Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atom smasher

3 posters

Go down

Atom smasher Empty Atom smasher

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:12 am

OK, I was watching Fox and Friends, (God forgive me for I have sinned. Rolling Eyes )

They were talking about the Hadron Collider (Big atom smasher), the guest was Michio Kaku. Anyway they were saying that while the idea there would be a giant black hole that would swallow us was highly unlikely, they had done some recalculations and that there would likely be tiny black holes created, but Michio Kaku said the black holes would only have the equivalent power of a fruit fly and they would pass through the earth and be gone without harm. My question, what would happen if one of them, or several of them were to pass through a human?

Just one of those dumb questions my mind creates.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Atom smasher Empty Re: Atom smasher

Post by Kazza Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:13 am

Nothing. At most it might cause a single atom to decay, but you've got about 1000000000000000000000000 of them, so it doesn't really matter.

Every second of every day you're being bombarded by trillions of particles every second. They pass straight through you, mostly, but occasionally they might hit something and damage it. This could be one of the reasons we have mutations in DNA - if they hit a DNA molecule they could change it slightly.
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 am

So if one hits my daughter just right I might have a four headed grandbaby one day? Cooooool! lol!

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:23 am

CarolinaHound wrote:So if one hits my daughter just right I might have a four headed grandbaby one day? Cooooool! lol!

I guess you could move to Switzerland if you want to improve your odds of getting hit.

Actually, I heard about someone putting their hand in front of one of the beams - not at the LHC, but another one. Had such bad radiation damage they needed it amputated.
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Kazza wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:So if one hits my daughter just right I might have a four headed grandbaby one day? Cooooool! lol!

I guess you could move to Switzerland if you want to improve your odds of getting hit.

Actually, I heard about someone putting their hand in front of one of the beams - not at the LHC, but another one. Had such bad radiation damage they needed it amputated.

I could just imagine the conversation before that happened...... I dare you, no I double dare you. Come on you know nothing bad is going to happen.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum