PROBLEM? ASK ME FOR HELP

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Re: PROBLEM? ASK ME FOR HELP

Post by CarolinaHound on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:41 am

HotParadox wrote:I always hot link. Tell me if I hot link. I find an image on google. Then I copy and paste it to the little icon up top that says:"Image". Is that bad? Is that a hot link?
Copy and paste a link? yea that's hot linking unless that link is to the image on a server/website you own.
This will explain it better. http://altlab.com/hotlinking.html

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

View user profile http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:47 am

DM007 wrote:Check the "properties" of an image you've posted. It's hotlinked. You can tell, because the "location" will be the site you copied it from. Hotlinking is when you post an image, but the image is loaded from the original server, where you first saw it. This is why "hosting" an image is preferred. It is uploaded to a photo server (or a forum server), then served to the post, which is OK (copyright aside). Don't feel bad. Most folks do it this way, and never give it a thought or know they're doing it. If you "upload" an image from your computer, you are not "hotlinking" it.

I don't check images I see here, or elsewhere. I quit looking too close around me a long time ago. I've discovered, if I look too closely, I'm surrounded by crooks. Everyone is guilty of something (and I'm not exempt....I'm only human). I've found it's easier to find (and keep) friends if I don't question every little thing (old habit). Just the curse of a retired LEO (AKA: flatfoot Poindexter mode - suspicious of everything). It's very difficult to just "turn it off". If you think I sound like I'm lecturing, that's it. Let me know. Sometimes I don't even realize it. I do have many other talents, believe it or not. Sometimes, I even have a sense of humor....

You splained it better than I ever could. Thank you. Sometimes I know what I'm talking about but no one else does. hehehe

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:49 am

DM007 wrote:Check the "properties" of an image you've posted. It's hotlinked. You can tell, because the "location" will be the site you copied it from. Hotlinking is when you post an image, but the image is loaded from the original server, where you first saw it. This is why "hosting" an image is preferred. It is uploaded to a photo server (or a forum server), then served to the post, which is OK (copyright aside). Don't feel bad. Most folks do it this way, and never give it a thought or know they're doing it. If you "upload" an image from your computer, you are not "hotlinking" it.

I don't check images I see here, or elsewhere. I quit looking too close around me a long time ago. I've discovered, if I look too closely, I'm surrounded by crooks. Everyone is guilty of something (and I'm not exempt....I'm only human). I've found it's easier to find (and keep) friends if I don't question every little thing (old habit). Just the curse of a retired LEO (AKA: flatfoot Poindexter mode - suspicious of everything). It's very difficult to just "turn it off". If you think I sound like I'm lecturing, that's it. Let me know. Sometimes I don't even realize it. I do have many other talents, believe it or not. Sometimes, I even have a sense of humor....
Haha, I don't think you sound like you're lecturing. Smarty Pants. Very Happy What's a retired LEO/AKA:flatfoot Poindexter mode? I got the suspicious of everything part!

Thanks for the clear explanation. Now I know I'm illegal. I love you

HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:53 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:I always hot link. Tell me if I hot link. I find an image on google. Then I copy and paste it to the little icon up top that says:"Image". Is that bad? Is that a hot link?
Copy and paste a link? yea that's hot linking unless that link is to the image on a server/website you own.
OK, that is what I do sometimes. Shoot.

I'll look at the link and see if I can turn my life around. Very Happy

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:22 am

HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
OK, that is what I do sometimes. Shoot.

I'll look at the link and see if I can turn my life around. Very Happy

I have done the same. I really had no idea I was doing anything wrong. Woops. I guess I will have to upload images to photo bucket. Or something other than hotlinking. I am still somewhat curious about copyright issues. I am glad I saw this info on hotlinking. I had no idea I was doing something wrong. Good thing I use photo bucket a lot.

Theophilus

Male
Capricorn Number of posts : 914
Humor : I miss the humor in what people say at times.
Registration date : 2009-01-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:40 am

Theophilus, I'm glad you asked the initial question because I never would have thought of it being a problem on a forum like this. How do you use photo bucket? I have no idea and have tried but failed. Now you can teach me something. Thanks howdy! If it's not too much trouble to explain, that is. If it takes too much of your time, don't worry about it.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:15 pm

HotParadox wrote:Theophilus, I'm glad you asked the initial question because I never would have thought of it being a problem on a forum like this. How do you use photo bucket? I have no idea and have tried but failed. Now you can teach me something. Thanks howdy! If it's not too much trouble to explain, that is. If it takes too much of your time, don't worry about it.

Just sign up it should have instructions. But for the most part, you save whatever image you want to use to a file on your computer or on your desktop. Go to photobucket and at the top, just below the menu, you should find a box that says upload image and video. to the right it has a list of places to upload it from ie, computer, web URL..etc. Select computer the choose files a box will open that you just use to find your image just as you would to find any file. when you get your image select it and click open and it will be uploaded. When it's done uploading you should be taken to a page that has your images. Run your mouse over the image you want to post here and a list of links will appear below the pic. Move your cursor down to the link that has the [ img ] tag on each end of the link. Copy that link and paste it into your post and post it. and it should show up like this. Just click quote to see what this link looks like here.....

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by DM007 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:50 pm

HotParadox wrote:

Haha, I don't think you sound like you're lecturing. Smarty Pants. Very Happy What's a retired LEO/AKA:flatfoot Poindexter mode? I got the suspicious of everything part!

Thanks for the clear explanation. Now I know I'm illegal. I love you

Law Enforcement Officer.
Flatfoot = Cop
Poindexter = Nerd (or geek), or a dry, humorless, overly intelligent, condescendingly arrogant person. AKA: "Sexual Intellectual".

DM007

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:29 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:Theophilus, I'm glad you asked the initial question because I never would have thought of it being a problem on a forum like this. How do you use photo bucket? I have no idea and have tried but failed. Now you can teach me something. Thanks howdy! If it's not too much trouble to explain, that is. If it takes too much of your time, don't worry about it.

Just sign up it should have instructions. But for the most part, you save whatever image you want to use to a file on your computer or on your desktop. Go to photobucket and at the top, just below the menu, you should find a box that says upload image and video. to the right it has a list of places to upload it from ie, computer, web URL..etc. Select computer the choose files a box will open that you just use to find your image just as you would to find any file. when you get your image select it and click open and it will be uploaded. When it's done uploading you should be taken to a page that has your images. Run your mouse over the image you want to post here and a list of links will appear below the pic. Move your cursor down to the link that has the [ img ] tag on each end of the link. Copy that link and paste it into your post and post it. and it should show up like this. Just click quote to see what this link looks like here.....

Oh, ok, so basically though, I could just save stuff on my computer and then down load it from there. I don't have to use pb, as long as it's saved to a file or desktop on my computer? That is not breaking the law?

BTW, that picture? affraid

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:54 pm

HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Oh, ok, so basically though, I could just save stuff on my computer and then down load it from there. I don't have to use pb, as long as it's saved to a file or desktop on my computer? That is not breaking the law?

BTW, that picture? affraid

No, it's not breaking the law, except copyright if you take it from off the net without the owners permision. Which is rarely enforced unless you're making a ton of money off of it or the owner tells you to remove it. Do you mean with the image button up top? One is just for image where you put the url of the image, you could do that but I don't recommend it because you'd be hosting the image on your computer and using the bandwidth from your connection which if you get enough images going like that could slow your connection down. Plus it might open your computer up to hackers, plus anytime you shut down your computer the image dissapears on the website. The other button to the left of the image button would be prefered, that sets you up with a image host like photobucket, but after you go through the registering, then you can just click that button and it takes care of uploading and hosting it. You just copy the link and put in your message....

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:37 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:All of them. Esp this dude, the old rocker.

Yea, well your Boston pics look goofy too so there... neya tongue

lol!

OH, OH you just brought up Boston.

Woops.

Theophilus

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Theophilus on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:11 am

CarolinaHound wrote:
Theophilus wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:
Theophilus wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

lol!

OH, OH you just brought up Boston.

Woops.

She started it. Don't start none, won't be none. Wink

Just having fun.

hehehehe, so am I. lol

I know. hehe.

I might be a yankee. Though at least I hate Duke.

Also I think we have completely destroyed this thread. Not on purpose. We can ramble on and on can we not?

Theophilus

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:15 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
HotParadox wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

lol!
What did you just say, dork.

You can't read? Do I have to sound it out for ya? tongue I love you
OK, this is really off topic. Bring it to the new thread where you can continue to annoy me with wild abandon.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by par84forme on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:14 pm

I sent a few PMs today....the first was delivered....the rest went to my outbox

is there a limit to the number of pms?

thanks
par84forme

Male
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-02-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:19 pm

Your PM will remain in your outbox until the receiver opens the PM. Only then will it go into the sent box.

As far as limit, your in, sent and out boxes tell you how full they are. Each will stop collecting when each is at 100% full, naturally.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by par84forme on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:22 pm

HotParadox wrote:Your PM will remain in your outbox until the receiver opens the PM. Only then will it go into the sent box.

As far as limit, your in, sent and out boxes tell you how full they are. Each will stop collecting when each is at 100% full, naturally.

as always, you are awesome
par84forme

Male
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-02-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:37 pm

par84forme wrote:
HotParadox wrote:Your PM will remain in your outbox until the receiver opens the PM. Only then will it go into the sent box.

as always, you are awesome
Always happy to help you, par! Very Happy

Just a quick comment: there is no wondering if the receiver has read your pm with our system! bounce

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:03 pm

How do you use the quote icon to quote say only a sentence or two for example

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:28 pm

Highlight what you want to quote and then hit the quote icon.
That will "wrap" it.
If you want to identify the person responsible for the quote, then do the same thing, but add this:

="HotParadox"

to this:

[quote]

so it looks like this, without the the * [*quote="HotParadox" ]

I put in the * to trip the system so you could see how it should look.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:01 pm

I am constantly getting a full page pop up for a sex site. the only time I get it is when I am on the forum, in addition to a full page add for a virus protection that is tryingt to convince you it is internet explorer but it is not. I have also picked up about 4 different viruses here. thankfully my security has caught them all. This is the only place any of this ever happens. This has just started about 3 or 4 days ago and it is really getting boring.

Old Timer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:06 pm

I don't know OT. Just please make sure that you have a good system that will protect your computer against viruses and hackers like firefox. Go into your system every now and then and clean out stuff you don't need and put stuff that you want to keep on a second back up hard drive/on a cd.
Make sure your system runs a daily scan and check the results of the scan every so often, too.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine(Endangered) on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:10 pm

HotParadox wrote:I don't know OT. Just please make sure that you have a good system that will protect your computer against viruses and hackers like firefox. Go into your system every now and then and clean out stuff you don't need and put stuff that you want to keep on a second back up hard drive/on a cd.
Make sure your system runs a daily scan and check the results of the scan every so often, too.

I just starting having pop up problems and I have a great security system Kaspersky internet protection...I will be viewing a post and all this pop up shoot through...they are blocked then my IE is gone...I don't have a problem at scam.com or any other site tod ay. lets see if any others have a problem!!!!
Peregrine(Endangered)

Female
Capricorn Snake
Number of posts : 1132
Job/hobbies : Gardening, Birding
Humor : lots

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:31 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:
HotParadox wrote:I don't know OT. Just please make sure that you have a good system that will protect your computer against viruses and hackers like firefox. Go into your system every now and then and clean out stuff you don't need and put stuff that you want to keep on a second back up hard drive/on a cd.

I just starting having pop up problems and I have a great security system Kaspersky internet protection...I will be viewing a post and all this pop up shoot through...they are blocked then my IE is gone...I don't have a problem at scam.com or any other site tod ay. lets see if any others have a problem!!!!

this is the url of one of them. They keep saying that they are internet explorer by qwest.. I am getting this constantly now.

Old Timer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:53 pm

OLD TIMER:

I AM DELETING THIS LINK. I HAVE SAVED IT FOR REFERENCE.

I DON'T WANT ANYBODY CLICKING ON IT JUST IN THE EVENT THAT IT WILL OPEN THEIR COMPUTER TO A VIRUS.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:01 pm

Peregrine(Endangered) wrote:

You too, Peregrine. I will work on this and get to the bottom of it. Please let me know of any other strange stuff. OK. Thanks.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:40 pm

HotParadox wrote:OLD TIMER:

I AM DELETING THIS LINK. I HAVE SAVED IT FOR REFERENCE.

I DON'T WANT ANYBODY CLICKING ON IT JUST IN THE EVENT THAT IT WILL OPEN THEIR COMPUTER TO A VIRUS.

There is another one that Iwill try to get for you. Also I will be in contact with Qwest my ISP tomorrow and let them know that someone is using their name. If it is them I will let you know.

Old Timer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:51 pm

ok ot. PM it to me, please.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulM on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Old Timer wrote:I am constantly getting a full page pop up for a sex site. the only time I get it is when I am on the forum, in addition to a full page add for a virus protection that is tryingt to convince you it is internet explorer but it is not. I have also picked up about 4 different viruses here. thankfully my security has caught them all. This is the only place any of this ever happens. This has just started about 3 or 4 days ago and it is really getting boring.

