Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worlds Highest Bridges.

5 posters

Go down

Worlds Highest Bridges. Empty Worlds Highest Bridges.

Post by Theophilus Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 am

I really like bridges.

Here is a bridge they are building Mexico.

Link follows..........

http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=Baluarte_Bridge

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Worlds Highest Bridges. Empty Re: Worlds Highest Bridges.

Post by HotParadox Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 am

Theophilus wrote:I really like bridges.

Link follows..........

I like bridges too, old ones and new ones-doesn't matter. The one in Mexico reminds of the Zakim Bridge in Boston that Bruce Springsteen dedicated in 2002. The bridge cost $100 million.

Here's 3 shots of the Zakim Bridge that I thought you might like:

Worlds Highest Bridges. Boston_Skyline_Zakim_Bridge

Worlds Highest Bridges. Boston_Zakim_BR

Worlds Highest Bridges. Zakim
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by xshivx Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:31 am

HotParadox wrote:

Link follows..........

I like bridges too, old ones and new ones-doesn't matter. The one in Mexico reminds of the Zakim Bridge in Boston that Bruce Springsteen dedicated in 2002. The bridge cost $100 million.

oooooooooh there so pretty Very Happy xxxxxx
xshivx
xshivx

Female
Taurus Horse
Number of posts : 1115
Job/hobbies : i work as a lobby hostess at mcdonalds, my hobbies are, singing, dancing, playing the drums, writing
Humor : a bit of everything
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:01 am

Yeah, it's a cool bridge, xs. The lighted bridge at night is amazing. They cover the lights with various color lenses depending on what's going on in the City.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:14 am

Isn't there a bridge called the George Washington bridge in Boston

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:19 am

Bridges are marvelous. Originally to span short distances, but now they can span almost any distance and they are great feats of modern technology and in engineering design and materials. From a simple foot bridge

Worlds Highest Bridges. Simplefootbridge

to this

Worlds Highest Bridges. Longestbridge

Last edited by Put It Out There Baby on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Put It Out There Baby

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:25 am

Worlds Highest Bridges. Photo_lg_westvirginia

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:29 am

Japan

Worlds Highest Bridges. Japan

Last edited by Put It Out There Baby on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:36 am

Old Timer wrote:Isn't there a bridge called the George Washington bridge in Boston

Surely you jest.

I know one thing there is a really, really bad pot hole as you enter into New York City.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:45 am

Worlds Highest Bridges. Member-hurryupandwait-albums-other-picture4161-image

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:48 am

The most romantic bridge

Worlds Highest Bridges. Venice(Bridge_of_Sighs)

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:52 am

Worlds Highest Bridges. 060823_rotterdam

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:53 am

Worlds Highest Bridges. 657254294_d04afa876c_b

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:55 am

Worlds Highest Bridges. 800px-Ponte_estaiada_Octavio_Frias_-_Sao_Paulo

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 am

Worlds Highest Bridges. 9_top_ten

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:59 am

Worlds Highest Bridges. 393394221_95fa55d9c2

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:00 am

Worlds Highest Bridges. 800px-Rainbow_fountain_Seoul

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:06 am

HotParadox wrote:

Link follows..........

I seem not to be able to post without hitting the reply to post button. I have not been to Boston for a while, though I remember having to go there when a lot of the construction was going on, with the bridge and the tunnel. I mainly had to go to Chelsea, to the produce market there.

Though there was that time I went to the produce market right there in Boston. I would up parking in a town not far from there. I do hope that most of construction is done and Boston is a little easier to get through.

I got lost more than a few times in Chelsea, and I hope I am spelling the name of town correctly. With all the construction going on it was easy to get lost. The police there and in Boston were some of the better cops I have ever met.

I had the thinking that the big city cops would be less than friendly, having to deal with the crime that they have to deal with. Though the police there were really helpful to me. When I would up completely lost, they helped me and their attitude was fantastic.

