Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pert dern stupid...

2 posters

Go down

Pert dern stupid... Empty Pert dern stupid...

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:23 pm

I just really think this sort of training is rather stupid. The biggest fault, in my opinion, lies with dummies that decided to run this type of operation.

Trial set for Moore deputy in 2002 shooting of soldiers

GREENSBORO, N.C. — A lawsuit accusing a Moore County deputy of excessive force in a 2002 shooting that killed a soldier during Special Forces training in central North Carolina was scheduled to go to trial this week.

Stephen Phelps and the estate of Tallas Tomeny have sued the Moore County Sheriff's Department and the deputy, Randall Butler. Their lawsuit scheduled for trial Tuesday contends that Butler fired at the men without provocation after the deputy pulled over their truck.

Court documents portray a chaotic scene on Feb. 23, 2002, that remains in dispute.

The soldiers believed Butler was part of the annual role playing exercise called Robin Sage in which Green Beret candidates spend 19 days in the communities near Fort Bragg. Their lawsuit says Tomeny repeatedly used a common code word to indicate that they were part of the exercise.

Butler shot Tomeny after searching him, according to the lawsuit. The complaint says the deputy shot Phelps as he tried to run from the scene. Neither was armed with a weapon at the time.

Their lawsuit accuses Butler of "reckless indifference and callous disregard" for the rights of the men and it seeks unspecified damages.

Butler contends in his own lawsuit against the federal government that he wasn't aware of the training exercise. He pulled over the truck because it was suspicious and reported seeing what appeared to be two machine guns in a bag.

Butler says in his complaint that Tomeny lunged to grab for the deputy's holstered weapon before Butler sprayed him with pepper spray. He said he shot at Phelps after the soldier jumped out of the back of the truck and rummaged through the bag where the deputy saw the machine guns, refusing to stop on command. And he said he shot at Tomeny, believing that soldier was reaching for a gun.

The deputy's lawsuit hasn't yet been scheduled for trial.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/6184493/

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Pert dern stupid... Empty Re: Pert dern stupid...

Post by Old Timer Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Those that placed those soldiers in such a stupid position should also be held accountable.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Old Timer wrote:Those that placed those soldiers in such a stupid position should also be held accountable.

You aint just wistlin dixie there buddy.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:37 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:Those that placed those soldiers in such a stupid position should also be held accountable.

You aint just wistlin dixie there buddy.

I was stationed at both Ft. Gordon and FT. Braggs. I fully understand what happened.

Hey how do you like the picture of me in my younger days.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:02 am

Looks like you were right spry back then.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down