Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lisa's Gratitude Cafe!

+4
Theophilus
Put It Out There Baby
HotParadox
lisan25
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lisa's Gratitude Cafe! Empty Lisa's Gratitude Cafe!

Post by lisan25 Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:24 pm

I hate to say it, but I am just not a depressed/depressing person. Ok, and no, I don't hate to say it. It's just not how I think. SOOOOO this thread is for fun and happy thoughts and fun music!

Afterall, Peter Pan was pretty clear... you have to think happy thoughts to fly.

I'm starting it off with my favorite song right now. It's from my favorite group. They kinda copied the Blues Brothers, so you HAVE to smile when you watch it.

Ooooh, and one more from my favorite artist. I had to edit and change the official name of this post to "Gratitude Cafe", thanks to Jason Mraz.

lisan25
lisan25

Female
Number of posts : 43
Job/hobbies : Job is taking care of the family. Hobbies? Reading, playing the piano, flute, and keeping up on politics.
Humor : I have none.
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Lisa's Gratitude Cafe! Empty Re: Lisa's Gratitude Cafe!

Post by lisan25 Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Lame, it won't let me change it to Gratitude Cafe.

Here's some funny clips from my favorite show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=aoMC7a30WIs
lisan25
lisan25

Female
Job/hobbies : Job is taking care of the family. Hobbies? Reading, playing the piano, flute, and keeping up on politics.

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:42 pm

These are great! Do you want me to edit the name of this thread for you to
Gratitude Cafe?
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by lisan25 Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:44 pm

That would be awesome! Thanks HP!
lisan25
lisan25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 pm

hmmm.....lisa! hang on...it's being temperamental/mental Smile

Yes! Success!!! cheers
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Great idea for a thread. While I am sure our tastes in music may differ here and there, music is a wonderful thing to share and enjoy. I am tired of drama and soap operas and it's great to see something happy and positive. Glad to see you here also.

And arguably one of the best songs ever...

lisan25
lisan25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lisan25 Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Oooh, I LOVE Do the Hustle! I haven't heard of Starbuck before but so far I like it. But I'm not big on the 80's. Lol there are a handful of songs I'll listen to and like, but for the most part... the 80's is just not my thing.
lisan25
lisan25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lisan25 Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:09 pm

Lol, this is also one of my favorite TV shows, I own several seasons of it.

lisan25
lisan25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:24 am

Well I don't have a lot of time as work right now is running me into the ground. So I look forward when I have some time to view some of these vids. I will also enjoy finding some cool music to put on this thread.

I did want to share this video however. It is of an elephant painting a picture of an elephant. Maybe some of you have seen it, as it does have over 5 million views. If you have not, it's pretty cool to watch.

I wanted to add, they won an ESPY award in 2008 for Best Moment.
lisan25
lisan25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by wil Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 am

Well I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but my spider sense went all tinglee when I saw that elephant painting. A quick google reveals it is more animal cruelty than anything we should be grateful for. Take another look and consider how you paint or draw, how the fine control is done in the fingers and wrist....look at the elephant and note how the curvature of that trunk never moves...how the elephant has to hold the trunk perfectly still. The reason for this is the handler is moving his head. Think of what actions you've seen with an elephants trunk in the wild or in captivity...never is the trunk perfectly still unless it is hanging loose, its muscles move the trunk in long sweeping free arcs. Contemplate what has to occur for an elephant to be trained to accomplish this feat.

I am grateful to be in this world and enjoy this life despite its foibles. And I look forward to coexisting more, and controlling less.

wil

Male
Cancer Tiger
Number of posts : 21
Job/hobbies : raising my kids and my consciousness
Humor : black bile
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 am

Oh wil, if what you say is true, that's horrible. Sad
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Sitting on my laptop a BUR between flights.

Will, what you have stated, is not correct. Did you actually bother to research this matter? I went on several sites, including the elephant camp where these elephants live, a company (not exclusive) that sells these paintings and looked at several more videos shot at a distance.

No trainer is holding or guiding the elephant's head, body or trunk in any way whatsoever at all, not once. He is standing closeby with brushes and the colors/ink to change the brushes and fill them with ink/color to hand them to the elephant. In many cases, the handler was seated in a chair next to the easel, facing the elephant. No one else was near the elephant either. The handler was holding several brushes and the ink and colors in both of his hands.

I even read a site where a zoologist who has studied elephants for many years in the wild and in captivity has witnessed in person, the elephants painting (he staryed at the camp for a week) and says it is indeed real. He went on to describe that elephants have 40,000, yes that is 40,000 muscles in their trunks, that they have what is almost an opposable thumb, how dexterous the trunk is, their intelligence, ability to learn from humans, communicate with their own species and with humans and more.

These elephants were used in the lumber industry, (as has been done for centuries) and that industry has seen a decline and strict limits have been enforced on the culling of lumber in these areas. If you have ever been to Thailan or the Philipines, and I have, these elephants are not living in zoo like conditions at all. They are raised/trained and babied and live with the same trainier 24/7 and they receive the best of care. The painting idea came about to help provide funds for their care from tourists (the elephants cannot be released back into the wild) because of the decline of the lumber industry. The art projects have now been expanded to provide funds for the conservation of all Asian elephants - wild and domesticated.

Their trainers are not considered trainers but considered their companions and guardians (mahouts) . This practice in Asia goes back a very long time. The elephants roam hundreds of acres, bath in rivers, eat their natural foods as they would in the wild, play, are treated medically, live (in the jungles/rainforests reserves) with other elephants and interact all the time, are very well fed and really taken care of and loved by their human companions (mahouts) who make a life long commitment to them. Their companions even sleep with them. Often, this profession is proudly carried on for generations by family members. The companion's entire day and night is dedicated to tending to "his" elephant and seeing to their every need and well being. They are never ever mistreated in any way. They are never penned up or chained either. They wear a simple single loose head strap.

