Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am going to be honest.

+7
catch-22
Theophilus
HotParadox
luciano
CarolinaHound
Peregrine(Endangered)
Cartoon Head
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I am going to be honest. Empty I am going to be honest.

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:56 pm

No offence intended here, but you know one thing that kinda grates with me?

The fact that too many Americans have any knowledge, let alone care, about politics and events, outside of their own front door.

I am going to bet that the average American couldn't speedily give you the names of six European capitals, many would struggle to tell you who the PM of the UK was, or anything about him, and so on.

What makes it worse is that the same people almost take a pride in their ignorance of other nations, and other cultues.

Jeez, what is there to be proud in that?

I was/am a member of Scam for a few years, I think I am a reasonable judge of charachter, and many times that was the impression I got from there.

Is it important that this changes, greater numbers of Americans look outwith?

I say it surely is.

After all, if you live in a goldfish bowl, you are missing a lot in the world outside of it, if you take my point.

Cartoon Head

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

I am going to be honest. Empty Re: I am going to be honest.

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:06 pm

Real quick name 6 american capitols????? Without using Google!!!
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:11 pm

Capital cities?

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:12 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:No offence intended here, but you know one thing that kinda grates with me?

The fact that too many Americans have any knowledge, let alone care, about politics and events, outside of their own front door.

I am going to bet that the average American couldn't speedily give you the names of six European capitals, many would struggle to tell you who the PM of the UK was, or anything about him, and so on.

What makes it worse is that the same people almost take a pride in their ignorance of other nations, and other cultues.

I was/am a member of Scam for a few years, I think I am a reasonable judge of charachter, and many times that was the impression I got from there.

I say it surely is.

After all, if you live in a goldfish bowl, you are missing a lot in the world outside of it, if you take my point.

I couldn't give you six US state capitals to be honest. If Cheney hadn't shot that lawyer I probably couldn't of told you who the VP was. But in my defence, I just recently got any kind of interest in politics.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Anway, it is my GENERAL observation that most Europeans are more aware of global affairs of many nations, than the average American.

Look at the relatively small number of passports held by Americans, when compared to other nations.

It is surprisingly small.

This suggests to me that there are a large popuation without the desire to ever leave their own nation, explore new cultures and such.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:15 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Capital cities?

Of course...my bad on the spelling: Capital Cities..go to it
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:15 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:No offence intended here, but you know one thing that kinda grates with me?

I say it surely is.

I couldn't give you six US state capitals to be honest. If Cheney hadn't shot that lawyer I probably couldn't of told you who the VP was. But in my defence, I just recently got any kind of interest in politics.

Seriously?

You would labour to name a mere six UNITED STATES cities?

No offence at all, but I find that staggering.

What a Face

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:16 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Anway, it is my GENERAL observation that most Europeans are more aware of global affairs of many nations, than the average American.

Look at the relatively small number of passports held by Americans, when compared to other nations.

This suggests to me that there are a large popuation without the desire to ever leave their own nation, explore new cultures and such.

I would love to visit other nations...Italy for sure...can you bankroll me????
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Peregrine wrote:
The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Capital cities?

Of course...my bad on the spelling: Capital Cities..go to it

LA, , New York, Boston, Oklahamo City, Nshvillle, Austin, Indianapolis?

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Peregrine wrote:
The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Anway, it is my GENERAL observation that most Europeans are more aware of global affairs of many nations, than the average American.

I would love to visit other nations...Italy for sure...can you bankroll me????

Sadly not.

Sorry Crying or Very sad

Yeah, Italy is a fine nation, Malta is worth a visit, small, full of history, and friendly people.

I have been to southern and central Europe a fair bit.

I would like to try out some of the Scandic nations.

Cuba appeals for a visit, as does Mexico.

Could be a laugh.

Cool

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:27 pm

was/am a member of Scam for a few years, I think I am a reasonable judge of charachter, and many times that was the impression I got from there.

I say it surely is.

Okay I going to give it a try...I not going to google it....here goes: Rome, Lisbon, Berlin, Dublin, Helsinki,oops thats only five.....Moscow phewt!!!!
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:31 pm

That's pretty good.

However, going by what you write, I would say you were slightly above average, in overall intelligence.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:32 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:That's pretty good.

However, going by what you write, I would say you were slightly above average, in overall intelligence.

Why thank you Sir!!! Smile
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:33 pm

*Bows*

My pleasure.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Is scam the only place you have conversed with Americans? Or even not over the internet?

Have you been to America?
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 517

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:52 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

I say it surely is.

Seriously?

You would labour to name a mere six UNITED STATES cities?

No offence at all, but I find that staggering.

What a Face

I can name dozens of US cities, just couldn't say for sure which ones are state capitols.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:54 pm

That might change if folks would quit hijacking our planes and trying to blow us up. Wink

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 pm

I say it surely is.

Right. I have often thought about this and my theory is that America with its states, is to Americans like Europe and it countries is to Europeans.

America is huge, it is isolated from Europe, where as if you live in Austria, you are next door to Italy which is next door to France and so on and so forth. If you live in NH in the US, you are next door to MA which is next door to NY which is next door to PA and so on and so forth. So, if you follow me, Germans learn the Italian culture and language, etc. American learn the idiosyncrasies of the different regions and states. Do you see my point.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:05 pm

Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Kalamazoo, Durham, lizard lick, flagstaff, Dallas, Houston, minneapolis, mt. olive, Miami, ft. lauderdale, Memphis, Washington, Charlotte, Boise... could sit here all night and do it, but state capitals? I know Albany is New York's capital, Raleigh is North Carolina's capital.. I'd really have to research the capitals of each state. And it has little to do with intelligence. If it don't interest you, it just don't interest you.
jmo Cool Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:49 pm

luciano wrote:

Is scam the only place you have conversed with Americans? Or even not over the internet?

Have you been to America?

I have met a reasonable number of Americans, yes. Most were over here, in the UK. And between that, and a lot of posts on Scam, I stand by my conclusions, while accepting there are exceptions.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:51 pm

HotParadox wrote:

I say it surely is.

Right. I have often thought about this and my theory is that America with its states, is to Americans like Europe and it countries is to Europeans.

America is huge, it is isolated from Europe, where as if you live in Austria, you are next door to Italy which is next door to France and so on and so forth. If you live in NH in the US, you are next door to MA which is next door to NY which is next door to PA and so on and so forth. So, if you follow me, Germans learn the Italian culture and language, etc. American learn the idiosyncrasies of the different regions and states. Do you see my point.

Yes I do.

It is a reasonable one.

Yet more Brits and Aussies travel to beyond Europe than their American counterparts.

If someone experiences this, it can only widen their knowledge of a VERY diverse language and culture.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:52 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Kalamazoo, Durham, lizard lick, flagstaff, Dallas, Houston, minneapolis, mt. olive, Miami, ft. lauderdale, Memphis, Washington, Charlotte, Boise... could sit here all night and do it, but state capitals? I know Albany is New York's capital, Raleigh is North Carolina's capital.. I'd really have to research the capitals of each state. And it has little to do with intelligence. If it don't interest you, it just don't interest you.
jmo Cool Very Happy

True.

But surely there are just things that you would expect someone to know, esp about their own nation.

No biggie.

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Kalamazoo, Durham, lizard lick, flagstaff, Dallas, Houston, minneapolis, mt. olive, Miami, ft. lauderdale, Memphis, Washington, Charlotte, Boise... could sit here all night and do it, but state capitals? I know Albany is New York's capital, Raleigh is North Carolina's capital.. I'd really have to research the capitals of each state. And it has little to do with intelligence. If it don't interest you, it just don't interest you.
jmo Cool Very Happy

True.

But surely there are just things that you would expect someone to know, esp about their own nation.

No biggie.

