Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is our justice system a lie?

4 posters

Go down

Is our justice system a lie? Empty Is our justice system a lie?

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Not sure if this should go in politics or not.
Anyway, the following article tells the story of our judicial system going back on it's word. Personally, I think these inmates should grow old and die in prison, but that sentence should be what they got when they were sentenced. However, as you will read, the laws at the time were different, and their time of release has come. They've earned their good behavior points, which at the time reduced their sentences, and by the law they were sentenced with they have paid their due. Let them go. Otherwise our justice system is just another, (which it is and always has been), a farce and a scam to feed the lawyers and judges more money.

I hear time and time again the phrase, "Trust in our justice system". But how can it be trusted as long as it goes back on it's word? If the lawyers, judges, and even the governer can back pedal and go back on the laws that were in place at the time of sentencing, then that law, and thus today's law is meaningless. And the victims, their family, and the rest of us are in as much danger of not being treated fairly as those that commited the crime.

Just my opinion, I have a ton of them. Very Happy

NC Supreme Court to hear 'life' inmates case

By MIKE BAKER
Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina's highest court plans to hear the case of two convicted murderers who contend their "life" sentences are now complete, expediting a schedule of arguments while keeping the prisoners in custody until the matter is resolved.

Supreme Court clerk Christie Cameron said Tuesday that justices have established an expedited schedule to take briefings before the end of January. She said oral arguments could be set for February.

The Supreme Court's decision to take arguments in the case of inmates Faye Brown and Alford Jones will provide resolution to what has become a rancorous debate about the future of dozens of convicts sentenced to life sentences between 1974 and 1978. Gov. Beverly Perdue has said she was "disgusted" with the legal system after a lower judge ordered Brown and Jones set free.

While the state's Court of Appeals sided with those two inmates, a third judge issued a conflicting decision in another inmate's case and sided with state attorneys.

The inmates sentenced during the period three decades ago received terms defined as no more than 80 years long. Some of them contend sentence-reduction credits mean they've completed their time behind bars. The state attorney general's office contends the credits awarded to the inmates are not to be used to reduce the length of their terms.

Supreme Court justices have already batted away one volley of arguments from state lawyers. In October, the court upheld a ruling in favor of the inmates, leading Perdue to say the state was being "forced" to immediately release some two dozen murderers and rapists.

Brown, who is held at Raleigh Correctional Center for Women, was sentenced for her role in the shooting death of a state trooper during a bank robbery in 1975. Jones, who is currently at New Hanover Correctional Center in Wilmington, was convicted in the January 1975 shooting of William B. Turner Sr.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/6671935/

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Is our justice system a lie? Empty Re: Is our justice system a lie?

Post by Night-Reaper Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:41 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Not sure if this should go in politics or not.
Anyway, the following article tells the story of our judicial system going back on it's word. Personally, I think these inmates should grow old and die in prison, but that sentence should be what they got when they were sentenced. However, as you will read, the laws at the time were different, and their time of release has come. They've earned their good behavior points, which at the time reduced their sentences, and by the law they were sentenced with they have paid their due. Let them go. Otherwise our justice system is just another, (which it is and always has been), a farce and a scam to feed the lawyers and judges more money.

I hear time and time again the phrase, "Trust in our justice system". But how can it be trusted as long as it goes back on it's word? If the lawyers, judges, and even the governer can back pedal and go back on the laws that were in place at the time of sentencing, then that law, and thus today's law is meaningless. And the victims, their family, and the rest of us are in as much danger of not being treated fairly as those that commited the crime.

Just my opinion, I have a ton of them. Very Happy

NC Supreme Court to hear 'life' inmates case

By MIKE BAKER
Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina's highest court plans to hear the case of two convicted murderers who contend their "life" sentences are now complete, expediting a schedule of arguments while keeping the prisoners in custody until the matter is resolved.

Supreme Court clerk Christie Cameron said Tuesday that justices have established an expedited schedule to take briefings before the end of January. She said oral arguments could be set for February.

The Supreme Court's decision to take arguments in the case of inmates Faye Brown and Alford Jones will provide resolution to what has become a rancorous debate about the future of dozens of convicts sentenced to life sentences between 1974 and 1978. Gov. Beverly Perdue has said she was "disgusted" with the legal system after a lower judge ordered Brown and Jones set free.

While the state's Court of Appeals sided with those two inmates, a third judge issued a conflicting decision in another inmate's case and sided with state attorneys.

The inmates sentenced during the period three decades ago received terms defined as no more than 80 years long. Some of them contend sentence-reduction credits mean they've completed their time behind bars. The state attorney general's office contends the credits awarded to the inmates are not to be used to reduce the length of their terms.

Supreme Court justices have already batted away one volley of arguments from state lawyers. In October, the court upheld a ruling in favor of the inmates, leading Perdue to say the state was being "forced" to immediately release some two dozen murderers and rapists.

Brown, who is held at Raleigh Correctional Center for Women, was sentenced for her role in the shooting death of a state trooper during a bank robbery in 1975. Jones, who is currently at New Hanover Correctional Center in Wilmington, was convicted in the January 1975 shooting of William B. Turner Sr.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/6671935/
Our damn justice system is blind & stupid. I agree with you CH, they ought to grow old & die in prison.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Night-Reaper
Night-Reaper

Male
Number of posts : 832
Humor : being a wise cracker
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:58 pm

I still say that a 45 in the head is a much better punishment for what they and others like them did and just lok at the money it would save the taxpayers.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Old Timer wrote:I still say that a 45 in the head is a much better punishment for what they and others like them did and just lok at the money it would save the taxpayers.

I agree. But make that their sentence at the time, don't keep changing the law. Because that's where contridicting laws come into play. It could be argued that making them think that by the law they were sentenced with they'd be released at a certain time, then snatching that away from them so many years later is cruel and unusual punishment. I'm not saying they don't deserve it, I'm just saying if it can be done to these inmates, it can be done to everybody. I have an idea that you, like me, often judge people by their ability to keep their word. If I find that their word is meaningless, I judge them as a lower class of person not worthy of my trust, and I avoid them, and doubt what they say when I can't avoid them. The courts and the justice system in these cases are trying to go back on it's word. So how can I or anyone else, and why should we trust in it?

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:32 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:I still say that a 45 in the head is a much better punishment for what they and others like them did and just lok at the money it would save the taxpayers.

I agree. But make that their sentence at the time, don't keep changing the law. Because that's where contridicting laws come into play. It could be argued that making them think that by the law they were sentenced with they'd be released at a certain time, then snatching that away from them so many years later is cruel and unusual punishment. I'm not saying they don't deserve it, I'm just saying if it can be done to these inmates, it can be done to everybody. I have an idea that you, like me, often judge people by their ability to keep their word. If I find that their word is meaningless, I judge them as a lower class of person not worthy of my trust, and I avoid them, and doubt what they say when I can't avoid them. The courts and the justice system in these cases are trying to go back on it's word. So how can I or anyone else, and why should we trust in it?

You said it all. I totally agree with you. and yes it should be made known that the 45 is the sentence for murder. As well as those that cannot be rehabiliated. And especially child abusers. And of course we should not forgot those that destroy folks lives by getting them hooked on drugs as well. I firmly believe that if you eliminate the source you can eliminte the demand and the problem. If you make the penality severe enough so that they know if they are caught then it is over it will deter some from doing it.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Night-Reaper Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Kill'em all. Let God sort them out!
Night-Reaper
Night-Reaper

Male
Number of posts : 832
Humor : being a wise cracker
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:56 pm

Night-Reaper wrote:
Kill'em all. Let God sort them out!

My thoughts also. cheaper by the dozen to.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:31 pm

"Brown, who is held at Raleigh Correctional Center for Women, was sentenced for her role in the shooting death of a state trooper during a bank robbery in 1975. Jones, who is currently at New Hanover Correctional Center in Wilmington, was convicted in the January 1975 shooting of William B. Turner Sr. "

obviously, the gist of the above paragraph indicates that it has been established that these two individuals did take the life of a human being in a violent and intentional manner; a situation that is termed "murder". An act the likely do not regret to this day. If any regrets on their part, it is that they were caught, prosecuted, sentenced to incarceration.
This means that the two human beings killed by each one of these criminals; their life was instantly terminated [ended] at the point that the killing took place. Depriving them of further life, as well as denying and depriving their survivors of a Father, spouse, contributor to the household income and the taking away of a loved one, as well as a law abiding and beneficial citizen of their community.
These murders should be reminded of what they did every day. That is what a "life sentence" is intended to accomplish; to let them reflect, every time, their despair and agony over being incarcerated in a prison arises or is experienced, is that this is why they are there. To be punished for the remainder of their life with permanent incarceration, which is what a life sentence for a crime suggest. It is not only punishment for them but designed to be a deterrent for others that are or would be inclined to inflict similar crimes. A life sentence should be exactly that and no less. That is what they inflicted upon their victims.
As well, not only did they kill an individual but obviously were in the process of breaking other laws and committing other crimes. Also, a individual that murders anyone is likely to murder others as well as continuing their future criminal activity.

Further more, there should be work programs where they perform services for businesses and are paid for these services and the state government of the prison should be paid the money. THis would help to defray the cost of the entire system.
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down