Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny Being Manny, Only Like a Chick

2 posters

Go down

Manny Being Manny, Only Like a Chick Empty Manny Being Manny, Only Like a Chick

Post by HotParadox Thu May 07, 2009 8:59 pm

Good. He broke my heart when he left my Bo-Sox. He was my favorite player, now he's a girly-boy. queen flower

latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manny-ramirez8-2009may08,0,6324894.story
From the Los Angeles Times
BASEBALL
Dodgers' Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games after failing drug test
The suspension, for using what a source says is a female fertility drug Manny Being Manny, Only Like a Chick Images10 , begins tonight and will cost him $7.7 million. Ramirez takes responsibility, while the Dodgers support the testing program and their star slugger.
By Bill Shaikin and Dylan Hernandez

5:16 PM PDT, May 7, 2009

Manny Ramirez, the most popular and most talented of the Dodgers players, was suspended for 50 games today after testing positive for what a source identified as a drug most commonly used in the treatment of female infertility. Manny Being Manny, Only Like a Chick Images10

The suspension will cost the Dodgers left fielder $7.7 million, or roughly 31% of his $25-million salary. Players in violation of baseball's drug policy are not paid during suspensions.

In a late afternoon news conference, Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti and Manager Joe Torre put their support behind Major League Baseball's testing program and behind their team's top hitter.

"It's a void in our clubhouse and out on the field," Torre said of losing Ramirez. "We still continue to need Manny and we look forward to getting Manny back."

Torre also said he talked with Ramirez and held a team meeting.

"He feels very badly," Torre said of Ramirez. "Right now he's trying to gather his thoughts. It doesn't mean the guys out here like him any less. We're going to support him. . . . There's still a human being behind this thing. That's not to say we condone what went on."

Ramirez, in a statement, blamed the test result on prescription medication for what he called "a personal health issue."

Colletti made clear that he would support Ramirez.

"The Los Angeles Dodgers completely supports the testing to keep this game clean. Whenever somebody makes a mistake and they accept responsibility . . . are contrite, it's a plus," Colletti said. "And that's what Manny did today. Had he dismissed it or acted like it was somebody else's fault, I'd really have a tough time with it. But that he takes ownership of what transpired speaks to the man . . . that's not bad . . . that's part of being human."

Both Torre and Colletti rejected the idea that Ramirez's positive test was a betrayal and told reporters instead they were instead "saddened, disappointed" by the news.

Ramirez tested positive during spring training for "a banned performance-enhancing substance that is not technically an anabolic steroid," according to a source not authorized to speak publicly about the issue.

The substance, identified by the source as human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG), could legitimately be prescribed for a man who does not naturally produce enough testosterone, according to a high-ranking sports doping authority. But HCG often is used as an antidote to diminished testosterone levels at the end of a cycle of steroid treatments, said BALCO founder and convicted steroid dealer Victor Conte.

HCG is one of dozens of substances prohibited under baseball's drug policy. Players can call a hotline to check on the legality of any substances, and they can obtain a therapeutic use exemption for any legitimate medical use of a banned substance.

"This is failing more than a drug test," Conte said. "This is failing an IQ test.

"He can call an 800 number to ask about any product that he's taking. To think that a player who's making $45 million didn't do that, or have any agent or any of his numerous advisors check out what he said was a prescribed medication defies belief."

The Dodgers said they would not open the clubhouse to reporters as usual before batting practice. Before the news conference, the only team comment came in a statement from Chief Executive Jamie McCourt.

"We share the disappointment felt by our fans, our players, and every member of our organization," McCourt said in that statement. "We support the policies of Major League Baseball, and we will welcome Manny back upon his return."

The suspension takes effect with tonight's game against the Washington Nationals. Ramirez, who will not be eligible to return until July 3, was replaced on the roster by triple-A outfielder Xavier Paul.

The Times first reported the suspension early this morning.

In a statement issued by the players union, Ramirez traced the test result to medication prescribed by his doctor for a "personal health issue." He did not identify the issue, the medication or the doctor.

"He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was okay to give me," Ramirez said in the statement. "Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now."

Ramirez noted that he had passed "about 15" drug tests over the last five years. He continued: "I want to apologize to Mr. McCourt, Mrs. McCourt, Mr. Torre, my teammates, the Dodger organization, and to the Dodger fans. LA is a special place to me and I know everybody is disappointed. So am I. I'm sorry about this whole situation."

Rob Manfred, baseball's top labor lawyer, flew from New York to Los Angeles on Tuesday, in anticipation of an appeal hearing on Wednesday, but the appeal was dropped. Ramirez did not appear in the clubhouse after the Dodgers' 10-3 victory over the Washington Nationals Wednesday night.

Ramirez becomes the biggest star suspended under an often-criticized major league testing program that started in 2003. He had been a model citizen since arriving in L.A. last August, following a stormy tenure with the Boston Red Sox.

This is the second drug scandal to rock baseball within four months. In a year in which baseball officials hoped their greatest concern would be the slumping economy, the two best paid players in the game have been revealed to have failed a drug test.

Alex Rodriguez, the game's highest paid player, acknowledged during a February news conference that he used steroids from 2001 to 2003. The admission followed a Sports Illustrated report that he failed a drug test in 2003, when players were not subject to suspension.

The loss of Ramirez leaves a gaping hole in the Dodgers' lineup. Juan Pierre, the likely replacement for Ramirez in left field, has batted ninth in two of his five starts this season.

Ramirez doubled and drove in two runs on Wednesday, as the Dodgers set a major league record with their 13th consecutive home victory at the start of the season. The Dodgers have the best record in the major leagues, 21-8, and the biggest division lead in the majors, at 6 1/2 games in the National League West.

Ramirez leads the Dodgers in batting average (.348), on-base percentage (.492) and slugging percentage (.641), and he is tied for the team lead in home runs with six.

He signed a two-year, $45-million contract with the Dodgers in March, with the first year guaranteed at $25 million and the second year at his option at $20 million.

In an appearance at USC last month, Jose Canseco said Ramirez's name "is most likely, 90%" on a list of 104 players that failed a drug test in 2003. The players were promised anonymity for taking tests in 2003; Rodriguez is the only player who has been identified among that group.

Ramirez laughed when Times columnist Kurt Streeter relayed Canseco's allegation to him.

"I got no comment, nothing to say about that," Ramirez told Streeter. "What can I say? I don't even know the guy."

bill.shaikin@latimes.com

dylan.hernandez@latimes.com

Times staff writer Lance Pugmire contributed to this report.

Last edited by HotParadox on Thu May 07, 2009 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Manny Being Manny, Only Like a Chick Empty Re: Manny Being Manny, Only Like a Chick

Post by CarolinaHound Thu May 07, 2009 10:10 pm

I wonder what drug that was. My doc has me on folic acid. My ex had to take that big time when she was going through fertility treatment.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Manny Being Manny, Only Like a Chick Empty Re: Manny Being Manny, Only Like a Chick

Post by HotParadox Thu May 07, 2009 10:18 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:I wonder what drug that was. My doc has me on folic acid. My ex had to take that big time when she was going through fertility treatment.
uh uh. it is not a drug. folic acid, aka folate, is a b vitamin most readily found in leafy green veggies and is essential for the proper development of the fetus. it is also an essential vitamin for all of us, male or female, young or old.
manny was taking a girly fertility drug. maybe it works differently on guys. maybe he needed it, if you know what i mean. bounce
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Fri May 08, 2009 6:23 pm

HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:I wonder what drug that was. My doc has me on folic acid. My ex had to take that big time when she was going through fertility treatment.
uh uh. it is not a drug. folic acid, aka folate, is a b vitamin most readily found in leafy green veggies and is essential for the proper development of the fetus. it is also an essential vitamin for all of us, male or female, young or old.
manny was taking a girly fertility drug. maybe it works differently on guys. maybe he needed it, if you know what i mean. bounce

Ahh, the stuff he was taking was to offset the effects of steroids and bump up the testosterone.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum