Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growing your own.......Food that is.

+7
Terry05_99
CarolinaHound
Old Timer
bruce
Keute
Peregrine(Endangered)
Theophilus
11 posters

Go down

Growing your own.......Food that is. Empty Growing your own.......Food that is.

Post by Theophilus Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Here is in interesting vid. This person grows his own food. He has a house in Southern California, with a small lot. Yet he is able to yield a lot of food from a small amount of land.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Growing your own.......Food that is. Empty Re: Growing your own.......Food that is.

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:45 pm

href="https://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/marlyone16/?action=view¤t=SUMMER015.jpg" target="_blank">Christmas 2008 This is just one plot...we have a total of 6 in the backyard.

Thanks for the video...I'm a gardener...we're limited here in the north but we grow good in the summer months..We are planning our garden for this year...going to get the seeds going this coming weekend. I was raised on a farm and my grandparents grew every imaginable vegetable and fruit out there...She canned everything and we always had abundant food to eat. Nothing more beautiful than a garden...we grow organic so its safe..I don't think we should be messing with our food supply using genetics...scares me too much.

I remember the Hippy days...home gardens really took of in that period of time.
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Growing your own.......Food that is. Empty Re: Growing your own.......Food that is.

Post by Theophilus Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Even though I don't grow food now. I am thinking it may not be a bad idea to start buying seeds of different varieties of fruits, and vegetables.

I don't want any seeds from plants that were genetically modified.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:11 pm

That is a nice photo. Just a small amount of land can do so much. I really think it is time more of us grow our own food. We need to be more self reliant. I know once I get out of trucking, this will be one thing I will be doing. I think gardening would help relieve stress. Also having good healthy food to eat, would lead to a better quality of life. I can't wait to get out of trucking.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:12 pm

Theophilus wrote:Even though I don't grow food now. I am thinking it may not be a bad idea to start buying seeds of different varieties of fruits, and vegetables.

I don't want any seeds from plants that were genetically modified.

Give it a try...just start with one tomato plant...I bet you get hooked and you will be posting pictures of your home grown garden.hehehe...really it can be fun but it is also work.
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Keute Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:19 pm

I see they don't show them executing the chickens for their protein. :O I would die if I had to live on poultry and fruits/vegetables. I live with a family that hunts moose for sustenance... we used to depend on it a lot more, though.

The idea is awesome though. Yea, here in Alaska there's really only a few months where you can grow.
Keute
Keute

Female
Libra Snake
Number of posts : 38
Job/hobbies : Delicatessen
Humor : Yes, please.
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Nice garden Peregrine! I, too, am really happy when messing with dirt. I am harvesting peas, beets, garlic and onions, and swiss chard now. The potaoes just went in. Next are the tomatoes and peppers - all kinds. I don't bother with squash as the farmers markets have them cheap and they take up too much space. A Year round dirt fest around these parts!

bruce

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:05 pm

bruce wrote:Nice garden Peregrine! I, too, am really happy when messing with dirt. I am harvesting peas, beets, garlic and onions, and swiss chard now. The potaoes just went in. Next are the tomatoes and peppers - all kinds. I don't bother with squash as the farmers markets have them cheap and they take up too much space. A Year round dirt fest around these parts!

You must be in a warmer climate...I can get seeds started indoors but really can't plant the garden to the last chance of frost goes by...in April....The last couple years it has been last week in april and first 3 weeks in may. The squash do take up alot of room....we plant then in a little plot by themselves. Well happy gardening...I'm just itching to get started.
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:15 pm

What size of pot would you recommend for a single tomatoe plant

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:20 pm

Old Timer wrote:What size of pot would you recommend for a single tomatoe plant

A fairly big one because you usually end up staking the tomato plant so it needs to be deep....also depends on the variety your growing..if you like grape tomatoes or any other small tomato the pot can be smaller. Good dirt and regular fertizler...you can start it indoors from seed or buy a plant and keep it on a sunny window sile until ready to go outdoors.
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:

A fairly big one because you usually end up staking the tomato plant so it needs to be deep....also depends on the variety your growing..if you like grape tomatoes or any other small tomato the pot can be smaller. Good dirt and regular fertizler...you can start it indoors from seed or buy a plant and keep it on a sunny window sile until ready to go outdoors.

Thanks I might give it a try.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Old Timer wrote:

You should....its a great stress reliever! Very Happy
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:54 pm

Old Timer wrote:

You should....its a great stress reliever! Very Happy

I like those big beefsteak tomatoes. sliced and breaded and fried along with some big mushrooms cooked the same. cheers

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:24 pm

For just a basic tomato plant drill a couple holes in a 5 gal bucket for drainage.

grow tomatoes in a bucket click here for info

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Keute wrote:I see they don't show them executing the chickens for their protein. :O I would die if I had to live on poultry and fruits/vegetables. I live with a family that hunts moose for sustenance... we used to depend on it a lot more, though.

The idea is awesome though. Yea, here in Alaska there's really only a few months where you can grow.

I have a response to this in the off topic discussion thread.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Keute wrote:I see they don't show them executing the chickens for their protein. :O I would die if I had to live on poultry and fruits/vegetables. I live with a family that hunts moose for sustenance... we used to depend on it a lot more, though.

I'd be in the same situation if you took away my deer. Not much moose hunting down here.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry05_99 Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:11 am

Oh just saw this ad, I agree more should do this. I plant 600 tomato plants each season as well as other things (love the hungarian peppers) then we sell most of them, but I eat fresh veggies and then can the rest. I over did the peppers, I have 50 quart jars left.
Its good for the soul...

Terry05_99

Male
Taurus Monkey
Number of posts : 177
Job/hobbies : Harley Davidsons, flying, hunting
Humor : Thats not funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry05_99 Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:12 am

CarolinaHound wrote:

I'd be in the same situation if you took away my deer. Not much moose hunting down here.

Now your talking...I just made some fresh jerky....awesome this year

Terry05_99

Male
Taurus Monkey
Number of posts : 177
Job/hobbies : Harley Davidsons, flying, hunting
Humor : Thats not funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Good thread Theo. I think more people should grow more of their own produce. Much of the produce we purchase in the stores is picked when it's still green for the purpose of longevity, and therefore, not as beneficial as vine/tree ripened produce.
Americanadian
Americanadian

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by jigglepete Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:03 pm

How in the heck did I miss this thread?

As some of you may be aware, I work in a Hydroponics/Organic gardening shop, I will post a link to our site if that is OK...If not feel free to remove it. Anyway, we cater to northern growers with short growing seasons (but of course it is summer year round if you do indoor and outdoor cultivation) It amazes me how many young couples, and new families are looking to get set up these days, it seems like people are becomeing more aware of future needs, and how they can be met...Many in the industry are now working on equiptment for gardens "off the grid" (generators/solar, and other technologies). It is an exciting time (especially because it seems to be a somewhat recession proof job). For those looking for a proffessional fertilizer look into the Cornucopia Plus brand (GROW MONSTER PLANTS!). It is our own line, and we are on the cusp of making a national push!! The fertilizers are 85+ % organic, but the inorganics are laboratory/resteraunt quality, and are completely used up by the plants, so there is no environmerntal impact!! Plus is has organic nutrition built into it which are the componants in the soil that "big farm" has so effectively removed from our soil since the turn of the century (two ago).

Sorry about the little advertisement, but hey, look at as grass roots (pun intended) adverts...

Link:
www.gtghydroponics.com

www.cornucopia.com

Happy gardening!! In fact, each and every one of you on this board, have an open invitation to visit us up here in Underhill Vermont...I might even be able to scare up a free sample of a couple of the Cornucopia plant food products Very Happy

jigglepete

Male
Gemini Snake
Number of posts : 162
Job/hobbies : Gardening/GARdening
Humor : Some think yes...

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:17 pm

I've tried to plant a few small gardens but the damn squirrels get in there and eat everything. How do you keep them out of your garden? My only solution now is a pellet gun, which works well but I can't be out there all the time and the carcasses stack up pretty quick.
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Post by jigglepete Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Big Slick wrote:I've tried to plant a few small gardens but the damn squirrels get in there and eat everything. How do you keep them out of your garden? My only solution now is a pellet gun, which works well but I can't be out there all the time and the carcasses stack up pretty quick.

Try using dog hair (the wolf mixes, and hunting/hound type dogs seem to work best) sprickled around the outskirts and up and down the rows (It tends to send up little alarm bells in their deepest subcontious). Then, take the bodies of the ones you already popped, and use them for compost Very Happy

I also have seen advertised scarecrows with motion sensors that spray water at any movement they detect...

jigglepete

Male
Gemini Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:32 pm

Terry05_99 wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Now your talking...I just made some fresh jerky....awesome this year

That sounds good. My favorite is deer stew.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:36 pm

jigglepete wrote:
Big Slick wrote:I've tried to plant a few small gardens but the damn squirrels get in there and eat everything. How do you keep them out of your garden? My only solution now is a pellet gun, which works well but I can't be out there all the time and the carcasses stack up pretty quick.

Try using dog hair (the wolf mixes, and hunting/hound type dogs seem to work best) sprickled around the outskirts and up and down the rows (It tends to send up little alarm bells in their deepest subcontious). Then, take the bodies of the ones you already popped, and use them for compost Very Happy

I also have seen advertised scarecrows with motion sensors that spray water at any movement they detect...

I take a cheese grater and walk around the edge of the garden running a bar of irish spring soap over it, letting the shavings drop on the ground. Keeps the deer out pretty well, not sure how it would work on sguirrels. I think the little nut grabbers have figured out I get stew on my mind when I see them running around. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by jigglepete Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:33 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
jigglepete wrote:

I take a cheese grater and walk around the edge of the garden running a bar of irish spring soap over it, letting the shavings drop on the ground. Keeps the deer out pretty well, not sure how it would work on sguirrels. I think the little nut grabbers have figured out I get stew on my mind when I see them running around. Very Happy

Psychological warefare...I like it Very Happy

jigglepete

Male
Gemini Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:04 pm

We tried gardening once, got a few tomatoes and some greenbeans but not much else. We do have a black thumb when it comes to other plants and flowers. Once we bought a cactus. the poor thing cried all of the way home and died a week later. Flowers see us coming and try to pull up their roots and run away. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:43 pm

Get you a few cats. They will quickly prove a good squirrel deterent.
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 pm

I thought some may be interested in how to make your own seed starter pots from newspaper. I went to buy those trays with the handy peat pots and the greenhouse lid the other day and those thing have gone up to $6 a tray! They've lost their mfin' mind or think I have. They were like $3 last year.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Or, if ya wanna get all fancy and oragamie wid it....

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:45 am

CarolinaHound wrote:Or, if ya wanna get all fancy and oragamie wid it....

I can just imagine trying that to do the cups on this video...Hate to think what I would end up with....Nah!!! I can get the peat pots at the dollar store for 5/$1.00...
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 am

I've tilling my garden this weekend. Getting ready to put my plants out and plant some corn and bean and etc... etc...
So in honor of all those tilling this time of year...

Plow-Boy Baby!!!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 am

We have had a lot of rain the last two weeks...we finally got the garden plowed and ready...all the seedlings are doing well...weather for this Wed. looks good so we plan to get them in the ground. All our herbs are growing well and I planted some new ones...I love herbs for cooking...especially dill and Rosemary...yum!!!
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue May 12, 2009 2:29 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:We have had a lot of rain the last two weeks...we finally got the garden plowed and ready...all the seedlings are doing well...weather for this Wed. looks good so we plan to get them in the ground. All our herbs are growing well and I planted some new ones...I love herbs for cooking...especially dill and Rosemary...yum!!!

That is one of the things I miss having, a garden. Now health problems won't allow me to do it. Sad

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:40 am

Ohhhhh yeaaaahhhhh.

Growing your own.......Food that is. Corn

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:52 am

CarolinaHound wrote:Ohhhhh yeaaaahhhhh.

Growing your own.......Food that is. Corn

Ahhh, the fruit o your labor. How sweet it is. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down