I do love bridges and I would really like if you could tell me why the bridge is named the Zakim bridge. Who was Zakim?

I know I could google that, though I would like if you would tell they story.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:21 am

Hi Eric! Hope you like the pics. I have to hit the sheets, sadly. Early flight again. Take care. Hope to see you very soon for a chat.

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:34 am

Put It Out There Baby wrote:Worlds Highest Bridges. 657254294_d04afa876c_b

My great great grandfather drove the cable cars in San Francisco. Our family was the first in five generations to move out of the Bay Area.

My Mom and Dad told me of my great great grandfather. Talked about what a sports fan he was.

Talked about how his wife would hold up a sign as he went driving by what the score was in the game.

How I wish we never moved out of the Bay Area. I was 11 at the time and was well set there and had many friends.

Seeing the Golden Gate bridge invokes memories

What an accomplishment that was, the Golden Gate bridge.

When you look at what went into the the building of that bridge, it is truly awe inspiring.

Theophilus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:54 am

Theophilus wrote:

I seem not to be able to post without hitting the reply to post button. I have not been to Boston for a while, though I remember having to go there when a lot of the construction was going on, with the bridge and the tunnel. I mainly had to go to Chelsea, to the produce market there.

Though there was that time I went to the produce market right there in Boston. I would up parking in a town not far from there. I do hope that most of construction is done and Boston is a little easier to get through.

I got lost more than a few times in Chelsea, and I hope I am spelling the name of town correctly. With all the construction going on it was easy to get lost. The police there and in Boston were some of the better cops I have ever met.

I had the thinking that the big city cops would be less than friendly, having to deal with the crime that they have to deal with. Though the police there were really helpful to me. When I would up completely lost, they helped me and their attitude was fantastic.

I do love bridges and I would really like if you could tell me why the bridge is named the Zakim bridge. Who was Zakim?

I know I could google that, though I would like if you would tell they story.
The Zakim Bridge was part of The Big Dig and The Big Dig is finally over, Theo. That is the construction you are talking about. My condolences for having to deal with it!

What hell that brought to the city for over a decade. It cost a fortune, billions more than the projected cost; it took mult-years longer than the projected complete date. It started in 1991 and was finished in 2006; and it was riddled with corruption and criminal activity. But the city does look beautiful-that part was a success.

Neighboring Boston and at 2.5 sq miles, Chelsea is the smallest city in MA with a population just under 40,000. Once a dumpy area, it has gone through major beautification is a nice little city. As far as the cops go, I love Boston cops. They're cheery, to put it in one word. I wish they'd come to my town. What a bunch of hard-asses, lol!

Lenny Zakim died of cancer in '98 at 46. He was the man. Huge fighter for civil liberties of all:Jews, blacks, gays-you name it. He really was a crusader is the way I'd put it. The obit here is good:
http://myeloma.org/ArticlePage.action?articleId=457

The bridge is actually called The Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge, named for the City's freedom fighters: Lenny, who fought for the rights and freedom of everyone; and the colonists who fought the Brits in the Battle of Bunker Hill.

Here's just a little history on Lenny and the connection of Lenny to the bridge:

"The Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge, part of The Big Dig Project in Boston, is one of the widest cable-stayed bridges in the world. The Bridge serves as the northern entrance to and exit from Boston. The Bridge is named after civil rights activist Lenny Zakim and the American colonists who fought the British in the Battle of Bunker Hill.

"The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is setting a wonderful precedent in naming this bridge after Lenny Zakim and the citizens who fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill, I am proud that we are celebrating the ideals of patriotism, freedom and diversity by dedicating this bridge in their honor. May this remind us all of the difference that one person's decision to stand up to injustice and fight for freedom, respect and diversity can make in the lives of others and in the history of our nation." Governor Jane Swift at 2002 Bridge dedication.

