Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scientific method...

5 posters

Go down

Scientific method... Empty Scientific method...

Post by Kazza Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 pm

My group submitted a paper to a prestigious journal a few months ago. This was a precursor to a better, more advanced paper that I've been working on, but since it covered a simpler system we felt it would be better to pubilsh the simple one first.

First one was accepted. My one was rejected. Despite being a much better paper in all respects.

What's more annoying is that the reviewer obviously only skimmed over the paper (eg. the paper was about Titanium, but in his critique he refers to Vanadium, which is a completely different element). And in other parts he completely misunderstood it (which, admittedly, might mean we need to do a better job at explaining ourselves).

Anyway, not such a big deal, it just eats up lots of time. Now we need to address the responses, and delicately point out that the reviewer is a moron. If that doesn't work then we just submit to the next most prestigous journal (or perhaps one even more prestigious. My supervisor wants to submit to Nature, but I think it's unlikely to be published there.) Like I said, not such a big deal, but annoying because it means at least a month or more hold up on the next papers that we want to submit that follow on from this one.

Grr... Just needed to vent...

/rant
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Scientific method... Empty Re: Scientific method...

Post by HotParadox Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:25 am

Kazza wrote:My group submitted a paper to a prestigious journal a few months ago. This was a precursor to a better, more advanced paper that I've been working on, but since it covered a simpler system we felt it would be better to pubilsh the simple one first.

First one was accepted. My one was rejected. Despite being a much better paper in all respects.

What's more annoying is that the reviewer obviously only skimmed over the paper (eg. the paper was about Titanium, but in his critique he refers to Vanadium, which is a completely different element). And in other parts he completely misunderstood it (which, admittedly, might mean we need to do a better job at explaining ourselves).

Anyway, not such a big deal, it just eats up lots of time. Now we need to address the responses, and delicately point out that the reviewer is a moron. If that doesn't work then we just submit to the next most prestigous journal (or perhaps one even more prestigious. My supervisor wants to submit to Nature, but I think it's unlikely to be published there.) Like I said, not such a big deal, but annoying because it means at least a month or more hold up on the next papers that we want to submit that follow on from this one.

/rant
I can't tell you how much this bothers me. You put so much time and effort into this, never mind the years of study spent to get you to a place where you are able to contribute your ideas/work/findings to a prestigious journal. And then they basically skim over it.
On a much lower level, this is done to even very young school children who put so much thought and work into their projects and papers. It sends a subliminal message to kids that they are insignificant and not worthy of praise. It all starts early, as you know, K. And when it happens to your own little ones...well, let's just say that the frustration you feel now will be ten-fold.
I'm certain that you will be recognized WORLDWIDE regardless of this careless pack of reviewers.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:15 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Kazza wrote:My group submitted a paper to a prestigious journal a few months ago. This was a precursor to a better, more advanced paper that I've been working on, but since it covered a simpler system we felt it would be better to pubilsh the simple one first.

/rant
I can't tell you how much this bothers me. You put so much time and effort into this, never mind the years of study spent to get you to a place where you are able to contribute your ideas/work/findings to a prestigious journal. And then they basically skim over it.
On a much lower level, this is done to even very young school children who put so much thought and work into their projects and papers. It sends a subliminal message to kids that they are insignificant and not worthy of praise. It all starts early, as you know, K. And when it happens to your own little ones...well, let's just say that the frustration you feel now will be ten-fold.
I'm certain that you will be recognized WORLDWIDE regardless of this careless pack of reviewers.

Thanks HP. Unfortunately this happens sometimes. In the long run, it's better that reviewers are too harsh than too gentle - it maintains the high quality of published papers. But still, frustrating when they don't take the time to understand the work properly.
Kazza
Kazza

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Kazza wrote:
HotParadox wrote:

/rant

Thanks HP. Unfortunately this happens sometimes. In the long run, it's better that reviewers are too harsh than too gentle - it maintains the high quality of published papers. But still, frustrating when they don't take the time to understand the work properly.

I was aways told that one sucess was the result of many failures. You cannot give up, but must continue to apply and doing so will greatly enhance your chances of sucess. Wish you the very best and good luck.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Qi123 Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Old Timer wrote:
I was always told that one success was the result of many failures. You cannot give up, but must continue to apply and doing so will greatly enhance your chances of success. Wish you the very best and good luck.

I agree, and invent Kazzaium. Plenty people will write papers about it. Wink

Qi123

Male
Pisces Rat
Number of posts : 281
Humor : Hahaha
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:02 am

quote: [Kazza]:

"My group submitted a paper to a prestigious journal a few months ago. This was a precursor to a better, more advanced paper that I've been working on, but since it covered a simpler system we felt it would be better to pubilsh the simple one first."

You obviously should have began with with "what we thought was a prestigious journal". If I were you, I wouldn't ever bother again sending them further materials...
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks for the sentiments guys Very Happy.

As it turns out, even though most of the things that the referree said were entirely stupid, there was one effect he mentioned that I will need to look in to for future papers. In the end, it will make our work even stronger, and I'm learning a lot by writing up a proper response to his criticisms, so that's good too.
Kazza
Kazza

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum