Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ya gotta TRY this! - it's crazy...

+5
PaulM
CarolinaHound
Americanadian
HotParadox
Susan aka CV
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ya gotta TRY this! - it's crazy... Empty ya gotta TRY this! - it's crazy...

Post by Susan aka CV Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:41 pm

I hope someone can explain to me WHY or HOW it works!

HOW SMART IS YOUR RIGHT FOOT?

You have to try this please it takes 2 seconds. It will boggle your mind and you will keep you trying over and over again to see if you can outsmart your foot, but you can't.

1. While sitting at your desk in front of your computer, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles with it.

2. Now, while doing this, draw the number '6' in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction.

Question

let me know if you win the battle!! i didn't.. lol

CV

Susan aka CV

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

ya gotta TRY this! - it's crazy... Empty Re: ya gotta TRY this! - it's crazy...

Post by HotParadox Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:47 pm

LMAO Very Happy No can do!
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:02 am

I'm a drummer, I managed to do it but it wanted to change direction. LOL..

A good drummer can something different with each limb without affecting what the other limbs are doing. Now singing and playing drums is a different story. Smile
Americanadian
Americanadian

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:04 am

HotParadox wrote:LMAO Very Happy No can do!
LOL Laughing i've tried it a hundred times = NOT!!

HOW/WHY does it work???

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:09 am

Americanadian wrote:I'm a drummer, I managed to do it but it wanted to change direction. LOL..

A good drummer can something different with each limb without affecting what the other limbs are doing. Now singing and playing drums is a different story. Smile
WTG ac!! cheers

so tell me WHY drummers can do that....... ? is it a reflect? - it doesn't seem like it would be. or a brain thing? - did you train your brain to let you do it? or what! lol

CV

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:16 am

My foot kicked forward.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:21 am

CarolinaHound wrote:My foot kicked forward.
I hope AC was in front of you. monkey
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:04 am

HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:My foot kicked forward.
I hope AC was in front of you. monkey

Nope, that'd never happen. I'd never kick the drummer, a good one is too damned hard to find.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:58 am

Americanadian wrote:I'm a drummer, I managed to do it but it wanted to change direction. LOL..

I'm right with you there AC. I haven't played in about 17 years, but the body never forgets Smile My right foot wanted to change direction REAL BAD!
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon
Number of posts : 577
Humor : Yes

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:01 am

Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

so tell me WHY drummers can do that....... ? is it a reflect? - it doesn't seem like it would be. or a brain thing? - did you train your brain to let you do it? or what! lol

CV

From my experience it's a training thing... but I'm sure there is 'natural ability' involved as well. It's just been developed. As a drummer you have a job to do and in order to do it sometimes you need to move in different directions... for lack of a better description.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:27 am

PaulM wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

CV

From my experience it's a training thing... but I'm sure there is 'natural ability' involved as well. It's just been developed. As a drummer you have a job to do and in order to do it sometimes you need to move in different directions... for lack of a better description.

It like falling off a bar stool without spilling your beer I guess. Takes a natural talent, desire, drive, and practice... lots and lots of practice. Laughing

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:51 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
PaulM wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

CV

It like falling off a bar stool without spilling your beer I guess. Takes a natural talent, desire, drive, and practice... lots and lots of practice. Laughing

Heck, I can fall off of a bar stool any old day but I can't do this. hehehe Linda tried and she can't either. Laughing

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:08 am

God... what a way to pass the time... really! Shocked Razz
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 am

No can do...thats weird...were do you come up with this stuff!!! Shocked
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 pm

coontie wrote:God... what a way to pass the time... really! Shocked Razz

Yeah well did you try it to?

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:54 pm

PaulM wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

CV

hey paul... it's interesting that you and ac - as drummers - can do this, but no one else. not yet anyway. it sounds like even though you guys experienced the urge for your foot to change direction, you were able to resist it...

so if it's a brain training thing, i'm assuming I could do this too if i worked at it long enough, right?? lol

that's very confusing to me though... because i always thought our brain trains US to learn different things! i never realized we could turn the table and train our brain...

hmmmm - i think i feel a challenge comin' on! Laughing

CV

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:56 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
PaulM wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

CV

lmao @ CH.. Laughing Laughing

good one..

CV

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
PaulM wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

CV

Heck, I can fall off of a bar stool any old day but I can't do this. hehehe Linda tried and she can't either. Laughing
i have this picture in my head of you two watching each other try this and lol-ing the whole time!

looks like taking up drumming is a solution though.. think linda would object to that ot? bounce

CV

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:No can do...thats weird...were do you come up with this stuff!!! Shocked
my brother likes to aggravate... he's always sending me stupid stuff like this to drive me crazy!

CV

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Susan aka CV wrote:
Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:No can do...thats weird...were do you come up with this stuff!!! Shocked
my brother likes to aggravate... he's always sending me stupid stuff like this to drive me crazy!

CV

Well, has he done it yet hehehehe Laughing

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:02 pm

Susan aka CV wrote:
PaulM wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

CV

hey paul... it's interesting that you and ac - as drummers - can do this, but no one else. not yet anyway. it sounds like even though you guys experienced the urge for your foot to change direction, you were able to resist it...

so if it's a brain training thing, i'm assuming I could do this too if i worked at it long enough, right?? lol

that's very confusing to me though... because i always thought our brain trains US to learn different things! i never realized we could turn the table and train our brain...

CV

I have no idea about drums. But most folks have a hard time getting the left hand to do what it's suppose to do while maintaining a certain strum or picking pattern with the right while playing guitar. I imagine I'll have the same issue when/if I get into using effects pedals. So what you do is practice one thing at a time. Today, just practice doing your foot in circles. do it in clock wise circles then switch to counter clockwise. Get a rhythm to it, do it to music if it helps, but learn to only switch on certain beats until you get to where you change on those beats by instinct more than actually having to think about it. Then after you get that down try doing the 6 with your finger without changing directions.

I doubt you actually do that, but I just thought I'd give you a idea of how I learned to do a bunch of different things with my hands at once. It's easier for some, some can just naturally do it, others have to practice and train their mind to work with their body parts.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Old Timer wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

CV

Well, has he done it yet hehehehe Laughing
i don't think so ot.. lol

but then again - people i know who ARE crazy don't even realize they're nut cases... so i'm probably not the right one for you to ask! Laughing

CV

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:47 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:
PaulM wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

CV

CV

I have no idea about drums. But most folks have a hard time getting the left hand to do what it's suppose to do while maintaining a certain strum or picking pattern with the right while playing guitar. I imagine I'll have the same issue when/if I get into using effects pedals. So what you do is practice one thing at a time. Today, just practice doing your foot in circles. do it in clock wise circles then switch to counter clockwise. Get a rhythm to it, do it to music if it helps, but learn to only switch on certain beats until you get to where you change on those beats by instinct more than actually having to think about it. Then after you get that down try doing the 6 with your finger without changing directions.

I doubt you actually do that, but I just thought I'd give you a idea of how I learned to do a bunch of different things with my hands at once. It's easier for some, some can just naturally do it, others have to practice and train their mind to work with their body parts.
okay CH. i've been sitting here trying this exercise you suggested and it's not working!! i can't get my right foot to reverse direction on demand.... what am i doing wrong????

and another thing... i can't get my LEFT FOOT to make circles AT ALL!! can you? it just wants to kick forward...

HELP!! Sad

CV

p.s. a revision to OT about the crazy thing... i hearby change my answer to YES! i think my brother has finally succeeded!! cheers

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Susan aka CV wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:
PaulM wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

CV

CV

okay CH. i've been sitting here trying this exercise you suggested and it's not working!! i can't get my right foot to reverse direction on demand.... what am i doing wrong????

and another thing... i can't get my LEFT FOOT to make circles AT ALL!! can you? it just wants to kick forward...

HELP!! Sad

CV

p.s. a revision to OT about the crazy thing... i hearby change my answer to YES! i think my brother has finally succeeded!! cheers

lol.. What your doing wrong is trying to get the six before you get the circle down pat. (No I didn't mean what you dirty minded people are gonna think meant. Very Happy )
You work on the circle today..just the circling of the foot today. Then try add the 6 tomorrow after properly warming up by doing the circles. If you can't do it, then another day of circles and try the 6 again later. Eventually you will let the force flow through you and you'll get it my pattiwan. And there you have the process of learning to play an instrument. Wink May the force be with you.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:31 pm

Old Timer wrote:
coontie wrote:God... what a way to pass the time... really! Shocked Razz

Yeah well did you try it to?

