Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Google Showing Political Bias with Search Results?

2 posters

Go down

Is Google Showing Political Bias with Search Results? Empty Is Google Showing Political Bias with Search Results?

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Favoring Positive Obama Results and Negative Bush Ones?

There are people who think Google is incorporating political bias into search results. As examples they use misspellings of George Bush and Barack Obama. Are the results of misspelled queries really something Google would take the time to specifically alter to inject their political beliefs though?
Search for Barack Aboma in Google and you will get a "Did you mean: barack obama" suggestion, and the top 2 results for Barack Obama:
You will just get stuff like Bush getting a shoe thrown at him and "George Busch is a Fascist" t-shirts.

This has led some to speculate that Google is showing its political bias. Top executives with the company were very open about supporting Barack Obama during his presidential campaign. Eric Schmidt even appeared in Obama's 30 minute infomercial. This surely only adds to the speculation.

"So what is this all about?" asks someone under the handle Discovery on Search Engine Watch's Forum. "Obama who Google endorses has all negative pictures, negative sites and negative videos completely removed and his self promoting website put in their place while at the same time George Busch has every single nasty photo, nasty attack site and video presented with NO alterations by Google's editors to direct searchers to what they deem a more relevant site?"

Is this what is really going on though? You may get the suggestion of a correct spelling with "Aboma," but there are still negative results in the "Aboma" listings. Stuff like "Will Barack Aboma Try To Destroy America?" Further more, if I search for George Bushl, I get a suggestion for "George Bush" and his top 2 results, which are links to his Wikipedia page and to the White House. And the George Bushl results aren't that bad either.
Barry Schwartz at Search Engine Roundtable, who makes it clear he doesn't think Google is doing any biasing, thinks it is more a bias of the American people and the results are simply a reflection of that. "But is there more going on?" he asks.

Perhaps Google just doesn't have its algorithm fine-tuned to eliminate political bias for every possible misspelling of every possible search. And frankly, they've probably got more important issues to worry about than providing the best results for erroneous searches. I personally would rather see them continue to improve search for correctly spelled queries.

Source: WebPro News

Story and screen shots at: http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/01/29/is-google-showing-political-bias-with-search-results

I did these searches and the results do seem to be what they say. But it is also possible that google tries to find the best results based on past searches from each computer. So results may vary. But I do think it is possible that they might do such a thing. People that have tried to get good ranking in google often argue that they are kind of shady in their methods anyway. I agree. CH

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Is Google Showing Political Bias with Search Results? Empty Re: Is Google Showing Political Bias with Search Results?

Post by Kazza Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:21 am

I doubt it's google that's politically biased. It's the internet as a whole.

Search results in google represent trends on the internet. If lots of people are talking about Obama and linking to pages that say bad stuff about Bush, then that's what will appear in the search results.

It's no secret that the Internet is far more left wing than right. That just reflects the demographic that is behind most it.
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Is Google Showing Political Bias with Search Results? Empty Re: Is Google Showing Political Bias with Search Results?

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:48 am

Yep, you are probably right. I might should get you to help me figure out google's spider algorithm so I can get better listings. hehehehehe lol! The way they change it though it might be be a full-time job even for a mighty man of math such as yourself. Wink

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down