Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request

+7
Sir Bonvolio
Americanadian
PaulM
Peregrine(Endangered)
CarolinaHound
Old Timer
HotParadox
11 posters

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 Empty Re: RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:55 am

OT's Better Half wrote:I found this spinach recipe for all spinach lovers. Long live Popeye!!

Wilted Spinach Salad...

Brilliant! No cooking involved so all the vitamins remain intact. Thanks, Linda. xov
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:47 am

Now you know why I maried this old gal huh. Of course I had to teach her how to cook first. but when I did I found out I had created a monster. Now she tries to out cook me. We love our little contests to see which one of us can be the most creative.So tonight I am going to create a Pineapple teriyaki meatloaf with fried onions and mushrooms. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 am

Old Timer wrote:Now you know why I maried this old gal huh. Of course I had to teach her how to cook first. but when I did I found out I had created a monster. Now she tries to out cook me. We love our little contests to see which one of us can be the most creative.So tonight I am going to create a Pineapple teriyaki meatloaf with fried onions and mushrooms. Very Happy
Hahaha, I bet she taught you! Go back a couple of posts, just in case you missed my post to you about your rib recipe! I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:28 am

I saw it. I just hope that you like them. By baking them uncovered the ribs will take on a thick black topping that is really good. It is just the sauce but it is not burnt. But that is also up to the individuial taste also. And I have been cooking since I have been about 8 years old. I taught her the basics and then turned her loose. As a young vagabond that used to run the streets pretty much as a kid and go into all of the other kids homes to eat and being in the emmigrant section as well, I soon began to pick up a lot just by watching their moms cook. I just kind of developed a knack for it . You could name the nationality and we had it there. Now those were the days my dear. The only way to get food like that today is to cook it your self and yes I do have a lot of kitchen equipment. Laughing

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:02 pm

But do you have the two quart Gelato Pro by Lello? Very Happy

http://www.1-800-espresso.com/gelato-pro-4090.html
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:08 pm

HotParadox wrote:But do you have the two quart Gelato Pro by Lello? Very Happy

http://www.1-800-espresso.com/gelato-pro-4090.html

No, but I did have a similar one that I gave away because I was no longer using it and besides I needed to lose some weight (still do).

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 Empty CHEDDAR DILL CORNBREAD

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:56 pm

Here is a new twist on cornbread...I obsolutely love fresh dill...I grow it..I love the smell and I use it whenever I can in recipes.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
1 cup minced fresh dill
Directions
Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar and the dill, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 29804
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:03 pm

Peregrine wrote:Here is a new twist on cornbread...I obsolutely love fresh dill...I grow it..I love the smell and I use it whenever I can in recipes.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
1 cup minced fresh dill
Directions
Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar and the dill, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 29804
I guess I have the Super Bowl on my mind because as soon as I read the recipe, I thought this would go great with the chili and ribs I'm making for the game tomorrow. I adore dill, too. I have never grown it, but you've inspired me to grow some this summer. Thanks!
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:28 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Peregrine wrote:Here is a new twist on cornbread...I obsolutely love fresh dill...I grow it..I love the smell and I use it whenever I can in recipes.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
1 cup minced fresh dill
Directions

I guess I have the Super Bowl on my mind because as soon as I read the recipe, I thought this would go great with the chili and ribs I'm making for the game tomorrow. I adore dill, too. I have never grown it, but you've inspired me to grow some this summer. Thanks!

I also make a cornbread with cheese, but I like to use smoked or smokey Gruyere instead. It has a really unique flavor and I use it on grilled cheese to.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 am

Old Timer wrote:
I also make a cornbread with cheese, but I like to use smoked or smokey Gruyere instead. It has a really unique flavor and I use it on grilled cheese to.
Good idea, OT. I love Gruyere!

Your ribs and chili are to die for. The best, no doubt. Yummy! Thank you for the recipes! I love you

P.S. I think Linda invented these recipes and not you. Suspect
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:36 am

HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
Good idea, OT. I love Gruyere!

Your ribs and chili are to die for. The best, no doubt. Yummy! Thank you for the recipes! I love you

P.S. I think Linda invented these recipes and not you. Suspect

Well now my dear HP, I really am glad that you guys liked the chili and ribs. Nope she didn't.

Would you believe that grilled onions go really great on a grilled ham and cheese also.

Lindas favorite grilled sandwich.

And yes HP she created this one.

cut and dice medium onion into small pieces.
add a tablespoon of butter of olive oil to skillet along with about 2 or so tablespons of worchester sauce and a teaspoon of soy sauce.
add onions and cook until ligfhtly browned
remove from skillet and set aside.

in small bowl place one cup of butter or margarine
add one tablespoon of sweet basil
add two tablespoons of crushed garlic and mix well

Butter one side of bread ( any kind ) and place on cold skillet
add one slice of baby swiss cheese
add shaved ham
add some of the grilled onions
add one slie of sharp cheddar cheese
place bread on top butter side up.
now turn on burner. This way is so much easier than trying to get it all on a hot skillet right away and usually making a mess.
grill each side until golden brown

I usually make four of them in my flat griddle skillet at one time---***Enjoy***

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:56 am

I know that the ribs and chili are your recipes and you rock in the kitchen. Very Happy

Tell Linda thank you for her creations. The onions and the sammy are really unusual and sound great. You guys should be TV chefs!!!
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:58 pm

HotParadox wrote:I know that the ribs and chili are your recipes and you rock in the kitchen. Very Happy

Tell Linda thank you for her creations. The onions and the sammy are really unusual and sound great. You guys should be TV chefs!!!

Why thank you very much from both of us. But in reality we just wish that we were that good.

II was once told that all cooking was, is imagination and trial and error. I found that to be very true, but of course a little common sense helps to.

One of these days I will have to post my onion soup recipe

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:13 pm

Old Timer wrote:
Ewooo! The waiting is the hardest part.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:46 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

You mean that you like onion soup also??

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:34 pm

Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

We love onion soup, especially with a toasted baguette slice and melted Gruyere cheese on top, well-browned, please.

I have a recipe, but the base is beef bullion or commercial stock. silent
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:10 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

We love onion soup, especially with a toasted baguette slice and melted Gruyere cheese on top, well-browned, please.

Well I use the dump method and nothing is measured. It is all just about that much measurments. I don't really have a base or use a recipe but I can try and put it down for you if you want it.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

Well I use the dump method and nothing is measured. It is all just about that much measurments. I don't really have a base or use a recipe but I can try and put it down for you if you want it.
Don't knock yourself out. If you give me a little bit of info, I can try and wing it. But don't go crazy trying to figure out your recipe. I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 am

Well OK, here goes.

OT's
World famous home made Onion Soup

When I make this soup I never measure anything. That was the way I learned to cook. I have always thought that a recipe was a really good guide line for the first time or two but after that you should be able to make your own adjustments to suit your own taste and style of cooking.

Here is a famous quote ( by me of course )

Cooking is nothing more than imagination and trial and error.

Place one full stick of real butter in an 8 quart stock pot
Spices should be fresh, if not crush them a bit before adding to pot.
add 1 tablespoon of thyme
add 1 tablespoon of rosemary
add 1 teaspoon of sea salt
add 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
add 1 cup of white wine ( set aside one cup of wine for sipping )
add 1/4 cup of worchester shire sauce
add 1/8 cup of soy sauce
heat over slow heat until butter is melted and let sit for about 1/2 hour for the spices to meld a little.

Peel and slice 5 to 7 onions and put in pot with liquids. I usually use a combination of all of them, red, white, yellow, spanish and sweet. Slices should be about 1 to 2 inches in length.

Over medium heat cook onions until tender and throughly incorporated with sauce.
add in 6 to 7 qts of water and simmer, stiring and tasting until the desired taste is aquired.

add in croutons and shredded cheese of your choice I use either mozzeralla or gruyere and salt to taste.

TIP: If you cook this a day ahead and place it in the frig overnight, not only will it taste better as it will meld more, but the grease from the butter will float to the top and harden and can be removed easily. This will not affect the taste either.

As everyone's taste is differtent you will have to adjust it to suit your own taste. Sometimes I will add in some beef base to make a stronger flavor but the above will get you a fairly good soup with a few adjustments for your own taste.

Last edited by Old Timer on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Old Timer wrote:Well OK, here goes.

OT's
World famous home made Onion Soup

When I make this soup I never measure anything. That was the way I learned to cook. I have always thought that a recipe was a really good guide line for the first time or two but after that you should be able to make your own adjustments to suit your own taste and style of cooking.

Here is a famous quote ( by me of course )

Cooking is nothing more than imagination and trial and error.

Place one full stick of real butter in an 8 quart stock pot
Spices should be fresh, if not crush them a bit before adding to pot.
add 1 tablespoon of thyme
add 1 tablespoon of rosemary
add 1 teaspoon of sea salt
add 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
add 1 cup of white wine ( set aside one cup of wine for sipping )
add 1/4 cup of worchester shire sauce
add 1/8 cup of soy sauce
heat over slow heat until butter is melted and let sit for about 1/2 hour for the spices to meld a little.

Peel and slice 5 to 7 onions and put in pot with liquids. I usually use a combination of all of them, red, white, yellow, spanish and sweet. Slices should be about 1 to 2 inches in length.

Over medium heat cook onions until tender and throughly incorporated with sauce.
add in 6 to 7 qts of water and simmer, stiring and tasting unstil the desired taste is aquired.

add in croutons and shredded cheese of your choice I use either mozzeralla or gruyere and salt to taste.

TIP: If you cook this a day ahead and place it in the frig overnight, not only will it taste better as it will meld more, but the grease from the butter will float to the top and harden and can be removed easily. This will not affect the taste either.

As everyone's taste is differtent you will have to adjust it to suit your own taste. Sometimes I will add in some beef base to make a stronger flavor but the above will get you a fairly good soup with a few adjustments for your own taste.
I'm not gonna lie. This is THE best recipe for onion soup that I have ever come across, and I've come across alot of them.

Thank you, OT. This one's a jewel.

xov I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 Empty Old Timer's Chili Is Here!

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:09 pm

OT's awesome chili recipe has not yet been posted on this site. I thought I would post it for all of you.

OT's MALE CHAUVINIST CHILI

6 slices of bacon
10 oz hamburger
10 oz hot Italian Sausage cut in one inch slices
1 large Spanish onion cut into chunks
1 Bell Pepper cut into pieces
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup of dark red wine
1 teaspoon of hot dry mustard
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 15 oz can of kidney beans
1 15 oz can of pinto beans
1/2 jalapeno chili pepper diced
1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of celery seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper
6 cups of Italian tomatoes

DIRECTIONS

Brown bacon in pot you are going to make chili in 5 1/2 quart or bigger dutch oven.

drain, crumble bacon and set aside. Pour fat from pot.

Brown sausage and set aside with bacon. Pour sausage fat from pot.

Fry hamburger, drain and set aside with other meats.

Cook onion, pepper, garlic and chili pepper on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in wine and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Stir in dry mustard, celery seeds, chili powder, salt and black pepper and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Mash tomatoes and add with liquid and meats to what is in the pot.

Heat to boiling and reduce heat and simmer covered for 1/2 hour stirring occasionally.

Reduce heat and cove and simmer for 1 more hour stirring occasionally.

This recipe is best made a day ahead and reheated as the flavors will meld to their best.

Enjoy.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 Empty Old Timer's Pie Recipes

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Pie recipes from OT, not previously posted on this site:

From OT:
OK here are a few for the not so faint of heart. I got these recipes from an old cowboy cookbook. This is what they used to feed the men on some of the cattle drives.

Blackbird Pie

12 Blackbirds or any small game birds, bones intact ( I used Cornish rock hens)
1 cup of diced salt pork
2 cups of sliced potatoes
1 large onion chopped
3 whole cloves
1/4 cup of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of browned flour
2 tablespoons of butter
pastry crust

Directions

Dress and clean the birds and split each in half.
place in stew pan with water and boil skimming off scum.
Add a sprinkling of pepper, parsley, onion and cloves and then add pork and boil until meat is tender, about an hour. During the last half hour add the potatoes.

Thicken broth with flour and boil for a few minutes. Add one tablespoon of the butter, mix and remove from the fire.

Grease baking dish with remaining butter and put in baking dish alternate layers of bird and potatoes and moistening each layer with broth.

Cover with pastry crust and slit crust in several places. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees or until browned and them lower heat to 75 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes.

Vinegar pie

Believe it or not you cannot tell the difference between this and real lemon pie once you get the right amount of vinegar in. I have fooled a lot of my friends with this one.

1 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of flour (or approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch for a clear filling)
1 cup of cold water
4 eggs beaten
4 to 5 tablespoons of white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons of butter
yellow food coloring (a few drops until mixture is lemon colored)

Directions

Combine sugar and flour. Add the rest of the ingredients and place in a sauce pan. Cook until thick and pour into a prepared pie crust.

Bake in a 375 degree oven until the crust is brown.

Red Bean Pie

1 cup of cooked and mashed pinto beans.
1 cup of sugar
3 egg yolks beaten
1 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of nutmeg

Directions

Combine ingredients and place in uncooked pie crust.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until set.

Make meringue with leftover egg whites. Spread on pie and brown in oven.

-----------------------------
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:51 pm

This is for all Italian food lovers

Pepperoni Pizza Twists

3 cups all purpose flour, divided (you may need a little more or less depending on your altitude)
1 package fast-rising yeast
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon crushed fennel
1 to 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup very warm water, 120 to 130 deg
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg
3 to 4 ounces of finely chopped pepperoni

In a large bowl, combine 1 3/4 cups flour, undisolved yeast, Italian seasoning, salt, crushed fennel, crushed garlic. Stir water, olive oil, pepperoni into the dry ingredients. Stir in egg and enough remaining flour to make a soft pliable dough that isn't sticky. Cover, let rest 10 min. Lightly flour the counter and roll out
dough till it's about 1/4 inch thick. Then cut dough into strips about 1/2 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long. Twist each strip and place on baking sheet about 1
inch apart. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let rise in warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in size, about 15 to 30 minutes. Bake at 400 deg till light golden
brown. (O.T. didn't use a timer. He just kept an eye on it. He also used a stand mixer to mix the dough with the bread hook.)

Variation: Before baking, lightly brush the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with grated parmesan. Serve with you favorite pizza sauce.

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:13 am

Those sound great, OTBH. Nice finger food for the kids and their friends. And the adults, too. Yum!
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:49 am

HotParadox wrote:Those sound great, OTBH. Nice finger food for the kids and their friends. And the adults, too. Yum!

She does make her own sauce for those and it is good to but I really bet she can't get it on paper. hehehehe Razz

and just for the record folks the old ball and chain aint immune here either. She is on her own.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 Empty I seriously want to try this

Post by HotParadox Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Brewery 101 - Recipe for a Simple Homemade Beer

by P. M. Kerins, Jun 19, 2007
Anyone can make beer with this simple how-to guide.

Making alcohol at home is a simple process which need not involve the purchase of expensive home brew kits. The basic equipment and ingredients are cost-effective and relatively easy to acquire.

There are many factors which a professional brewer will consider when making a beer but this article deals only with the production of a very basic product, but a beer nonetheless.

I intend to cover more in-depth processes in later articles such as specific beer recipes, cider production, wine production and the manufacture and use of a simple home distillation device for the purpose of making spirits. So, without any more delay, let's get started.

First, we will deal with equipment. You will need:

* A large pot (around ten liters is ideal)
* A large sterile plastic pail (for this example, 10 gallon)
* A length of sterile hose

Ensure that all of the equipment is clean and sterile before use. The pot will be used to boil the ingredients and can be obtained from any shop selling cooking utensils, that is, if you don't already have something at home. It is always worth having a look in charity shops as the larger ones usually have a good selection of pots and pans at very reasonable prices, not to mention the fact that you are helping out your fellow man...or animal...depending on the charity.

Pails specifically designed for brewing are available in specialist stores and are quite inexpensive. The important factor to consider is that the container needs to be sterile, watertight and made of a material which will not contaminate the beer. I have had good results using a typical household dustbin but make sure that

* it's a NEW dustbin and
* that you wash it thoroughly after purchase otherwise your beer will taste like plastic.

The hosing will be used to siphon the beer into it's ultimate containers so this too needs to be made of a sterile material, ideally vinyl. This can be found in any self-respecting hardware store.

Now for the ingredients, you will need...

* Malt extract
* Yeast
* Sugar

I will say again, to make a beer with a more distinct character and greater depth of flavor, more ingredients are required but we are only concerned with simplicity and economy here. The malt extract and yeast are available from any specialist brewer outlet but many pharmacies stock these and they can also be found in large supermarkets. If you can't find sugar, you might as well give up now.

Now try to put these things to use and you will be happy to learn that this is only slightly more difficult than finding sugar and easier than cooking a tasty Bolognese sauce from scratch. Again, for those of you with difficulty obtaining sugar, ready-made beer is available in taverns and licensed premises all over the world.

