Talk Us Down
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coins

4 posters

Go down

Coins Empty Coins

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:42 pm

OT got me interested in learning about the coins my mother gave me. I thought I'd make a thread to show off coins if anybody is interested. Who knows? Somebody may have something OT would be willing to part with some of his millions for. hehehehe... Laughing
All that I have are circulated, but it makes me wonder what kind of history each coin has. Who might have spent some of these coins? Maybe even stole them. Could one of these have been in the last robberies of Jessie James? Maybe one could be a coin dillinger possed when he was killed. Doubt it, but it does put an air of mystery to them.

Coins Morgan_dollars

Coins Morgan_dollarsb

Coins Morgan_s_1878

Coins 1922_silver_peace_dollar

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 4843
Job/hobbies : Being loveable me.
Humor : yes
Registration date : 2009-01-13

http://www.bassbucknbirdhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Coins Empty Re: Coins

Post by Old Timer Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:30 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
OT got me interested in learning about the coins my mother gave me. I thought I'd make a thread to show off coins if anybody is interested. Who knows? Somebody may have something OT would be willing to part with some of his millions for. hehehehe... Laughing
All that I have are circulated, but it makes me wonder what kind of history each coin has. Who might have spent some of these coins? Maybe even stole them. Could one of these have been in the last robberies of Jessie James? Maybe one could be a coin dillinger possed when he was killed. Doubt it, but it does put an air of mystery to them.

Coins Morgan_dollars

Coins Morgan_dollarsb

Coins Morgan_s_1878

Coins 1922_silver_peace_dollar

Beautiful Dawg. Coin collecting can be either inexpensive or very expensive. Unless you have money to burn Iwould suggest that a beginner go with the cheapest they can find until they have completed th set. Then they can go after the top of the line coins as they can afford them.

Old Timer

Male
Number of posts : 4718

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Old Timer wrote:

Beautiful Dawg. Coin collecting can be either inexpensive or very expensive. Unless you have money to burn Iwould suggest that a beginner go with the cheapest they can find until they have completed th set. Then they can go after the top of the line coins as they can afford them.

Thanks OT. I wouldn't worry about me getting too hard into coins right now. It's more than I can afford to keep up with my comic books. I was just interested in learning a little about these. Wink

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:02 pm

These are pretty interesting too...

Coins Halfdollars_a

Coins Halfdollars_b

Coins Franklin_1952_50

Coins Walking_liberty_half_dollar

Coins Jfk_1964_50

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Actually that is quite a little collection you have there. You ought to catalouge them with a list for each type listing year-and mint mark. You can purchase some covers for the really cheap on the web. I keep all of my coins in the banks vault with a safe deposit box. For 35 dollars a year it is worth it. Above all never use any cleaner on them and never rub them. It destroys their value, and some of those are in pretty good shape.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Oh no, I learned many moons ago if it's a possible antique or collectable, leave it dirty. That goes for anything, guns, furnature, or anything. Collectors would rather have it with the wear, rust, and tarnish of age than something somebody tried to clean.

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:16 am

CarolinaHound wrote:

I see you are philosopher like me. Coins Cool I like to look at the old things and think of history each thing has. Especially the coins.. They got through many hands... Coins Rolleyes2
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon
Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Layout Designer/English and Russian subtitles
Humor : Да/Yes
Registration date : 2009-01-17

http://stagevu.com/user/birubir

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:19 am

While I was writing my post, CarolinaHound had drop into the water. Coins Lol
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:22 am

Good collection, indeed. Coins Greeting Coins Ok
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BiR Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:47 am

I have only these American coins.

Coins Img_2411

Coins Img_2412
BiR
BiR

Male
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 am

BiR wrote:While I was writing my post, CarolinaHound had drop into the water. Coins Lol

I decided to take a swim. Very Happy

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:30 pm

I wouldlove to show off my coins but I would have to take them out of the bank and remove them from their protective covers and I would really rather not do that. Right now I have every top of the line penny from 1957 to date and it would take a lot of time to show them all. I am working my way back to 1909 Before long it will start to get expensive.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HotParadox Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:17 am

That's a very impressive collection doggieboy. Beautiful. The boys used to collect coins as little kids; it's a nice hobby for a kid.
One of the boys, Keith, he used to collect stamps. We'd go to Stamp Shows from the age of 10 until his teens. He made me a beautiful framed collage of stamps from around the world when he was around 15, maybe younger. Old ones, mostly. He fixed them to an artist poster board, kind of overlapping each other, matted it and framed it. The finished piece is about 3 ft x 2 ft and it really is beautiful and very interesting. His stamp collection won him first prize in the county hobby fair. Pretty good for a young kid, he was in the 5th grade at the time, and it's those kinds of hobbies that keep kids out of trouble. Big kids, too, like you and OT, hehe!
HotParadox
HotParadox

Female
Number of posts : 4051

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:15 am

My latest addition to my collection. this is a gem proof coin.

Image hosted by servimg.com

This is the newest gem proof penny issued.
Image hosted by servimg.com

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Could this be concidered an error or a double die OT? Notice to the left of lincoln's statue two pillars over. It's a 2001 btw.

Coins 4-5-2010105129PM

Coins 4-5-2010105129PMb

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:28 am

What it looks like is a small imprefection or a small piece of foreign material in the die. It is definately not an error or double die. This would be clear all over the entire coin or the date. I have some in a jaar that I call the oddities. JUst face value but what the heck ya just never know.

I also have a 1937 D Buffalo nickle that is sclearly a double die. However there were thousands made like that and as a result it is not listed in the book. I do have the coin registered with the A.N.A. And I cannot find another one like it. I have contacted many dealers and said I woujld but one if they can find one. So far not one has surfaced. If I can get it listed I just may have the only one. Now that would be worth a pretty penny at an auction.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Old Timer wrote:What it looks like is a small imprefection or a small piece of foreign material in the die. It is definately not an error or double die. This would be clear all over the entire coin or the date. I have some in a jaar that I call the oddities. JUst face value but what the heck ya just never know.

I also have a 1937 D Buffalo nickle that is sclearly a double die. However there were thousands made like that and as a result it is not listed in the book. I do have the coin registered with the A.N.A. And I cannot find another one like it. I have contacted many dealers and said I woujld but one if they can find one. So far not one has surfaced. If I can get it listed I just may have the only one. Now that would be worth a pretty penny at an auction.

Weeelllll there ya go again. Bustin' my bubble.
Coins I_miss_ronald_reagan_t_shirt_shirts

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:38 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:What it looks like is a small imprefection or a small piece of foreign material in the die. It is definately not an error or double die. This would be clear all over the entire coin or the date. I have some in a jaar that I call the oddities. JUst face value but what the heck ya just never know.

Would ya rather I lie? Never give up. If you don't look ya can't find them A long time ago I actually found a three legged buffalo nickle.. You just never know.

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolinaHound Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

Would ya rather I lie? Never give up. If you don't look ya can't find them A long time ago I actually found a three legged buffalo nickle.. You just never know.

lol, nope, don't lie. I just felt like doing my Ronald Reagan impersonation. I sound just like him don't I? Laughing

CarolinaHound

Male
Sagittarius Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:54 pm

CarolinaHound wrote:
Old Timer wrote:
CarolinaHound wrote:

lol, nope, don't lie. I just felt like doing my Ronald Reagan impersonation. I sound just like him don't I? Laughing

Yeah and yer starting to look like him to. lol

Old Timer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum