Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious Rape - One minute from my home

4 posters

Go down

Serious Rape - One minute from my home Empty Serious Rape - One minute from my home

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:59 pm

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/77279-woman-in-edinburgh-city-centre-rape-ordeal/

Tonight, the g/f and I decided to go to Pizza Hut.

We were taking the short cut, as described in the link above, when I noticed that the entire area had been sectioned off by police.

A crime scene.

Naturally, I asked one of the cops what the deal was. What he told me was pretty consistant with what is in the story.

This is rather disturbing, to say the least, esp since my g/f was in the habit of using that route alone (no fecking more, I can tell you).

However, what makes this especially incredible, is that they essentially grabbed her in a busy area, at three in the afternoon, and held her in a makeshift den for SEVEN HOURS.

It really hits home when it is on your own doorstep.

Bastards.

No

Cartoon Head

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Serious Rape - One minute from my home Empty Re: Serious Rape - One minute from my home

Post by Old Timer Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:06 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:http://news.stv.tv/scotland/77279-woman-in-edinburgh-city-centre-rape-ordeal/

We were taking the short cut, as described in the link above, when I noticed that the entire area had been sectioned off by police.

A crime scene.

Naturally, I asked one of the cops what the deal was. What he told me was pretty consistant with what is in the story.

This is rather disturbing, to say the least, esp since my g/f was in the habit of using that route alone (no fecking more, I can tell you).

However, what makes this especially incredible, is that they essentially grabbed her in a busy area, at three in the afternoon, and held her in a makeshift den for SEVEN HOURS.

Bastards.

No

Please tell your g/f to be extra careful because of both copy cat crimes in the same area and those that do a crime like that will often return to the same area and try again. If possible I would not let her walk alone.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Serious Rape - One minute from my home Empty Re: Serious Rape - One minute from my home

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Yea bud it does hit home when it's that close. There was a lady raped at the apartments across the street from where lived with an ex a few years ago. They did it right beside the driveway and no one heard a thing. I wouldn't let my ex go to the mailbox on her own after that for the longest while. Take care of the gf man and keep her safe.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:17 pm

Old Timer wrote:
The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:http://news.stv.tv/scotland/77279-woman-in-edinburgh-city-centre-rape-ordeal/

A crime scene.

Bastards.

No

Please tell your g/f to be extra careful because of both copy cat crimes in the same area and those that do a crime like that will often return to the same area and try again. If possible I would not let her walk alone.

I will OT, rest assured. What you say is spot on here. I walk that area myself all the time, and I only wish, with all of my heart, that I had done so yesterday. Dunno what I could have done against two, but I would have given it my v best shot.

She works in a store, only mins from this area. Sometimes alone. I am not comfortable with that either, and that was before this happened. I feel I should get her something to protect herself, like a Pepper Spray, but possesion of such a thing is classed as a firearm here, and can lead to a sentence of up to five years.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:37 pm

So how do they expect a woman to defend themselves?

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:39 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:So how do they expect a woman to defend themselves?

Self defence classes, or you are permitted to use hairspray...

Rolling Eyes

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:49 pm

That's just wrong. I can half understand no guns, but they should be able to at least carry pepper spray. What they teach you in those self defence classes won't do much but piss the assailant off unless a lady really gets into martial arts or some other form of fighting especially when they are attacked by someone twice their size. If she works in a store, maybe she can carry a box cutter in her pocket and say it's for opening boxes at work.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Yep, either one would get them rattled a bit to give her a chance to get away. That brick looks like it might give her a moment or two, or even settle the matter for everybody if she hit the right area.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:21 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Yep, either one would get them rattled a bit to give her a chance to get away. That brick looks like it might give her a moment or two, or even settle the matter for everybody if she hit the right area.

Right.

I have just bought the second one, and I am going to make the other tommorow.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 pm

What about a stun gun. they are legal and I have one in the house. A 300,000 volt one only cost me about 40 dollars s&h included they are non lethal and will really knock ya down if touched.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Old Timer wrote:What about a stun gun. they are legal and I have one in the house. A 300,000 volt one only cost me about 40 dollars s&h included they are non lethal and will really knock ya down if touched.

Sadly, these are also illegal. 2-5 yrs in prison, if you have one on you.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 am

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:
Old Timer wrote:What about a stun gun. they are legal and I have one in the house. A 300,000 volt one only cost me about 40 dollars s&h included they are non lethal and will really knock ya down if touched.

Sadly, these are also illegal. 2-5 yrs in prison, if you have one on you.
Steve, just to pass this on to you because I'm a little worried for your GF: At a class, I learned that a very loud whistle is a good deterrent. Women should have one on a long chain around their necks or on their keychains, 24/7 is what I learned. I've had to use mine and bingo, it did what it was supposed to do.
After she blows it and the perp runs like hell, the woman should run even faster and in the opposite direction.

Mine is a called a Military Whistle. I didn't buy mine online but it looks like the long chrome one on this page ("Scout Guide Whistle"):
http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/cat/119

These appear to be good ones here and cheap:
http://www.laserengravedkeychains.com/personal-security-whistles.htm
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks for that, Valerie.

Breaking news.

Police have arrested and charged two men.

cheers

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Cartoon Head wrote:Thanks for that, Valerie.

Breaking news.

cheers

fan-dam-tastic but there is still the need to be careful and watchful.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:18 pm

Cartoon Head wrote:Thanks for that, Valerie.

Breaking news.

cheers
Thank God. But still, she has to be very careful. There are more nuts out than in. Crying or Very sad
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:04 pm

I am going to start going into the shop she works in on Thu's, when she is on her own. I'll keep you up to speed re the rapist scum.

CH

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Cartoon Head wrote:I am going to start going into the shop she works in on Thu's, when she is on her own. I'll keep you up to speed re the rapist scum.

CH
It must be a small, private shop. Most companies and stores won't allow only one person to be on alone. You're doing the right thing. I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:26 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Cartoon Head wrote:I am going to start going into the shop she works in on Thu's, when she is on her own. I'll keep you up to speed re the rapist scum.

CH
It must be a small, private shop. Most companies and stores won't allow only one person to be on alone. You're doing the right thing. I love you

She's a paid member of staff for the Salvation Army charity shop.

I don't think it's legal.

But rather than the hassle, I will just go in on Thu's, and that will be that.

x

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Good for you, While you and I may disagree from time to time I do consider you a gentleman for this. She has a right to be protected.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Old Timer wrote:Good for you, While you and I may disagree from time to time I do consider you a gentleman for this. She has a right to be protected.

Thanks.

Well, it would be dull old war, if everyone agreed on every single issue all of the time, so it's all good with me.

*thumbs up*

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down