* First, pour about 10 liters of fresh, clean water into the pail. Tap water is fine but bottled mineral water will yield a purer beer.
* Bring 7 liters of water to the boil in your pot and add a can of malt extract. Stir the mixture uncovered for about 20 minutes. Malt extract usually comes in 40oz cans, which is sufficient for this project but if you prefer a richer beer, you can use more.
* Add 6-7 cups of white sugar and stir until it has dissolved.
* Once the sugar has dissolved, quickly chuck the mixture into the pail. The more violent this action, the better as it traps bubbles of air which aid the fermentation process, but try not to make too much of a mess.
* Top up the pail using clean water until the mix reaches room temperature, about 22 degrees Celsius, then sprinkle a teaspoon of yeast and stir well.
* Once you are happy that the brew is well mixed, lightly cover the pail and leave the mix to ferment for about 10-12 days at a temperature of around 20 degrees Celsius. It is important from now on to avoid agitating the beer. Avoid any knocks or movement of the liquid or you will end up with a cloudy beer, swimming with sediment.
* After this time, use the hydrometer to check the readiness of the beer (the reading should be between 1.009 and 1.012). If, after two or three readings, you aren't satisfied, just leave the mix for another couple of days and try again. In the absence of a hydrometer, you can just taste-test making sure that it isn't sweet-tasting.

At this point, you are ready to bottle the beer. You can use a normal screw-cap bottle for this but the best ones, at least aesthetically, are the glass bottles with the old Grolsch-style stoppers.

* Place two teaspoons of sugar in each bottle.
* Using the tubing, siphon the beer from the pail ensuring that you do not siphon any sediment. Make sure you leave a sizable gap for in each bottle.
* Cap the bottle securely, turn it upside down and shake to dissolve the sugar.
* Leave the bottles in a warm area for two or three days then move them to a dark, cool place for storage. The beer should be ready to drink after another couple of days, but the longer you leave it, the better it will taste.

And it's as easy as that folks, all it takes is a little time, money and patience and you can officially call yourself a brewer and what better way to celebrate the fact with a tasty homemade beer?
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 am

glug, glug, glug Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:07 am

Sizzlin' Five-Spice Beef or chicken:

Heat 1/3 cup vegetable oil in large skillet or wok over high heat.

Add 3 pounds round steak or chicken cut in 2-inch thin strips, and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes.

Add 2 (4-oz.) cans mushrooms, drained, 2 red bell peppers, cut in 2-inch strips, and 1 tablespoon McCormick Chinese Five Spice. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

Place 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and 1/3 cup cold water in a small bowl and mix well. Pour over meat and cook, stirring, until sauce is clear and thickened. Serve, sizzling hot, over hot, cooked rice.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:05 pm

That sounds good. Maybe I'll make that for dinner and toss in some broccoli and snow peas. Sounds like a quick recipe, which is what I need tonight.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:02 pm

HotParadox wrote:That sounds good. Maybe I'll make that for dinner and toss in some broccoli and snow peas. Sounds like a quick recipe, which is what I need tonight.

I am using it with chicken tonight with rice and vegies Very Happy

Last night I used it with some grated carrots, bell peppers, onions and mushrooms seved over brown rice and I had made extra sauce and it was really great. Trick is to NOT put in to much of the five spice as it will ruin the flavor.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:54 pm

RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 Pastry-chef

STAYING IN MY ITALIAN MODE...HERE IS A REALLY GOOD ITALIAN DESERT

(GELATO AL CIOCCOLATO)

Ingredients2 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
2 1/4 cups whole milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup minus 2 tablespoons superfine granulated sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 large egg yolks

Preparation: Coarsely chop chocolate. In a 2-quart heavy saucepan bring milk, cream, and about half of sugar just to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add cocoa powder and chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Have ready a large bowl of ice and cold water. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat yolks and remaining sugar until thick and pale. Add hot chocolate mixture in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into saucepan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170°F. (Do not let boil.) Pour custard through a sieve into a metal bowl set in ice and cold water and cool. Chill custard, covered, until set..Enjoy!!
[
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:56 am

Peregrine wrote:RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 Pastry-chef

STAYING IN MY ITALIAN MODE...HERE IS A REALLY GOOD ITALIAN DESERT

(GELATO AL CIOCCOLATO)

Ingredients2 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
2 1/4 cups whole milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup minus 2 tablespoons superfine granulated sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 large egg yolks

Preparation: Coarsely chop chocolate. In a 2-quart heavy saucepan bring milk, cream, and about half of sugar just to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add cocoa powder and chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Have ready a large bowl of ice and cold water. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat yolks and remaining sugar until thick and pale. Add hot chocolate mixture in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into saucepan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170°F. (Do not let boil.) Pour custard through a sieve into a metal bowl set in ice and cold water and cool. Chill custard, covered, until set..Enjoy!!
[
That sounds g-o-o-o-d! Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

RECIPE SWAP:Share or Request - Page 3 Empty Indian Style Rainbow Trout

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Indian Style Rainbow Trout Recipe

small lake or rainbow trout;
larger brookies if available!

Fresh corn with the husks (at least one for each trout)

onion,tomato,lemon.

Oil or butter as you please!

Oregano,salt pepper

chives or dillweed,or both!
To taste as you please!

----------------------------

1. Dice onion and saute with some fat until soft.

2. Thinly slice tomatoes and slice lemons.

3. Husk corn carefully to let you remove the cob & still retain the husk intact,remove silk.

4. Then toss tomatoes&spices into thepan w/ the onions and warm them up.

5. Stuff the fish with this as they lay in the corn husks,lemon slices on top or inside the fish.

6. Use heavy twine or kitchen string to fasten the husks around the fish,maybe the husks themselves can be used as string, if the're wet enough.

7. Lay them on the grill or the coals,and cook 'til done!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:46 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Indian Style Rainbow Trout Recipe

small lake or rainbow trout;
larger brookies if available!

Fresh corn with the husks (at least one for each trout)

onion,tomato,lemon.

Oil or butter as you please!

Oregano,salt pepper

chives or dillweed,or both!
To taste as you please!

----------------------------

1. Dice onion and saute with some fat until soft.

2. Thinly slice tomatoes and slice lemons.

3. Husk corn carefully to let you remove the cob & still retain the husk intact,remove silk.

4. Then toss tomatoes&spices into thepan w/ the onions and warm them up.

5. Stuff the fish with this as they lay in the corn husks,lemon slices on top or inside the fish.

6. Use heavy twine or kitchen string to fasten the husks around the fish,maybe the husks themselves can be used as string, if the're wet enough.

7. Lay them on the grill or the coals,and cook 'til done!
I am of the school of thought that the most simple of recipes produce the most wonderful and fresh dishes. Thanks for this great recipe, doggieboy. I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:39 pm

I make Apple Crisp a lot because Apple Crisp and Apple Pie are the children's favorite desserts.
I recently discovered this recipe and it's the easiest and most delicious Apple Crisp recipe I have ever tasted.
I used unpeeled, Macintosh apples.

From "Weathertop Mountain Inn, Bed and Breakfast Lodge" in Waitsfield, Vermont

Specialty Recipe:

Weathertop Apple Crisp
Preheat oven to 375F.

Ingredients
4 cups unpeeled or peeled Macintosh or Granny Smith apple slices (4 large apples)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup Quaker Oats
1/2 cup butter (softened but still firm)
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Arrange apple slices in a greased 9 x 9-inch pan. Combine the other ingredients with your fingers until crumbly (or use a pasty cutter, but not a machine). Sprinkle over apples and do not press down on the topping. Bake 375 about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves:9

I used 8 unpeeled Macintosh apples, and doubled all the other ingredients; 13x9x2 inch dish about 45 minutes. Serves:15

Let Crisp sit at least 15 minutes, so topping will crisp-up nicely. We like our Apple Crisp and Apple Pie served with a splash of "half and half" or light cream. Never with whipped cream or ice cream. I learned of this at a friend's home in England before I had children. The hostess passed around a lovely pitcher filled with fresh cream and I couldn't resist. Now this charming tradition is a must in our home, too.

Enjoy,
Hot I love you
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 pm

That really sounds good. It also just shot my blood sugar up 20 points just reading about it. Aint being a diabetic fun? Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Old Timer wrote:That really sounds good. It also just shot my blood sugar up 20 points just reading about it. Aint being a diabetic fun? Very Happy
My condolences. Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:That really sounds good. It also just shot my blood sugar up 20 points just reading about it. Aint being a diabetic fun? Very Happy
My condolences. Very Happy

the heck with the condolences, I want some of that apple crisp. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:08 pm

That's the spirit! Hey, it takes 10 minutes to whip this thing up.. no peeling!..no machine!.. and another 30 to bake it. You'll be crispin' it before you go to bed if you hurry up now! pig

Last edited by HotParadox on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:26 pm

HotParadox wrote:That's the spirit! Hey, it takes 10 minutes to whip this thing up.. no peeling!..no machine!.. and another 30 to bake it. You'll be crispin' it before you go to bed if you hurray up now! pig

In this case the spirit is all to willing but the flesh really knows better. So I sits and drools at the thought of it. Crying or Very sad

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next