Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knots for fishing.

5 posters

Go down

Knots for fishing. Empty Knots for fishing.

Post by Theophilus Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 am

When it comes to fishing for me. There are certain things for me that take enjoyment from doing so. Such as I don't know how to do the simple things like tie certain knots. Or when to and how to use certain jigs, or how to properly tie them on. Also weights. How much weight to use and when.
I see some of these fishing shows, they seem to be geared towards people who already know the basics. So not knowing the basics I really can't learn from them.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Knots for fishing. Empty Re: Knots for fishing.

Post by DM007 Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:48 am

Knots can be easy, or not so easy. It depends on what type of fishing you do, and the tackle you use. If you only use a fixed real, monofilament line, store-bought flies/lures or bait, you can get by with only one or two knots. If you tie your own flies/lures, or fly fish, you'll need 4 or 5. There are several online sites, with illustrations, that can describe them better than I can on a forum page (got no pictures). Most of the major manufactures and suppliers have tutorials. Some even videos. Check 'em out. Another really good place to find advice, is on the packages of your fishing supplies. Don't throw away the wrappers until you've read them. Or, buy a book or video. Learn the "barrel knot" and the "leader knot", and that's probably all you'll ever need. The "leader knot" for making loops, and the "barrel knot" for tying on flies and lures or splicing line (they go through guides and reels well). Don't use squares or grannies. Lures don't grow on trees.

Weights (sinkers) are simple. Use no more than needed. You don't need a lot of weight to drown worms. Only enough to keep your bait where you want it. Depth and current can have a lot more effect on your selection than the actual weight of your rig.

Suspension weights are not as simple. You either need a knack for it, or lots (as in, LOTS) of practice. If you are using a float/bobber, the weight should not cause the bobber to bob below the surface, and the weight shouldn't dredge (dig up the bottom). Again....practice.

Lure weights are different, yet. If fishing in heavy current, placing a split-shot on your leader can help with control. Too much weight will stick your lure to the bottom or a log (gets expensive and frustrating, after a while). Practice...practice...practice.

If you need more than you find, PM me. I can help you dig up some resources.

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:23 am

DM007 gave good advice. and for knots here's a link. Just click on the knot you're interestded in and it will walk you through it.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:42 am

I nots knows knots 2 I wants fishy me goes market. Me no tells tall tales Laughing

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by Anti-Thesisofreason Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:41 pm

I've just recently taken an interest in tying knots as a hobby. However I don't fish but I have made a couple of bracelets with paracord! I will have to post some pictures.
Anti-Thesisofreason
Anti-Thesisofreason

Male
Sagittarius Cat
Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : Civil War re-enacting, tying knots, reading
Humor : Yes I has it.
Registration date : 2009-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:41 pm

Tying knots is considered an art form by many. You can make a lot of cool stuff with macrame. (hehe I know a fancy word for knot tying clown )

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down