Nope... why should I? It goes something like trying to pat your self on the top of the head with one hand and rubbing on your chest in a circular motion with the other. About the same results. Depends upon coordination ability of the individual.
LEave off with circular motions in other places; you might get distracted! Shocked Cool Twisted Evil Razz
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:37 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
lol.. What your doing wrong is trying to get the six before you get the circle down pat. (No I didn't mean what you dirty minded people are gonna think meant.
i didn't get to the 6 part yet... the CIRCLES are the problem! when i try to reverse from clockwise to counter-clockwise, it's like my foot has a mind of it's own and just goes all over the place!!! bounce

You work on the circle today..just the circling of the foot today. Then try add the 6 tomorrow after properly warming up by doing the circles. If you can't do it, then another day of circles and try the 6 again later. Eventually you will let the force flow through you and you'll get it my pattiwan. And there you have the process of learning to play an instrument. May the force be with you.
this is HARD!! i've tried off and on all day - no luck so far... i think my biggest problem is i have no patience. maybe tomorrow!

thanks 🐶

CV

btw... what's a pattiwan Question Laughing

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan aka CV Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:40 am

coontie wrote:
pat your self on the top of the head with one hand and rubbing on your chest in a circular motion with the other.
THIS - i can do!

CV

Susan aka CV

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:58 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:
PaulM wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:

WTG ac!! cheers

CV

CV

HELP!! Sad

CV

lol.. What your doing wrong is trying to get the six before you get the circle down pat. (No I didn't mean what you dirty minded people are gonna think meant. Very Happy )
You work on the circle today..just the circling of the foot today. Then try add the 6 tomorrow after properly warming up by doing the circles. If you can't do it, then another day of circles and try the 6 again later. Eventually you will let the force flow through you and you'll get it my pattiwan. And there you have the process of learning to play an instrument. Wink May the force be with you.

wax-on / wax-off
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:39 am

Susan aka CV wrote:btw... what's a pattiwan

It's a jedi in training. Very Happy 🐶

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:44 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:btw... what's a pattiwan

It's a jedi in training. Very Happy 🐶

Strong with this one... the Force is.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:01 am

Susan aka CV wrote:
WTG ac!! cheers

CV

It's a combination of natural ability but also practice, more than anything, IMO. When I first started drumming, there is always a coordination issue. Most drummers use the right hand to hit the hi-hat cymbals. When hitting the hi-hats, the right hand is crossing over the left which is hitting the snare drum and usually positioned between the legs/knees (preference). Sometimes, the body has difficulty allowing both hands to do independent motions simultaneously which usually results in a new drummer hitting both snare drum and hi-hats at the same time. It takes practice to have the right hand doing one thing while the left does something else. Now, add the right foot doing something different while operating the bass drum kick pedal. Then, the left foot operates the hi-hat stand which opens and closes the hi-hat cymbals.

Here's something for you to try by just tapping on your desk. In school, I would drive the teachers crazy by constantly tapping my feet and hands to a song in my head. It wasn't an incessant tapping noise either. A musical person would realize I was playing a song, LOL.

Use your right hand and tap the desk the same time as you count 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 using whatever pace you would like. Start out slowly at first.

Tap your left finger on the desk when you come to #3 each time. So both fingers will tap the desk on #3 only.

Once you've mastered that, tap your right foot on #1. So only your right foot and right finger move when you count/tap #1.

When you're comfortable, you now have learned a basic drum beat.

If I explained it well enough, I'd be interested to know if anyone found that their hands/fingers would sometimes tap where they shouldn't or would get mixed up. I'll get Paul's opinion if I made it easy to comprehend or not. He could probably add to it. If I remember correctly, that is 4/4 time. I wasn't too knowledgeable on music theory since I was always a play-by-ear kinda guy. Cool
Americanadian
Americanadian

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:03 am

PaulM wrote:

I'm right with you there AC. I haven't played in about 17 years, but the body never forgets Smile My right foot wanted to change direction REAL BAD!

LOL...right on. It's always good to meet a fellow drummer. Maybe that's why we've always gotten along.

I still tap like a son-of-a-bitch. Constantly, incessantly, never ceasing, eternally. It must be ingrained in me to the degree it will never leave. What a Face

I don't have a drum set presently. I am thinking of buying a set, however. It can be a test to see how patient my neighbors are. LOL... bom
Americanadian
Americanadian

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:08 am

Susan aka CV wrote:

CV

I think the key to overcoming this particular obstacle is getting comfortable making the circles with your right foot first. It's the same as training a limb to be independent in drumming. It takes practice for sure.

Try moving your foot clockwise and writing a backwards 6. Does that work easier?
Americanadian
Americanadian

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:54 am

Americanadian wrote:
PaulM wrote:

LOL...right on. It's always good to meet a fellow drummer. Maybe that's why we've always gotten along.

