Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EARTHQUAKES: 05/02/2009 7:23 am

+3
HotParadox
Theophilus
Old Timer
7 posters

Go down

EARTHQUAKES:  05/02/2009     7:23 am Empty EARTHQUAKES: 05/02/2009 7:23 am

Post by Old Timer Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:31 pm

The magnitude of an earthquake is a measured value of the earthquake size. The magnitude is the same no matter where you are, or how strong or weak the shaking was in various locations. The intensity of an earthquake is a measure of the shaking created by the earthquake, and this value does vary with location.

Will California eventually fall off into the ocean? No. The San Andreas Fault System, which crosses California from the Salton Sea in the south to Cape Mendocino in the north, is the boundary between the Pacific Plate and North American Plate. The Pacific Plate is moving northwest with respect to the North American Plate at approximately 56 millimeters per year (the rate your fingernails grow). The strike-slip earthquakes on the San Andreas Fault are a result of this plate motion. The plates are moving horizontally past one another, so California is not going to fall into the ocean. However, Los Angeles and San Francisco will one day be adjacent to one another (in approximately 15 million years)!

Here is a link to a site with much more information and links to other sites.
http://www.usgs.gov/hazards/

Here is a link for all of the latest earthquakes.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Last edited by Old Timer on Sat May 02, 2009 9:25 am; edited 84 times in total

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

EARTHQUAKES:  05/02/2009     7:23 am Empty Re: EARTHQUAKES: 05/02/2009 7:23 am

Post by Theophilus Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:34 pm

I have been paying attention to this subject. There is no doubt that there is going to be major quakes and soon. We can either put or heads in the sand, or we can prepare. Very few will, though. They are not reporting on the news just how dire the situation is. Pretending this does not exist does not make it go away.

Please update with the current info. Let people see just how serious this is.

This is not to be ignored.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:29 am

I think it depends on where you are. Utah is advertising on tv how to get info to prepare your home for an earthquake and they have people at a lot of public events handing out info and answering questions. They are also helping people with 72 hour kits, emergency car kits, etc.

Back to top Go down

EARTHQUAKES:  05/02/2009     7:23 am Empty EARTHQUAKES: Daily Updates

Post by HotParadox Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Test
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:47 pm

HotParadox wrote:Test

Math or spelling?

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Ot, that dot over in our moutains keeps inching closer to me. Really, you don't need to share. Keep all that stuff over on the left side of the map.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:Test

Math or spelling?
lol Very Happy
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

EARTHQUAKES:  05/02/2009     7:23 am Empty PLATE TETONIC MOVEMENTS

Post by Old Timer Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:46 pm

How earthquakes are made by plate tetonic movement.

link
http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/visualization/collections/PTMovements.html

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:57 pm

This is a magnatude 4.5 in Western Montana this morning.
Image hosted by servimg.com

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:49 pm

This is a very cool thread also, you update this everyday? I see you edited the first post 13 times. That's cool Im gonna have to keep checking this thread.

Something Ive noticed about earthquakes, I got no scientific theory to back it up, just something I have noticed: When there is a big earthquake somewhere, it always seems like days later there will be another sizable earthquake in a totally different part of the world, like say the first one hits Turkey, then blam, couple days later Japan will have a big one, almost like they are related, like the first one causes the second one somehow.
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 517

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:59 pm

luciano wrote:This is a very cool thread also, you update this everyday? I see you edited the first post 13 times. That's cool Im gonna have to keep checking this thread.

Something Ive noticed about earthquakes, I got no scientific theory to back it up, just something I have noticed: When there is a big earthquake somewhere, it always seems like days later there will be another sizable earthquake in a totally different part of the world, like say the first one hits Turkey, then blam, couple days later Japan will have a big one, almost like they are related, like the first one causes the second one somehow.

You are correct in your theory. I am trying to find that article that will explain it. It does really happen. Your really not nuts. OK, well just a littie hehehe Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:47 pm

Well guys, I've studied the info OT has posted. I've also been studying some other natural disasters and storms that seem to be popping up more than normal in the past few year, and global warming stats. It is my scientific conclusion that... Suspect

affraid WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!! affraid

eventually. Suspect
Laughing lol! Laughing

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:39 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Well guys, I've studied the info OT has posted. I've also been studying some other natural disasters and storms that seem to be popping up more than normal in the past few year, and global warming stats. It is my scientific conclusion that... Suspect

affraid WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!! affraid

eventually. Suspect
Laughing lol! Laughing

Yep, sooner or later we all gotta go. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat May 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Old Timer wrote:The magnitude of an earthquake is a measured value of the earthquake size. The magnitude is the same no matter where you are, or how strong or weak the shaking was in various locations. The intensity of an earthquake is a measure of the shaking created by the earthquake, and this value does vary with location.

Will California eventually fall off into the ocean? No. The San Andreas Fault System, which crosses California from the Salton Sea in the south to Cape Mendocino in the north, is the boundary between the Pacific Plate and North American Plate. The Pacific Plate is moving northwest with respect to the North American Plate at approximately 56 millimeters per year (the rate your fingernails grow). The strike-slip earthquakes on the San Andreas Fault are a result of this plate motion. The plates are moving horizontally past one another, so California is not going to fall into the ocean. However, Los Angeles and San Francisco will one day be adjacent to one another (in approximately 15 million years)!

Here is a link to a site with much more information and links to other sites.
http://www.usgs.gov/hazards/

Here is a link for all of the latest earthquakes.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

More good sites coming

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Wed May 13, 2009 1:47 pm

lisan24 wrote:I think it depends on where you are. Utah is advertising on tv how to get info to prepare your home for an earthquake and they have people at a lot of public events handing out info and answering questions. They are also helping people with 72 hour kits, emergency car kits, etc.

There is not much I can do to prepare a manufactured home for a quake and there is no where to go for safety. We are lucky here on the east coast...only had one little quake over ten years ago.
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Wed May 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:
lisan24 wrote:I think it depends on where you are. Utah is advertising on tv how to get info to prepare your home for an earthquake and they have people at a lot of public events handing out info and answering questions. They are also helping people with 72 hour kits, emergency car kits, etc.

There is not much I can do to prepare a manufactured home for a quake and there is no where to go for safety. We are lucky here on the east coast...only had one little quake over ten years ago.

I sure do hope it stays that way for ya to. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Mon May 18, 2009 2:14 am

We had a nice little one here tonight just after 8:30 pm, rated 5.0 and now downgraded to 4.7 by Cal Tech. It was on the Inglewood/Newport fault line and felt in a 100 mile radius. It was also 8.5 miles below the surface of the ground. It was quite the shaker, lasting a good 20 seconds. It was unusual in that it did not start out slow and build nor did it taper off. It just suddenly hit, shook and rolled like hell and then stopped. It was pretty jolting. No damage, a few things fell off shelves, some creaking, couple of car alarms went off in the neighborhood, a few things shifting around, a few crooked pictures on the walls, the dogs whinned (they actually jumped up from a laying down/relaxing position and stood like two frozen statues just a second just before it hit) and the cat ran around, loads of water slopped out of the pool and the jacuzzi though and the water was still moving quite a lot when I walked out back a few minutes after the quake to look. I was happy we didn't lose power or phone service which often happens.

Gave my sister quite a thrill though. lol She just moved out here from NYC a few weeks ago and just isn't used to these things. She yelled, "What the hell is going on?" I said it's just an earthquake. Of course it didn't help that my wife, who just hates earthquakes was babbling and praying in Italian and clutching on to me with a death grip, so my sister ran outside, saw all the 50 to 70 foot palm trees swaying back and forth and ran back inside. lmao She was not happy about the two small after shocks either. I had just gotten her calmed down when the first aftershock hit, but they were very brief and small. I spoke to my brother over in Torrance (had to get him on his cell as their land line did go out) and he said they had a loud boom (which we did not have as much of ) and then the jolting started. He thought it was a more up and down, rather than lateral movement, which I believe also. We both have two story homes and it seemed to shake from bottom to top and top to bottom rather than sideways and back and forth like they often do.

There are around 70 earthquakes of varying magnitudes somewhere in California every single day believe it or not. Most are in the boonies or are very small and never really "felt"- just measured.

Put It Out There Baby

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue May 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Put It Out There Baby wrote:We had a nice little one here tonight just after 8:30 pm, rated 5.0 and now downgraded to 4.7 by Cal Tech. It was on the Inglewood/Newport fault line and felt in a 100 mile radius. It was also 8.5 miles below the surface of the ground. It was quite the shaker, lasting a good 20 seconds. It was unusual in that it did not start out slow and build nor did it taper off. It just suddenly hit, shook and rolled like hell and then stopped. It was pretty jolting. No damage, a few things fell off shelves, some creaking, couple of car alarms went off in the neighborhood, a few things shifting around, a few crooked pictures on the walls, the dogs whinned (they actually jumped up from a laying down/relaxing position and stood like two frozen statues just a second just before it hit) and the cat ran around, loads of water slopped out of the pool and the jacuzzi though and the water was still moving quite a lot when I walked out back a few minutes after the quake to look. I was happy we didn't lose power or phone service which often happens.

Gave my sister quite a thrill though. lol She just moved out here from NYC a few weeks ago and just isn't used to these things. She yelled, "What the hell is going on?" I said it's just an earthquake. Of course it didn't help that my wife, who just hates earthquakes was babbling and praying in Italian and clutching on to me with a death grip, so my sister ran outside, saw all the 50 to 70 foot palm trees swaying back and forth and ran back inside. lmao She was not happy about the two small after shocks either. I had just gotten her calmed down when the first aftershock hit, but they were very brief and small. I spoke to my brother over in Torrance (had to get him on his cell as their land line did go out) and he said they had a loud boom (which we did not have as much of ) and then the jolting started. He thought it was a more up and down, rather than lateral movement, which I believe also. We both have two story homes and it seemed to shake from bottom to top and top to bottom rather than sideways and back and forth like they often do.

There are around 70 earthquakes of varying magnitudes somewhere in California every single day believe it or not. Most are in the boonies or are very small and never really "felt"- just measured.

LMAO

I would really loved to have seen that. We get the same effect here from a 3.5 or bigger in Jackson. When the last one hit we were sitting on the couch and it just started to walk with us on it. It only lasted for about 10 seconds but it was something lese. Cracked the wall in the bathroom corner but nothing else. But one of these days that dam park is going to go and then all hell will break loose Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down