Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LA Governor Bobby Jindal is BO's Rebuttal Speaker Tonight 2/24/09

+4
Old Timer
Theophilus
thomasjay
HotParadox
8 posters

Go down

LA Governor Bobby Jindal is BO's Rebuttal Speaker Tonight 2/24/09 Empty LA Governor Bobby Jindal is BO's Rebuttal Speaker Tonight 2/24/09

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Oxford educated Rhodes scholar, Republican Louisiana Governor and who the Republican party is grooming as their candidate for the next Presidential election, rising star Bobby Jindal will be the rebuttal speaker after President Obama's speech tonight.

The Republican Party is smart to put Jindal in the limelight so early in the game.

I'm looking forward to watching this tonight.

La. Governor Took Fast Track to National Prominence

Jindal to Deliver GOP Response to Obama Address

LA Governor Bobby Jindal is BO's Rebuttal Speaker Tonight 2/24/09 Ph200910

By Philip Rucker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 24, 2009; A05

One Rhodes scholarship applicant stood out on the long roster of Louisiana's high achievers: 20-year-old Bobby Jindal.
He so impressed the state's selection committee with his intelligence
and eloquence that the judges hashed over the contenders for just 30
seconds before picking Jindal as a finalist. It took them 45 minutes to
settle on the second finalist.
"At the time, I was feeling I was on a good career path," recalled committee member David Vitter,
a Republican who had just won election to the state legislature and now
is Louisiana's junior senator. "I came home and told my wife, 'I just
met somebody today who makes me feel both stupid and old.' "
Now,
17 years later, Jindal is governor of Louisiana and the anointed boy
wonder of a Republican Party left battered by the 2008 election and
hungry for new leadership. Jindal's audition on the national stage is
tonight, when he delivers his party's response to President Obama's
address to a joint session of Congress.
Jindal, 37, was still
working last night on the 10-minute speech. Aides said he is writing it
himself, although he has received input from party leaders. The
fast-talking governor plans to rehearse with a teleprompter today
before giving the address live from the governor's mansion in Baton
Rouge.
This is the grandest opportunity of Jindal's young
political life, and the governor is banking on impressing Americans
just as he wowed the Rhodes panel. But in his star moment, Jindal is
being anything but cautious.

Leading up to his speech, Jindal has
voiced withering criticism of Obama's $787 billion economic recovery
package, becoming the most prominent of a handful of Republican
governors from Southern states to say they will reject some federal
funds in the stimulus plan.
Jindal's gamble -- on display Sunday
on NBC's "Meet the Press" and again yesterday at the White House when
Obama warned governors not to play politics with the stimulus -- is
widely regarded by GOP strategists as an attempt to burnish his
fiscal-conservative credentials in expectation of a presidential bid,
perhaps as early as 2012.
The son of Indian immigrants, Jindal is
the first nonwhite governor of Louisiana since Reconstruction and
offers the GOP an attractive rival to Obama.
"Look, I think every
American is incredibly proud by the president's personal story, the
fact that we will be seeing him addressing his first joint session of
Congress tomorrow night, and I have been selected and honored to give .
. . the Republican response," Jindal said yesterday.
In picking a
governor to deliver tonight's speech, GOP leaders are acknowledging
that without a majority in Congress, the big ideas necessary to rebuild
their party are likely to come from state capitols. Jindal is among
several GOP governors harboring national ambitions, a group that
includes Florida's Charlie Crist, Minnesota's Tim Pawlenty, South
Carolina's Mark Sanford and Utah's Jon M. Huntsman Jr.
"States
really have been the incubators of national change, and that is
particularly the case when your party's out of power," Sanford said.
Huntsman
noted, "The ideas are not going to come from the Congress, but rather
from the incubators of democracy called the states, where governors are
going to be able to actually do something."
Not that the party's
congressional leaders are ceding that territory to the governors. "We
view the Senate now as the incubator of ideas," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell
(Ky.) said in an interview yesterday with Washington Post journalists.
He said Senate Republicans will be offering an increasing number of
amendments to Democratic bills as a way to lay out a vision for the
party. "We are road-testing Republican ideas on the floor of the Senate
-- in great numbers."
In Jindal, the GOP has chosen a charismatic
spokesman with intellectual heft. At 24, Jindal was Louisiana's health
secretary, a job in which he was known as an efficient technocrat.
After other high-level posts, Jindal narrowly lost a bid for governor
in 2003. He was elected to Congress the next year and ran again for
governor in 2007, this time winning.
Fourteen months into his
governorship, Jindal has signed stricter ethics laws and was widely
hailed for his mastery of the state's response to last fall's Hurricane
Gustav.
"He's a very attractive, young, I would say, future star,
but I'm not so sure stardom's in the future," said Mississippi Gov.
Haley Barbour (R), a former GOP national chairman. "I think it may
already be here."
Jindal drew criticism at home recently for
crisscrossing the country raising campaign funds. "His approval ratings
have been up in the 60s," said John Maginnis, a Louisiana political
analyst. "But at the same time, they're getting a little impatient with
his constant traveling."
Sen. Mary Landrieu
(D-La.) said constituents are asking, "Geez, he's only been governor
for a year, and right now the people of Louisiana really need a
governor."
Jindal drew attention for his uncharacteristic
outspokenness against the stimulus after announcing Friday that his
state would reject funds from a provision to expand eligibility for
unemployment, which he said ultimately would result in employers paying
more taxes.
"The $100 million we turned down was temporary
federal dollars that would require us to change our unemployment laws,"
Jindal said on "Meet the Press." "That would've actually raised taxes
on Louisiana businesses."
But that provision is a small fraction
of the overall stimulus funds flowing to Louisiana, and an amendment to
the bill allows state legislatures to overrule governors and accept the
funds.
Even as he criticizes the stimulus bill, Jindal is asking
Congress for an additional $5 billion to $6 billion to help rebuild the
Gulf Coast, said Rep. James E. Clyburn
(D-S.C.). "There seems to be significant hypocrisy," Clyburn said. "Why
would you be interested in rebuilding the levees and not be interested
in helping the people stand themselves back up?"
In a meeting
with governors at the White House, Obama criticized some governors for
being partisan. He did not mention Jindal by name, but he looked toward
him and Barbour, who has taken a similar stance.
"If we agree on
90 percent of this stuff, and we're spending all our time on television
arguing about 1, 2, 3 percent of the spending in this thing, and
somehow it's being characterized in broad brush as wasteful spending,
that starts sounding more like politics," Obama said. "And that's what
right now we don't have time to do."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/23/AR2009022302735_pf.html
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

LA Governor Bobby Jindal is BO's Rebuttal Speaker Tonight 2/24/09 Empty Re: LA Governor Bobby Jindal is BO's Rebuttal Speaker Tonight 2/24/09

Post by thomasjay Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:45 pm

I have to be honest, I didn't think his delivery came across that well. It sort of reminded me of when Tim Kaine the Virginia gov. did one of the Democratic rebuttals. He was supposed to be up & coming in the Dem Party and he was boring with big bushy eyebrows and it dropped him right out of the spotlight. Jindals a really bright guy, but he's going to need alot of polishing before he goes national imo.

thomasjay

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

LA Governor Bobby Jindal is BO's Rebuttal Speaker Tonight 2/24/09 Empty Re: LA Governor Bobby Jindal is BO's Rebuttal Speaker Tonight 2/24/09

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:52 pm

I'm listening right now and he seems very young and nervous. I'm going to listen to the comments on cnn and fox. He is at a disadvantage because BO is so dynamic and Bobby is so green at this point, and he came in right after the charismatic BO. Poor delivery, not his best speech. Fox is ripping him a new one right now.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasjay Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:03 am

You're right, very young and nervous. You know what it was about his delivery? He sounded like he was talking to a 4th grade class. And whether I agree with him on everything or not, he's a smart guy and he needs to put that across to get national credibility. I definitely don't think he helped himself tonight

thomasjay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:13 am

I think public speaking comes naturally to Obama, which is a very rare occurence. You can polish all you want, but I don't think there's a way to get that natural edge that Obama and some people have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:18 am

Ok, after reading up on Jindal, I would never vote for him. I disagree with him on almost every platform. I also find it interesting that in 2007 he was 14th among ALL congressmen for earmark funding. And he'll have about as much experience as Obama when he runs...

Sorry... I'm just finding so much info about him that kind of makes Republicans look really hypocritical IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 am

thomasjay wrote:You're right, very young and nervous. You know what it was about his delivery? He sounded like he was talking to a 4th grade class. And whether I agree with him on everything or not, he's a smart guy and he needs to put that across to get national credibility. I definitely don't think he helped himself tonight
And, to be honest with you, his weaknesses made BO's speech seem all the more strong. I know that is not a good way to judge BO's speech, but I can see how, if you make a comparison, that is what you could come up with. I don't know if that makes any sense.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:23 am

lisan23 wrote:I think public speaking comes naturally to Obama, which is a very rare occurence. You can polish all you want, but I don't think there's a way to get that natural edge that Obama and some people have.
I heard on CNN that he usually is a dynamic speaker, and for someone like me who was dying to hear him speak, the first time can be a killer or a keeper. Killer.

BO is in the league of Reagan, as far as having a gift.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:25 am

lisan23 wrote:Ok, after reading up on Jindal, I would never vote for him. I disagree with him on almost every platform. I also find it interesting that in 2007 he was 14th among ALL congressmen for earmark funding. And he'll have about as much experience as Obama when he runs...

Sorry... I'm just finding so much info about him that kind of makes Republicans look really hypocritical IMO.
I have to read up on his views. But, they will change, I can almost guarantee you that, before he runs, if he does. I heard that he was a fairly liberal conservative. You didn't find that?
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasjay Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 am

a fairly liberal conservative.
that just made me laugh for some reason Very Happy

thomasjay

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:37 am

The very first part of the speech I liked. The part about going into grocery stores, seeing all the products. His Dad then saying Americans can do anything. I can't break all the speech down without watching it again. There was one thing in his speech that bothered me.

That was the part on heath care.

He said I believe in universal health care for all Americans. Just not universal care with the government running it. Now that is not an exact quote, but close.

Let me tell you in all the years I have followed politics. This is nothing but double speak at it's finest. First what is the definitions of universal health care? Also did he offer an alternative plan. No he did not. The rest sounded like the same taking points I have heard for years. Though I will have to watch again a few more times to be able to give proper comment. Though for right now I can say I was not too impressed.
That is just my opinion.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 am

thomasjay wrote:
a fairly liberal conservative.
that just made me laugh for some reason Very Happy
I know. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about to be honest with you. Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 am

HotParadox wrote:
lisan23 wrote:Ok, after reading up on Jindal, I would never vote for him. I disagree with him on almost every platform. I also find it interesting that in 2007 he was 14th among ALL congressmen for earmark funding. And he'll have about as much experience as Obama when he runs...

I have to read up on his views. But, they will change, I can almost guarantee you that, before he runs, if he does. I heard that he was a fairly liberal conservative. You didn't find that?

Lol, NO. Not even close. In fact, I read he is forming the Louisiana Commission on Marriage and Family - which is made up of those who are strongly opposed to gay marriage. He is OK with emergency contraception in cases of rape, but anything outside that is a no. (But then again, I just feel abortion is a talking point and nothing more.) He voted to make the Patriot Act permanent, and voted with the Republican caucus 97% of the time. He wants copays for Medicaid (because I guess low income people and families that can't afford health care and to survive CAN afford copays... riiiight). He also signed the Sex Offender Chemical Castration Bill. What I think he fails to understand is crimes of rape, incest, and such against children (while absolutely disgusting) are not really crimes about sex, but crimes about power. Chemically castrating an offender will not stop them from sexually abusing another child. The crime is disgusting, but I don't think this punishment will stop those who commit those type of crimes. (Though, to be honest, it is some sort of vindication to the victim.)

He's also refusing stimulus funds, which hurts the people of his state. There were millions going to unemployment, medicaid, and other state programs - but he said no. That doesn't hurt him... but what about all those families who need it?

The only thing I agree with him on is gun rights. But I'm a republican on that issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 am

Theophilus wrote:The very first part of the speech I liked. The part about going into grocery stores, seeing all the products. His Dad then saying Americans can do anything. I can't break all the speech down without watching it again. There was one thing in his speech that bothered me.

That was the part on heath care.

He said I believe in universal health care for all Americans. Just not universal care with the government running it. Now that is not an exact quote, but close.

Let me tell you in all the years I have followed politics. This is nothing but double speak at it's finest. First what is the definitions of universal health care? Also did he offer an alternative plan. No he did not. The rest sounded like the same taking points I have heard for years. Though I will have to watch again a few more times to be able to give proper comment. Though for right now I can say I was not too impressed.
That is just my opinion.
Howdy, DM gave us a good answer to your question on the Problem? thread. Go there.

OK. Anyways, I have to see it again, too, because I was stunned with the way he sounded like a high school kid. I was focused on that more than the content of his speech. But by definition, Universal Health Care is run by the Government. Sounds like double speak, to me, too.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasjay Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:47 am

So anyway, what did you all think of the other guys speech- the one who came on before Jindal? Smile

thomasjay

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasjay Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:50 am

I can't wait to see the thread franks going to post on it bounce

thomasjay

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:53 am

thomasjay wrote:I can't wait to see the thread franks going to post on it bounce
Me too. bounce Basketball bounce
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:03 am

lisan23 wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

Lol, NO. Not even close. In fact, I read he is forming the Louisiana Commission on Marriage and Family - which is made up of those who are strongly opposed to gay marriage. He is OK with emergency contraception in cases of rape, but anything outside that is a no. (But then again, I just feel abortion is a talking point and nothing more.) He voted to make the Patriot Act permanent, and voted with the Republican caucus 97% of the time. He wants copays for Medicaid (because I guess low income people and families that can't afford health care and to survive CAN afford copays... riiiight). He also signed the Sex Offender Chemical Castration Bill. What I think he fails to understand is crimes of rape, incest, and such against children (while absolutely disgusting) are not really crimes about sex, but crimes about power. Chemically castrating an offender will not stop them from sexually abusing another child. The crime is disgusting, but I don't think this punishment will stop those who commit those type of crimes. (Though, to be honest, it is some sort of vindication to the victim.)

He's also refusing stimulus funds, which hurts the people of his state. There were millions going to unemployment, medicaid, and other state programs - but he said no. That doesn't hurt him... but what about all those families who need it?

The only thing I agree with him on is gun rights. But I'm a republican on that issue.
First of all, if gays want to get married I think they should have every right to be miserable just like the rest of us. Just don't do it in a church, Just my opinion. Emergency contraception and abortion should be state matters, so he should MYOB. I think everybody should MYOB on that, it's a personal choice and I'm pro-life so that shows you how much I really believe that if it's not breaking the law and not bothering the mother's conscience then who am I to tell her what to do, never mind the government. If somebody rapes a kid, send the perv to me and I will de-nut him, no cost to the taxpayers. I just want him de-balled. If the prez wants to give me money from his bogus Stimuls Bill, thank you very much, I'll take it anyways. Guns I hate, hate, but the law says we have the right to bear arms so I'll try to change the law or shut my mouth. That's it.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:06 am

thomasjay wrote:So anyway, what did you all think of the other guys speech- the one who came on before Jindal? Smile
I will hang my head in shame. I was feeding the hubby and kids during BO's speech. I heard him, but I wasn't listening to him. He sounded strong, though. Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 am

I missed everything. I don't have cable, and I get no stations without cable or satelite TV. So now I'm just reading the reviews of what happened. Plus, I was baking cupcakes. Lol

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:24 am

lisan23 wrote:I missed everything. I don't have cable, and I get no stations without cable or satelite TV. So now I'm just reading the reviews of what happened. Plus, I was baking cupcakes. Lol
Eww, cupcakes. I just made a great recipe for lemon filled ones. All from scratch. I should post them in the recipe swap thread. bounce
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:31 pm

HotParadox wrote:
lisan23 wrote:I missed everything. I don't have cable, and I get no stations without cable or satelite TV. So now I'm just reading the reviews of what happened. Plus, I was baking cupcakes. Lol
Eww, cupcakes. I just made a great recipe for lemon filled ones. All from scratch. I should post them in the recipe swap thread. bounce

please do Very Happy

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:52 pm

But they are my Mum's secret recipe. Suspect
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:34 pm

So Mr. Jindal is the republicans next best shot??? Did you know he wants to split Louisiana's share of the stimulus bill...wants to accept half and send the other half back to Washington. I have to wonder if he cares bout the citizens of Louisiana...especially all of those that have lost their jobs in that state...if its meant to make a statement it falls way short.
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:34 pm

HotParadox wrote:But they are my Mum's secret recipe. Suspect

Then you'll just have to secretly make enough for everybody.....

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:45 pm

I don't like lemon. But you should at least share how to get the filling in without ruining the cupcake. That way I could put chocolate pudding in the middle... mmmmm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:51 pm

One thing I like about posting here is how we can go from talking politics, to talking cupcakes.

I think it shows the good nature of the people here.

Very Happy

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:36 pm

lisan23 wrote:I don't like lemon. But you should at least share how to get the filling in without ruining the cupcake. That way I could put chocolate pudding in the middle... mmmmm.
OK, I've been thinking about it and I don't think she would have minded if I gave you her recipe. But I won't post it. I will PM you it, because it really is special and a family secret. You don't have to use the lemon filling recipe, just fill it with whatever you want, even raspberry or blueberry jam or whatever you want to. OK, I'll get it together and PM it ASAP. I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:39 pm

Theophilus wrote:One thing I like about posting here is how we can go from talking politics, to talking cupcakes.

Very Happy
I know, Theophilus. It's fun here. You know what though, you should post a guy recipe in my recipe swap thread because guys are really good cooks. You must make something that you could share. The simplest things usually taste the yummiest. santa
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:55 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Theophilus wrote:One thing I like about posting here is how we can go from talking politics, to talking cupcakes.

Very Happy
I know, Theophilus. It's fun here. You know what though, you should post a guy recipe in my recipe swap thread because guys are really good cooks. You must make something that you could share. The simplest things usually taste the yummiest. santa

I can't cook I'm a guy

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:19 am

HotParadox wrote:
lisan23 wrote:I don't like lemon. But you should at least share how to get the filling in without ruining the cupcake. That way I could put chocolate pudding in the middle... mmmmm.
OK, I've been thinking about it and I don't think she would have minded if I gave you her recipe. But I won't post it. I will PM you it, because it really is special and a family secret. You don't have to use the lemon filling recipe, just fill it with whatever you want, even raspberry or blueberry jam or whatever you want to. OK, I'll get it together and PM it ASAP. I love you

I promise not to share it with anyone! I really don't make cupcakes very often anyway... I'm supposed to be dieting. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:08 am

Theophilus wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

Very Happy

I can't cook I'm a guy

Often guys cook better than women. I'm not one of them, but it does happen more than you think.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:20 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
Theophilus wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

Very Happy

I can't cook I'm a guy

Often guys cook better than women. I'm not one of them, but it does happen more than you think.

Right just like we are so good at matching a tie with our shoes, jacket, and socks at the same time.

I don't even know how to tie a tie.

Nor cook.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Bonvolio Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:34 am

HotParadox wrote:

Very Happy

Where is the recipe swap thread?
Sir Bonvolio
Sir Bonvolio

Male
Libra Cat
Number of posts : 315
Job/hobbies : Bar Manager
Humor : The darker the better
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Sir Bonvolio wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

Very Happy

Where is the recipe swap thread?
Ewww, yummy. Do I smell some Scones or Shepherd's Pie in the air? I love you
https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/general-chat-f2/recipe-swapshare-or-request-t17.htm?sid=a3ac5a65cb2aef146aef4ba75dbd3a87
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down