"The dedication of the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge will showcase the diversity and the unity of race, religion and personal background that exists in Boston today because of the work of community leaders like Lenny Zakim and because patriots fought long ago in Charlestown to make our country independent." Mayor Tom Menino at 2002 Bridge dedication.

"Lenny lived by the belief that each of us has a moral responsibility to make the world a better, more inclusive and respectful place for all people. He worked tirelessly to build personal bridges between our city's diverse people and neighborhoods. He would be so proud to know that this magnificent structure will stand as a symbol of unity, hope and respect for all Bostonians," Joyce Zakim, wife of activist Lenny Zakim at 2002 Bridge dedication."

Check out this link about Lenny and stuff about the Big Dig. This is an awesome link:
http://www.leonardpzakimbunkerhillbridge.org/

Also, one man's opinion on the Big Dig
http://i08.cgpublisher.com/proposals/931/index_html

"The Road to Hell: The Corruption and Malfeasance of Boston's "Big Dig"
By:
Dr. Michael W. Smith

The cost of Boston’s “Big Dig” has ballooned to over $15 billion. In September 1983, this 7.5 mile highway project was originally proposed with a completion date of 1995 and for a cost of $2.2 billion. In 1980, a Special Commission Concerning State and County Buildings (know as the “Ward Commission”) filed a final report on corruption in the award of state and county construction projects in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and found that: 1) Corruption was a way of life in Massachusetts; 2) Sub-standard construction was the norm; and 3) Political influence, not professional performance, was the prime criterion for doing business in the Commonwealth. While some of the Ward Commission’s recommendations were enacted into law, many important recommendations, especially the elimination of the filed sub-bid system, were not enacted. The purpose of this paper is to analyze how the failure of Massachusetts governmental officials to implement the recommendations of the Ward Commission and their promotion of a culture of malfeasance and political corruption has resulted in the mostly costly and sub-standard public works project in the history of the United States.

Keywords: "Big Dig", Political Corruption, Corruption, Malfeasance, White-Collar Crime, Official Deviance
Stream: Politics, Public Policy and Law
Presentation Type: Virtual Presentation in English
Paper: , , , , The Road to Hell"
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:58 am

Put It Out There Baby wrote:Hi Eric! Hope you like the pics. I have to hit the sheets, sadly. Early flight again. Take care. Hope to see you very soon for a chat.
All the pics are beautiful, PIOTB. It's hard for me to pick a favorite, but the bridge in the clouds took my breath away.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:06 am

Old Timer wrote:Isn't there a bridge called the George Washington bridge in Boston

No, I think that's in New York, OT.

You might be thinking of The Longfellow Bridge:

Worlds Highest Bridges. 800px-10

Longfellow Bridge at night:

Worlds Highest Bridges. Limblu10
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Theophilus wrote:
Put It Out There Baby wrote:Worlds Highest Bridges. 657254294_d04afa876c_b

My great great grandfather drove the cable cars in San Francisco. Our family was the first in five generations to move out of the Bay Area.

My Mom and Dad told me of my great great grandfather. Talked about what a sports fan he was.

Talked about how his wife would hold up a sign as he went driving by what the score was in the game.

How I wish we never moved out of the Bay Area. I was 11 at the time and was well set there and had many friends.

Seeing the Golden Gate bridge invokes memories

What an accomplishment that was, the Golden Gate bridge.

When you look at what went into the the building of that bridge, it is truly awe inspiring.
I had no idea of this! Really interesting. It's a great city, always has been. The bridge was and still is one of this country's great landmarks, really. It is recognized around the world. Do you ever get back there to visit?

Put It Out There Baby

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:04 am

It is a great city, PIOTB...

and I love your story, Theo.

I spent a lot of time in Cali and I regret that I never paid more attention to its beautiful bridges when I was there.

I love pics of bridges at night and dawn. This is a great pic of The Golden Gate Bridge at what appears to be dawn:

Worlds Highest Bridges. Baybri10
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down