A Video Worth Watching

Go down

A Video Worth Watching

Post by PaulM on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 pm

Sorry... this cannot be embedded...

http://www.maniacworld.com/american-form-of-government.html

IMO... a pretty good illustration of where partisan politics will lead us.

Male
Aquarius Dragon
Number of posts : 577
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Video Worth Watching

Post by HotParadox on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:50 pm

wow. what can be so difficult to understand has been put in very simple terms. this enlightened me in so many areas in which i was ignorant. thank you very much, paul. i will send this link to many, as i think it is of the utmost importance and of unusual clarity.

HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051
Registration date : 2009-01-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Thank you Paul. That was very educational. I always thought a democracy and a republic were the same the thing.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes

View user profile http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:02 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:Thank you Paul. That was very educational. I always thought a democracy and a republic were the same the thing.

Excellent my friend, simply excellent. And I do believe sthat this is still correct, Hope my menory is ok here.

I PLEDE ALEGIENCE TO THE FLAG AND TO THE Very Happy REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS. SAID IT AS A KID AND I STILL BELIEVE IT. AND I GUESS I WILL DIE BELIEVING IT AND DEFENDING IT IF NEED BE. I love you

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:17 pm

my boys are very familiar with the long version of this and have embedded it here for us. the link will show it in a larger screen:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6732659166933078950&ei=5WzuSebMNJ6SrQL9lIHNBQ&q=john+birch+society

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:33 am

Very edmactional. Thank you HP and Paul. Anybody know where I can get a copy of the federalist papaers? hehehe... Twisted Evil

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 am

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:44 am

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:06 am

Thanks, but I'm not a big fan of the John Birch Society...

Male
Aquarius Dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 am

This just about covers the whole nine yards about the videp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic#Concepts_of_democracy

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:03 am

PaulM wrote:Thanks, but I'm not a big fan of the John Birch Society...
i'm ordinarily not a big fan of jbs either, but your short video is from the JBS, just a shorter version of the original. i haven't viewed the original long vid, but your short vid seems to be accurate.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:01 pm

I watched this and had to think about it for a while. Here's my problem with the video. I don't think you can have a republic without a democracy. They are connected like salt and pepper or peanut butter and jelly. They have to go together. A republic is a government system that is only there to protect the people and the government is ruled by law. So who makes those laws? You have to have people in place to make those laws and make sure any law made is fair. Well the most fair way to put these people in place is by free elections where, majority rules. So you will always have a 'majority rules' democracy within a republic.

On the other hand, I would argue that we are ruled by an oligarchy and always have been. This country was founded by a small group of men that shaped and ruled this country. The only people who could hold office then were rich, white, landowners. Everyone else were second class citizens. The same is true today. We are still ruled by the wealthy. The idea of a republic or a democracy is just rhetoric they feed us to make us feel like we have a choice.
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Big Slick wrote:I watched this and had to think about it for a while. Here's my problem with the video. I don't think you can have a republic without a democracy. They are connected like salt and pepper or peanut butter and jelly. They have to go together. A republic is a government system that is only there to protect the people and the government is ruled by law. So who makes those laws? You have to have people in place to make those laws and make sure any law made is fair. Well the most fair way to put these people in place is by free elections where, majority rules. So you will always have a 'majority rules' democracy within a republic.

On the other hand, I would argue that we are ruled by an oligarchy and always have been. This country was founded by a small group of men that shaped and ruled this country. The only people who could hold office then were rich, white, landowners. Everyone else were second class citizens. The same is true today. We are still ruled by the wealthy. The idea of a republic or a democracy is just rhetoric they feed us to make us feel like we have a choice.

But the majority does not rule in our elections because the electoral collage can go against what the voters want.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:42 pm

ya, what doggieboy said.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Slick on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:19 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
But the majority does not rule in our elections because the electoral collage can go against what the voters want.

That sounds good in theory, but when has that actually happened? When has the majority of a state voted one way and the electoral votes went against the people?

Besides, the electoral system is only used in one election - the president. Who wins your city council positions - majority vote. Who wins the office of Mayor - majority vote. Who wins Govenor - majority vote, senate - majority, house - majority, sheriff - majority, judges (not including federal judges) - majority. Name any position voted on and you will have majority rules.
Big Slick

Male
Number of posts : 403
Job/hobbies : Poker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Big Slick wrote:I watched this and had to think about it for a while. Here's my problem with the video. I don't think you can have a republic without a democracy. They are connected like salt and pepper or peanut butter and jelly. They have to go together. A republic is a government system that is only there to protect the people and the government is ruled by law. So who makes those laws? You have to have people in place to make those laws and make sure any law made is fair. Well the most fair way to put these people in place is by free elections where, majority rules. So you will always have a 'majority rules' democracy within a republic.

This was my thought as well. Ruling by law may make it a more convoluted democracy, and probably a more stable democracy, but it's still the people that are deciding upon the laws, and it's still the people that can decide to change those laws.

Is there in any procedure in the US whereby you can modify your constitution? We can do it here, but it needs to go to a referendum, and we need an overall majority to vote yes, plus a majority of states to vote yes.
Kazza

Male
Number of posts : 342
Job/hobbies : Physicist
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:46 pm

Kazza wrote:

This was my thought as well. Ruling by law may make it a more convoluted democracy, and probably a more stable democracy, but it's still the people that are deciding upon the laws, and it's still the people that can decide to change those laws.

Is there in any procedure in the US whereby you can modify your constitution? We can do it here, but it needs to go to a referendum, and we need an overall majority to vote yes, plus a majority of states to vote yes.

Yep, but I have no clue how they go about it. It's easier just to ignore the constitution. I think the only one that's been repealed was prohibition.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM on Sat May 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Kazza wrote:

I apologize Kazza... I didn't see your question.

Yes. Our Constitution can be changed through the amendment process. Basically, an amendment is proposed and voted on by the states. It takes a 2/3 majority vote, I believe, to have the proposed amendment adopted. I know this is an over-simplified explanation, but it covers the basics. Smile

Male
Aquarius Dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down