To be honest I'm just not a traveler. I'm not really interested in other place. Probably because I found myself disappointed when I got to the places I have traveled. Never been to Canada, nor Mexico. It just doesn't interest me. And social studies and/or foreign studies is the class you skip or ditch when in school, it's easy to breeze by in those classes because there's not a lot of importance put into it.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:25 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
jmo Cool Very Happy

True.

No biggie.

To be honest I'm just not a traveler. I'm not really interested in other place. Probably because I found myself disappointed when I got to the places I have traveled. Never been to Canada, nor Mexico. It just doesn't interest me. And social studies and/or foreign studies is the class you skip or ditch when in school, it's easy to breeze by in those classes because there's not a lot of importance put into it.

You needn't even travel.

There are many I know that have never taken the time or effort, to really engage in friendly chat with anyone 'different' to them. The person might be black or gay or gay, but some might shun them because of that, passing on their irrational fears and xenophobia to the next generation.

If you do not like to travel, I guess the alternative would be to put yourself among as many different people as you can.

I have known all sorts of people in my life, and, after a while, you start to understand the psyche of homo sapien.

Does that make sense?

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 pm

HotParadox wrote:

I say it surely is.

Yes I do.

It is a reasonable one.

Yet more Brits and Aussies travel to beyond Europe than their American counterparts.

If someone experiences this, it can only widen their knowledge of a VERY diverse language and culture.
To travel from Boston to Spain is a quite different than traveling from Scotland to Spain, for instance. Your proximity to different nations gives you two important advantages:Time and Money.

As far as the Aussies go, maybe they have more disposable cash than Americans, not sure, but I do know that Europeans have the misunderstanding that most Americans are well off and have a lot of leisure time. One thing I can tell you for sure, the great majority of Americans work their fingers to the bone, and many work by far more than 40 hours a week. Many of us look for vacations that we can afford, yet still have fun with our families. I wish I could travel abroad more. I really would love too, but some of us simply can't afford to experience this, as you say.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:34 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
jmo Cool Very Happy

True.

No biggie.

You needn't even travel.

There are many I know that have never taken the time or effort, to really engage in friendly chat with anyone 'different' to them. The person might be black or gay or gay, but some might shun them because of that, passing on their irrational fears and xenophobia to the next generation.

If you do not like to travel, I guess the alternative would be to put yourself among as many different people as you can.

I have known all sorts of people in my life, and, after a while, you start to understand the psyche of homo sapien.

Does that make sense?

Oh yea, you make sense. I'm here aint I? Wink I've chatted with folks on the phone, on forums, have even met people from all over the world. I didn't mean I don't go "anywhere" Just not out of the country. There was a group of people on their way to a internet/webmaster convention not long ago that I spent the afternoon with when they stopped on their way to Las Vegas. I aint locked up in my room and all mate. lmao lol!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm

HotParadox wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

I say it surely is.

Yes I do.

It is a reasonable one.

To travel from Boston to Spain is a quite different than traveling from Scotland to Spain, for instance. Your proximity to different nations gives you two important advantages:Time and Money.

As far as the Aussies go, maybe they have more disposable cash than Americans, not sure, but I do know that Europeans have the misunderstanding that most Americans are well off and have a lot of leisure time. One thing I can tell you for sure, the great majority of Americans work their fingers to the bone, and many work by far more than 40 hours a week. Many of us look for vacations that we can afford, yet still have fun with our families. I wish I could travel abroad more. I really would love too, but some of us simply can't afford to experience this, as you say.

Yep, money is a big factor too.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cartoon Head Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:37 pm

Don't just focus on the one aspect though, please.

I also mentioned that Americans often seem to take an almost silly pride in NOT knowing the politics and current affairs, within European nations.

There are exceptions.

I know a fella called Tom, v bright guy, I should really drag him on.

American.

But interested in, and ITK about other nations, European and otherwise.

pirat

Cartoon Head

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:56 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Don't just focus on the one aspect though, please.

I also mentioned that Americans often seem to take an almost silly pride in NOT knowing the politics and current affairs, within European nations.

There are exceptions.

American.

pirat

That ain't gonna make me any more intrested in it. Show me some blues guitar players. That I'm interested in. Stil not likely to learn their capitals though. hehehehe Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:01 pm

The Ghost Of Yeah Well Fi wrote:Don't just focus on the one aspect though, please.

There are exceptions.

American.

pirat
Maybe it's the circle of friends you have in life and on the net.

To be honest, I find an awfully lot of Americans who can and do travel abroad, and Americans who do not, but still know much about different countries, and pride themselves in that knowledge.

Frankly, others are weary of the way Americans are maligned and made fun of across the globe. Why would they want to visit countries who hate them? These elitists don't just despise America, mind you, but they hate Americans.

Don't believe me? Post as though you were an American and see what crap you get from the God Almighty Superior Europeans. It may make you see things a little differently.

You are good at pretending. Pretend that you are an American and see how the internet world welcomes you, never mind the real world on a trip abroad.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:19 pm

There are exceptions.

American.

pirat

And I don't take pride in not knowing more about other countries, but I'm not gonna kick myself for it either. If the time comes that I need to know about a certain country... I'll seek out and learn it. But right now I need to figure out how to hammer on then pull-off, hammer on then pull-off, hammer on then pull-off, slide, bend, then hammer on then pull-off, slide back and bend on two different strings at the same time on three different frets without tying my third and index finger in a knot. What a Face The good news is all that has given me insperation to write a song. Going to call it "Co-- ---in mu--- ---kin hammer-on, pull-off, bend n slide ---kin blues" Mad
I don't suspect HP will be wanting to be listening to that one.
hehehehehehe... lol!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:30 pm

HotParadox wrote:

There are exceptions.

American.

pirat

To be honest, I find an awfully lot of Americans who can and do travel abroad, and American who do not, but still know much about different countries, and pride themselves in that knowledge.

Frankly, others are weary of the way Americans are maligned and made fun of across the globe. Why would they want to visit countries who hate them? These elitists don't just despise America, mind you, but they hate Americans.

Don't believe me? Post as though you were an American and see what crap you get from the God Almighty Superior Europeans. It may make you see things a little differently.

You are good at pretending. Pretend that you are an American and see how the internet world welcomes you, never mind the real world on a trip abroad.

Haha, very true. I just think Steve is just flat wrong as he usually is with his assumptions of Americans.

He's making sweeping generalizations of a whole country that came from Europe mostly from what he's learned from his 3 years at scam and a few joes he met that were on vacation.

Come to NYC, or just about any big city on the east coast and I think you'll find we are very culturally diverse, probably much more than your neighborhood.

We elected a black president, point me to one European nation that has done that. Maybe Europeans should be "honest" about their own social problems than obsessing about what us Americans are doing.

Maybe its because Im from an ethnic neighborhood, but the people I know go "home" to Europe, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt very often. I live in a neighborhood of Italians, Greeks, Serbs, Croats, Christian Lebanese, Christian Syrians, and Christian Egyptians. They all came here 80-100 years ago to work in steel mills, they still go back, send their kids back. A lot of their kids even learn the "old" language. I find it hard to believe my neighborhood is the only one like this across the whole nation, especially since their a few more like it alone in my county.

You think Europeans come over here and forget about their culture? You need to come to America. I'll take you to the Ukranian church to get some pierogies, the S.O.I for spaghetti dinner, or maybe to the Lebanese Club for some grape leaves. You need to come to my America, OT's America, CarolinaHound's America, and even Grim17's America before you make sweeping statements like that.

Im not mad at ya, but to be "honest" I think you're full of it and dont think you know the first thing about America or Americans.
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:41 pm

luciano wrote:Maybe its because Im from an ethnic neighborhood, but the people I know go "home" to Europe, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt very often. I live in a neighborhood of Italians, Greeks, Serbs, Croats, Christian Lebanese, Christian Syrians, and Christian Egyptians.

What!? No redneck southerners with Harley's, rebel flags, beer guts, and bugs in their beards!!!???? afro
Afraid we'll bring down the property value aint ya? Suspect uuuh huuuh. Suspect Rolling Eyes

Just joking btw. clown lol!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:55 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
luciano wrote:Maybe its because Im from an ethnic neighborhood, but the people I know go "home" to Europe, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt very often. I live in a neighborhood of Italians, Greeks, Serbs, Croats, Christian Lebanese, Christian Syrians, and Christian Egyptians.

What!? No redneck southerners with Harley's, rebel flags, beer guts, and bugs in their beards!!!???? afro
Afraid we'll bring down the property value aint ya? Suspect uuuh huuuh. Suspect Rolling Eyes

We got them, they live outside the city limits and own land and stuff like that, lol. Hell man, a quick 60 minute drive, we can be in an area straight out of the movie "Deliverance", but I try to stay clear of WVA if I can help it. Laughing

When they were bringing in the steel workers, they put the blacks in one section and our neighborhood right next to it(Eastern Europeans and the like were thought of as scum back then ), back then they were row houses, but the neighborhoods are pretty much the same all these years later except a helluva lot nicer than the pictures Ive seen. Same people though. I'll admit I dont know much about some countries, but I think I got a good grasp on these ones.

We got another one full of Polish, Russian nationalities(where the old ladies make the pierogies!), and more Slav families too.

Where's my reparations at? Laughing
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:14 am

luciano wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

We got them, they live outside the city limits and own land and stuff like that, lol. Hell man, a quick 60 minute drive, we can be in an area straight out of the movie "Deliverance", but I try to stay clear of WVA if I can help it. Laughing

When they were bringing in the steel workers, they put the blacks in one section and our neighborhood right next to it(Eastern Europeans and the like were thought of as scum back then ), back then they were row houses, but the neighborhoods are pretty much the same all these years later except a helluva lot nicer than the pictures Ive seen. Same people though. I'll admit I dont know much about some countries, but I think I got a good grasp on these ones.

We got another one full of Polish, Russian nationalities(where the old ladies make the pierogies!), and more Slav families too.

MAN! I love Pierogies. I use to date a babe who's grandparents were from poland. I could sit there and eat those all day long, and that chicken blood soup. I forget what it's called, but man it was good.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:22 am

luciano wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

There are exceptions.

American.

pirat

To be honest, I find an awfully lot of Americans who can and do travel abroad, and American who do not, but still know much about different countries, and pride themselves in that knowledge.

Haha, very true. I just think Steve is just flat wrong as he usually is with his assumptions of Americans.

He's making sweeping generalizations of a whole country that came from Europe mostly from what he's learned from his 3 years at scam and a few joes he met that were on vacation.

Come to NYC, or just about any big city on the east coast and I think you'll find we are very culturally diverse, probably much more than your neighborhood.

We elected a black president, point me to one European nation that has done that. Maybe Europeans should be "honest" about their own social problems than obsessing about what us Americans are doing.

Maybe its because Im from an ethnic neighborhood, but the people I know go "home" to Europe, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt very often. I live in a neighborhood of Italians, Greeks, Serbs, Croats, Christian Lebanese, Christian Syrians, and Christian Egyptians. They all came here 80-100 years ago to work in steel mills, they still go back, send their kids back. A lot of their kids even learn the "old" language. I find it hard to believe my neighborhood is the only one like this across the whole nation, especially since their a few more like it alone in my county.

You think Europeans come over here and forget about their culture? You need to come to America. I'll take you to the Ukranian church to get some pierogies, the S.O.I for spaghetti dinner, or maybe to the Lebanese Club for some grape leaves. You need to come to my America, OT's America, CarolinaHound's America, and even Grim17's America before you make sweeping statements like that.

Im not mad at ya, but to be "honest" I think you're full of it and dont think you know the first thing about America or Americans.
No disrespect to Steve but you knocked one out of the park here, L.

Americans ask each other, "What are you?" (and we understand what they are asking) or "What nationality are you?". And we don't say, "Oh, I'm American!" No, because that is understood. After all, we act American and speak fluent English. We understand that our fellow American wants to know our roots, our blood, our history. And we proudly oblige them by saying, in my case, "I'm 100% Italian. And so is my husband, 100%. And so are our kids, 100%!" And then they will proudly say, "Oh, I'm 50% Irish, 30% Polish and 20% French Canadian!". One year in America and Steve would see things a little differently, I think.

And, just by the way, my family has been firmly planted in America for well over 100 years, but still I say, "I'm 100% Italian. Because I am and proud of it. Proud of what contributions my nationality did to help make America the unique and wonderful country it is today. And let me tell you, as proud as I am of my Italian heritage, I am even prouder to be an American.

In all honesty, and I am being candid here, L, I don't understand why Steve has expressed, on more than one occasion, a desire to move to America. I've often wondered why. As much as I love Italy and all things Italian, never, ever would I leave my beloved United States of America.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
luciano wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

MAN! I love Pierogies. I use to date a babe who's grandparents were from poland. I could sit there and eat those all day long, and that chicken blood soup. I forget what it's called, but man it was good.

Man, Ive ate some weird stuff, goat, octopus, haggis (never eat this stuff, its terrible) but Im not messing with anything called Chicken Blood Soup. Evil or Very Mad affraid Well.....maybe if I drank a few beers first Wink

But yeah Pierogies are the best, I like the sauerkraut and potato filled ones, and sweet potato ones are good too. They are so good, I thought Italians invented them until I was at least 21 Wink
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:35 am

I have never traveled to Europe. Though I have been to Africa once. That was cool. When it comes European politics, and the culture I do pay some attention. Though I would probably embarrass myself if asked specific questions about Europe. Here is what I know. Europe uses trains for transportation more than we do. I wish we would set up a great transportation system. (one that relies less on the car) Europe has really cool looking churches. Europe probably has better beer than we do over here. Britain's Prime Minister is Gordon Brown. I was listening to BBC radio today. I found out where that quote "If the president does it than its not illegal". I had heard it before, but never knew where it came from. It came from an interview in 1977 with David Frost I believe.

The UK economy seems to in trouble yet, if you were to come here from the UK and exchange the British pound with you could have a real nice vacation.
I am not sure exactly who is in the European Union, and what countries use the Euro only, or a combination thereof.

I really don't know as much as I should. Though I do like to learn. That is what is cool about the internet, and forums. You meet people from abroad. You learn about different cultures, and you grow as a person because of it.

Well I have learned a lot from a lot of the people I have met on this forum. Also scam.com before it started to implode.

Last edited by howdy on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:36 am

luciano wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
luciano wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Man, Ive ate some weird stuff, goat, octopus, haggis (never eat this stuff, its terrible) but Im not messing with anything called Chicken Blood Soup. Evil or Very Mad affraid Well.....maybe if I drank a few beers first Wink

But yeah Pierogies are the best, I like the sauerkraut and potato filled ones, and sweet potato ones are good too. They are so good, I thought Italians invented them until I was at least 21 Wink

She made them from potatoes cheese and onions, then she'd pan fry them in some butter onions and peppers. Oh I could feel my arteries ceasing up with every bite. lol But that soup, that's not what they called it, it was in Polish and I could never remember it. But she they make the broth buy draining the chicken blood into a pot of water and boil the hell out of it with the chicken then add the vegetables. But I understand, I was eating the heck out of it and asked what it was, my girls grandma was telling me the polish name and I was trying to pronounce it when my girlfriend of the moment blurted out chicken blood soup. Suddenly it started to crawl back up. But once I got used to the idea... I loved the stuff. Wonder if that's where I get my fascination with vampires from... hmmmm

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:42 am

Luciano wrote:
But yeah Pierogies are the best, I like the sauerkraut and potato filled ones, and sweet potato ones are good too. They are so good, I thought Italians invented them until I was at least 21. Wink
We did. Very Happy

And we have many different kinds.

We call them ravioli.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum