Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Republic or democracy

+2
CarolinaHound
Old Timer
6 posters

Go down

Republic or democracy Empty Republic or democracy

Post by Old Timer Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:12 am

What are we really. It seems our founding fathers intended for us to have a republic. I agree. what do you think. And isn't also true that the federal government exists only because the states will allow it to. Got this from wikipedia

Republic
Main article: Republicanism
In contemporary usage, the term democracy refers to a government chosen by the people, whether it is direct or representative. The term republic has many different meanings, but today often refers to a representative democracy with an elected head of state, such as a president, serving for a limited term, in contrast to states with a hereditary monarch as a head of state, even if these states also are representative democracies with an elected or appointed head of government such as a prime minister.

The Founding Fathers of the United States rarely praised and often criticized democracy, which in their time tended to specifically mean direct democracy; James Madison argued, especially in The Federalist No. 10, that what distinguished a democracy from a republic was that the former became weaker as it got larger and suffered more violently from the effects of faction, whereas a republic could get stronger as it got larger and combats faction by its very structure. What was critical to American values, John Adams insisted, was that the government be "bound by fixed laws, which the people have a voice in making, and a right to defend." As Benjamin Franklin was exiting after writing the U.S. constitution, a woman asked him Sir, what have you given us?. He replied A republic ma'am, if you can keep it

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Republic or democracy Empty Re: Republic or democracy

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:23 am

"I pledge alligiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the REPUBLIC for which it stands." nuff said. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim17 Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:31 am

We are a democratic republic... Just had to be a smart ass...

Actually, we are a Republic. Nowhere in the constitution is the word "democracy". A republic is a society ruled by laws, which is what we are supposed to be.
Grim17
Grim17

Male
Sagittarius Dragon
Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:54 am

Grim17 wrote:We are a democratic republic... Just had to be a smart ass...

Actually, we are a Republic. Nowhere in the constitution is the word "democracy". A republic is a society ruled by laws, which is what we are supposed to be.

Hey Grim. How are ya? Good to see ya back again. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:13 pm

hehehe... actually, given the lack of attention people pay to the constitution, and the spin that the elected ones put on the bill of rights, I'm not really sure that we are a republic or a democracy. More like a free for all for whatever group has control at the moment.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:37 pm

The constitution says a republican form of government.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:58 am

Theophilus wrote:The constitution says a republican form of government.
So then would you say that is the politicians that are trying (going) to change it to be what they want it to be and not what it is supposed to be.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 pm

The difference between a republic and a democracy is the republic is ruled by law. A democracy is ruled by the people, in other words ruled by the majority. But it gets fuzzy because you can't have a republic without a democracy. You need the democratic voting process to establish the laws to be ruled under the republic. Without them it would simply be a tyranny. So the answer to both is yes. We live in a republic, a country governed by law. But we also live in a democracy, where the majority of the people decide those laws.

They seem like two different things but you really can't have a republic without a democracy.
Big Slick
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:25 pm

A republic is ruled by law. Laws written by representatives of jurisdictions. Representatives selected by democratic process, in the case of the USA. Representatives can also be appointed, in some cases, but those who appoint them were/are elected by those who are represented. The process begins with a vote of the people. The "people" is a collective representation of persons within a jurisdiction, or land. Democracy is not a form of government, but a process to structure a form of government. A republic is a form of government.

A democratic government would require EVERY law, rule or proposal of any kind, to be voted on by the persons (not "the people"). This, if it were our form of government, would eliminate the need of our Congress, Supreme Court, and President. Our current form of government, the republic, is a hierarchy of Representatives, beginning with individual persons, and ending with the President. Our system of "checks and balances" prevents (or is supposed to) one branch (or persons) of our government from obtaining absolute power over "the people".

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:57 pm

Hey DM, you really said it. especially with this sentence.

Our system of "checks and balances" prevents (or is supposed to) one branch (or persons) of our government from obtaining absolute power over "the people".

So being unable to do it alone it seems like they all got together and now rule as one body anyway.

But that is OK. Just tell obama what is wrong and he will spend more money to fix it.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:08 pm

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! A conspiracy!

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:28 am

DM007 wrote:It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! A conspiracy!

Down boy, Yer starting to sound like the Dawg. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:29 am

Old Timer wrote:
DM007 wrote:It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! A conspiracy!

Down boy, Yer starting to sound like the Dawg. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ewww!

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:11 am

Old Timer wrote:
Theophilus wrote:The constitution says a republican form of government.
So then would you say that is the politicians that are trying (going) to change it to be what they want it to be and not what it is supposed to be.

Actually I was only saying what he constitution says. As far as the politicians changing it to they way they want it. I would say they did a good job of that.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down