Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Translate from English into English.

+2
CarolinaHound
BiR
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Translate from English into English. Empty Translate from English into English.

Post by BiR Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:36 pm

Well, I know you have good thread "The proper grammar thread" here. This stuff is very interesting for me, especially if I learn English. I know my knowledges is not perfect, of course, but I have another stuff for it. I do English subtitles for one of the Russian films and I'd like to do one (or maybe more) riddle for you. This is a phrase from one of the favorite American writers (at least at Russia) but it is in specific or an old English. I need to translate it into the normal English without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing. Translate from English into English. Rolleyes Are you ready? Let's go! Translate from English into English. Cool

Lookee hyur, stranger! Ole Zeb Stump from the State o' Kentucky, air the individooal who's now speakin' to ye. He ain't one o' thet sort ter be trifled wi'. Don't try to kum none o' yer demofoolery over this hyur. I warn ну to decluк yur game. If ye're playin possum, ye'd better throw up yur hand; or by the junpin' Geehosophat, ye may lose both yur stake an' yur curds! Speak out now, afore ну gits plugged we' a piece o' lead!

I've just got some things:
ye = you
yur = your
o' = of (?)
thet = that
n' = ing
afore = before (?)

Well? Translate from English into English. Playboy
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon
Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Layout Designer/English and Russian subtitles
Humor : Да/Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-17

http://stagevu.com/user/birubir

Back to top Go down

Translate from English into English. Empty Re: Translate from English into English.

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:18 pm

Lookee hyur, stranger! Ole Zeb Stump from the State o' Kentucky, air the individooal who's now speakin' to ye. He ain't one o' thet sort ter be trifled wi'. Don't try to kum none o' yer demofoolery over this hyur. I warn ну to decluк yur game. If ye're playin possum, ye'd better throw up yur hand; or by the junpin' Geehosophat, ye may lose both yur stake an' yur curds! Speak out now, afore ну gits plugged we' a piece o' lead!

What you have there BiR is a bad attempt at using southern slang in a cowboy sort of way, some call it country talk, or cowboy talk, even hillbilly talk, it's not really proper english. And not a good representation of how southerners, or country people speak. But I'll do my best for you.

Lookee hyur, stranger! Ole Zeb Stump from the State o' Kentucky, air the individooal who's now speakin' to ye. He ain't one o' thet sort ter be trifled wi'.
"Look here stranger! Ole Zeb Stump from the state of Kentucky, is the individual who is speaking to you. He is not one of the sort to be triffled with." (not sure what is trying to be said in the next sentance. I know o is meant to be of, yer is your, and hyur is here.)

Don't try to kum none o' yer demofoolery over this hyur.
"I warn you to end your game." (Never heard of decluk or demofoolery)

If ye're playin possum, ye'd better throw up yur hand; or by the junpin' Geehosophat, ye may lose both yur stake an' yur curds!
"If you are playing possum, you had better throw up (I think he means throw down) your hand, or by jumping Geehosophat, you may lose both your stake and your cards." (This is where he is using poker terms to speak of the matter. Hand refers to cards, Stake is the money used to gamble. jumping Geehosophat is a slang term used to apply more power to the statement something like As God is my witness)

Speak out now, afore ну gits plugged we' a piece o' lead!
"Say so now before you get plugged with a peice of lead." (which means say what you have to say now or I'm going to shoot you.)

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Translate from English into English. Empty Re: Translate from English into English.

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:24 pm

"demofoolery" I think he mean "tom foolery" Which is slang for "nonsense".

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 pm

Bir said: "Lookee hyur, stranger! Ole Zeb Stump from the State o' Kentucky, air the individooal who's now speakin' to ye. He ain't one o' thet sort ter be trifled wi'. Don't try to kum none o' yer demofoolery over this hyur. I warn ну to decluк yur game. If ye're playin possum, ye'd better throw up yur hand; or by the junpin' Geehosophat, ye may lose both yur stake an' yur curds! Speak out now, afore ну gits plugged we' a piece o' lead!"

Here's interpretation Boris: Look here stranger! Old Zeb Stump from the state of Kentucky, are [is] the individual who's [who is] speakin' [speaking] to you. He ain't [is not] the sort to be trifled wi' [fooled with/disrespectful]. Don't try to come none [come with] none o' [none of] your demfoolery [nonsensebluffing] over this hyur [here]. I warn you to declare your game [don't try to fool me]. If you are bluffing or trying to fool me, you had better fold your hand [get out of the game for this time]; or by the "junpin' Jesophat" [I swear!], you may lose both your money andyour cards! Speak out now, [declare you intentions; fold or call the wager] before you make me shoot you!

note: this sort of language use is termed colloquial. It is of the dialect of rural english speaking people that usually had no formal education [likely never went to school]. It was typical of early america in the rural areas . There are some that still speak in this manner. WHen depicting material from those times and settings and with those people it gives a measure of aunthenticity to the play, story or film to use such dialogue.

- air; are [improper grammar; correct term [adverb]: is.

- Lookee; look

- hyur/h'yahr; here

- o'; of

- thet; the

- ter; to

- wi'; with

- kum; come

- yur; your

- stake; money

- curds; cards

- afore; before

- we'; with

- plugged [in this sense; shot eith a gun]

- piece of lead; a bullet from a pistol or gun]

- ye; you

- individool; individual
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 pm

coontie wrote:Bir said: "Lookee hyur, stranger! Ole Zeb Stump from the State o' Kentucky, air the individooal who's now speakin' to ye. He ain't one o' thet sort ter be trifled wi'. Don't try to kum none o' yer demofoolery over this hyur. I warn ну to decluк yur game. If ye're playin possum, ye'd better throw up yur hand; or by the junpin' Geehosophat, ye may lose both yur stake an' yur curds! Speak out now, afore ну gits plugged we' a piece o' lead!"

Here's interpretation Boris: Look here stranger! Old Zeb Stump from the state of Kentucky, are [is] the individual who's [who is] speakin' [speaking] to you. He ain't [is not] the sort to be trifled wi' [fooled with/disrespectful]. Don't try to come none [come with] none o' [none of] your demfoolery [nonsensebluffing] over this hyur [here]. I warn you to declare your game [don't try to fool me]. If you are bluffing or trying to fool me, you had better fold your hand [get out of the game for this time]; or by the "junpin' Jesophat" [I swear!], you may lose both your money andyour cards! Speak out now, [declare you intentions; fold or call the wager] before you make me shoot you!

note: this sort of language use is termed colloquial. It is of the dialect of rural english speaking people that usually had no formal education [likely never went to school]. It was typical of early america in the rural areas . There are some that still speak in this manner. WHen depicting material from those times and settings and with those people it gives a measure of aunthenticity to the play, story or film to use such dialogue.

- air; are [improper grammar; correct term [adverb]: is.

- Lookee; look

- hyur/h'yahr; here

- o'; of

- thet; the

- ter; to

- wi'; with

- kum; come

- yur; your

- stake; money

- curds; cards

- afore; before

- we'; with

- plugged [in this sense; shot eith a gun]

- piece of lead; a bullet from a pistol or gun]

- ye; you

- individool; individual

I be derened if'n we be speakin' like dat dar! Shocked lol lol!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:24 pm

yer dern-tootin' you'uns do!
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:33 pm

Don't neither. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:44 am

Thank you very much. I got the exhaustive answers and comments. sunny It was not my caprice. I just need to do correct subtitles for the film. By the way, the choice piece that I wrote down here from "The Headless Horseman" by Mayne Reid. So, you are absolutely right that in this case, it was the dialect of rural english speaking people that usually had no formal education, as Julian said. Thanks again. sunny
Well, may I continue when I'll find anything like this or maybe I chew your ears off? king jocolor
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:55 am

Yes Bir, go ahead and post them. Can't speak for anyone else but I'll do my best for you.

Right now I'm heading to bed. I got some fishing to do in the morning. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:00 am

CarolinaHound wrote:Yes Bir, go ahead and post them. Can't speak for anyone else but I'll do my best for you.

Right now I'm heading to bed. I got some fishing to do in the morning. Very Happy
Thank you. Have a good night. Cool
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:08 am

By the way, here is the link to the photocopy of "The Headless Horseman" by Mayne Reid, where I took the choice piece.

"The Headless Horseman or a Strange Tale of Texas".

You'll find there a lot of nuances of English language of that time. Cool
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:23 am

CarolinaHound wrote:Yes Bir, go ahead and post them. Can't speak for anyone else but I'll do my best for you.
I think I can set a riddle to solve that will be more difficult than first. The Zeb Stump's speech that I've post above, is only child's play to what is on the way. geek I'd like to offer the dialogues of black slaves from the plantations... Cool This is something... geek
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 am

BiR wrote:
I think I can set a riddle to solve that will be more difficult than first. The Zeb Stump's speech that I've post above, is only child's play to what is on the way. geek I'd like to offer the dialogues of black slaves from the plantations... Cool This is something... geek

Не говорите, что мне нужно делать и я не скажу, куда Вам надо идти. ©️
If you do not tell me what to do, I will not tell you where to go.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:15 am

Old Timer wrote:
BiR wrote:

Well if the Dawg can handle the southern part, I will try to handle tghe western part. Yee Haw

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:40 am

Old Timer wrote:
Correct translation. But the Russian phrase is equivocal. ;-)
By the way, good morning, Jim. ;-)
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:27 am

И прекрасный день она является сэр. Надеюсь, что ваши и ваших все в порядке. и в добром здравии

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by xshivx Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:46 am

Rolling Eyes
xshivx
xshivx

Female
Taurus Horse
Number of posts : 1115
Job/hobbies : i work as a lobby hostess at mcdonalds, my hobbies are, singing, dancing, playing the drums, writing
Humor : a bit of everything
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:57 am

xshivx wrote:Rolling Eyes
Translate from English into English. D_daisy Translate from English into English. D_sunny
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:04 am

Old Timer wrote:И прекрасный день она является сэр. Надеюсь, что ваши и ваших все в порядке. и в добром здравии

Thanks Jim, I'm not bad. Just got a small cold yesterday. Translate from English into English. Scratch_one-s_head
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:43 am

BiR wrote:
Old Timer wrote:И прекрасный день она является сэр. Надеюсь, что ваши и ваших все в порядке. и в добром здравии

Thanks Jim, I'm not bad. Just got a small cold yesterday. Translate from English into English. Scratch_one-s_head

Я рад, что вы хорошо. Просто будьте осторожны, что свиного гриппа. Как ваша новая работа будет. Имеет ли платить больше денег? Я очень надеюсь на это. Наша погода здесь была просто красива. Он получает до 35 до 45 ночью и 65 к 75 в дневное время. Бизнес был медленным здесь в этом году. Многие люди находятся дома и не едет. Я понимаю, что так как есть очень много людей из работ. Линда делать больше. Она будет там 16 лет это 17 октября. Я, наконец, не выдержал и получил совершенно новый компьютер и экран. Я рад, что сделал это как старый действительно был медленным. Как у меня. Хаха. Ну я должен пойти и съесть что-нибудь, как я голоден.

Вы заботитесь друг мой.

Джим Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by xshivx Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:47 am

BiR wrote:
Translate from English into English. D_daisy Translate from English into English. D_sunny

Very Happy I love you xxx
xshivx
xshivx

Female
Taurus Horse
Job/hobbies : i work as a lobby hostess at mcdonalds, my hobbies are, singing, dancing, playing the drums, writing

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:54 pm

xshivx wrote:
BiR wrote:

Very Happy I love you xxx

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by xshivx Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:59 pm

im easily won over aye OT? lol xxx
xshivx
xshivx

Female
Taurus Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:04 pm

[quote="Old Timer"][quote="BiR"]
Old Timer wrote:

Я рад, что вы хорошо. Просто будьте осторожны, что свиного гриппа. Как ваша новая работа будет. Имеет ли платить больше денег? Я очень надеюсь на это. Наша погода здесь была просто красива. Он получает до 35 до 45 ночью и 65 к 75 в дневное время. Бизнес был медленным здесь в этом году. Многие люди находятся дома и не едет. Я понимаю, что так как есть очень много людей из работ. Линда делать больше. Она будет там 16 лет это 17 октября. Я, наконец, не выдержал и получил совершенно новый компьютер и экран. Я рад, что сделал это как старый действительно был медленным. Как у меня. Хаха. Ну я должен пойти и съесть что-нибудь, как я голоден.

Вы заботитесь друг мой.

Джим Very Happy

Hi Jim, thank you for your message, especially in Russian. By the way, you use the good translator. Really. We are not bad though we had bad news for our family last weeks. At 8th of September my mother-in-law has died. Now we're feeling a little better after 2 weeks after the burial.
But life is life and it still goes on. So, I hope I'll write to you and Julian the letters in this week-end.

P.S. We bought a little playful kitten, a girl so to say. We gave her a name Fenya or Fenechka. Officially Fenimora of maybe even so Philadelphia. Translate from English into English. Drinks
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:27 pm

P.S.
Post Script Very Happy

We bought a little playful kitten, a girl so to say.

We bought a kitten that was playful. (had a lot of energy) It was a girl.

We gave her a name Fenya or Fenechka.
(That means they named her Fenya or Fenechka. Maybe some call the kitten Fenya and some calle it Fenechka)

Officially Fenimora or maybe even so Philadelphia.

The official (real) name is Fenimora, or maybe Philadelphia. (I think they have decided on many names or just can't make up their mind. )

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Boris - respectfully and sincwerely; condolences to you and Galina on the passing of your Mother In Law.
regards -
Julian
p.s. do you read many enlish language books?
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:44 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
P.S.
Post Script Very Happy
Really? Wow! It's dynamite! Translate from English into English. Good Translate from English into English. Lol
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:02 am

coontie wrote:Hi Boris - respectfully and sincwerely; condolences to you and Galina on the passing of your Mother In Law.
regards -
Julian
Hi Julian,
Thank you for the condolences. Translate from English into English. Hi
coontie wrote:p.s. do you read many enlish language books?
Not enough books in English... I have not time for it and it's very bad though usually when I'm reading English texts, I wanna sleep. Translate from English into English. Boredom Maybe you know why? Translate from English into English. Blush
Last days I make English subtitles for the films - Russian versions of "The Headless Horsman" and "Ten Little Indians". So, I need to read these books in original. Also, few days ago I was watching the DVD "The Langoliers" in English though I have the film with 2 versions of dubbing. Translate from English into English. Cool
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:15 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
(That means they named her Fenya or Fenechka. Maybe some call the kitten Fenya and some calle it Fenechka)
Wow! Why so long? Translate from English into English. Scratch_one-s_head I know usually English phrase is shorter than equal Russian text. Translate from English into English. Scratch_one-s_head
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:54 am

BiR wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Wow! Why so long? Translate from English into English. Scratch_one-s_head I know usually English phrase is shorter than equal Russian text. Translate from English into English. Scratch_one-s_head

I don't know. I guess the author just wrote it that way trying to be funny or sarcastic about all the names the kitten was given.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:03 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
BiR wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

I don't know. I guess the author just wrote it that way trying to be funny or sarcastic about all the names the kitten was given.
Yes, you are right. The Russian name Феня (Fenya) just mean lingo or flash tongue. But this name also has the pet name Фенечка (Fenechka), and means a trinket or a bauble. Translate from English into English. Dan Translate from English into English. Alc
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 am

Old Timer wrote:
BiR wrote:

The best relationship is one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.
Лучшие отношения - это когда ваша любовь друг к другу больше, чем это вам необходимо. Translate from English into English. Dan Translate from English into English. Hug Translate from English into English. Ser I think. Translate from English into English. Scratch_one-s_head Translate from English into English. Rolleyes2
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:55 am

This site in Russian. Translate from English into English. Pleasantry

Translate from English into English. Talk_u12
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:19 am

Доброе утро Борис. Приятно видеть Вас здесь снова. Пожалуйста, скажите привет вашей любимой жены Алисы и кота для меня.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:30 am

Old Timer wrote:Доброе утро Борис. Приятно видеть Вас здесь снова. Пожалуйста, скажите привет вашей любимой жены Алисы и кота для меня.
Good morning Jim. Thank you. Glad to see you too. Translate from English into English. Yahoo l'll say hello to my wife and two our cats. My work day begin to wear off, so in 30-40 minutes I'll go home. I hope our cats are well because we had locked them in the different rooms, for the sake of good order. Translate from English into English. Mocking
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Hello everybody, king

I need a little help again. I can't translate into English the phrase when the visitor in a lunch-room wants to buy some food "to go", so to say. In a word, I need to recast the phrase:

Once George had gone out to the kitchen and made a ham-and-egg sandwich “to go” that a man wanted to take with him.*

into the buyer's phrase. In Russian it looks like this:

Заверните мне с собой два сендвича с печёнкой.

In my free English translation:

Two liver sandwiches to go.

I think it's something wrong but I don't know what Americans say in the lunch-rooms when they buy any food in this case. But please note, the action is taking place in 1920's so, please don't use the modern slang.

If I'll get the final translation tomorrow, I'll be very happy forever, in fact.lol!

Thanks in advance. sunny

-----------------------
* Ernest Hemingway, "The Killers", 1927.
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

BiR wrote:Hello everybody, king

I need a little help again. I can't translate into English the phrase when the visitor in a lunch-room wants to buy some food "to go", so to say. In a word, I need to recast the phrase:

Once George had gone out to the kitchen and made a ham-and-egg sandwich “to go” that a man wanted to take with him.*

I think it's something wrong but I don't know what Americans say in the lunch-rooms when they buy any food in this case. But please note, the action is taking place in 1920's so, please don't use the modern slang.

If I'll get the final translation tomorrow, I'll be very happy forever, in fact.lol!

Thanks in advance. sunny

-----------------------

"[i][b]Once George had gone out to the kitchen and made a ham-and-egg sandwich “to go” that a man wanted to take with him.* "

This portion of the story must have been taken out of some prior story material, as it begins here with "once". That can also be taken as: AFTER [meaning SINCE] George had gone out to the kitchen..." Perhaps to understand the true conetxt [meaning] of the entire thought some more of the story prior to this passage must be known.

Anyhow, try this: After Gerorge had went to the kitchen and prepared the ham and egg sandwich, which the man had ordered that he intended to eat later...

"he intended to eat later" infers [gives] the idea that he was going to take it with him.

"Take out" in America means food that someone orders to be prepared for them there [at the food business] that they will take and eat later, somewhere else - not at the restaurant.

One of the difficulties of some people understanding American language is that Americans often take some typical short phrases/several words and adapt them into a customary terminology that implies a situation. In this case, food that is ordered to be eaten later at some other place becomes typically "take out food", or just "take out".

As for the language translation of "ham and egg sandwich" becoming a "liver sandwich", the translation system only knows what it is told. It doesn't know about a ham and egg combination sandwich. We, we say: garbage in, garbage out". Meaning if the system is told by a human a certain thing, even if erroneous [wrong] the machine will faithfully reproduce what the human told it to do.
This is one of the hurdles that robots and computers have yet to overcome; the ability to think and reason for themselves! Razz
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:10 pm

coontie wrote:

Thanks in advance. sunny

-----------------------

"[i][b]Once George had gone out to the kitchen and made a ham-and-egg sandwich “to go” that a man wanted to take with him.* "

This portion of the story must have been taken out of some prior story material, as it begins here with "once". That can also be taken as: AFTER [meaning SINCE] George had gone out to the kitchen..." Perhaps to understand the true conetxt [meaning] of the entire thought some more of the story prior to this passage must be known.

Anyhow, try this: After Gerorge had went to the kitchen and prepared the ham and egg sandwich, which the man had ordered that he intended to eat later...

"he intended to eat later" infers [gives] the idea that he was going to take it with him.

"Take out" in America means food that someone orders to be prepared for them there [at the food business] that they will take and eat later, somewhere else - not at the restaurant.

One of the difficulties of some people understanding American language is that Americans often take some typical short phrases/several words and adapt them into a customary terminology that implies a situation. In this case, food that is ordered to be eaten later at some other place becomes typically "take out food", or just "take out".

As for the language translation of "ham and egg sandwich" becoming a "liver sandwich", the translation system only knows what it is told. It doesn't know about a ham and egg combination sandwich. We, we say: garbage in, garbage out". Meaning if the system is told by a human a certain thing, even if erroneous [wrong] the machine will faithfully reproduce what the human told it to do.
This is one of the hurdles that robots and computers have yet to overcome; the ability to think and reason for themselves! Razz

This is one of the hurdles that robots and computers have yet to overcome; the ability to think and reason for themselves!
Funny, but I actually know some foloks like that to. How is the wife doing my fiend.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:50 pm

Old Timer wrote:
coontie wrote:

Thanks in advance. sunny

-----------------------

This is one of the hurdles that robots and computers have yet to overcome; the ability to think and reason for themselves!
Funny, but I actually know some foloks like that to. How is the wife doing my fiend.

she still has some issues but we're making the best of it and plugging along. I'm not totally satisfied that some of the 'stuff' is not still lurking somewhere there. She goes for a PET scan third week of Jan. 2010.
If I don't hear from you before then... hope 2009 was good to you and yours and all the best for 2010.
Get ready for 2012.. we're all going to fall off of the earth! Razz
Actually though... that is when the previously assembled Mayan Calendar time ends; 2012. And guess what? the originators are not around to establish the new one. SOme of their ancestors are, but they couldn't care less about such mnatters now. It all comes down to the civilization that originated this calendar was destroyed by Hernando Cortez.
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next