Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heard Of "Popobawa" Lately?

5 posters

Go down

Heard Of "Popobawa" Lately? Empty Heard Of "Popobawa" Lately?

Post by coontie Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:54 pm

Popobawa is a Swahili name which translates literally as "bat-wing" (from Swahili popo, "bat", and bawa, "wing"). They are also commonly known as zain haiders. This name is said to have originated as a description of the dark shadow cast by the spirit when it attacks at night: it does not refer to the actual form of the spirit, which is liable to change. Swahili speakers also use a plural form of the name - mapopobawa - to refer to multiple manifestations of the feared spirit. This plural is anglicized as "Popobawas" (Walsh 2005).

[edit] Description and behaviour
Popobawa is variously described as either a ghost or ogre with gigantic bat wings. At times he is simply known as "Khalid Khanzada". He is sometimes thought to be a shapeshifter who looks like an ordinary human during the day and turns into Rizwan "Charnobal" at night. His presence is usually announced by the sound of scraping claws on their roof and a sharp, pungent smell. Different from other incubus legends, Popobawa primarily attacks men and only in their own beds, resulting in many men sleeping outside in streets or on porches after recent reported attacks. He attacks men as they sleep, overpowering them, holding their face to the floor and forcefully sodomizing them for up to an hour or so. People who claim to be victims of Popobawa are mostly poorer residents on the island of Pemba, though other reports have also come from other islands and coastal Tanzania. The victims are threatened with repeated, and longer, sodomizations if they do not let their friends and neighbors know of their experience. It is thought that Popobawa reports are the result of episodes of sleep paralysis.

Men: Beware of [b]"POPOBAWA", especially since this is still the "Ides Of March"... Shocked Twisted Evil Razz
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat
Number of posts : 999
Job/hobbies : elect. engr., comp. sys. Astrologer, Horticulture
Humor : Yes...
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Heard Of "Popobawa" Lately? Empty Re: Heard Of "Popobawa" Lately?

Post by Old Timer Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:59 pm

coontie wrote:Popobawa is a Swahili name which translates literally as "bat-wing" (from Swahili popo, "bat", and bawa, "wing"). They are also commonly known as zain haiders. This name is said to have originated as a description of the dark shadow cast by the spirit when it attacks at night: it does not refer to the actual form of the spirit, which is liable to change. Swahili speakers also use a plural form of the name - mapopobawa - to refer to multiple manifestations of the feared spirit. This plural is anglicized as "Popobawas" (Walsh 2005).

Popobawa is variously described as either a ghost or ogre with gigantic bat wings. At times he is simply known as "Khalid Khanzada". He is sometimes thought to be a shapeshifter who looks like an ordinary human during the day and turns into Rizwan "Charnobal" at night. His presence is usually announced by the sound of scraping claws on their roof and a sharp, pungent smell. Different from other incubus legends, Popobawa primarily attacks men and only in their own beds, resulting in many men sleeping outside in streets or on porches after recent reported attacks. He attacks men as they sleep, overpowering them, holding their face to the floor and forcefully sodomizing them for up to an hour or so. People who claim to be victims of Popobawa are mostly poorer residents on the island of Pemba, though other reports have also come from other islands and coastal Tanzania. The victims are threatened with repeated, and longer, sodomizations if they do not let their friends and neighbors know of their experience. It is thought that Popobawa reports are the result of episodes of sleep paralysis.

Men: Beware of [b]"POPOBAWA", especially since this is still the "Ides Of March"... Shocked Twisted Evil Razz

Yep. I heard that he may be hiding in the White House. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Old Timer wrote:
coontie wrote:Popobawa is a Swahili name which translates literally as "bat-wing" (from Swahili popo, "bat", and bawa, "wing"). They are also commonly known as zain haiders. This name is said to have originated as a description of the dark shadow cast by the spirit when it attacks at night: it does not refer to the actual form of the spirit, which is liable to change. Swahili speakers also use a plural form of the name - mapopobawa - to refer to multiple manifestations of the feared spirit. This plural is anglicized as "Popobawas" (Walsh 2005).

Yep. I heard that he may be hiding in the White House. Very Happy

You never stop, do you? One might get the impression that you're prejudice; in more ways than one...
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Just the person. Not the race. If you or any one here knew me personally they would tell you the same thing. I cannot help it but there is just something about him that doesn't ring true. And I really do believe that he was groomed and is a puppet.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:11 pm

interesting, i have never heard of popobawa before...is it relating to voodoo in any way???
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:25 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:interesting, i have never heard of popobawa before...is it relating to voodoo in any way???

It seems to come from the same region. I found this on Wikipedia while researching some other information. You have probably used that online resource. Enter the word and there's more info. Some very interesting material on there...
It seems to be a single entity. That is one creature, that shape-shifts from a human by day to a large Bat-like creature at night. It doesn't bother women, just men. It sometimes speaks through women in a man'svoice.
It is also refrred to as a "Zain-Haider, as well as Khalid Khanzada. In it's nightime mode it is called "Rizwan Charnabal""

It keeps a lot of men from sleeping well at night... I know some of you women would like to put it's evil on to some men you know! Shocked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Razz
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:27 pm

this is just folklore I assume...
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:this is just folklore I assume...

No, it seems to be current and active and people really believe in it and are 'freaking out'. Of course, [you mentioned 'Voodoo'] these people are really uneducated and ignorant and highly superstitious. I often hear of other such situations developing in those areas.
But then, certain individuals may be taking advantage of the situation and doing this to others on their own. Then... Hey!!! IT was Popobawa that visited in the night.
It has people sleeping in the streets and ditches...

Last edited by coontie on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Never heard of it. Heard of bawitdaba
But not popobawa.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by luciano Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Im sleeping in the bathtub tonight.......
luciano
luciano

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 517

https://talkusdown.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:16 pm

luciano wrote:Im sleeping in the bathtub tonight.......

Good move!! Very Happy
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:

Good move!! Very Happy

Heck with sleeping in the bathtub, I got a 45 loaded with dum-dums dipped in some real nasty stuff under my pillow. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coontie Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Old Timer wrote:

Good move!! Very Happy

Heck with sleeping in the bathtub, I got a 45 loaded with dum-dums dipped in some real nasty stuff under my pillow. Very Happy

Bullets don't work on them. And unless you tell other people about them they are REALLY rough on you... No place to run or hide! Twisted Evil Razz
coontie
coontie

Male
Gemini Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:50 pm

coontie wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

Good move!! Very Happy

Bullets don't work on them. And unless you tell other people about them they are REALLY rough on you... No place to run or hide! Twisted Evil Razz

Guess there's no way to nip that one in the bud,
No way to put an end to it,
No way to worm out of it,
Ya just really got your butt in in a sling in that situation. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:52 pm

It'd really be in the ringer.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down