Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roman Polanski

5 posters

Go down

Roman Polanski Empty Roman Polanski

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:11 pm

I don't care how many years ago it was. Even if she did concent, which she didn't, I don't care. He still had sex with a child and deserves ten times what he would have and still might get. It really burns me up thinking how many other kids he did this to in the time he's been loose. It also burns my ass that people think they should let him go and forget it. I guess they think as long as you are an "artist" it's just eccentricity and should be over looked. I really wonder how they'd feel if it had have been them or their daughter. If there's any justice in the system of law, he will spend many a moon in a cell with Bubba getting exactly what he gave.

Roman Polanski Raped a Child: A Primer
Kate Dailey
Readers of this column may remember that I am a big fan of America's rule of law, wherein after one is convicted of a crime, one is sentenced accordingly, then given a chance to start anew once that sentence has been served. That's why I was pleased to see that Roman Polanski had been arrested in Switzerland: I believe that if you plead guilty to unlawful sex with a minor, you should serve your jail sentence instead of fleeing to Europe and living a charmed life for 30 years. (I understand that the concept of "starting anew' is made more complicated when it comes to sex with children, but legal measures like Megan's Law were not in effect in 1977.)

But there's also a contingent of journalists, intellectuals, and film buffs who are outraged over Polanksi's arrest, and base that outrage on multiple objections. There have been a lot of smart and convincing rebuttals to these objections, most notably Kate Harding's forceful, powerful essay on Salon, "Reminder: Roman Polanski Raped a Child."

In deference to that piece (from which we took our title), we put together a small guide to the most common objections to Polanski's arrest, along with some of the best responses.

But it wasn't "rape" rape.

Polanski pleaded guilty to unlawful sex with a minor (which is statutory rape) to avoid a trial. In some cases, statutory rape is consensual sex performed between two people. In this case, according to the grand-jury testimony, the victim clearly asked Polanski to stop, and he did not. According to the The Smoking Gun, which has the grand-jury transcripts, "Asked why she did not more forcefully resist Polanski, the teenager told Deputy D.A. Roger Gunson, "Because I was afraid of him." That, in fact, is "rape" rape.

But hey, I'm a law-and-order kind of gal, and Polanski pleaded to a lesser charge─in other words, he confessed only to the "unlawful sex," not rape. That's still illegal. And fleeing the country before sentencing? Also illegal. So even though the letter of the law finds him guilty of a less-horrific crime than the one of which he's accused, he's still guilty of a crime. And when you are guilty of a crime, you have to face the consequences, even if you are rich and powerful and have lots of connections.

The crime was 30 years ago! He's been living on the run ever since. Hasn't he been punished enough?

Punished how? By his gorgeous Paris apartment and his jet-setting European lifestyle and his long and illustrious career? Apparently so:

See, you or I might think that not going back to the U.S. or U.K. is an action Polanski took in order to make sure that, having raped a minor and fled the country,he would not be rearrested. But you or I would be wrong. In fact these are punishments that Polanski has suffered. (Kieran Healy at Crooked Timber)

Polanski was living a life of his own choosing for the past 30 years. He chose to leave the country. He chose to stay out of the country. That's not a punishment.

But he has a really hard life.

First and foremost, "most Holocaust survivors did not grow up to become rapists."

And when they do, do you know what happens? The American justice system has a system in place for that. Says David Poland, "Tell it to the judge. They are called extenuating circumstances ... You don't get a free pass because you have suffered."

The rest of the article....
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2009/09/29/roman-polanski-raped-a-child-a-primer.aspx?GT1=43002

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Roman Polanski Empty Re: Roman Polanski

Post by Night-Reaper Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:53 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:I don't care how many years ago it was. Even if she did concent, which she didn't, I don't care. He still had sex with a child and deserves ten times what he would have and still might get. It really burns me up thinking how many other kids he did this to in the time he's been loose. It also burns my ass that people think they should let him go and forget it. I guess they think as long as you are an "artist" it's just eccentricity and should be over looked. I really wonder how they'd feel if it had have been them or their daughter. If there's any justice in the system of law, he will spend many a moon in a cell with Bubba getting exactly what he gave.

Kate Dailey
Readers of this column may remember that I am a big fan of America's rule of law, wherein after one is convicted of a crime, one is sentenced accordingly, then given a chance to start anew once that sentence has been served. That's why I was pleased to see that Roman Polanski had been arrested in Switzerland: I believe that if you plead guilty to unlawful sex with a minor, you should serve your jail sentence instead of fleeing to Europe and living a charmed life for 30 years. (I understand that the concept of "starting anew' is made more complicated when it comes to sex with children, but legal measures like Megan's Law were not in effect in 1977.)

But there's also a contingent of journalists, intellectuals, and film buffs who are outraged over Polanksi's arrest, and base that outrage on multiple objections. There have been a lot of smart and convincing rebuttals to these objections, most notably Kate Harding's forceful, powerful essay on Salon, "Reminder: Roman Polanski Raped a Child."

In deference to that piece (from which we took our title), we put together a small guide to the most common objections to Polanski's arrest, along with some of the best responses.

Polanski pleaded guilty to unlawful sex with a minor (which is statutory rape) to avoid a trial. In some cases, statutory rape is consensual sex performed between two people. In this case, according to the grand-jury testimony, the victim clearly asked Polanski to stop, and he did not. According to the The Smoking Gun, which has the grand-jury transcripts, "Asked why she did not more forcefully resist Polanski, the teenager told Deputy D.A. Roger Gunson, "Because I was afraid of him." That, in fact, is "rape" rape.

But hey, I'm a law-and-order kind of gal, and Polanski pleaded to a lesser charge─in other words, he confessed only to the "unlawful sex," not rape. That's still illegal. And fleeing the country before sentencing? Also illegal. So even though the letter of the law finds him guilty of a less-horrific crime than the one of which he's accused, he's still guilty of a crime. And when you are guilty of a crime, you have to face the consequences, even if you are rich and powerful and have lots of connections.

The crime was 30 years ago! He's been living on the run ever since. Hasn't he been punished enough?

Punished how? By his gorgeous Paris apartment and his jet-setting European lifestyle and his long and illustrious career? Apparently so:

See, you or I might think that not going back to the U.S. or U.K. is an action Polanski took in order to make sure that, having raped a minor and fled the country,he would not be rearrested. But you or I would be wrong. In fact these are punishments that Polanski has suffered. (Kieran Healy at Crooked Timber)

Polanski was living a life of his own choosing for the past 30 years. He chose to leave the country. He chose to stay out of the country. That's not a punishment.

First and foremost, "most Holocaust survivors did not grow up to become rapists."

And when they do, do you know what happens? The American justice system has a system in place for that. Says David Poland, "Tell it to the judge. They are called extenuating circumstances ... You don't get a free pass because you have suffered."

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2009/09/29/roman-polanski-raped-a-child-a-primer.aspx?GT1=43002
I'm in total ageement with you man, you bring up a good point CH! Roman Polanski needs to have hard-justice served to him. Twisted Evil
Night-Reaper
Night-Reaper

Male
Number of posts : 832
Humor : being a wise cracker
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Night-Reaper wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:I don't care how many years ago it was. Even if she did concent, which she didn't, I don't care. He still had sex with a child and deserves ten times what he would have and still might get. It really burns me up thinking how many other kids he did this to in the time he's been loose. It also burns my ass that people think they should let him go and forget it. I guess they think as long as you are an "artist" it's just eccentricity and should be over looked. I really wonder how they'd feel if it had have been them or their daughter. If there's any justice in the system of law, he will spend many a moon in a cell with Bubba getting exactly what he gave.

Kate Dailey

I'm in total ageement with you man, you bring up a good point CH! Roman Polanski needs to have hard-justice served to him. Twisted Evil

Yep, nothing like hard-justice to change a fella's ways. affraid Twisted Evil

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:49 am

AMEN bro.

And, boy, did you ever say it good. Bingo, bulls-eye, hit-it-outta-the-park good. Just sayin'...
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:27 am

HotParadox wrote:
AMEN bro.

And, boy, did you ever say it good. Bingo, bulls-eye, hit-it-outta-the-park good. Just sayin'...

First they should let me and the Dawg take him out into the back woods for a little walk and talk. Guaranteed he would never hurt another little girl. Then he can go to jail and see bubba.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:41 am

Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
AMEN bro.

First they should let me and the Dawg take him out into the back woods for a little walk and talk. Guaranteed he would never hurt another little girl. Then he can go to jail and see bubba.
oh ya, that's actually a good idea, ot. this is the problem we got here, ot. the guy ADMITTED that he raped that little girl and you've got these la-la land nut cases like debra winger, a washed-up hollywood has been, speaking out on his behalf. wtf? i haven't heard a peep from her since just before her career went belly up and, suddenly, she's got to open her big mouth??? this woman and other hollywood losers need a bite of reality, right where it hits home-their own kids and family.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:48 am

HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
AMEN bro.

oh ya, that's actually a good idea, ot. this is the problem we got here, ot. the guy ADMITTED that he raped that little girl and you've got these la-la land nut cases like debra winger, a washed-up hollywood has been, speaking out on his behalf. wtf? i haven't heard a peep from her since just before her career went belly up and, suddenly, she's got to open her big mouth??? this woman and other hollywood losers need a bite of reality, right where it hits home-their own kids and family.

They are just trying to jump on the bandwagon and maybe get noticed and find a bit part in one of roman's movies.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:12 pm

Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
AMEN bro.

They are just trying to jump on the bandwagon and maybe get noticed and find a bit part in one of roman's movies.
they probably are banking on him walking and getting work from him-i agree. sad thing is, i bet he walks. nobody likes to upset the stars. ewwwwww can't upset the delicate stars. gag me
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
AMEN bro.

He'd never make it to jail. Twisted Evil

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:53 pm

HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
AMEN bro.

they probably are banking on him walking and getting work from him-i agree. sad thing is, i bet he walks. nobody likes to upset the stars. ewwwwww can't upset the delicate stars. gag me

That's exactly what it is. A hope for a refreshed carrer with a part.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:53 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
AMEN bro.

That's exactly what it is. A hope for a refreshed carrer with a part.
ya that's it doggieboy. problem is so many of us who are repulsed by this whole debacle will probably go see his movies that they wind up in. not any of us here but just sayin' people in general. kinda like how michael jackson, who admitted, no-boasted, that he slept in the same bed with kids, is a freaking hero. i'm not saying he necessarily raped a kid. still, he was a perv. grrrr.........
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:29 pm

I won't try to judge what punishment he deserves, or whether his life was any sort of excuse, or anything like that. There's a judge and a jury to do that. But that's precisely why they're there. All these people arguing that he's suffered or that he's had a hard life ignore the fact that there are people and systems in place to take that into consideration, and he deliberately avoided them. Regardless of what punishment people think he should be afforded for the crime, the whole point of the matter is that he avoided the proper justice systems that are in place. He should be extradited, and forced to sit through a proper trial.
Kazza
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Kazza wrote:

I won't try to judge what punishment he deserves, or whether his life was any sort of excuse, or anything like that. There's a judge and a jury to do that. But that's precisely why they're there. All these people arguing that he's suffered or that he's had a hard life ignore the fact that there are people and systems in place to take that into consideration, and he deliberately avoided them. Regardless of what punishment people think he should be afforded for the crime, the whole point of the matter is that he avoided the proper justice systems that are in place. He should be extradited, and forced to sit through a proper trial.
that's right, k. all i ask is that he be subjected to a fair trial, just like anyone else, regardless of his status, etc. i bet it won't happen, though.
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:38 am

HotParadox wrote:
Kazza wrote:

that's right, k. all i ask is that he be subjected to a fair trial, just like anyone else, regardless of his status, etc. i bet it won't happen, though.

That is when that long walk in the woods starts to sound good to me.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum