Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire

+5
Americanadian
HotParadox
Kazza
CarolinaHound
Susan aka CV
9 posters

Go down

should this "fake" be prosecuted?

Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire Vote_lcap50%Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 5 ]
Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire Vote_lcap30%Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 3 ]
Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire Vote_lcap20%Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10

Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire Empty Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire

Post by Susan aka CV Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:54 am

poll: let's hear it - should this guy be prosecuted or not?

Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire

SUFFERN, N.Y. (AP) - Police arrested a man for impersonating a New York City firefighter after he tried to help battle a warehouse blaze in the suburbs. Suffern police and fire officials said that the 39-year-old man was dressed in full New York City Fire Department gear, including a jacket, pants and a helmet with his name on it.

Volunteer Fire Department Battalion Chief Michael Stark said he asked the man what he was doing at the Feb. 5 fire. He said it seemed ``kind of bizarre.''

Protocol states that non-departmental firefighters must get permission to assist from a commander.

Police said the man was arrested after an investigation revealed he was not a firefighter.

Information from: The Journal News, http://www.thejournalnews.com

03/16/09 20:51 ©️ Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Susan aka CV

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire Empty Re: Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire

Post by Susan aka CV Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:02 am

i say no - absolutely not!

he was doing something POSITIVE... definitely a rarity these days. Rolling Eyes

CV

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire Empty Re: Fake firefighter nabbed after trying to fight fire

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:10 am

No, hell no he shouldn't be. What's next? Are we gonna start fining and jailing folks that start pulling people out of fires during the hour it takes for a fire dept. to respond? And what's up with the commander not knowing who his fire fighters were anyway? I think if anyone should be in trouble it should be him. He's not much of a commander.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 am

I think he was probably a pyromaniac. Apparently you need to go through all sorts of psychological tests before you're allowed to become a fire-fighter, because so many of them actually start fires just so that they can fight them.

The worst of the bushfires that we had recently were started by a fire-fighter that somehow got through the psych testing.

People don't just turn up at a fire, dressed as a fire-fighter, out of the goodness of their heart. He's obviously thought this through if he made up his own uniform. Why didn't he just join the fire department?

Also, putting aside the above, he doesn't have the correct training. What happens when he wanders into the building, get's stuck, and other firefighters have to risk their lives trying to rescue him?
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:33 am

Kazza wrote:I think he was probably a pyromaniac. Apparently you need to go through all sorts of psychological tests before you're allowed to become a fire-fighter, because so many of them actually start fires just so that they can fight them.

The worst of the bushfires that we had recently were started by a fire-fighter that somehow got through the psych testing.

People don't just turn up at a fire, dressed as a fire-fighter, out of the goodness of their heart. He's obviously thought this through if he made up his own uniform. Why didn't he just join the fire department?

Also, putting aside the above, he doesn't have the correct training. What happens when he wanders into the building, get's stuck, and other firefighters have to risk their lives trying to rescue him?

Ok... you got a point on that one. But still, unless they can prove he started it, they shouldn't jail him. Could be he's just a fella with a fire fighter uniform who wanted to help. jmo

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:42 am

the fact that the guy was donned in full gear and went as far as having his name put on his helmet is an indication that the man is mentally disturbed. if this were my case i would recommend a battery of psychiatric testing. the prison part would have to depend on the outcomes of the tests. if he were 100% sane, then yes, a light sentence for impersonating a city official would seem fair. firefighters are highly trained and skilled and to allow just one guy to do this would open the door for others to follow suit. if one of these armchair firefighters were to get hurt or killed while fighting a fire, the headlines around the country would read that the system has failed because of the one guy who got off scott free. at this point without knowing the condition of his mental health, i can't vote yay or nay.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:58 am

More info is required on this. One could pass it off as a good gesture, however, considering he had his name on his helmet etc, is a good indication that there are possible ulterior motives.
Americanadian
Americanadian

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 am

Many long years ago I was a volunteer firefighter with a small town in southern Missouri. Even back then we had to go through training. It is indeed a dangerous job and someone that is not trained in all aspects can get someone hurt or killed. Those water hoses contain a lot of pressure and can really hurt or kill of not handled right. Not to mention other aspects. For what ever reason, unless asked to help, all should stay away and not try to make like they are heros because they are not. They are fools. This person has a problem of some kind and definately needs help.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:43 am

Americanadian wrote:More info is required on this. One could pass it off as a good gesture, however, considering he had his name on his helmet etc, is a good indication that there are possible ulterior motives.

I wonder if he was a native to the area, or a visitor, or maybe just moved there. Could be he was a volunteer fire fighter some place else. I know the volunteers here help each other and the regular city fire dept. a lot. Could be it was just natural for him to jump in and do what was needed to do.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:36 pm

This guy should definately be prosecuted. Impersonating any kind of public servant is dangerous. This guy dressing and acting like a firefighter could have endangered a lot of people. He probably doesn't know anything about fire or how it works and if he got in there and started messing around he could hurt or kill the real firefighters who know what they're doing. Even worse, what if he tried to rescue someone in the building and ended up killing them because he was not properly trained?

This guy should be prosecuted and then evaluated for mental illness.
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Definitely prosecuted. He could have put others at life threatening risk.

bruce

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:49 pm

If he didn't hurt anyone or do any harm, i would say let him go with a good lecture from the Judge and three days in jail and a $300.00 fine.
It is interesting regarding the N.Y.F.D. All of these engine companies have a big rivarly, going back quite a number of years. They actually orginated from tough street gangs, which were essentially a bunch of hoodlums. Many of them tried to be the first ones to the fire and fought off any other rivals that arrived.
I think they were pretty much 'free lance' and their payment was 'spoils' left over from the fire, that could be salvaged, or at least a porition of it.
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:05 am

very interesting reactions here guys and gals..

we'll stay tuned to see what happens to this guy.

CV

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down