Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earthquakes

+2
Peregrine(Endangered)
Old Timer
6 posters

Go down

Earthquakes Empty Earthquakes

Post by Old Timer Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:43 am

Well I said that it was going to start to do something. We just had a 3.8 quake 18 miles south of us here in Jackson, Wyoming and there was just one in utah, Nevda and on the wyoming - Colorado state line. Yep were gonna shake, ratle and roll here before to long. The couch started shaking when it hit. Rolling Eyes

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Earthquakes Empty Re: Earthquakes

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:56 pm

All I can say is be PREPARED!!!! Shocked
Peregrine(Endangered)
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry05_99 Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Old Timer wrote:Well I said that it was going to start to do something. We just had a 3.8 quake 18 miles south of us here in Jackson, Wyoming and there was just one in utah, Nevda and on the wyoming - Colorado state line. Yep were gonna shake, ratle and roll here before to long. The couch started shaking when it hit. Rolling Eyes

Lets get ready to rumble!!!!

Terry05_99

Male
Taurus Monkey
Number of posts : 177
Job/hobbies : Harley Davidsons, flying, hunting
Humor : Thats not funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 am

Yep there is every possibility that it might happen.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:37 pm

interesting article here could pretain to us here if one did happen in california or washington or missouri

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/01/23/volcanoes-earthquakes.html?campaign=w01-101-ae-0003

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:47 pm

I love earthquakes (compared to other natural alternatives). With tornadoes or hurricanes, your stuff (or you, Dorothy and Todo) won't likely end up where it began. Your barn or car may relocate to the next county. With earthquakes, stuff just falls down, and you can find it right where you left it.

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Well that may be true but as I am just 60 miles south of the worlds largest super volcano, should it blow the world will feel it's effects. Not to mention I won't be here, but here and there and everywhere. we are told we may be due for a 7.5 to happen sometime as it is now about 10,000 yeasr or so over due. That could set off the volcano in the park.

and right now the park is so quiet after all of those quakes (500) it is really weird. I wish I could paste a reading here but no can do.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:04 pm

Old Timer wrote:Well that may be true but as I am just 60 miles south of the worlds largest super volcano, should it blow the world will feel it's effects. Not to mention I won't be here, but here and there and everywhere. we are told we may be due for a 7.5 to happen sometime as it is now about 10,000 yeasr or so over due. That could set off the volcano in the park.

and right now the park is so quiet after all of those quakes (500) it is really weird. I wish I could paste a reading here but no can do.

I hear ya. I'm closer than that to a larger dormant (not extinct, just inactive). She could wake at any time, but we'll let'er sleep as long as she wishes.

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:07 pm

And even sing her a lullabye if necessary

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:09 pm

Old Timer wrote:And even sing her a lullabye if necessary

The local fruitcakes take care of that......

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:15 pm

any chance of them offering themselves as a sacrifice to keep it quiet????

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Old Timer wrote:any chance of them offering themselves as a sacrifice to keep it quiet????

We keep trying. They keep getting rejected (return to sender).

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Maybe put a sack over their heads or a mask??

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Old Timer wrote:Maybe put a sack over their heads or a mask??

That would be cruel, and too much execution-like. Besides, it didn't work. Even tried the mouth-ducktape and a good bath method. Still no worky. It's unfortunate, and annoying to us, but the high country attracts all the fruits and nuts. Trying to get closer to "their god", or whatever. Like the grunions, they are almost as seasonally predictable. We used to make sport of it (bets and predictions, and an occasional fun-poking and string-alongs), but that got old. They just keep coming. No end in sight. Once in a while, a sandwich and a beer gets my wood stacked. Don't allow any night-overs, though. Once word got out, my pasture would turn into the Berkley lawn! The thought of "hippies", fog of pot smoke and VW buses parked everywhere. If that were appealing to me, I would have attended Woodstock. Not that there's anything wrong with that....just not my cup o' tea. More power to 'em, just not here.

