Panthers and the Eagles.

I didn't know this but the Cardinals are the oldest franchise in the NFL . I think they deserve it.

My all time favorite Steeler
Steelers-Cardinals in Super Bowl Jack-lambert--©photofile
Frankg
Frankg

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:36 pm

What an amazing game. Cograts to the Steelers.

Though let me say the Cardinals had it. They should of blitzed the Steelers on that last game winning drive of the Steelers.

Still what a great game.

Oh-well only 47 years to go until the Cardinals get back to the Super Bowl.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 pm

Yep, great game. Even if the Steelers did luck into them last points. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:42 am

Great game. The Cardinals deserve all the credit in the world, they got a helluva ballteam, I didnt think much of them before tonights game, they surprised/scared the hell out of me.

When Fitzgerald took off on the last touchdown they scored, I think I had a panic attack.
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:15 am

luciano wrote:Great game. The Cardinals deserve all the credit in the world, they got a helluva ballteam, I didnt think much of them before tonights game, they surprised/scared the hell out of me.

When Fitzgerald took off on the last touchdown they scored, I think I had a panic attack.
Everything you just said sums up what all the guys at my SB Party said too, lol. Congratulations, L. PA made Super Bowl history and I'm happy for you and your family. cheers
xov
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by catch-22 Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:33 am

Yep good game! Congrats to The Steelers' and the fans.

Football was the big winner, here!

catch-22

Male
Number of posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next