Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama says CEOs bonuses are Shameful

5 posters

Go down

Obama says CEOs bonuses are Shameful Empty Obama says CEOs bonuses are Shameful

Post by luciano Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:26 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/29/AR2009012903727.html?hpid=topnews

Its a nice thing to say and I applaud Obama for it, but these greedy bastards will find a way to get their money.

President Decries 'Shameful' Bonuses For Wall St. CEOs

President Obama yesterday scolded Wall Street bankers who received millions of dollars in bonuses last year, calling the payouts "shameful" and chiding the executives for a lack of personal responsibility at a precarious time for the nation's economy.

"There will be time for them to make profits, and there will be time for them to get bonuses," the clearly irritated president said. "Now's not that time. And that's a message that I intend to send directly to them."

Obama's comments came on the same day that the Democratic chairman of the Senate Banking Committee threatened to bring before his committee any Wall Street executives who take big bonuses after their firms are propped up with public money.

"Whether it was used directly or indirectly, this infuriates the American people and rightly so," said Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.). "So I say to anyone else who does it: If you do it, I'm going to bring you before the committee."

The president said he was reacting to a New York Times report about Wall Street executives who had given themselves almost $20 billion in bonuses in 2008, the same amount they received collectively during the much more bullish 2004.

The article was based on a report by the New York state comptroller's office that said last year's total of Wall Street bonuses was the sixth-highest ever, despite the poor economic performance of the firms.

"Part of what we are going to need is for folks on Wall Street, who are asking for help, to show some restraint and show some discipline and show some sense of responsibility," Obama said as he ended a private meeting with Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner.

"The American people understand that we've got a big hole that we've got to dig ourselves out of," Obama said. "But they don't like that people are digging a bigger hole even as they are being asked to fill it up."

Obama had already been critical of executives who take big bonuses and companies that make big purchases. Last week, he directed Geithner to call Citigroup to express the administration's displeasure at the struggling company's impending purchase of a $50 million jet.

"We shouldn't have to do that, because they should know better," Obama said, sounding more like a frustrated schoolmarm than a president. "We will continue to send that message loud and clear."

A day earlier, however, Obama passed up a chance to send that message publicly.

The president stood with 13 CEOs in the East Room of the White House on Wednesday to push for congressional passage of his $816 billion stimulus package. He talked broadly about personal responsibility but did not specifically refer to excessive pay, even though several of the executives have made many millions of dollars a year.

Samuel J. Palmisano, chief executive of International Business Machines, made $24.35 million in 2007, the last year for which numbers were compiled by Forbes. That included $5.8 million in bonuses. David M. Cote, the CEO of Honeywell International, earned $6.23 million, including $4.2 million in bonuses.

"Part of what led our economy to this perilous moment was a sense of irresponsibility that prevailed from Wall Street to Washington," Obama said after the closed-door meeting. "That's why I called for a new era of responsibility in my inaugural address last week."

Participants in the meeting described it as a round-robin discussion in which the president asked all of the CEOs to describe their sense of the economy and to explain how their own businesses might be helped by the stimulus package.

Michael R. Splinter, chief executive of Applied Materials, a Silicon Valley company best known for building machinery that makes computer chips, said in an interview after the meeting that the president did not raise his concerns about executive compensation.

"We really didn't get off into any side things about car-company guys taking jets or stuff like that," Splinter said. "I mean, because he knows that, you know, we're all working hard to improve our companies, and if we improve our companies it will be a big part of the economy improving. A lot of the GDP was represented in the room today."

Obama "didn't raise his frustration, and we really stayed focused," Splinter added. "Once the press left, we really got down to business very fast."

Instead, Splinter described the meeting as a "candid" exchange about the struggles that some of the country's biggest businesses face. The core businesses for Applied Materials "have slowed down dramatically," Splinter said he told Obama, citing lower demand, lack of confidence and the tight credit market.

Obama aides said the president did mention the Citigroup jet purchase to the group and talked about the need for corporate responsibility.

"The president doesn't meet with CEOs where he doesn't talk about responsibility," press secretary Robert Gibbs said in his daily briefing with reporters. "They specifically talked about the jet purchase."
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2009-01-13

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Obama says CEOs bonuses are Shameful Empty Re: Obama says CEOs bonuses are Shameful

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:12 pm

PLEASE MR. PRESIDENT...WE NEED MORE THAN SHOW...ACTION NOT WORDS OR LACK OF WORDS PLEASE..NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT THOSE EXECUTIVE BONUSES WERE EXCESSIVE.
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Obama says CEOs bonuses are Shameful Empty Re: Obama says CEOs bonuses are Shameful

Post by HotParadox Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:25 am

Luciano wrote:Its a nice thing to say and I applaud Obama for it, but these greedy bastards will find a way to get their money.
Spot on, L. In one sentence, you hit a bulls eye and summed it all up.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by box86rowh Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:43 pm

I don't find bonuses offensive at all. Unless they are using the so called "bailout" money for it.
box86rowh
box86rowh

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:09 pm

[b]
box86rowh wrote:I don't find bonuses offensive at all. Unless they are using the so called "bailout" money for it.

ordinarily I wouldn't be bothered by it....these banks are the ones that gave out no down payment loans and it backfired and we had to bail them out...americans are losing jobs daily...if we have to sacrifice what makes them so special??? [/b
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by box86rowh Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 pm

They aren't "special", but who are we to say what a company can give their execs for bonuses?? Seems like it really is none of our business...don't forget the Senate routinely votes themselves raises. Even when Obama was in the senate...
box86rowh
box86rowh

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 pm

Normaly it's not our buisness. But if their company got bail-out money, it's our biz. And they need to get zip for failing.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by box86rowh Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:14 am

Exactly....if they are misusing the bailout money than lets nail em to the wall... Twisted Evil
box86rowh
box86rowh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down