Is one of your ads for a program called "Spyware Protect 2009"?

Also... do you have a little blue and white "shield" in your task bar to indicate a running program?

If you can answer Yes to both questions you have a virus.

Male
Aquarius Dragon
Number of posts : 577
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:27 pm

PaulM wrote:
Old Timer wrote:I am constantly getting a full page pop up for a sex site. the only time I get it is when I am on the forum, in addition to a full page add for a virus protection that is tryingt to convince you it is internet explorer but it is not. I have also picked up about 4 different viruses here. thankfully my security has caught them all. This is the only place any of this ever happens. This has just started about 3 or 4 days ago and it is really getting boring.

Is one of your ads for a program called "Spyware Protect 2009"?

Also... do you have a little blue and white "shield" in your task bar to indicate a running program?

If you can answer Yes to both questions you have a virus.

I had that once a long time ago. viruses get stoped immedaitly by windows live one care.

Old Timer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:00 pm

I have a firewall, an anti virus pro program and Stop Zilla to stop ads, pop ups, hackers, adware, spy ware etc. Plus a sysytem scan is done constantly. Something bad has really hit this site. I noticed it last night and it is much worse today. When I come on, I am getting hit dozens of times with something. It is being blocked by my software(s) but I am getting the alerts by my software(s) that this is occurring. I mean, I get 20 to 30 hits just comming on before I can ever choose a forum let alone a thread. I have to wait til the attack stops. Then when I choose any forum it happens again, like 20-30 times. I have to wait til it stops trying to get access to my system yet again. Then I choose a thread and same thing happens before I can post. If I go out of the thread and just back to the forum, same thing happens again. I do not get this anywhere else on the net, except on here. The most I have ever gotten on the net in searches/websites for example, is one or two quick hits and that's it and then it ends.

Edit...I came and edited my post because I noticed a typo and it happened again, I got several hits. Also, when I finished my post and sent it, I was hit several times again and "stuck" until it stopped trying to gain access. Then I could finally move on back to the thread to view my post.

Last edited by Put It Out There Baby on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Put It Out There Baby

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2009-02-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:05 pm

You too Put It.. OK, I'm working non stop.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:37 pm

I decided to go into my black box of my Stop Zilla to see what the heck is hitting my computer from this site. I am not going to post the entire codes here obviously, but there are dozens and dozens ( i mean they took up pages in the black box just from the 20 minutes or so that I have been here) of hits from:

d.3.zedo.com, rm.yield manager.ad.asmanger etc. It also wants to download an active x control onto my C drive and run it lol and it wants to down load an HTML edit code onto my C drive and run that! Then there are ads from creative clicks serw.click sor.com and some other mishagosh that looks very much like a nice little Trojan. (it had the red alert on it reserved for trojans) Yikes!!!! I would suggest that everyone run a virus scan on their system who has come here recently just to be safe and turn up their settings to high on their protection, just to be safe. It's more than one attack, it's multiple and from multiple sources.

Put It Out There Baby

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 pm

This forum is going on holiday right now.
Admin
Admin

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 187
Humor : Sure

View user profile http://talkusdown.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:36 am

Admin wrote:This forum is going on holiday right now.

Alright I believe I fixed it, please let me know in either of those stickies I made in this section and political chat.

Sorry about all that.
Admin
Admin

Male
Aries Monkey
Number of posts : 187
Humor : Sure

View user profile http://talkusdown.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:02 am

I hope we get good reports from those of you that were effected. I won't be around until I get home from work, prob around 4 pm but I'll peek in often. Please let me know if you're all ok.

Good night everybody. Sleep

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Put It Out There Baby on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 am

It's great so far. I am on (obviously) and so far not even one hit!

Put It Out There Baby

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:58 am

happy to hear that piotb.

i'm snowed in today and i'll be around all day. if anybody has a problem, post it in problem? but i'm confident that we're all set.

thank you so much, all of you, for putting up with us. I love you

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:58 am

Is it possible to place a rss feed or a cap feed here by simply copy/pasteing the code or??

Old Timer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xshivx on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:15 pm

how do i change my email adress on my account? it wont let me do it
xshivx

Female
Taurus Horse
Number of posts : 1115
Job/hobbies : i work as a lobby hostess at mcdonalds, my hobbies are, singing, dancing, playing the drums, writing
Humor : a bit of everything
Registration date : 2009-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm

xshivx wrote:how do i change my email adress on my account? it wont let me do it
pm it to me, hun.

HotParadox

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next