I still tap like a son-of-a-bitch. Constantly, incessantly, never ceasing, eternally. It must be ingrained in me to the degree it will never leave. What a Face

I don't have a drum set presently. I am thinking of buying a set, however. It can be a test to see how patient my neighbors are. LOL... bom

I don't have a kit anymore either Sad and you're right... it would drive the neighbors crazy... or at least my wife *lol*

There's a music store in Louisville that will rent-to-own instruments, good ones too, but I'm too cheap Smile
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:03 am

Susan,
You can also try this...

Counting a steady 1-2-3-4
tap right foot on 1
right finger on 2
left finger & right foot on 3
right finger on 4
right foot on 1
and so on...

Start slowly to build your confidence... once your comfortable then you can speed it up to a more comfortable tempo. Maybe even change it arounda little bit... say... changing the right finger to on 1-2-3-4 rather than on 2-4
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:24 pm

PaulM wrote:Susan,
You can also try this...

tap right foot on 1
right finger on 2
right finger on 4
right foot on 1
and so on...

Start slowly to build your confidence... once your comfortable then you can speed it up to a more comfortable tempo. Maybe even change it arounda little bit... say... changing the right finger to on 1-2-3-4 rather than on 2-4

I still can't do all that. But then I can't follow a metronome either. If it weren't for memory and feel I'd be in trouble playing guitar. Who am I kidding? I taped myself playing last night.. I still got problems. hehehe.. Twisted Evil

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:53 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
PaulM wrote:Susan,
You can also try this...

tap right foot on 1
right finger on 2
right finger on 4
right foot on 1
and so on...

I still can't do all that. But then I can't follow a metronome either. If it weren't for memory and feel I'd be in trouble playing guitar. Who am I kidding? I taped myself playing last night.. I still got problems. hehehe.. Twisted Evil

Well at least you can do that. I can't play any instrument unless I use it like a baseball bat. I couldn't carry a tune unless I had a big basket to put it in. No

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Susan aka CV wrote:
coontie wrote:
pat your self on the top of the head with one hand and rubbing on your chest in a circular motion with the other.
THIS - i can do!

CV

Try forward and reversing the circular motion while constantly patting your head. That is; clock-wise [so to speak] for a time, then reverse and go counter clock-wise. See if either the patting or the circular motion is attempted to be changed to the other...
Some people seems to come into the world better 'wired' coordination-wise. Others, it varies.
Jugglers and Tight-rope walkers and the like, they are the real and true adepts.
However [coordination] to a point; the brain can be trained to better perform in this regard. Still varies from one person to another.
When one really begins to realize what actually transpires in teh Brain, it is quite remarkable - a lot of it is [actually, for the most part all of it] is illusion. Everything goes on in the Brain. And when one consider it, the whole human life-form, in every respect, is about brain support. It is our true life form.
Just a 'by the way; how many here realize that your Eyes seem things upside down and your brain converts them to right side up, except when your body is positioned upside down. That is one of the basic proofs of intelligence of the Brain. It is aware of spacial orientation. Of course, this seems a survival instinct.
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:15 pm

Me try that stuff. No way. I have trouble just putting one foot in front of the other and walking out the door. Laughing

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Americanadian Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:29 am

coontie wrote:
Susan aka CV wrote:
coontie wrote:
THIS - i can do!

CV

Try forward and reversing the circular motion while constantly patting your head. That is; clock-wise [so to speak] for a time, then reverse and go counter clock-wise. See if either the patting or the circular motion is attempted to be changed to the other...
Some people seems to come into the world better 'wired' coordination-wise. Others, it varies.
Jugglers and Tight-rope walkers and the like, they are the real and true adepts.
However [coordination] to a point; the brain can be trained to better perform in this regard. Still varies from one person to another.
When one really begins to realize what actually transpires in teh Brain, it is quite remarkable - a lot of it is [actually, for the most part all of it] is illusion. Everything goes on in the Brain. And when one consider it, the whole human life-form, in every respect, is about brain support. It is our true life form.
Just a 'by the way; how many here realize that your Eyes seem things upside down and your brain converts them to right side up, except when your body is positioned upside down. That is one of the basic proofs of intelligence of the Brain. It is aware of spacial orientation. Of course, this seems a survival instinct.

No problems there. Very Happy

Try switching the hands you use to pat your head. I tried starting the patting and circling motion simultaneously and both started tapping. LOL.
Americanadian
Americanadian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next