Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Dance?

5 posters

Go down

Why Dance? Empty Why Dance?

Post by Theophilus Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:11 am

I ask because is it not dancing that shows the true expressions of how you feel. Through dance you cannot really hide your feelings. Is it not the unspoken word that means more than the spoken word. Is dancing a true expression of self?

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Why Dance? Empty Re: Why Dance?

Post by xshivx Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:53 am

I wouldn't say it's a true expression of self but it's definatly a part of you, more the performing side. but dancing does help u vibe out some emotions for sure, the same as singing does, but I don't think it has the more personal side of singing actual words you've wirtten and are feeling xxxxxx
xshivx
xshivx

Female
Taurus Horse
Number of posts : 1115
Job/hobbies : i work as a lobby hostess at mcdonalds, my hobbies are, singing, dancing, playing the drums, writing
Humor : a bit of everything
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by lisan25 Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:01 pm

I don't dance. At all. Not even waltz. I don't like it, I don't feel like it's a form of self expression for me at all. Dance might be a form of expression for some people, but definitely not all.

For me, it's playing an instrument. Give me a piano and I can convey any emotion I'm feeling at the time no matter the song.

Hmmm, maybe it's music that causes someone to express themselves? Dance usually uses some form of music.
lisan25
lisan25

Female
Number of posts : 43
Job/hobbies : Job is taking care of the family. Hobbies? Reading, playing the piano, flute, and keeping up on politics.
Humor : I have none.
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Well, dancing has always been an important part of my life. I have danced forever and it's something that my wife and I, my family and friends really enjoy. We dance at home, at parties and out socially at various events and dance clubs and belong to some dance groups.

Since man began, he has always danced. Dances have been used for ritual purposes, for story telling, to worship and praise what ever deities he believed in, to celebrate crops or weather, as part of a mating ritual, for fun, just for so many reasons.

Dancing to me is full of self-expression and creativity. It is personal, it can be social, it can be private, it can be public. In ballroom dancing for instance, even in competitions, where there are rules and certain steps must be performed, every dancer and every couple has their own unique style. All professional dancers adhere to the basics and then build upon them and create their own steps and their own style. Freestyle is the best example of this, but you will see this in every type of dance.

Dancing to me has always been very intimate and romantic. It affirms (and this is not sexist nor meant to be so don't hate me lol) the role of a man and a woman. What I mean by that, is that in dancing, the women follows the man and he leads. Now she has to trust him and he has to be responsible and accountable. In ballroom dancing (cha cha, rumba, tango, waltz quickstep, foxtrot and even in California swing and country two step, etc., the man is always the FRAME and the woman is always the PICTURE in that frame. It is his job to show her off, as it were. She is the centerpiece. That is the basis of all dancing where partners are connected physically. It's beautiful.

Dancing is wonderful exercise. It takes practice and coordination. It takes rhythm and timing. You build an understanding with your partner. It's very subtle, yet very strong. It's the pressure of a hip, the pressure of a hand or an arm, the movement and shifting of weight, the turn of a foot.

Holding a woman in your arms, pinned to your hip and guiding her across and around a dance floor to some romantic music, is the most wonderful connection and expression of love and partnership. It's is very expressive and you communicate physically with no words at all. You are in sync and become and move fluidly as one. It is pure joy and freedom. It lifts your spirit. You can enjoy each other, the music, others aorund you, if oyu are in a social situation and it's damn fun! I can't ell you how many times I have grabbed Sue when I hear a song I like or we are just fooling around, in the yard, in the kitchen or where ever and we dance. I have danced with her on the beach, on piers, in parks, in restaurants, on the street, in the grocery store, lol anywhere the mood strikes me.

It is the coming together and the re-connection and affirmation of your devotion and partnership with one another. It is physical, mental, emotional and spiritual.

It's never about performing (unless you are dancing professionally and then that is a part and only a part of it), it's much to intimate for that. It is very personal and you make the dance your own, you create your style and your signature. You create whatever mood you want- fun, romantic, serious, classy, graceful, sensual, elegant, joyous, whatever you want the dance to be and where ever you want it to go. There are no limits.

And as you can see below, yes-there is even tango in the park! lmao

Last edited by Put It Out There Baby on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Put It Out There Baby

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:07 pm

Why dance?... is a simple yet complicated question that Theo brings up.

When you think of it, it is primal, as PIOTB pointed out. Even a mother rocking her child, without even realizing it, is a dance of sorts, an instinctual dance. And kids still in diapers dance before they walk. They sway and move and rock about when they hear songs, especially songs they like.

We can dance with a complete stranger and feel a connection; a bond, even if just for the dance, can't be denied. It's a happy feeling that you get when dancing with, almost no matter who, your partner.

Of course, if you are dancing with the one you love the bond is different than that with dancing with a stranger at a wedding, for instance. Nothing sweeter than dancing with your soul-mate and words are not necessary to convey your thoughts. You are expressing your heart through your moves with each other.

I think Lisa brings up an interesting point, too:
"...maybe it's music that causes someone to express themselves? Dance usually uses some form of music."