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:16 pm

You got that right. We had our fill of them to. Now they go to the south of us. the park don't want them either.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:48 pm

I heard if you threw a 18 year old virgin in volcanos they'd stay at rest for 100 years. Good luck on the search for one though. Wink

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Yeah Dawg, you probably did your best to make sure that we could not find one either. lol!
Just look at the amount of quakes that are taking place in this country right now

Image hosted by servimg.com

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:09 pm

Yep, and those couple on the east isn't but 3 or 4 hours away from me. 2 and a half if I'm driving. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:14 pm

btw, I aint been able to find but one v in my life time. (talking women I ... you know) But yea, I took care of that.... oh to be 16... errr uhhh 18 Very Happy again.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:32 am

CarolinaHound wrote:btw, I aint been able to find but one v in my life time. (talking women I ... you know) But yea, I took care of that.... oh to be 16... errr uhhh 18 Very Happy again.

Oh yeah, to be that age again and have the knowledge that we do right now. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:btw, I aint been able to find but one v in my life time. (talking women I ... you know) But yea, I took care of that.... oh to be 16... errr uhhh 18 Very Happy again.

Oh yeah, to be that age again and have the knowledge that we do right now. Very Happy

If I knew then, what I know now....one word....prison!

DM007

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:59 pm

DM007 wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

If I knew then, what I know now....one word....prison!

You aint lying there buddy! lmao

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Yeah, maybe it is a good thing that we can't go back in time. Just think of the trouble that we could not only get into but, the trouble that we would cause future generations. Now athat gives me an Idea. I am headed for the science threads.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:53 pm

Hey Dawg, 3.1 just north ( 18 miles ) of Knoxville Tenn. 200 miles from Atlanta. It is coming for ya. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Old Timer wrote:Hey Dawg, 3.1 just north ( 18 miles ) of Knoxville Tenn. 200 miles from Atlanta. It is coming for ya. Very Happy

Uhhh... How do ya throw a virgin in a Earth quake???? Maybe one of them homely women staying down the road.... na doubt they are either. Laughing

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Bad news fella, that don't work on quakes. The Quakes in Missouri, Arkansaw and the new one are all probably part of the New Madrie fault line. That is one that could really go big also. In other quakers the park is starting to rumble a little bit again.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Just happening today, and if this thing goes big it could set off some of the fault lines here in the lower 48. It has happened before

Jan. 29, 2009 -- Mount Redoubt, a volcano 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, is rumbling and simmering, prompting geologists to warn that an eruption may be imminent.

Scientists from the Alaska Volcano Observatory have been monitoring activity round-the-clock since the weekend.

On Thursday, the observatory said: "Seismicity remains above background and largely unchanged with several volcanic earthquakes occurring every hour."

The last time the 10,197-foot peak blew was during a five-month stretch starting in December 1989. It disrupted international air traffic and placed a layer of volcanic dust throughout the Anchorage area.

Volcanoes in Alaska, including Redoubt, typically erupt explosively, shooting ash almost eight miles high. Volcanic ash features small, jagged pieces of rock and glass.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy12982 Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:46 am

Old Timer wrote:Bad news fella, that don't work on quakes. The Quakes in Missouri, Arkansaw and the new one are all probably part of the New Madrie fault line. That is one that could really go big also. In other quakers the park is starting to rumble a little bit again.

The New Madrid fault line can calm down......me no likey shakey.....as for an eruption in this area...it would have to be Ky or further south...we have no mountians here... pale

krazy12982

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:02 am

Well I hope that it does settle down for ya. I haven't heard anything about that fault line doing anything major, but then ya just never know. Don'st lose any sleep over it. If I hear of anything bad about any area I will post it here and keep ya informed. Have a greeat one Krazy. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:06 am

Well, about 30 minutes ago there was another shaker about 52 miles just southwest of us at 3.2 on the scale. That is 2 quakes here in a little over a week now. Folks here are starting to wonder if we are being set up for that 7.5 quake they say that is about 10,000 years over due for this area. Once not to long ago when one of the volcanos up in Alaska blew it's top ( like the one they say is going to blow now up there just south of anchorage ) it caused a large earthquake storm here in the valley and did some damage in the park. Things could get interesting here bounce

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:41 pm

I have just read a report on that earthquake swarm that we had in the park during Dec & Jan. they said that it was the second most intense swarm since they began keeping records. It is still baffling the scientists as it was mostly all in one place right near the dome under the lake. Of course they have stated that there is no danger. Very Happy

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down