Here is Snopes saying that indeed the elephants paintings are real.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/elephantpainting.asp

I found articles by animal behaviorial experts and by art experts who have also seen these elephants at work, studied their behavior and all of the articles were positive and enlightening and very interesting. I found dozens of such articles on Google, so I am wondering, what did you search exactly? I can link them all if needed. Here is a link to the Asian Elephant Art and Consrvation Project with bios and art samples from the elephants in the column on the right of the page and you can click on each one.

http://www.elephantart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=55

Here, the mahout is holding the easel while the elephant paints.

Lisa's Gratitude Cafe! Elephantpaints

Put It Out There Baby

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:55 pm

I wanted add (but the editing time is very brief on this site apparently--could that be lengthened a bit?) that orphan and injured elephants are also brought to these camps to be raised an treated. Elephants are very revered and honored in Asia. There are temples, deities and statues throughout all of Asia dedicated to elephants.

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks for all the time you took to carefully research this, PIOTB. I'm glad to hear what you found out to be true regarding these amazing animals and their caregivers.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:15 pm

I am stuck here for another 40 minutes or so. I have studied and read up about elephants for many years as they are actually one of my favorite animals. I have seen them in these camps (before the painting activity) a few times, as I visited a few in different countries. I am well aware of how Asians view elephants, how they have been used in the lumber industry and exactly how they are treated and cared for, which is a tradition going back hundreds of years. the Mahouts dedicate their entires live to each elephant and their care. It is consideed a very worthwhile profession there. They mostly begin this process as children, following in their Father's, Grandfather's and Greatgrandfather's footsteps.

The money being generated by this new activity is seriously helping the conservation of Asian elephants throughout many countries in Asia. Is it all non profit as well. Only elephants that show an interest in this activity, participate. No one forces anything upon them. This is also documented. if you could see how gentle and loving ther mahouts are towards the elephants and the bond that they have with them, it truly is amazing. The elephants are happy campers and live a very good, long life in their natural habitat with their fellow elephants.

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wil Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Will, what you have stated, is not correct. Did you actually bother to research this matter?
Thanx for the reprimand PIOTB...I guess we believe what we want to believe. Please post your videos showing the handler not manipulating the head/tusk...you may sway me yet. Right now...these pix that look like something fake and animal abuse.... the abstract ones where the elephants slap away like normal...I'll buy...but not this, not yet.

Quite alright...make up your own mind.

http://www.elephantartgallery.com/learn/authentic/spotting-fake-elephant-paintings.php

http://haepictures.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/o-magazine-features-elephant-not-painting/

wil

Male
Cancer Tiger
Number of posts : 21
Job/hobbies : raising my kids and my consciousness
Humor : black bile
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:08 pm

You know what Will, I don't happen to care what your opinion is or your belief. I have already posted photos and links. I have done my research. I am taking the words and ideas and beliefs of experts and witnesses. The videos are available on you tube and on the net, as are the testimonies. Do your own research. I am not interested in swaying anyone, especially you. I have posted the truth and not my opinion. If you see that as a reprimand, that is your issue and not mine. Again, choose to believe whatever you want to. It simply does not matter to me. I have already explained in great detail how the elephants in these camps/reserves live and how they are cared for. I have seen this for myself in person. YOU have not. They are never ever abused in any manner whatsoever. Again, this is your opinion. I am done on this subject.

I will share this with you. I am not ever going to get into any pissing contest with anyone on this forum ever. Not with you, not with anyone. Nor will I allow myself to be baited, ever again. That is not the purpose of this forum now. This is not Scam. A few of us here have known each other a few years, some longer. What we are trying to create here now is a safe place. A place that is happy, fun, stress and hassle free. A place without drama and soap operas. A place that is positive and not negative. A place to relax and share. A place without agendas. A place free of trolls and trolling. If we want the above, we know where to go for that. I don't want that here and I am fairly sure, that no one else does either. If you want an argument from me, or a heated debate you will not get one. We have managed a few happy days here and intend on keeping it that way. Have a nice day.

Last edited by Put It Out There Baby on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:37 pm; edited 7 times in total

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Put It Out There Baby wrote:
I will share this with you. I am not ever going to get into any pissing contest with anyone on this forum ever. Not with you, not with anyone. Nor will I allow myself to be baited, ever again. That is not the purpose of this forum now. This is not Scam. A few of us here have known eachother a few years, some longer. What we are trying to create here now is a safe place. A place that is happy, fun, stress and hassle free. A place without drama and soap operas. A place to relax and share. A place without agendas. If we want the above, we know where to go for that. I don't want hat here and I am fairly sure, that no one else does either. If you want an argument from me, or a heated debate you will not get one. We have managed a few happy days here and intend on keeping it that way. Have a nice day.
I second that. Well said.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Back on topic, with something happy and positive which is the SUBJECT of this thread.

lisan25
lisan25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lisan25 Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Ooooh, I love Frank Sinatra!

Here's another one to add onto that. Not Frank, but still a great song.

Here's another song as well. I first heard it on the movie Penelope. If you haven't seen that movie, I recommend it, I LOOOOVE it! It's so cute!

lisan25
lisan25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:44 pm

I love Sinatra. Look What I found, and there's at least 12 parts. I haven't seen them yet, but I've got to believe this series is a riot!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:46 pm

The band Argent. Here's a good song called Hold your head up.

That's a sweet vid, doggieboy. Nice to see our brave guys enjoying themselves. Thanks for posting!
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Sat May 01, 2010 12:38 am

HotParadox wrote:I love Sinatra. Look What I found, and there's at least 12 parts. I haven't seen them yet, but I've got to believe this series is a riot!