You can't be sad while eating ice cream, is an old saying. I would say the same is true of dancing!
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 pm

It's funny that you bring up babies and music and dance. All infants, even a few months old, will love music, react to it and move their tiny bodies, arms and legs. I love seeing toddlers dance! lmao I mean the head is bobbing, the feet are stepping, the hips are swaying. They all do this! And, this do this all on their own. Before they can walk they will sit on the couch and hear music and start to couch dance. lol I think dancing and some sort of music is indeed very very primal. Even before there were "real" instruments, man made percussion tools and beat out rhythms and danced and moved to the sounds. It is just something instinctual and it always lifts your spirit and makes you happy. It's incredibly self expressive.

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:18 pm

There was a great vid of a toddler dancing...real, not fake computerized digital crap like some of them out there. Let me see if I can dig it up.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Great! I hope you find it! Tiny children dancing have always cracked me up, warmed my heart and made me smile. The fact that they do this so spontaneously, so unafraid and unabashed, is just wonderful.

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Found it! His parents are so filled with joy. I just love this!

HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:42 pm

OMG!! ROTFL!!! I loved the leg kicks!! LMAO!!! That is so funny, so sweet and so cute! That is exactly what I mean! Cripes, I have watched it 4 times now! That is so fun! I love dancing with my grandkids, putting on the music and freestyling. I used to dance with my own children all the time and all of them had lessons eventually and can dance quit well as adults. I used to carry my daughter around in my arms when she was tiny and we would dance to music all over the house and I would dip her and twirl her. She loved it. Thanks for that video, I am going to share it.

My Mother taught ballroom dancing part-time and my brother and sister and I all learned at an early age. Some of my fondest memories are of her and my Dad always dancing around the house to music.

Last edited by Put It Out There Baby on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lisan25 Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 pm

I love that video! It is very cute! We have one where we went to Joe's Crabshack and the employees did a line dance to "Car Wash", our daughter got up and totally started dancing with them. I think she was 3 at the time. lol

Unfortunately I am just not a dancer. It makes me uncomfortable and I'm really clumsy on the dance floor.
lisan25
lisan25

Female
Job/hobbies : Job is taking care of the family. Hobbies? Reading, playing the piano, flute, and keeping up on politics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:57 pm

I have dated women in the past that felt the same. But, once you have a man that is a good dancer himself and can lead you and show you, you would be amazed at what can happen. It's all in having a good partner really. I bet I could teach you some moves. I have taught several women, even just friends and co-workers and it always turned out better than they could have ever imagined and they enjoyed themselves.

It's sad, because when I was a kid, dance was taught in school and all the dancing was the "old fashioned", connected type of proper dancing. Now, kids miss out on all of that and they never get the real experience of dance and feel they are too clumsy and are shy.

I always loved to hear of couples in their senior years deciding to learn to dance and taking lessons together. It's really such a joy. It's something you can do together forever.

Two weeks ago, we were shopping for groceries in Trader Joes and Frank came on singing Fly Me To The Moon (one of my all time faves) and Sue and I just started doing the FoxTrot in the aisle! lmao It was great! Everyone loved it. It's all about the joy.

Last edited by Put It Out There Baby on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:58 pm

I used to dance with my kids too, especially to Hernando's Hide Away from The Pajama Game. We loved dancing to this!

Not a huge country fan but this is a decent song.
lisan25
lisan25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lisan25 Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Put It Out There Baby wrote:ROTFL! Remember the days when it was manly to be charming, suave, a gentleman and debonaire like Cary Grant, David Niven, Fred Astaire, et al. I always liked that. My Dad was that way. Women loved men like that. The bad boy era was never a good thing, really. lol

I married a "bad boy". But I knew that once he was "tamed" he wouldn't be so bad. Plus he's excellent with his kids. Not so much with other peoples kids, but he is such a pushover with his own! Lol, it's funny. I never thought I'd be the "disciplinarian" parent... but my husband just can't do it. I'll put our daughter in time out and he'll be like "Can she come out yet??".

I like my bad boy. Charming and suave gentleman make me uncomfortable. But I have had a lifelong crush on Humphrey Bogart (not sure if he counts, I think he was more of a bad boy lol). How can you not after seeing Casablanca?? And of course, James Dean. My husband and I are torn, when we finally buy a home (once we know his job is settling him in a location for more than a year or two) we don't know whether to do our bedroom with a cabin/outdoorsy type feel or with a classic feel (we both like classic movies).
lisan25
lisan25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:56 pm

lisan25 wrote:
I'm slightly worse. It's why I don't dance in public. LOL, my husband is the only man who likes my dancing, but that's just because it makes him laugh. It constitutes of fingers pointing random directions and awkward footwork.

But I don't think this thread can go on without this song...

Not a huge country fan but this is a decent song.
In my own words and to my own kids, I want to say what that song says. The words in it are so important and every kid need to be told something to that effect by his parents no matter what the kid's age. Great song and I had never heard it, tbh, because I don't often listen to country. I'm glad I listened.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum