Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today's Rant - Poor Customer Service

+3
Big Slick
CarolinaHound
Cartoon Head
7 posters

Go down

Today's Rant - Poor Customer Service Empty Today's Rant - Poor Customer Service

Post by Cartoon Head Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am

I does my head in!

Esp when it comes from a major corporation.

I have had experience of internet providers happy to take your money, yet not so swift when it comes to assisting with problems.

I have had experience of telephone companies who mess you around, if there is a problem with your line.

Is it just me, or are we seeing a decline in standards of effieciency?

Getting something done, and done right, seems to be a hit and miss, even when you have paid in advance for the service.

Cartoon Head

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Today's Rant - Poor Customer Service Empty Re: Today's Rant - Poor Customer Service

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Yea, it's really going down hill. And what really tells me I'm going to get lousy help is calling and hearing that stupid recording. Ten minutes of pressing buttons and/or repeating my name and address to a machine, holding for ten or twenty more minutes just to find out I need to call another number to an Indian dude that I can't understand.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Today's Rant - Poor Customer Service Empty Re: Today's Rant - Poor Customer Service

Post by Cartoon Head Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:49 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Yea, it's really going down hill. And what really tells me I'm going to get lousy help is calling and hearing that stupid recording. Ten minutes of pressing buttons and/or repeating my name and address to a machine, holding for ten or twenty more minutes just to find out I need to call another number to an Indian dude that I can't understand.

I can.

Saves them paying wages to staff.

More buttons = more money saved for their directors, see?

Whoever said that privitisation led to better quality was wrong.

The number of complaints against ALL the internet companies here are equally staggering.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:09 pm

This is my all time favorite example of customer service.

http://media.putfile.com/Verizon-Bad-Math
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Maybe the fact that unemployment was low for quite some time, saw the drop in customer care? People knew they could quit, walk right into another job?

Not that way now, so the customer service may get better, oddly enough!

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:22 pm

Interesting topic... especially since I am one of the people you, eventually, get a hold of when you call in for service. (company name withheld) Smile

Here it is from "the other side of the phone"

1. Know why you are calling.
2. You do not know everything... if you did you wouldn't be calling.
3. Let the rep do their job.
4. The customer IS NOT always right... listen, you might learn something.
5. If you call up cussing and insulting the rep you are running the risk of having the call terminated (yes, we can end the call).
6. We don't like the automated systems either.
7. We ask questions to help us understand YOUR issue. Help us to help you... answer the question.
8. We want to help you... NOT hear your life story.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon
Number of posts : 577
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:40 pm

PaulM wrote:Interesting topic... especially since I am one of the people you, eventually, get a hold of when you call in for service. (company name withheld) Smile

Here it is from "the other side of the phone"

1. Know why you are calling.
2. You do not know everything... if you did you wouldn't be calling.
3. Let the rep do their job.
4. The customer IS NOT always right... listen, you might learn something.
5. If you call up cussing and insulting the rep you are running the risk of having the call terminated (yes, we can end the call).
6. We don't like the automated systems either.
7. We ask questions to help us understand YOUR issue. Help us to help you... answer the question.
8. We want to help you... NOT hear your life story.

So you're the one!!! Evil or Very Mad
hehehehe... Wink

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:15 am

Shoot him, CH! Very Happy

Seriously though, Paul, I appreciate what you are saying, however, I am now going to give you two examples, and you tell me if you think I was given good customer service.

1) The other week I bought a new cooker. Nothing flash, it was about $500, plus a supplement for delivery of the new cooker, connection, then taking your old one away. I paid the money. In advance. I was told that it would usually be delivered with ten days, and that I would get a call to tell me what day, and an approx time. Sure enough, the night before, I got a call. It confirmed that delivery etc would take place between 12-3pm. He arrived at half past ten. Just as well that I was in.

On arrival, the delivery guys told me they couldn't fit it. Why not? Because they were only delivery people, and the engineer should have tied his visit in with them. Except that he hadn't. So they left the new appliance here, and the old one, and off they went. They didn't even remove the packaging from the new one, let alone anything else.

The engineer did arrive. Several hours after the delivery guys, which meant I had to accomodate another day of my time to let them come back and take the old one away. He was one rude fecker. He refused to leave his van and come up, because he was scared that he would get a parking ticket. Hey, I hate to be picky, but shouldn't that be his and his companies problem, not mine, esp when there is a free car park, mins along the road? My g/f, she ended up (being soft that she is), agreed to go downstairs, and literally stand in minus temps, so that she could play lookout for his van.

Pathetic, imo

2) Which brings me to Royal Mail. They have a service called Royal Mail Special Delivery. This is the idea. I want to send you something which is guaranteed for next day delivery, before a specific time.

The service costs more, about $12, but at least it is 'guaranteed', and you get a track and trace number, so that both parties can keep abreast of where the parcel is.

Now, a couple of weeks ago, a fella sends me LIVESTOCK through the post, using this service (all totally legal, btw).

It was due to arrive at 1pm or before, on a Wed.

Wed came, as did 1pm, and nothing.

I went online, put in the track and trace number, and to be surprise, it told me that the item had been 'successfully delivered'.

Except that it hadn't. Rolling Eyes

Following many frustrating calls, I was told that there was nothing they could do about it for five days, even if it meant the animal dying. This happens a LOT with this service. That to me was unacceptable. The following day I rang back, and managed to get someone HONEST on the phone.

He was at least good enough to admit that the 'system we use is a joke', he went on to admit that 'no attempt has been made to deliver this, Steve', and that the package was sitting in a freezing cold depot, which I then had to take my time out, and three buses to go collect.

These examples are not a one off, mate, and, imo, there is too much inefficiency, esp from the larger companies, and this level of ineffieciency is what I find unacceptable.

Steve

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:08 pm

We have the same problems here with customer service or should we say the lack of it.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:14 am

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Shoot him, CH! Very Happy

Seriously though, Paul, I appreciate what you are saying, however, I am now going to give you two examples, and you tell me if you think I was given good customer service.

1) The other week I bought a new cooker. Nothing flash, it was about $500, plus a supplement for delivery of the new cooker, connection, then taking your old one away. I paid the money. In advance. I was told that it would usually be delivered with ten days, and that I would get a call to tell me what day, and an approx time. Sure enough, the night before, I got a call. It confirmed that delivery etc would take place between 12-3pm. He arrived at half past ten. Just as well that I was in.

On arrival, the delivery guys told me they couldn't fit it. Why not? Because they were only delivery people, and the engineer should have tied his visit in with them. Except that he hadn't. So they left the new appliance here, and the old one, and off they went. They didn't even remove the packaging from the new one, let alone anything else.

The engineer did arrive. Several hours after the delivery guys, which meant I had to accomodate another day of my time to let them come back and take the old one away. He was one rude fecker. He refused to leave his van and come up, because he was scared that he would get a parking ticket. Hey, I hate to be picky, but shouldn't that be his and his companies problem, not mine, esp when there is a free car park, mins along the road? My g/f, she ended up (being soft that she is), agreed to go downstairs, and literally stand in minus temps, so that she could play lookout for his van.

Pathetic, imo

2) Which brings me to Royal Mail. They have a service called Royal Mail Special Delivery. This is the idea. I want to send you something which is guaranteed for next day delivery, before a specific time.

The service costs more, about $12, but at least it is 'guaranteed', and you get a track and trace number, so that both parties can keep abreast of where the parcel is.

Now, a couple of weeks ago, a fella sends me LIVESTOCK through the post, using this service (all totally legal, btw).

It was due to arrive at 1pm or before, on a Wed.

Wed came, as did 1pm, and nothing.

I went online, put in the track and trace number, and to be surprise, it told me that the item had been 'successfully delivered'.

Except that it hadn't. Rolling Eyes

Following many frustrating calls, I was told that there was nothing they could do about it for five days, even if it meant the animal dying. This happens a LOT with this service. That to me was unacceptable. The following day I rang back, and managed to get someone HONEST on the phone.

He was at least good enough to admit that the 'system we use is a joke', he went on to admit that 'no attempt has been made to deliver this, Steve', and that the package was sitting in a freezing cold depot, which I then had to take my time out, and three buses to go collect.

These examples are not a one off, mate, and, imo, there is too much inefficiency, esp from the larger companies, and this level of ineffieciency is what I find unacceptable.

Steve
I agree... the appliance delivery/set-up was botched from the beginning. It was poorly organized and executed. The dispatcher should have called you to let you know the delivery was going to be early or kept it within the originally agreed upon time frame... and the installer/engineer should have been included to make the experience as seemless as possible. IMO fault lies with the supervisory team who coordinated the delivery.

The postal service deliverws 'livestock'??? Did you have a cow delivered? Laughing
Sounds like they should get out of that line of work.

My point is that many, if not all, "customers" expect instant service and for everything to go their way... regardless of policies and it just doesn't happen. As a result... customer service reps get a bad rap. Sure there are bad experiences and bad reps, but there are just as many bad customers.
Case in point... I had a customer call yesterday claiming she was being billed twice for a charge... that she would make a, let's say, $50.00 payment last month and that this month she was being charged for it. What she was doing was seeing the payment posted on her statement and claiming that it was a charge. NO matter what I said or how I described it to her she would not accept that it was simply her payment shown as being posted... even when we were both looking at the same statement and I would add it up for her. She ended up disconnecting in a huff...
Did I do anything wrong because she was a total idiot? No. All I did was tell her the truth, as diplomatically as possible and a number different of times. I just didn't tell her what she wanted to hear.
So you see... while bad customer service does happen... it's a two-way street.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 am

Hi Paul,

Appreciate what you are saying.

When I have an enquiry, I try to remain as calm as possible, and even sort of befriend the person on the phone, after all, it is just a job they are doing, and most likely it is not a very rewarding one. However, all I ask when making an enquiry, or complaint, is that the other person tells me what they CAN do, rather than what they CANNOT.

Re the livestock.

No.

Not a cow. Laughing

I keep inverts.

Scorpions, Tarantula's, and various other 'exotics'.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 am

Were the bugs frozen? Dead? Frozen dead? Suspect
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:00 pm

They were alive, thanfully.

There were some hard to get specimens among them, so it was not the money, it was the welfare of the creatures.

I love nature and such.

I love you

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Paul, being a CS rep, I'd really like to hear yor take on the link I posted earlier from Verizon.
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Big Slick wrote:Paul, being a CS rep, I'd really like to hear yor take on the link I posted earlier from Verizon.
I heard most of it, biggie, and I cannot believe how much patience this guy had explaining simple math to these idiots. Especially that one lady; she understood, she just didn't care.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:23 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:

Re the livestock.

No.

Not a cow. Laughing

I keep inverts.

Scorpions, Tarantula's, and various other 'exotics'.
Hmm. Livestock, but not a cow, yet other exotics? Like sheep? Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:40 pm

Lol.

A sheep isn't very exotic.

I have kept trap door spiders, praying mantids, assasin bugs, you name it, I've had it.

*Apart from the sheep*

Very Happy

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Play some silly music and add a stripper pole and you got an exotic sheep. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:56 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Lol.

A sheep isn't very exotic.

I have kept trap door spiders, praying mantids, assasin bugs, you name it, I've had it.

*Apart from the sheep*

Very Happy

Oh.

My bad.

I thought you said erotic.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jigglepete Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:05 pm

Great, thanks a lot...After that exchange, I think I need to change my undies...And I'm at work... Shocked

jigglepete

Male
Gemini Snake
Number of posts : 162
Job/hobbies : Gardening/GARdening
Humor : Some think yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:08 pm

Today's Rant - Poor Customer Service Ewe

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:18 pm

jigglepete wrote:Great, thanks a lot...After that exchange, I think I need to change my undies...And I'm at work... Shocked
I don't know if I should say you're welcome or I'm sorry! Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:18 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Today's Rant - Poor Customer Service Ewe
Is that one of your ex's? Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Believe it or not there are people who love their pets.

I don't mean love them.

I mean lurrrrrrrrrrve them. Shocked

In a bad way.

The human species truly is a curious one, huh?

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:54 pm

My only question would be, how could any creatuare as intellegent as we seem to be, actually be so stupid at the same time?

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Old Timer wrote:My only question would be, how could any creatuare as intellegent as we seem to be, actually be so stupid at the same time?

Is a sexual deviation toward animals actually 'stupid' though?

It might be many things, but I would not have thought 'stupid' to be one of them.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:16 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:
Old Timer wrote:My only question would be, how could any creatuare as intellegent as we seem to be, actually be so stupid at the same time?

Is a sexual deviation toward animals actually 'stupid' though?

It might be many things, but I would not have thought 'stupid' to be one of them.

What else would you call someone that would build such weapons of such mass destruction power.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:01 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Believe it or not there are people who love their pets.

I don't mean love them.

I mean lurrrrrrrrrrve them. Shocked

In a bad way.

The human species truly is a curious one, huh?
I know.
That's what I was alluding to, with you and your "livestock", all along.
I mean do I really know you? No.
Anything is possible. cat monkey 🐶 elephant rendeer pig affraid geek
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:34 pm

Sadly anything is not possible.

As any man will tell you, if they are being honest.

Wink

*whistles*

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:46 am

Big Slick wrote:Paul, being a CS rep, I'd really like to hear yor take on the link I posted earlier from Verizon.

I listened to part of it and cut it off... I deal with that stuff for 10 hrs per day. The supervisor lost control of the call from the start. He should have went straight for the problem. Identify the problem... run the 'problem' through a comparison with company policies relating to it... resolve the problem. Most issues are clear and concise... not rocket science.
PaulM
PaulM

Male
Aquarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down